help MS ACCESS\SAS, general database questions

Hi to all,
	I need some help deciding on the best database system for our
specific application.
OPTIONAL INFO:  We currently have 2 separate projects that need to be
updated from dos-based dBase.  I'll only describe one of these but the
other is comparable in size.  The project currently has about 32
files.  The 2 largest are about 30,000 records and 5 columns include
data from the last 30 years.  The other 30 files are created by year
and are about 1000 records and 10 columns.  There are only 2 or 3
people keying in data, never at the same time.  We also have a sonic
digitizer (measures distance between age rings on fish scales) from
which data is fed into the dBase form.  I think the data transfer
program is written in C and the dBase form is written in Clipper. We
currently have MS Access and SAS.  My suggestion was to design the
same type of user entry forms in MS Access and place the files on a
shared drive on our network server (already in place and routinely
backed up).  If the amount of data or number of users increased we
could consider going to a database server with Access as the "front
end."  Most of the analysis is performed in SAS which can readily
import Access tables.
I was met with some opposition:
SAS/ACCESSS/SERVER QUESTIONS:
There was a strong objection to using ODBC to get data into SAS (when
discussing database servers).  Does SAS Import wizard use ODBC? Are
there inherent problems with ODBC?  Is there any advantage to having
data analyzed in SAS in SAS data sets?  Any problems adding a database
server in the future?
SAS QUESTIONS:
Some of the work creating the SAS data entry forms is already
completed (by someone outside our agency who is unavailable now).  I
did not know SAS even had database  software until I started on this
project.  I currently have used SAS only for statistics and have only
the intro. Programming course.  What SAS training would I need to get
up to speed on creating forms and managing this type of database?  The
SAS packages we currently have are:  STAT, AF, ETS, IML, SHARE GIS,
SHARE*NET, INTEGRATION TECH.,APPDEV STUDIO, AND ACC/ORACLE.  Would we
need to purchase other packages to use SAS as our database software?

The last piece of advice given to me at the meeting was "keep it
simple."  Obviously I am not a database administrator (nor am I paid
like one).  I am an entry level biologist that has used MS Access to
manage a desktop database.  I don't mind learning the SAS database
system if it provides a better solution.  OR IS THERE A BETTER
SOLUTION OUT THERE?  Should we consider hiring a consultant?
I am posting this to both the SAS and ACCESS user groups to get the
range of responses.
Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post,
Rob

help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions
Hi to all, I need some help deciding on the best database system for our specific application. OPTIONAL INFO: We currently have 2 separate projects that need to be updated from dos-based dBase. I'll only describe one of these but the other is comparable in size. The project currently has about 32 files. The 2 largest are about 30,000 records and 5 columns include data from the last 30 years. The other 30 files are created by year and are about 1000 records and 10 columns. There are only 2 or 3 people keying in data, never at the same time. We also have a sonic digitizer (measures...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions
Without having enough time to analyze excatly, what are your needs: if there are no important reasons why the data must be keept in MS Access: why you don't keep it all in SAS? If you are analyzing in SAS, there is no real reason to have any other DB to hold the data. For users you have many possibilities to give them comfortable possibilities to enter data, in or outside SAS. In SAS, the most easy idea is to use SAS/FSP. But that is not necessary. You can use nearly any tool for data entry and bring the (standard formatted) data into SAS. To get a consultant for realizing a proper solutio...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions #3
Rob: MS Access imports data easily from dBase (*.dbf) files. I see no advantage in moving to SAS for that feature, especially if you would prefer to use the basic DE form controls in MS Access to develop what should be a simple DE capability. Although ODBC transfers of data from MS Access (*.mdb) databases has some pitfalls, as does OLEdb or other middleware (in particular, conversions of integers to floating point numbers, date/time values, and nulls/missings), a bit of Q/C will help you iron out the wrinkles and set up a reliable connection. It often helps as well to separate a data collecti...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions #2
You're describing my project with the Department of Education! We had a dbase database and used a Clipper application to massage it into 'presentable' form. And I thought I was on the bleeding edge (back edge, that is) 8 years ago. As with everything, it depends on what your main purpose is. In my case, it was to disseminate the information to as many people as possible in a format that could be read by/into as many applications as possible. So, we converted our data to flat files and supplied an 'application' that generated sas code that would read the flat files into...

paltalk MS ACCESS, general database questions
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C7AAE9.97F77F70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable www.Paltalk.com: Welcome to the ms access database programmer Group = unsha ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C7AAE9.97F77F70 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-88...

MS Access database Help!
I used MS Access as my backend database to store Japanese and Chinese data. while I use listbox to link MS Access, both Japanese and Chinese turned out to be CRAZY characters. does anyone know how to solve this problem? ...

Database MS Access question
i need help about matlab database toolbox, when i use the "database" function, matlab return an object with the message "[1x100 char]" any other function called on this object return the message "closed or invalid connection" the odbc defaul had been set correctly and the MS Access database had an only one empty table...... WHAT'S UP?????? ...

This is the code that I found on the internet for accessing an ms access database: import java.sql.*; class Test { public static void main(String[] args) { try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); // set this to a MS Access DB you have on your machine String filename = "d:/java/mdbTEST.mdb"; String database = "jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ="; database+= filename.trim() + ";DriverID=22;READONLY=true}"; // add on to the end ...

access to MS Access password-protected database?
Can anyone direct me towards a code snippet showing how to use Python to insert data into a password-protected MS Access database? My google searches have been uninformative for dbs that are password-protected. Thanks, Ken On Feb 11, 10:43=A0am, Ken McDonald <kmmcdon...@medicine.wisc.edu> wrote: > Can anyone direct me towards a code snippet showing how to use Python =A0 > to insert data into a password-protected MS Access database? My google = =A0 > searches have been uninformative for dbs that are password-protected. > > Thanks, > Ken You post is a little vague...

Hi! Is there a MATLAB command which gives access to a .mdb MS Access database or do I need a special driver? Thanks, Andree Hi Andree Ellert, you can use activeXcontrol to interact with MS-Access database. access = actxserver('Access.Application'); returns the handle for Access. set(access, 'Visible', 1); will show the opened Access window. use get(access) and set(access) commands to find the methods available to call. -Vadivelu M =========== http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/database/datatool.shtml "Andree Ellert" <ellert@gmx.net////...

I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how can i make client access database located on the server? "HeMan_Speaks" <Lunar20092010@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d71ce567-0434-48b8-b1d2-bb191706ab45@w8g2000prd.googlegroups.com... >I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how > can i make client access database located on the server? I think you're going to have to expand a little bit more in your question here, as is not 100% quite clear what you're trying to do. You might want to make a little bit of a d...

Web resources about - help MS ACCESS\SAS, general database questions - comp.databases.ms-access

Alo-Bridget Namoa charged with refusing to answer Crime Commission questions
The teenage wife of Sydney terror suspect Sameh Bayda is a supporter of the extremist group Islamic State and may be willing to assist in carrying ...

Question Of The Day: Would any Americans buy a small pickup?
Filed under: Etc. , Car Buying There was once a time when Americans had their pick of small-but-useful pickups. Would we tolerate them today? ...

Dog questions.
1. Should I pick a particular breed because I thought of a name that's specific to the breed? I'm thinking of a pug named Nate , which would ...

Yellen Says Legality of Negative Fed Rates in Question
The Federal Reserve has not yet determined whether it would be able to legally implement negative interest rates in the U.S., Chair Janet Yellen ...

Brie Larson had the perfect response to a question about her Oscar dress
Brie Larson is the frontrunner to win the Best Actress Oscar for "Room." At an Academy Award press conference, she was asked what she'll be wearing ...

Super Bowl ad raises questions about mortgage process - Videos - CBS News
After a commercial touting an easier way to receive a mortgage aired during the Super Bowl, critics blasted the company who ran it, saying easy ...

Seth Meyers Mocks Ben Carson’s Debate Entrance, Questions Is Carson ‘Really A Brain Surgeon?’
Seth Meyers Mocks Ben Carson’s Debate Entrance, Questions Is Carson ‘Really A Brain Surgeon?

Podtoid questions: It's what's for dinner
Let me tell you about questions: I like 'em, I love 'em, and I want some more of 'em. Podtoid 322: Football or Gay Porn? was a great 'cast that's ...

Question of the Day: What Kinds of Accessories do You Buy for Your Phones?
When you buy a new smartphone, not only do you get to enjoy a brand new phone with new features and a new camera and a new gorgeous display, ...