Hosting advice needed for changing Access backend databases to SQL Server Express

After a virus that was so new that it wasn't in the antivirus checklist hit=
 a company where I work recently, the company that maintains the server sug=
gested that Access backends not be used to store data to minimize attack ex=
posure.  The VP was delighted to see that I already had plans in place to m=
ove the backend data to SQL Server Express for greater stability and for gr=
eater security.  In looking at the SQL Server 2014 requirements in:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506(v=3Dsql.120).aspx

I saw included:

"Installing SQL Server on a Domain Controller
-----
For security reasons, we recommend that you do not install SQL Server 2014 =
on a domain controller. SQL Server Setup will not block installation on a c=
omputer that is a domain controller, but the following limitations apply:

*You cannot run SQL Server services on a domain controller under a local se=
rvice account.
*After SQL Server is installed on a computer, you cannot change the compute=
r from a domain member to a domain controller. You must uninstall SQL Serve=
r before you change the host computer to a domain controller.
*After SQL Server is installed on a computer, you cannot change the compute=
r from a domain controller to a domain member. You must uninstall SQL Serve=
r before you change the host computer to a domain member.
*SQL Server failover cluster instances are not supported where cluster node=
s are domain controllers.
*SQL Server Setup cannot create security groups or provision SQL Server ser=
vice accounts on a read-only domain controller. In this scenario, Setup wil=
l fail."

It seems ironic that a move to strengthen security could possibly create a =
new vulnerability.  In the past I've only worked with SQL Server from a web=
 host.  Should I have the company buy a separate server just to host the SQ=
L Server data?  If so, should it be prevented from being a backup domain co=
ntroller?  Other recommendations?

James A. Fortune
CDMAPoster@FortuneJames.com
0
CDMAPoster

On Monday, June 15, 2015 at 4:44:18 PM UTC-4, CDMAP...@fortunejames.com wro=
te:
> After a virus that was so new that it wasn't in the antivirus checklist h=
it a company where I work recently, the company that maintains the server s=
uggested that Access backends not be used to store data to minimize attack =
exposure.  The VP was delighted to see that I already had plans in place to=
 move the backend data to SQL Server Express for greater stability and for =
greater security.  In looking at the SQL Server 2014 requirements in:
>=20
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506(v=3Dsql.120).aspx
>=20
> I saw included:
>=20
> "Installing SQL Server on a Domain Controller
-------
> For security reasons, we recommend that you do not install SQL Server 201=
4 on a domain controller. SQL Server Setup will not block installation on a=
 computer that is a domain controller, but the following limitations apply:
>=20
> *You cannot run SQL Server services on a domain controller under a local =
service account.
> *After SQL Server is installed on a computer, you cannot change the compu=
ter from a domain member to a domain controller. You must uninstall SQL Ser=
ver before you change the host computer to a domain controller.
> *After SQL Server is installed on a computer, you cannot change the compu=
ter from a domain controller to a domain member. You must uninstall SQL Ser=
ver before you change the host computer to a domain member.
> *SQL Server failover cluster instances are not supported where cluster no=
des are domain controllers.
> *SQL Server Setup cannot create security groups or provision SQL Server s=
ervice accounts on a read-only domain controller. In this scenario, Setup w=
ill fail."
>=20
> It seems ironic that a move to strengthen security could possibly create =
a new vulnerability.  In the past I've only worked with SQL Server from a w=
eb host.  Should I have the company buy a separate server just to host the =
SQL Server data?  If so, should it be prevented from being a backup domain =
controller?  Other recommendations?
>=20
> James A. Fortune
> CDMAPoster@FortuneJames.com

Perhaps Sql Azure might be considered.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DF=
fkY_uTNeto
0
Patrick
6/16/2015 12:58:46 PM
On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 8:58:48 AM UTC-4, Patrick Finucane wrote:

> Perhaps Sql Azure might be considered.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfkY_uTNeto

I'll bring up that possibility, but the decision makers (BTW, throughout the aerospace tooling industry) are loathe to put any of their data in anyone else's hands.  SQL Azure would solve the problem though.

James A. Fortune
CDMAPoster@FortuneJames.com

0
CDMAPoster
6/16/2015 3:51:51 PM
On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 8:58:48 AM UTC-4, Patrick Finucane wrote:

> Perhaps Sql Azure might be considered.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfkY_uTNeto

A private cloud for SQL Azure might satisfy everyone.  That could also make it easier to make the data available to mobile devices.

James A. Fortune
CDMAPoster@FortuneJames.com
0
CDMAPoster
6/16/2015 9:35:17 PM
On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 5:35:20 PM UTC-4, CDMAP...@fortunejames.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 16, 2015 at 8:58:48 AM UTC-4, Patrick Finucane wrote:
>
> > Perhaps Sql Azure might be considered.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfkY_uTNeto
>
> A private cloud for SQL Azure might satisfy everyone.  That could also make it easier to make the data available to mobile devices.
>
> James A. Fortune
> CDMAPoster@FortuneJames.com

I'm currently studying http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Azure-Database-Step-Developer/dp/0735679428/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1434546296&sr=8-16&keywords=azure  Pretty impressive.
0
Patrick
6/17/2015 1:05:55 PM
wrote in message

>"Installing SQL Server on a Domain Controller
>For security reasons, we recommend that you do not install SQL Server 2014
>on a domain controller. SQL Server Setup will not block installation on a
>computer that is a domain controller, but the following >limitations apply:

Given that if the domain controller goes down, then no one at work would be
able to logon to the company network - I think for maintains etc., even
without limitations, it likely a VERY good idea to keep the server that
controls all activity and user rights in a corporate environment as a
separate server.

So for backup, maintains, and the server that holds company files etc. (and
including SQL server), such servers likely should not be the domain
controler and be a separate server from the domain controller (server).

Regards,

--
Albert D. Kallal   (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert
6/20/2015 12:33:03 AM
On Friday, June 19, 2015 at 8:33:09 PM UTC-4, Albert D. Kallal wrote:
> wrote in message=20
>=20
> >"Installing SQL Server on a Domain Controller
-------
> >For security reasons, we recommend that you do not install SQL Server 20=
14=20
> >on a domain controller. SQL Server Setup will not block installation on =
a=20
> >computer that is a domain controller, but the following >limitations app=
ly:
>=20
> Given that if the domain controller goes down, then no one at work would =
be=20
> able to logon to the company network - I think for maintains etc., even=
=20
> without limitations, it likely a VERY good idea to keep the server that=
=20
> controls all activity and user rights in a corporate environment as a=20
> separate server.
>=20
> So for backup, maintains, and the server that holds company files etc. (a=
nd=20
> including SQL server), such servers likely should not be the domain=20
> controler and be a separate server from the domain controller (server).
>=20
> Regards,
>=20
> --=20
> Albert D. Kallal   (Access MVP)
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> PleaseNoSpam_kallal@msn.com

Thanks, everyone for your recommendations.  I will get SQL Server Express r=
unning on a separate non-Domain Controller computer behind a firewall befor=
e private clouding the setup.  I'll use the Upsizing Wizard on the Access t=
ables and change the SQL in Access to be T-SQL friendly.  Later, I'll optim=
ize the T-SQL for SQL Server's capabilities.

James A. Fortune
CDMAPoster@FortuneJames.com
0
CDMAPoster
6/22/2015 3:00:09 PM
On Monday, June 22, 2015 at 11:00:13 AM UTC-4, cdmap...@fortunejames.com wr=
ote:

> Thanks, everyone for your recommendations.  I will get SQL Server Express=
 running on a separate non-Domain Controller computer behind a firewall bef=
ore private clouding the setup.  I'll use the Upsizing Wizard on the Access=
 tables and change the SQL in Access to be T-SQL friendly.  Later, I'll opt=
imize the T-SQL for SQL Server's capabilities.
>=20
> James A. Fortune
> CDMAPoster@FortuneJames.com

I was successful installing SQL Server Express 2012 and confirmed that it i=
s running.  I also created a few LOGIN's, a view, a stored procedure, and p=
ermissions for the view, along with mapping TestData to the users using SQL=
 Server Management Studio and also set up the services using the Configurat=
ion Tools.  The MSDN documentation was quite helpful in getting me as far a=
s I got.

In code behind a form on a client machine, the following ADODB code returns=
 the first record data to Access 2007:

Dim MyRS As ADODB.Recordset
Dim connBackend As ADODB.Connection
Dim strConn As String
Dim strSQL As String

Set connBackend =3D CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
strConn =3D "Driver=3D{SQL Server Native Client 11.0};server=3Dtcp:SQL_SERV=
ER,49384;database=3DTestData;Trusted_Connection=3Dyes"
connBackend.Open strConn
strSQL =3D "SELECT TestData FROM dbo.vw_TestData;"
Set MyRS =3D CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
MyRS.Open strSQL, connBackend, 1, 3, 1
MyRS.MoveFirst
MsgBox (MyRS("TestData"))
MyRS.Close
Set MyRS =3D Nothing
Set connBackend =3D Nothing

Note that the Reference that allowed me to use ABODB was "Microsoft ActiveX=
 Data Objects 6.1 Library."

If I create a DSN connected to SQLEXPRESS\TestData, the following SQL also =
returns the same data (all rows) to Access via a query:

SELECT * FROM [ODBC;DSN=3DTestData;Trusted_Connection=3Dyes].vw_TestData;

I would like to obtain the same results from a query using a DSN-less conne=
ction.  I tried:

SELECT * FROM [Driver=3D{SQL Server Native Client 11.0};server=3Dtcp:SQL_SE=
RVER,49384;database=3DTestData;Trusted_Connection=3Dyes].vw_TestData;

and it returned the error message: "Could not find installable ISAM."  The =
same thing happened with [ODBC;...] and [Driver=3D{SQL Server}...].

Any ideas?

James A. Fortune
CDMAPoster@FortuneJames.com
0
CDMAPoster
7/6/2015 10:09:53 PM
On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 6:09:58 PM UTC-4, cdmap...@fortunejames.com wrot=
e:
> [...]
eX Data Objects 6.1 Library."
>=20
> If I create a DSN connected to SQLEXPRESS\TestData, the following SQL als=
o returns the same data (all rows) to Access via a query:
>=20
> SELECT * FROM [ODBC;DSN=3DTestData;Trusted_Connection=3Dyes].vw_TestData;
>=20
> I would like to obtain the same results from a query using a DSN-less con=
nection.  I tried:
>=20
> SELECT * FROM [Driver=3D{SQL Server Native Client 11.0};server=3Dtcp:SQL_=
SERVER,49384;database=3DTestData;Trusted_Connection=3Dyes].vw_TestData;
>=20
> and it returned the error message: "Could not find installable ISAM."  Th=
e same thing happened with [ODBC;...] and [Driver=3D{SQL Server}...].

I'll postpone that problem for later and use DSN's for now.  I note that th=
e Upsizing Wizard doesn't work with SQL Server Express, apparently by desig=
n, but a normal import (through the Tasks option of the Import/Export Wizar=
d) pulls the Access tables in "as is."  I use DDL after that to get my ID f=
ields the way I want them and make the SS ID's like the Upsizing Wizard wou=
ld have.  I haven't tried to add a RowVersion field yet, but the DDL should=
 allow that.  I was able to create an Access form for testing and using the=
 SQL Server backend worked indistinguishably from an Access database backen=
d.  However, when the table in SQL Server is not linked I expect things lik=
e TableDefs will be slightly harder (I'll probably need to have VBA read th=
e schema).

James A. Fortune
CMDAPoster@FortuneJames.com

Every time that a row with a <rowversion> column is modified or inserted, t=
he incremented database <rowversion> value is inserted in the <rowversion> =
column.  This property makes a <rowversion> column a poor candidate for key=
s, especially primary keys. -- https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms1=
82776.aspx

0
CDMAPoster
7/10/2015 8:33:12 PM
On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 4:33:21 PM UTC-4, cdmap...@fortunejames.com wro=
te:
>However, when the table in SQL Server is not linked I expect things like >=
TableDefs will be slightly harder (I'll probably need to have VBA read the =
>schema).

Here's the way I obtained the schema:

'--------
Dim MyRS As ADODB.Recordset
Dim connBackend As ADODB.Connection
Dim strConn As String
Dim I As Integer

Set connBackend =3D CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
strConn =3D "Driver=3D{SQL Server Native Client 11.0};server=3Dtcp:SQL_SERV=
ER,49384;database=3DTestData;Trusted_Connection=3Dyes;TABLE=3Ddbo.tblJobs"
connBackend.Open strConn
strTemp =3D "SELECT ItemNumber FROM [" & strConn & "].tblJobs;"
Set MyRS =3D connBackend.OpenSchema(adSchemaColumns, Array("TestData", "dbo=
", "tblJobs"))
If MyRS.RecordCount > 0 Then
  MyRS.MoveFirst
  Do While Not MyRS.EOF
    MsgBox (MyRS("COLUMN_NAME") & " type =3D " & MyRS("SS_DATA_TYPE"))
    MyRS.MoveNext
  Loop
Else
  MsgBox "No Records"
End If
MyRS.Close
Set MyRS =3D Nothing
Set connBackend =3D Nothing
'--------

I'll roll that code into a function with arguments for the table and field =
names and that'll be my substitute for a TableDef on SQL Server data.  Sinc=
e I'll get a number for the type of each field I use, I can use SQL Server =
Management Studio to back out the type number for each field I use.  But fe=
el free to chime in if you know of a link to an exhaustive list for SQL Ser=
ver 2012 Express :-).  MSDN documentation was again helpful.  Finding a lis=
t of exhaustive type numbers was difficult because the search words, such a=
s "Number" or "Schema," seemed to take me further away from where I wanted =
to go because of other SQL Server features containing those names.

James A. Fortune
CDMAPoster@FortuneJames.com

0
CDMAPoster
7/13/2015 9:44:59 PM
On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 5:45:03 PM UTC-4, cdmap...@fortunejames.com wrote:

> I'll roll that code into a function with arguments for the table and field names and that'll be my substitute for a TableDef on SQL Server data.
>
> James A. Fortune
> CDMAPoster@FortuneJames.com

My Access function to get the type of a field in a SQL Server table looks something like:

'--------
Public Function GetSSFieldType(strTable As String, strField As String) As String
Dim MyRS As ADODB.Recordset
Dim connBackend As ADODB.Connection
Dim strConn As String
Dim intType As Integer
Dim strType As String
Const CONN = "Driver={SQL Server Native Client 11.0};server=tcp:SQL_SERVER,49384;database=TestData;Trusted_Connection=yes;TABLE=dbo."

intType = 0
Set connBackend = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
strConn = CONN & strTable
connBackend.Open strConn
Set MyRS = connBackend.OpenSchema(adSchemaColumns, Array("TestData", "dbo", strTable))
If MyRS.RecordCount > 0 Then
  MyRS.MoveFirst
  Do While Not MyRS.EOF
    If MyRS("COLUMN_NAME") = strField Then
      intType = MyRS("SS_DATA_TYPE")
      Exit Do
    End If
    MyRS.MoveNext
  Loop
Else
  'MsgBox "No Records"
End If
MyRS.Close
Set MyRS = Nothing
Set connBackend = Nothing
Select Case intType
Case 38: strType = "int"
Case 39: strType = "nvarchar"
Case 50: strType= "bit"
Case 56: strType= "int Identity PK"
Case 109: strType = "float"
Case 110: strType = "money"
Case 111: strType = "datetime"
Case Else
  strType = "Unknown"
End Select
GetSSFieldType = strType
End Function
'--------

James A. Fortune
CDMAPoster@FortuneJames.com
0
CDMAPoster
7/15/2015 5:02:26 PM
wrote in message

>I note that the Upsizing Wizard doesn't work with SQL Server Express,
>apparently by design,

It should work - I use Access 2010 with 2012 express - tables upsize without
issue.

I would not attempt any kind of up-sizing in which the after matter requires
all kinds of update and modifications to the resulting tables - far too much
work.

In most cases, I tell Access to NOT make any modifications to the back end
that I just up-sized.

And Access will add the timestamp (better term is rowversion) column for you
if you check such a box.

Regards,

--
Albert D. Kallal   (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
PleaseNoSpam_kallal@msn.com

0
Albert
7/18/2015 5:00:06 PM
On Saturday, July 18, 2015 at 1:00:10 PM UTC-4, Albert D. Kallal wrote:
> wrote in message=20
>=20
>=20
> >I note that the Upsizing Wizard doesn't work with SQL Server Express,=20
> >apparently by design,
>=20
> It should work - I use Access 2010 with 2012 express - tables upsize with=
out=20
> issue.
>=20
> I would not attempt any kind of up-sizing in which the after matter requi=
res=20
> all kinds of update and modifications to the resulting tables - far too m=
uch=20
> work.
>=20
> In most cases, I tell Access to NOT make any modifications to the back en=
d=20
> that I just up-sized.
>=20
> And Access will add the timestamp (better term is rowversion) column for =
you=20
> if you check such a box.
>=20
> Regards,
>=20
> --=20
> Albert D. Kallal   (Access MVP)
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> PleaseNoSpam_kallal@msn.com

Thanks for the suggestions Albert.  I finished the conversion of three data=
bases to use a SQL Server backend.  It took three weeks to convert 60 table=
s and 59 forms.  Almost every query is created in code so that the means to=
 access the SQL Server data will be hidden when I create run-time versions.=
  Unless told, the users will not be able to discern any difference between=
 the two backend technologies.  Even the wildcards remain the same on the s=
earch forms.  I did find another way to get the field types by using tempor=
ty tabledefs.  The biggest gotcha was an option in SQL Server called 'Preve=
nt saving changes that require table re-creation.'.  T emporarily uncheckin=
g that  allowed me to create a multi-key field in one of my tables and to c=
onvert Access AutoNumber fields to IDENTITY fields in place to preserve key=
 relationships (set seed to number of records in the table plus one).  I'm =
hoping that using SQL Server will allow me to use more bound forms (only 16=
 simultaneous users).  So after all that work, I'll be forcing a hacker to =
spend about $50 to get a pcode disassembler to get at the connection inform=
ation :-).  I suppose I'll have to turn to Visual Studio to get things more=
 secure.  But even with obfuscation, .NET compiled code is not totally secu=
re either.  I guess the selling point will be that each step taken to incre=
ase security makes the circle of people who can get at the data smaller and=
 smaller.

James A. Fortune
CDMAPoster@FortuneJames.com
0
CDMAPoster
7/30/2015 12:19:25 PM
wrote in message

>It took three weeks to convert 60 tables and 59 forms.

That sounds like a long time - why did you need to convert the forms?

>So after all that work, I'll be forcing a hacker to spend about $50 to get
>a pcode disassembler to get at the connection information :-).

Why? You don't need to store user Id + password in the linked tables - you
can execute a on-time logon at application startup and table re-linking is
NOT required.

This article explains how this works:

Power Tip: Improve the security of database connections

http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-access/archive/2011/04/08/power-tip-improve-the-security-of-database-connections.aspx

Note sure why it took so long.

If you using the upsizing tools, then moving up the data (all those tables)
should not take more than an afternoon.

While up to Access 2010 has an up-sizing tool, the one provided by SQL
server is preferred. This one:

Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant v5.3 for Access

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42656

The up-sizing wizard will keep all relationships intact, convert the
standard auto number PK to a correct PK on sql server etc.

At this point in time all of your forms etc. should work as before WITHOUT
required ANY changes. So that is your “first” day!

The only changes to code will be your VBA recordset code. This can be done
with a search + replace (search + replace in Access is global).

So you change the recordset open commands from this:

Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(strSQL)

To this:

Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenDynaset, dbSeeChanges)

The above as noted is aided by search + replace.

As this point, now all of your VBA, forms, and reports should work.

The above will not take 3 weeks in any kind of application, but a day or so
tops.

At this point, you now have a WORKING application. There will be “some”
parts that may not work, but specially that of code that adds records via
recordsets AND ALSO grabs the PK auto number ID. These parts are rare and
few.

For above a quick search of the add method in recordset code is required
since with JET/ACE back ends, the auto number is generated the instance the
record (or form) becomes dirty. When using SQL server, then such auto number
values are NOT generated until record save time.

So some forms that grab/use the PK value, or recordset code may have to be
changed to force a save before such numbers are grabbed, but these are few
cases.

All in all, 98% of the existing application will run and work without any
modifications required after up-sizing to sql server.

The additional work is then to find forms or reports that run slow, and
address these issues. However such performance issues can be addressed even
while the application is in use.

So VERY few changes are required to a typical application after an up-sizing
to sql server.

In fact the bulk of the work tends to be address performance issues as
opposed to code or the application requiring changes.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
PleaseNoSPAM_kallal@msn.com

0
Albert

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and data...

What does it take to change an Access 2010 backend database to MySql or SQL Server?
Hi, I am concerned about corruption and the size limit if I move my Access 2010 application to something like Amazon Web Services (instead of rewriting it in .NET, Alpha Five, Sharepoint). How much effort would it take to use another backend database. To be honest, I don't even know how to install something like MySQL on my PC (or maybe it must be on a web server). How do I link to a different back-end? My application is pretty huge, and reports are also important, FWIW. Just checking. Thanks! -paulw The big difference comes from how you optimise the behavior and...

I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how can i make client access database located on the server? "HeMan_Speaks" <Lunar20092010@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d71ce567-0434-48b8-b1d2-bb191706ab45@w8g2000prd.googlegroups.com... >I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how > can i make client access database located on the server? I think you're going to have to expand a little bit more in your question here, as is not 100% quite clear what you're trying to do. You might want to make a little bit of a d...

I have a very frustrating problem. I have a situation that works fine on some computers, but not on others. I have SQL Server Express 2005 and Access 2003 loaded on 4 computers. I have set up a "Linked Server" in SQL Server linked to my Access database. I am running queries on t-SQL against the Access tables through the linked server. On all of the computers, I can do select queries and they all work great but what I need to do is run Update, Insert, Delete queries as well. On a couple of the computers, it works fine, locally and across the LAN, and a VPN as far as that goes. B...

General advice needed regarding MS Access, MS SQL Server, MySQL/PostgreSQL
I am working on two versions of an application, one of which will be a windows forms application (which will need to be redistributable) and the other will be a web application. I have MS Visual Studio 2005 (along with the developer's edition of MS SQL Server), but not MS Access. I also have MySQL, PostgreSQL, Sun's application server, Tomcat and Apache web server. I am working on Windows XP Pro, and have installed the .NET 3 SDK and all relevant related products I could find (e.g. 2 extensions packages for Visual Studio). I have one MS Access database, to which my users should hav...

sql server
I use ms sql server, when Ik edit the properties of a sql user I can assign databases to the account with the list in the 3rd screenof the properties. When I add some checks in front of a couple of databases and I click OK sql server asks me to confirm the password. I don't know what password to use at that point, cause I used the password of the account itself and of the admins and it still tells me that the password is not correct. Anyone? ...

Problems with MOD-Function by accessing MS-Access Database via SQL in Delphi
Hello, the following problem: I use Delphi 6 to access a MS Access Database. In short, the Delphi Code looks like this: ADOConnection1.Open; ADOQuery1.Close; ADOQuery1.SQL.Text :=3D 'SELECT * FROM database1 WHERE value1=3D1 AND value2=3D ' + inttostr(array[3]); ADOQuery1.Open; Label5.Caption:=3DADOQuery1.Fiel=ADdByName('value4').AsString; Now I only want to select these rows, where the Integer value3 ends on 1=2E So I need the Modulo-Function. I found in the Internet these two functions: MOD(x,y) und x % ...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

Export relations from SQL Server Database to MS Access
Hi I have to make export of SQL Server Database to MS Access and I have done it with the tables but now I need to transfer(export) the relations, keys and indexes. Can any1 tell me how to read relations,keys and indexes from SQL Server and convert them to MS Access.(it seams that for creation of indexes in MS Access ADOX is the only way but ADOX cannot read all information about keys,indexes from SQL Server.) All I can see is that I have to use SQLDMO to enumarate all realtion/keys/indexes from SQL Server database and use ADOX to create this relations/keys/indexes in MS Access databas...

Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
Folks, I was asked the following question today and decided to turn to your collective wisdom: Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL server or an ORACLE database on a different host? What tools would one need in order to accomplish the above? Regards Paul Christidis * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * Hi Paul, take a look at SqlLink/3000 from GUI Innovations. http://...

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access #2
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

Web resources about - Hosting advice needed for changing Access backend databases to SQL Server Express - comp.databases.ms-access

A look ahead at the state of the database in 2016
... identity management, anti-phishing education, and so forth. Ultimately, hackers want access to the contents of an enterprise's database. Security ...

Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

18 million targeted voter records exposed by database error
A second database containing voter records has been exposed due to a configuration error. While the first held records that some dismissed inconsequential ...

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...