Help~ Update a Text Box associated with a selected Combo box

Private Sub PubName_AfterUpdate()

    Dim sql As String
    sql = "select PubCode from Publisher where PubName = '" &
PubName.Value & "';"
    Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(sql)
    MsgBox sql
    If Not rst.BOF Then
        rst.MoveFirst
    End If
    PubCode.Value = rst(0) <-- error

End Sub

PubCode is a text box and PubName is a combo box.
I have a table like this:
Publisher: PubCode, PubName

and my form is like that...
If I selected a PubName in PubName combo box, I want to change the
PubCode correspondingly, since they are actually refering the same
tuple.

But When I use the above code...
run time error 3331 occur sayign that

To make change in this field, first save the record.

I am getting dizzy~~
Can anyone help?
Thx~

"faiyeah" <faifai1201@gmail.com> wrote in

> Private Sub PubName_AfterUpdate()
>
>     Dim sql As String
>     sql = "select PubCode from Publisher where PubName = '" &
> PubName.Value & "';"
>     Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(sql)
>     MsgBox sql
>     If Not rst.BOF Then
>         rst.MoveFirst
>     End If
>     PubCode.Value = rst(0) <-- error
>
> End Sub
>
> PubCode is a text box and PubName is a combo box.
> I have a table like this:
> Publisher: PubCode, PubName
>
> and my form is like that...
> If I selected a PubName in PubName combo box, I want to change
> the PubCode correspondingly, since they are actually refering
> the same tuple.
>
> But When I use the above code...
> run time error 3331 occur sayign that
>
> To make change in this field, first save the record.
>
> I am getting dizzy~~
> Can anyone help?
> Thx~

Since pubname and pubcode both exist in the same table, put them
both in the combobox. Make the pubcode column = 0", so it's not
visible. Then in the combo box after update, set the textbox
value to the value in the hidden column

PubCode.Value = combobox.column(n) where is the number of the
column, counted left to right.

--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.
0
rquintal7643 (498)
3/31/2006 12:07:05 PM
Sorry Bob, I am still not so clear about your idea...
could you be more detail??

Should I create a combobox, with pubname and pubcode and set it
invisible?
and then... what should I do??

Thank you for you great help anyway~

> Sorry Bob, I am still not so clear about your idea...
> could you be more detail??
>
> Should I create a combobox, with pubname and pubcode and set it
> invisible?
> and then... what should I do??
>
> Thank you for you great help anyway~

You already have a combobox,
>  PubCode is a text box and PubName is a combo box
Modify the existing combobox.

--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.
0
rquintal7643 (498)
3/31/2006 8:29:39 PM
Thank you.
I have solved it~~

Help~ Update a Text Box associated with a selected Combo box #2
Private Sub PubName_AfterUpdate() Dim sql As String sql = "select PubCode from Publisher where PubName = '" & PubName.Value & "';" Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(sql) MsgBox sql If Not rst.BOF Then rst.MoveFirst End If PubCode.Value = rst(0) <-- error End Sub PubCode is a text box and PubName is a combo box. I have a table like this: Publisher: PubCode, PubName and my form is like that... If I selected a PubName in PubName combo box, I want to change the PubCode correspondingly, since they are actually refering the same tuple. But When I use the above code... run time error 3331 occur sayign that To make change in this field, first save the record. I am getting dizzy~~ Can anyone help? Thx~ ...

Update Combo Box from a Text Box Help
I am trying to make a combo box dependent on a text box. I cannot get the combo box to pull the related data from the text box. I have been all over this user group & have tried several versions of code to no avail. I would like to display all contact names (in the combo box) related to the customer number in the text box. Here's what I have: Table: TOrdAck Fields: OACustID, OAContact Table: TCust Fields: CustID, CompanyID, CompanyName Note: The OACustID and the CustID establishes the relationship between the two tables. Query: QCust Fields: TOrdAck. OACustID, TOrdAck.OAContact, TCust.CustID, TCust.CompanyID Form name: FOACust Record Source: QCust Textbox Name: CustID Control Source: OACustID Control Box Name: Combo78 Row Source Type: Table/Query Row Source: <empty> In the After Update event in my textbox CustID, I have the following code: ******************* Private Sub CustID_AfterUpdate() Dim strSQL As String strSQL = "Select " & Me!CustID strSQL = strSQL & " from TOrdAck" Me!Combo78.RowSourceType = "Table/Query" Me!Combo78.RowSource = strSQL Me!Combo78.Requery End Sub ******************** I would like to have the combo box display any OAContacts that match the CustID. All I get is a blank combo box even if there are multiple contact names that match the CustID. I have also tried the following code, but get the same result: ******************** Private Sub CustID_AfterUpdate() Me...

update a text box using combo box
Hi all, I have 3 unbound combo boxes in my form which basically helps me to filter for values. I need to update a text box which will be stored with the value I receive after filtering with the combo boxes. I know of the column(n) method (derived from the third combo). However if the user does any sort of manipulation in the first or second combo then the value in the text box doesn't change accordingly. Is there any other way to update the text box in a more accurate way. Please help. TIA -- Regards, B Burghew wrote: > Hi all, > > I have 3 unbound combo boxes in my for...

help: combo box vs. text box
Please help! I have a table "tblDept" with columns like DeptName, DeptChair, DeptPhone. In a form, I created a combo list that holds all the DeptName. By selecting one of the DeptName from the combo list, I want the DeptChair and DeptPhone to be shown automatically in two text boxes. The following code is trying to show the DeptChair in a text box. Private Sub cboDeptName_AfterUpdate() Dim MySQL MySQL = "SELECT DeptChair " MySQL = MySQL & "FROM tblDept " MySQL = MySQL & "WHERE AttorneyName = " MySQL = MySQL & "'" &...

Populate text boxes with combo box selection
I need to populate text boxes for instance with employee information using their unique employee works number selected from a combo box. Can anyone help, I am told thru visual basic this can be achieved. godber wrote: > I need to populate text boxes for instance with employee information > using their unique employee works number selected from a combo box. > Can anyone help, I am told thru visual basic this can be achieved. You can do it without VBA. Add extra columns to the combo box Set the width of the columns to 0 if you want to hide them In the text bnoxes you want to show the...

Populating text box based on combo box selections
I have a form that contains two combo boxes that are related to each other. I need to find a way to populate my text box based on the criteria of the two combo boxes so the appropriate number appears in the text box. "SHAWTY721" <u38136@uwe> wrote > I have a form that contains two combo boxes that > are related to each other. I need to find a way to > populate my text box based on the criteria of the two > combo boxes so the appropriate number appears in > the text box. It's just not possible to be very helpful with the information you provided (Which was certainly concise, but certainly was not precise, you know -- what does "populate my text box based on the criteria of the two combo boxes so the appropriate number appears in the text boxes" mean? All it says is there is some kind of relationship between the controls and implies that the Text Box contents are numeric.). You will have to have some way to ensure that you do not set the text box until you have made a selection in both Combo Boxes (and that presumes that by "criteria", you simply mean the values selected in the Combos). One way is to lock the second Combo Box, and only unlock it in the After Update event of the first, then put your code to set the Text Box in the After Update event of the second Combo... and once you set it, lock them again, as in the beginning. But, as to setting the Text Box, we'd only be guessing. For good su...

Fill text box based on combo box selection
Okay this one has me stumped. I have a table called Review_Statements with the following columns: statementid type statement1 statement2 statement3 I have a form called SR_Review with an unbound combo box control (rationale_type) that is based on the statementid and type field of the table above. I also have another text box control on the same SR_Review form called rationale. This field is bound to field called "rationale" in another table called SR_Reviews. Here is what I *want* to take place. The user makes a selection in the rationale_type combo box, and based on the statementid of their choice: combine statement1, currentuser, statement2 and statement3 for that same statementid in the rationale text box (so it's stored in the rationale field of the SR_Review table). i.e., me.rationale=statement1 & currentuser & statement2 & statement3 where review_statements.statementid = me.rationale_type I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this in vb code. Can anyone help get me started? The reason I need to break up the paragraph or statement this way is that I need to track exactly who made the selection - I have to somehow get the currentuser into this paragraph and it's the only way I could think of. If you have any other wise ideas that I hadn't thought of I'd be happy to hear. Deena Duh - I figured this out so please ignore. ...

Adding Combo Box Text To A Text Box
I have a combo box and a text box on a form. When I choose a value from the combo box, I want it to be added to the textbox. I'm able to do this by using the following code when I click the combo box: Me!Textbox = Me!TextBox & Me!ComboBox I now need the additional combo box items to be added on a new line in the text box each time I click the combo box. I've tried using Sendkeys "^{Enter} but I'm not achieving the desired result. I know this is probably very simple, but I'm just not seeing it. Any help is appreciated. This will do it: Private Sub ComboBox_AfterUpdate() If IsNull(Me.Textbox) Then Me.Textbox = ComboBox Else Me.Textbox = Me.Textbox & vbNewLine & ComboBox End If End Sub Wayne wrote: >I have a combo box and a text box on a form. When I choose a value >from the combo box, I want it to be added to the textbox. I'm able to >do this by using the following code when I click the combo box: > >Me!Textbox = Me!TextBox & Me!ComboBox > >I now need the additional combo box items to be added on a new line in >the text box each time I click the combo box. I've tried using >Sendkeys "^{Enter} but I'm not achieving the desired result. > >I know this is probably very simple, but I'm just not seeing it. Any >help is appreciated. -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000 Message posted via AccessMonster.com http:/...

Update combo box when another combo box onchange event
Hi I'm just trying to use access for the first time. I have used mysql befor so I know i little about datebases. I have imported some tables into access and i have some querys too. Now I want to use one of the query to update a combobox whem I select an option in anoyher combobox. I can run the query but how do I get the result into the combobox? And how do I update it? If someone will answer Thanks in advance *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** On 24 Mar, 10:00, kalle <ka...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi > > I'm just trying to use access for the first time. I have used mysql > befor so I know i little about datebases. > > I have imported some tables into access and i have some querys too. Now > I want to use one of the query to update a combobox whem I select an > option in anoyher combobox. > > I can run the query but how do I get the result into the combobox? And > how do I update it? > > If someone will answer You need to use the AfterUpdate or the OnChange event of the first combo box, use whatever values you need to construct the SQL, and then set the DataSource of the second combo box. Edward kalle wrote: > > Hi > > I'm just trying to use access for the first time. I have used mysql > befor so I know i little about datebases. > > I have imported some tables into access and i have some querys too. Now > I want to use one of the query to update a combobox whem...

Fill combo/list box based on previous combo box selection?
I am fairly new to database design and am having some difficulty getting my combo boxes to work as I'd like them to. I would like to create a form with two combo boxes; the first one would select �JobNum' from my master job table and the second would select a �Supt' associated with the selected JobNum. My tables are setup like this: -tblEmp: Emp# (PRIMARY KEY), EmpName, etc. -tblSupt: SuptEmp#, Job# -tblInjury: InjuredEmp#, Job#, Supt#, etc. -tblJob: Job# (PRIMARY KEY), JobName, etc. How can I setup my two combo boxes so that: Combo Box 1 selects Job# from the list of Job#'s? I can get this far, but a can't seem to tackle the AfterUpdate event in order to successfully populate the 2nd combo box. And Combo Box 2 selects an associated Supt#, a list populated from the selection in Combo Box 1? Thanks in advance for any assistance. Nick Nick, If I understand you right, you want to select a Job# and have the second combo box update to show Supt#'s for the selected Job#. This is what I would do. This is done using a form. Since you have the Job# combo box working let's look at the Supt# combo. Create the Supt# combo like normal. Then go to the properties of the Supt# combo and go to the data tab. Then goto row source and click the build button. From here you can add the Job# field from your tblSupt to the design grid and set the criteria to the Job# combo box on your form. This will tell t...

Combo box dependent on another combo box, text part is blank
Hi, I have a form with several combo boxes, continuous form format, with record source a query off an Item Table. The fields are Category, Subcategory, and Color. I am displaying descriptions, not ID's, so I have to convert the ID's from various lookup tables. The combo boxes work fine except for subcategory, which is dependent on category. Depending on category, the drop-down box for subcategory will display different items. (for example, when Category is Furniture, Subcategory will display drop-down list of 'Dresser, Nightstand, Desk...". Without clicking on the drop...

Changing combo box list based on another combo box selection
I have a continuous form that has one combo box (cbo1) with the selectable values of "Removal" and "Installation". I would like to change another combo box (cbo2) value list based on the selection in cbo1. For example, when the user selects "Removal" from cbo1 I would like the value list of cbo2 to be one set of values and when "Installation" is selected in cbo1 I would like the value list of cbo2 to be a different set of values. Is this possible? Thanks in advance. Troy Lee troy_lee@comcast.net wrote: > I have a continuous form that has one combo box (cbo1) with the > selectable values of "Removal" and "Installation". I would like to > change another combo box (cbo2) value list based on the selection in > cbo1. > > For example, when the user selects "Removal" from cbo1 I would like > the value list of cbo2 to be one set of values and when "Installation" > is selected in cbo1 I would like the value list of cbo2 to be a > different set of values. > > Is this possible? > > Thanks in advance. > > Troy Lee Sometimes cbo2's rowsoure might be "Select fld from table where id = " & cbo1 In this case, in the AfterUpdate event of cbo1 you'd enter Me.cbo2.Requery You might have to change the rowsource in other cases If me.cbo1 = "Install" then Me.cbo2.rowsource = "Select fld from table1" Else Me.cbo2.row...

Combo box fills text box
Hello again, I have a form that fills a text box with data according to the selection in the combo box. Two questions please: 1) The combo box does not have a control source so when opening the form, the combo box is empty but the text box already contains the first record. What do I need to do to either have both the combo box and text box empty on open or have both contain the first record on open. (If it takes VBA code, please point me in the right direction as I have not worked with it since '99). 2) I'm getting a runtime error 3077 on one of the records. I checked it to see i...

Text box linked to combo box
Good day, I am new to Access and need a question answered please. I have a form based on a table (tblQualityEmployees), for some of the fields it looks up a value in another table (tblGroups). The tblQualityEmployees consists of the following: EmployeeID FirstName LastName Group1 Group2 Group3 Group4 Group5 The tblGroups consists of the following: GroupID Groups Description What i want to do is, in the form have text box that displays the Group description next to each group. I tried making the "Control Source" field Group1 combo. This brings in the relevant ID number which is...

Displaying text in a text box depending on selection made in list box on same form
Hi I have an unbound text box on a form from which the user can choose a product. When the user chooses a product, I want the text box on the same form to display the description of that product. right now I can get it to display the row number of the product that corresponds to what the user clicked but not the value of the Product Description which is what I want. The fields in the tables are both text. here is the code: Private Sub LstContactProducts_AfterUpdate() txtProductDescription.SetFocus txtProductDescription.Text = LstContactProducts.Column(2,txtProductDescription) End Sub Thanks in advance Colin Colin, why don't you create the combobox, with from a table or query with all the information you need and use cboComboboxname.column(0), cboComboboxname.colum(1) etc etc...to populate the fields you want? HTH Michael "Colin Ward" <cward002@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:2a660c80.0308010710.26b3257@posting.google.com... > Hi I have an unbound text box on a form from which the user can choose > a product. When the user chooses a product, I want the text box on the > same form to display the description of that product. right now I can > get it to display the row number of the product that corresponds to > what the user clicked but not the value of the Product Description > which is what I want. The fields in the tables are both text. > > here is the code: > > Private Sub LstContactProducts_AfterUpdate() > txtP...

combo box / text box php mysql
this is the the code, now here is the final result.... I get one combo box and one tex box come up, but they are empty... DAMN!!! Any ideas on what Im doing wrong please.. Thanks Again <?php require_once('..\library_database\Connections\onlinequote.php'); ?> <? function select_cases_price () { $qy = "SELECT SellingPrice, Description FROM cases"; $rs = mysql_query ($qy) or die (mysql_error ()); while (mysql_fetch_array ($rs)) { $select .= "<option value='{$r[0]}'>{$r[0]}</option>\n"; $prices[] = $r{1}; } return array ($select, $prices);...

Listbox based on text box and combo box.
On an unbound form, I have a combobox called 'cboproducttype' and a text box called 'txtamountappliedfor'. I have an Add button that I would like the user to be able to hit once a product and amount applied for has been entered. This should populate an unbound listbox to display their selections. A user can select one or more sets of product types and the amount applied for. They should also have the functionality to remove a 'set' if they made a mistake without the need to rebuild the whole listbox of selections. Then - I want to loop through the listbox of selections to see what is being requested. (I know how to do this part - just wanted to let you all know why I am doing this) My question - to populate the listbox - I was starting with just updating the recordsource and having the recordsource type set to 'value list'. However this seems to cause a few issues. For instance, I couldn't display the amount as applied for as currency. Am I going down the wrong road? Should I consider a querydef? Or should the way I was thinking work? Thanks, -Brian On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:40:16 -0700, BerkshireGuy <berkshireguy2005-commerical@yahoo.com> wrote: The listbox displays text. You can format a value as currency before adding to the listbox: MyListbox.RowSource = Format$(txtAmountAppliedFor, "Currency") 'etc. > >On an unbound form, I have a combobox called 'cboproducttype' and a >text box calle...

Unbound text box, text>255, MS Access/PostgreSQL
Hello. I have the following problem with MS Access/PostgreSQL combination: There is a form in Access that has an unbound text box, used for entering a commentary of a batch of records. There is a DAO Append Query that has a parameter that is passed from the text box using parameter of DAO QueryDef object. I adjusted B7 parameter (Text as LongVarchar) in connection string (ODBC driver) to 1, so that Access links PostgreSQL Text fields as Memo fields in Access. The intention was to be able to enter unlimited length commentary into the field. But, although I can enter unlimited text by using...

access combo box with after update
I've read many posts about this type of problem, and it seems that some of them have been answered but they haven't completely helped me. First, I want to select from a combo box (cboServer) the server name. Then I want a 2nd combo box (cboDB....for the database(s) on that server) to be limited to only the databases on the server i selected in cboServer. (This is quite similar to the State/City cbo example) I have a Database table with the DB name and Server Name fields (and DB type, DB version fields, etc). I have a Server table with a Server Name field (and IP, Mac, location fields, etc.). And for normalization purposes, I have many databases on one server, but not vice versa (each specific database resides only on 1 server, not many). in cboServer, my rowsource type is table/query and the rowsource is: SELECT DISTINCTROW [Server Name] FROM [Server Inventory List]; in cboServer, my afterupdate vb code is: cboDB.RowSource = "Select Database.[DB Name] From [Database] Where Database.[Server Name] = '" & Me.cboServer & "' Order by [DB Name];" I left cboDB's rowsource blank, and the source type is table/query. The interesting part of my problem is this: If I select server X from cboServer and go to cboDB to what should be a list of databases only on the server X...I get blank selection fields. What that means is this: I matched the number of "invisible" databases in cboDB and it is the EXACT number of database...

select of select box will select multiple in another box

COMBO BOX, FILTER TEXT BOX AND NEW RECORD
I made a database with two tables (tblsender, tblreceiver). I have two combo boxes on the form. I can autofil all text boxes based on the value entered in the combo box (for example, cbosender_name.column(2) etc). But when I want to add a new record, I can enter only to the combo box and cannot add anything to the text boxes because they are bounded to the cbosender_name. Can anyone please help me? Thanks. ...

Populating a text box based on results from a combo box
Hi, I have a form with 4 combo boxes. They are used for selecting SchoolName (lists 28 names), LocationName (lists 4 geographic locations), EquipmentName (lists 14 equipment types) and ObservationNumber (lists count number 1-3). All of the the combo boxes contain two columns. The first column is visible and displays the common name that the user can identify. The second column is the bound column and is hidden. This column (2) lists the identification code associated with each variable in the respective combo box. I also have a single text box name ExposureID. The exposure ID is supposed to be comprised of the 4 identification codes associated with SchoolName, LocationName, EquipmentName and ObservationNumber. i.e. (SchoolName ID)-(LocationName ID)-(EquipmentName ID)-(ObservationNumber ID) This will ideally form a 6 digit ExposureID code that I can use to reference each specific case. Is there a way to reference the users previous four selections from the comboboxes and concatenate them to form this ExposureID variable? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Chris Meaney controlsource for the textbox would be something like: =Me.cbo1.columns(1) & Me.cbo2.columns(1) & me.cbo3.columns(1)... the columns collection in a combobox is zero-based (so subtract one from the ordinal position...) Then you just need to populate the textbox in the Change event of the last combobox. ...

selecting list box entry using a combo box
I have a combo box that lists street numbers. I also have a list box that lists street numbers and addresses (separately). I want to click on one of the street numbers and have the first item in the list box with that street number selected. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Deborah Hi Deborah, Not going to ask you “why use a listbox?”. But here goes… Use this air code in you combo box afterupdate event. Assuming both control in the same form. Me.ListBoxName.RowSource = “SELECT StreetNumber, Addresses,…..FROM Table1 Where StreetNumber = “ & Me.ComboxName I’m assuming your StreetNumber Datatype is “Number” as in your table properties. If they are “Text”, use quotes like… StreetNumber = ‘” & Me. ComboName & “’” >dgardner@twcny.rr.com wrote: >I have a combo box that lists street numbers. I also have a list box >that lists street numbers and addresses (separately). I want to click >on one of the street numbers and have the first item in the list box >with that street number selected. > >Any suggestions will be appreciated. > >Deborah -- Please Rate the posting if helps you Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/databases-ms-access/200707/1 Thank you for your suggestion. It is obviously from your response that I was woefully inadequate in posing the question. Here is a second attempt. I hope I am clearer. I have a combo box listing towns. When I select a town, the next combo box ...

Web resources about - Help~ Update a Text Box associated with a selected Combo box - comp.databases.ms-access

News Guide: Cruz trounces Kasich in presidential fundraising
WASHINGTON (AP) — John Kasich, Ted Cruz and Donald Trump, the final three Republican candidates running for president, began this month with ...

Full Episode: WN 03/20/16: President Obama, First Family Arrive in Havana Cuba
Shootout in Indiana Leaves a Police Officer Dead; School Bus Crash Raises New Questions About Seatbelt Requirements

Full Episode: GMA 03/20/16: HS Students Survive Devastating Bus Crash in Indiana
Paris Terror Suspect Admits Pulling Out of Suicide Bombing; Spring Cleaning Offers Opportunity to Start Fresh

What does Justin Bieber mean by this intimate Instagram with Selena Gomez?
Justin Bieber's giving us the feels. The singer posted a throwback picture to Instagram Saturday of him kissing his ex-girlfriend Selena Gomez, ...

After Salah Abdeslam's arrest, six critical questions
CNN After Salah Abdeslam's arrest, six critical questions CNN (CNN) A wave of relief swept through Brussels and the Belgian security services ...

Nico Rosberg wins Australian F1 Grand Prix
Mercedes' Nico Rosberg has won an Australian Formula One Grand Prix marred by a terrifying crash involving Spaniard Fernando Alonso.

Reese Witherspoon Turns 40 With A Huge Birthday Weekend Celebration
Reese Witherspoon turns 40 on Tuesday, but she celebrated a few days early with an action-packed weekend celebration. The award-winning actress ...

You Can Now Follow Pope Francis On Instagram
There are many famous people on Instagram, and many of them use the platform for different purposes. Some use it just to document their daily ...

Lena Dunham Says She’s Received ‘More Hostility’ for Backing Clinton Over Sanders
Lena Dunham says that she has received “more hostility” for supporting and campaigning for Hillary Clinton than she has ever gotten from the ...

Senate Republican leader: No lame-duck hearing of court pick
WASHINGTON (AP) — No Supreme Court hearings, no votes, not during regular business or a postelection lame-duck session, the Senate’s majority ...