Help setting up Ms-Access Database

I'm hoping that someone here can give me some assistance with a
database I'm trying to set up. My skills in Access are fairly basic,
and I'm trying to skill up, but some of the stuff is a little opaque.

I'm trying to put some data I've got on paper into Access. Recently,
got together with some other people marketing organic produce and
offered to do some marketing for us on a coop basis in the city.

The idea I had was to have four marketing packages for coop members
with different rates and services. For want of something better lets
call them P1, P2, P3 & P4

I'm thinking I'll need a table with the packages, and one listing the
coop members with their details. In theory, a coop member might
acquire another farm (either a new one or one from someone bailing
out) and put it on a separate package.

Which tables would have to have a relationship?

I'm thinking the packages table containing the dat about each package
would have to be related via a common field to the coop member table,
and there would probably have to be a link between that and the farm
table, through common fields -- maybe a unique ID in the coop member
table could appear in the farm table and maybe the primary key from
the package table could also appear in the farm table as a foreign
key. But am I right?

I'd also like to create a form that would list an individual coop
member's details plus any packages they own and assume that all I'd
need to do would be to ensure that there was a specified report for
the form to call. Is that right? Is 'switchboard manager' the way to
go here?

I'd also like to create a macro to automatically open the database.
I've had a bit of a look through Access and maybe I've missed it, but
could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance ...

JD

PS Further to this, it occurs to me that if I'm going to permit coop
members to have more than one package then maybe I need some sort of
transactions table in which the records would be packages actually
taken out. Each record could contain the ID from the relevant farm
(the transactions table being the 'one' and the farm being the many)
and an ID from the packages table (eg P1 to P4) where the
transactions
table could be the many.

Am I in a muddle here or on the right track?

JD

PPS ... Bob Badour suggested I clarify the following questions:

"How many packages can a farm have? "

only 1

"How many packages can a coop member have?"

in theory, unlimited, although only one per farm

"How many farms can a coop member have?"

in theory, unlimited

"How many coop members can a farm have?"

just one

Any assistance would be greatly valued.

JD

0
jpm1121 (3)

On Dec 3, 11:12 am, Jeffrey Davis <jpm1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm hoping that someone here can give me some assistance with a
> database I'm trying to set up. My skills in Access are fairly basic,
> and I'm trying to skill up, but some of the stuff is a little opaque.
>
> I'm trying to put some data I've got on paper into Access. Recently,
> got together with some other people marketing organic produce and
> offered to do some marketing for us on a coop basis in the city.
>
> The idea I had was to have four marketing packages for coop members
> with different rates and services. For want of something better lets
> call them P1, P2, P3 & P4
>
> I'm thinking I'll need a table with the packages, and one listing the
> coop members with their details. In theory, a coop member might
> acquire another farm (either a new one or one from someone bailing
> out) and put it on a separate package.
>
> Which tables would have to have a relationship?
>
> I'm thinking the packages table containing the dat about each package
> would have to be related via a common field to the coop member table,
> and there would probably have to be a link between that and the farm
> table, through common fields -- maybe a unique ID in the coop member
> table could appear in the farm table and maybe the primary key from
> the package table could also appear in the farm table as a foreign
> key. But am I right?
>
> I'd also like to create a form that would list an individual coop
> member's details plus any packages they own and assume that all I'd
> need to do would be to ensure that there was a specified report for
> the form to call. Is that right? Is 'switchboard manager' the way to
> go here?
>
> I'd also like to create a macro to automatically open the database.
> I've had a bit of a look through Access and maybe I've missed it, but
> could someone point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks in advance ...
>
> JD
>
> PS Further to this, it occurs to me that if I'm going to permit coop
> members to have more than one package then maybe I need some sort of
> transactions table in which the records would be packages actually
> taken out. Each record could contain the ID from the relevant farm
> (the transactions table being the 'one' and the farm being the many)
> and an ID from the packages table (eg P1 to P4) where the
> transactions
> table could be the many.
>
> Am I in a muddle here or on the right track?
>
> JD

Ok ,,, I've done the above ... not perfect but workable (still haven't
figured out how to create the macro) ,,,

but I'm trying to build a query that calculates the sum of a number of
records selected by the meeting the value of another field.

I keep getting type mismatches when I try to insert the criterion.

If I better specified (eg by specifying the fuill field and table name
in the correct syntax), would this work?

TIA

JD

0
jpm1121 (3)
12/3/2007 4:15:53 AM
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 20:15:53 -0800 (PST), Jeffrey Davis
<jpm1121@gmail.com> wrote:

Show us your query and the data types of the fields involved. The
error message seems to indicate you're doing something that violates
the data type rules. E.g. Sum(FirstName) would trigger this error, or
"...where FirstName=Tom" (because the quotes are missing).

To start your application, set a startup form, or create an AutoExec
macro.

-Tom.

<clip>

On Dec 3, 8:06 pm, Tom van Stiphout <no.spam.tom7...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 20:15:53 -0800 (PST), Jeffrey Davis
>
> <jpm1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Show us your query and the data types of the fields involved. The
> error message seems to indicate you're doing something that violates
> the data type rules. E.g. Sum(FirstName) would trigger this error, or
> "...where FirstName=Tom" (because the quotes are missing).
>
> To start your application, set a startup form, or create an AutoExec
> macro.
>
> -Tom.
>
> <clip>
>

> >Ok ,,, I've done the above ... not perfect but workable (still haven't
> >figured out how to create the macro) ,,,
>
> >but I'm trying to build a query that calculates the sum of a number of
> >records selected by the meeting the value of another field.
>
> >I keep getting type mismatches when I try to insert the criterion.
>
> >If I better specified (eg by specifying the fuill field and table name
> >in the correct syntax), would this work?
>
> >TIA
>
> >JD- Hide quoted text -

I've just used the standard query app..

When it's run, it accurately extracts the relevant records with the
sales figures displayed for each of them.

SELECT package.Type, farms.Location, farms.farmID, farms.State,
farms.Sales
FROM farms INNER JOIN (coopMember INNER JOIN (package INNER JOIN
agreements ON package.Type = agreements.package) ON
coopMember.coopMemberID = agreements.coopMember) ON farms.farmID =
agreements.Restaurant
GROUP BY package.Type, farms.Location, farms.farmID, farms.State,
farms.Sales
HAVING (((package.Type)="p1"))

I tried to write some script to sum the three extracted records (i.e
all those with p1 as the value of the package type) in a new column,
but no dice.

In Excel, this would be fairly easy as you'd simply write an IF
referenced to the column with the p values specifying p1 and then sum
them at the bottom of the column, but in Access ...

Thanks.

JD

0
jpm1121 (3)
12/3/2007 10:17:19 AM
Jeffrey Davis wrote:
> On Dec 3, 8:06 pm, Tom van Stiphout <no.spam.tom7...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 20:15:53 -0800 (PST), Jeffrey Davis
>>
>><jpm1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Show us your query and the data types of the fields involved. The
>>error message seems to indicate you're doing something that violates
>>the data type rules. E.g. Sum(FirstName) would trigger this error, or
>>"...where FirstName=Tom" (because the quotes are missing).
>>
>>To start your application, set a startup form, or create an AutoExec
>>macro.
>>
>>-Tom.
>>
>><clip>
>>

>>>Ok ,,, I've done the above ... not perfect but workable (still haven't
>>>figured out how to create the macro) ,,,
>>
>>>but I'm trying to build a query that calculates the sum of a number of
>>>records selected by the meeting the value of another field.
>>
>>>I keep getting type mismatches when I try to insert the criterion.
>>
>>>If I better specified (eg by specifying the fuill field and table name
>>>in the correct syntax), would this work?
>>
>>>TIA
>>
>>>JD- Hide quoted text -

> I've just used the standard query app..
>
> When it's run, it accurately extracts the relevant records with the
> sales figures displayed for each of them.
>
> SELECT package.Type, farms.Location, farms.farmID, farms.State,
> farms.Sales
> FROM farms INNER JOIN (coopMember INNER JOIN (package INNER JOIN
> agreements ON package.Type = agreements.package) ON
> coopMember.coopMemberID = agreements.coopMember) ON farms.farmID =
> agreements.Restaurant
> GROUP BY package.Type, farms.Location, farms.farmID, farms.State,
> farms.Sales
> HAVING (((package.Type)="p1"))
>
> I tried to write some script to sum the three extracted records (i.e
> all those with p1 as the value of the package type) in a new column,
> but no dice.

In the Totals row of the query builder (where you see all those
GroupBys), have you considered changing the Sales column from GroupBy to
Sum?

> In Excel, this would be fairly easy as you'd simply write an IF
> referenced to the column with the p values specifying p1 and then sum
> them at the bottom of the column, but in Access ...
>
> Thanks.
>
> JD

0
oil (4047)

Help connect Ms access database
Hello All, I am trying to connect an MS database without utilizing the help of the "querybuilder", I know how to do that using the "querybuilder" but this can't work as I am trying to do an exe file and be able to use it for other pc's that I have. I am doing the following, please correct me if I am wrong, but it is not working at all: dbpath=[matlabroot,'a\toolbox\database\dbdemos\trial.accdb']; conurl = ['jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb,*.accdb)};' ... 'DBQ=' dbpath] conn=database('Trial_now','','&#...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions
Without having enough time to analyze excatly, what are your needs: if there are no important reasons why the data must be keept in MS Access: why you don't keep it all in SAS? If you are analyzing in SAS, there is no real reason to have any other DB to hold the data. For users you have many possibilities to give them comfortable possibilities to enter data, in or outside SAS. In SAS, the most easy idea is to use SAS/FSP. But that is not necessary. You can use nearly any tool for data entry and bring the (standard formatted) data into SAS. To get a consultant for realizing a proper solution might be a good idea. It sometime is not easy trying to learn to program in SAS by developing a productive solution, because it might be not easy to get it in time with all the obstacles, there might be in your way. If you have time (and money) enough, you should take the chance to learn how to do some steps further in SAS programming together with a good consultant. On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:26:59 -0500, Rob Cheshire <rob.cheshire@NOAA.GOV> wrote: >Hi to all, > I need some help deciding on the best database system for our >specific application. >OPTIONAL INFO: We currently have 2 separate projects that need to be >updated from dos-based dBase. I'll only describe one of these but the >other is comparable in size. The project currently has about 32 >files. The 2 largest are about 30,000 records and 5 columns include >data from the last 30 yea...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions #2
You're describing my project with the Department of Education! We had a dbase database and used a Clipper application to massage it into 'presentable' form. And I thought I was on the bleeding edge (back edge, that is) 8 years ago. As with everything, it depends on what your main purpose is. In my case, it was to disseminate the information to as many people as possible in a format that could be read by/into as many applications as possible. So, we converted our data to flat files and supplied an 'application' that generated sas code that would read the flat files into a sas dataset (complete with formats and labels), so the researcher could write their own code to run against the sas dataset. It sounds like your project isn't quite as ambitious, but the reason I include this example is that it's hard to predict what form data will take, say, 5 years from now. I'll bet you've already run into difficulties in using Clipper, and you'd like to avoid these kind of problems the next time you update/analyze your data. Sas has had some changes in going from one version to another--generally, upgrading to the next version involves updating your dataset to the next version's format. So, if you're purpose is to archive your data for the next iteration of your survey, unless you're going to be active in the data, sas might not be the best choice for data storage. Somewhat more stable would be something like SQL server (cheap, ...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions #3
Rob: MS Access imports data easily from dBase (*.dbf) files. I see no advantage in moving to SAS for that feature, especially if you would prefer to use the basic DE form controls in MS Access to develop what should be a simple DE capability. Although ODBC transfers of data from MS Access (*.mdb) databases has some pitfalls, as does OLEdb or other middleware (in particular, conversions of integers to floating point numbers, date/time values, and nulls/missings), a bit of Q/C will help you iron out the wrinkles and set up a reliable connection. It often helps as well to separate a data collection operation from a data analysis group. Even on a small scale, periodic publishing of analytic datasets usually works better than giving researchers continuous access to primary data files. Continuous access makes it more difficult to check estimates for consistency and to replicate earlier results. A separate database for data collection operations also makes it easier to implement a sound database design for operations. Data analysts prefer to restructure data to fit analytic procedures, and have little appreciation of data integrity constraints and data validation. Fortunately you do not have to choose between MS Access (or another DBMS) and SAS. SAS has particular value on the analytic side of your project(s). Access to a data source with a good relational database design guarantees that a SAS programmer can restructure data quickly and accurately into the structures that analysts ...

HELP! Retriving field names and properties from MS Access database using ASP
Hi everyone! I have a really frustrating error and need help. I&#8217;m trying to do a function that gets the properties and names of the fields in a MS Access database using ASP. I haven&#8217;t programmed in a while so I&#8217;m quite lost. Once I have the my database structure I will insert the corresponding fields from a web form but the database is huge and I want to be able to change the database and form without changing the ASP code all the time. This is my function that is not working yet. I cant seem to connect properly to the database... Function InsertDataBase() ...

Web resources about - Help setting up Ms-Access Database - comp.databases.ms-access