How can I stop people have access to my MS Access Tables and Queries via Import?

Hi
I have an MS Access based application almost ready for distribution to
the public and I find that even though I have compiled it into an MDE
file, tables and queries can still be be imported if accessed by
another MS Access database. How can I stop this please?

Regards
Carriolan
0
carriolan (20)

<carriolan@> wrote in message
> Hi
> I have an MS Access based application almost ready for distribution to
> the public and I find that even though I have compiled it into an MDE
> file, tables and queries can still be be imported if accessed by
> another MS Access database. How can I stop this please?

User-level security.  Not for the faint-hearted and not resistant to a
determined hacker with the right tools but good enough to keep out nosey
parkers.  Check out the MS FAQ on Access security (link on my web site) and
Google Access groups for Jeff Conrad who has some useful stuff too.

HTH - Keith.
www.keithwilby.com

0
here9 (1031)
12/6/2005 4:06:02 PM
Hi Keith
I am going through the MS FAQ as you suggested. Agreed it is not for
the faint hearted! I have one more quested. As my program is for
distratibution to the general public as shareware, is using this type
of security valid?
Regards
Carriolan

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 16:06:02 -0000, "Keith W" <here@there.com> wrote:

><carriolan@> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> I have an MS Access based application almost ready for distribution to
>> the public and I find that even though I have compiled it into an MDE
>> file, tables and queries can still be be imported if accessed by
>> another MS Access database. How can I stop this please?
>>

>User-level security.  Not for the faint-hearted and not resistant to a
>determined hacker with the right tools but good enough to keep out nosey
>parkers.  Check out the MS FAQ on Access security (link on my web site) and
>Google Access groups for Jeff Conrad who has some useful stuff too.
>
>HTH - Keith.
>www.keithwilby.com

0
carriolan (20)
12/6/2005 5:22:01 PM
<carriolan@> wrote in message
> Hi Keith
> I am going through the MS FAQ as you suggested. Agreed it is not for
> the faint hearted! I have one more quested. As my program is for
> distratibution to the general public as shareware, is using this type
> of security valid?
> Regards
> Carriolan

What do you mean by "valid"?  As I stated previously, it won't stop a
determined hacker with the right tools from breaking in, so you'd have to do
a risk assessment to determine the likelihood of it happening and whether or
not you care if it does.  One further layer of protection is to convert your
front end into an mde file, which is a fully compiled version of your mdb,
hence no code is visible.  A hacker would then have to reverse engineer your
functionality into code in order to "steal" it.

HTH - Keith.
www.keithwilby.com

0
here9 (1031)
12/7/2005 8:46:03 AM
Hi Keith
I am a newbie at this; especially with regards to Access security.
Could you clarify some points for me please.
1. Is it possible to associate a MDW file with a specific Access app
without affecting other MS Acees applications on the same pc?
2. Is it possible to setup an MDW file giving users full data
permissions with no password (Administrator roghts being passworded)?
I do not want users having to log in

What I am really trying to do is stop the 'man in the street, from
unhiding my tables and taking the data. I realise that it will never
be bullet proof.

Regards
Carriolan

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 08:46:03 -0000, "Keith W" <here@there.com> wrote:

><carriolan@> wrote in message
>> Hi Keith
>> I am going through the MS FAQ as you suggested. Agreed it is not for
>> the faint hearted! I have one more quested. As my program is for
>> distratibution to the general public as shareware, is using this type
>> of security valid?
>> Regards
>> Carriolan
>>
>What do you mean by "valid"?  As I stated previously, it won't stop a
>determined hacker with the right tools from breaking in, so you'd have to do
>a risk assessment to determine the likelihood of it happening and whether or
>not you care if it does.  One further layer of protection is to convert your
>front end into an mde file, which is a fully compiled version of your mdb,
>hence no code is visible.  A hacker would then have to reverse engineer your
>functionality into code in order to "steal" it.
>
>HTH - Keith.
>www.keithwilby.com

0
carriolan (20)
12/9/2005 9:39:04 PM
How much is the data in your tables worth? Workable "cracks" for Access can
be purchased for around US$150 -- if the price has not gone up or down in
the past year or so.

It is possible to associate a workgroup file, but it is also possible that
the user might "join" that file, so that it is used no matter what Access
database they try to open.

The way you require a password is to put a password on the Admin account.
Once that is done, every user requires a password. If I recall correctly,
you can distribute a copy of your application with the user rights assigned
to the Users group, and all users removed from Admins... so the security
applies, but they do not have to log in. (But, I'd recommend checking the
Security FAQ carefully and Googling this newsgroup archives on the subject.)

And, as far as stealing the application itself, few Access database
applications are so mysterious that an experienced Access developer can't
observe the application in operation and re-create it in substantially less
time than the original development required. After all, the "heavy lifting"
of how to apply Access to the business issue has already been done, and
can't be hidden.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

<carriolan@> wrote in message
> Hi Keith
> I am a newbie at this; especially with regards to Access security.
> Could you clarify some points for me please.
> 1. Is it possible to associate a MDW file with a specific Access app
> without affecting other MS Acees applications on the same pc?
> 2. Is it possible to setup an MDW file giving users full data
> permissions with no password (Administrator roghts being passworded)?
> I do not want users having to log in
>
> What I am really trying to do is stop the 'man in the street, from
> unhiding my tables and taking the data. I realise that it will never
> be bullet proof.
>
> Regards
> Carriolan
>

> On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 08:46:03 -0000, "Keith W" <here@there.com> wrote:
>
>><carriolan@> wrote in message
>>> Hi Keith
>>> I am going through the MS FAQ as you suggested. Agreed it is not for
>>> the faint hearted! I have one more quested. As my program is for
>>> distratibution to the general public as shareware, is using this type
>>> of security valid?
>>> Regards
>>> Carriolan
>>>
>>What do you mean by "valid"?  As I stated previously, it won't stop a
>>determined hacker with the right tools from breaking in, so you'd have to
>>do
>>a risk assessment to determine the likelihood of it happening and whether
>>or
>>not you care if it does.  One further layer of protection is to convert
>>your
>>front end into an mde file, which is a fully compiled version of your mdb,
>>hence no code is visible.  A hacker would then have to reverse engineer
>>your
>>functionality into code in order to "steal" it.
>>
>>HTH - Keith.
>>www.keithwilby.com

0
bouncer (4168)
12/10/2005 5:53:56 PM
Hi Larry
My objective is to prevent an average user from being able to gain
access to my tables. I use SageKey installer scripts to install all
the Access runtime files, but was suprised to find that a user with MS
Office could use Access to extract the data tables from my
application. I have discovered that whether I encrypt the database or
hide my tables any user with Access has Admin rights and can gain
access.

The things which I need to know in principle before studying the
subject in detail is:
1. Can a MDW file be applied to a specific MDB file without applying
to all the other MDB files on the target PC, [from other discussions
on this group it is far from being clear]?
2. Can I password only the Admin leaving the Users with Full data
rights without having to login?
3.If I do manage to do 1) and 2) above can a user delete the MDW file
to gain access to my database or will the database cease to function?
Regards
--
Carriolan

 caOn Sat, 10 Dec 2005 17:53:56 GMT, "Larry Linson"
<bouncer@localhost.not> wrote:

>How much is the data in your tables worth? Workable "cracks" for Access can
>be purchased for around US$150 -- if the price has not gone up or down in
>the past year or so.
>
>It is possible to associate a workgroup file, but it is also possible that
>the user might "join" that file, so that it is used no matter what Access
>database they try to open.
>
>The way you require a password is to put a password on the Admin account.
>Once that is done, every user requires a password. If I recall correctly,
>you can distribute a copy of your application with the user rights assigned
>to the Users group, and all users removed from Admins... so the security
>applies, but they do not have to log in. (But, I'd recommend checking the
>Security FAQ carefully and Googling this newsgroup archives on the subject.)
>
>And, as far as stealing the application itself, few Access database
>applications are so mysterious that an experienced Access developer can't
>observe the application in operation and re-create it in substantially less
>time than the original development required. After all, the "heavy lifting"
>of how to apply Access to the business issue has already been done, and
>can't be hidden.
>
>  Larry Linson
>  Microsoft Access MVP
>

><carriolan@> wrote in message
>> Hi Keith
>> I am a newbie at this; especially with regards to Access security.
>> Could you clarify some points for me please.
>> 1. Is it possible to associate a MDW file with a specific Access app
>> without affecting other MS Acees applications on the same pc?
>> 2. Is it possible to setup an MDW file giving users full data
>> permissions with no password (Administrator roghts being passworded)?
>> I do not want users having to log in
>>
>> What I am really trying to do is stop the 'man in the street, from
>> unhiding my tables and taking the data. I realise that it will never
>> be bullet proof.
>>
>> Regards
>> Carriolan
>>

>> On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 08:46:03 -0000, "Keith W" <here@there.com> wrote:
>>
>>><carriolan@> wrote in message
>>>>
>>>What do you mean by "valid"?  As I stated previously, it won't stop a
>>>determined hacker with the right tools from breaking in, so you'd have to
>>>do
>>>a risk assessment to determine the likelihood of it happening and whether
>>>or
>>>not you care if it does.  One further layer of protection is to convert
>>>your
>>>front end into an mde file, which is a fully compiled version of your mdb,
>>>hence no code is visible.  A hacker would then have to reverse engineer
>>>your
>>>functionality into code in order to "steal" it.
>>>
>>>HTH - Keith.
>>>www.keithwilby.com

0
carriolan (20)
12/11/2005 12:43:24 PM
carriolan@ wrote:
> Hi Larry
> My objective is to prevent an average user from being able to gain
> access to my tables. I use SageKey installer scripts to install all
> the Access runtime files, but was suprised to find that a user with MS
> Office could use Access to extract the data tables from my
> application. I have discovered that whether I encrypt the database or
> hide my tables any user with Access has Admin rights and can gain
> access.
>
> The things which I need to know in principle before studying the
> subject in detail is:
> 1. Can a MDW file be applied to a specific MDB file without applying
> to all the other MDB files on the target PC, [from other discussions
> on this group it is far from being clear]?

MDW files are not "applied" to MDB files.  The MDB has a list of security
profiles that it will allow various access levels for.  If you use an MDW file
that contains those profiles then you can get into the file.  If you use one
that doesn't then you can't.  So there is a sort of relationship between MDW and
MDB, but not a hard link as many people erroneously believe.

The selection of the MDW file actually occurs when Access is launched, before
any particular MDB file loading is even attempted.  Which MDW file is used by
Access is determined by either providing the desired file as a command line
argument or if one is not provided Access will use the default MDW file for the
user as determined by settings in the registry.  You are changing the default
MDW file when you "Join" a workgroup using the workgroup administrator utility.

So, to accomplish what you want you leave the user joined to the default
System.mdw file and have your application open with a shortcut that specifies a
different MDW file in the command line.  The target for the shortcut would look
like...

"path to MSAccess.exe" /wrkgrp "path to desired MDW" "path the MDB to be opened"

If the user then tried to open the file without using your shortcut the wrong
MDW file would be used and they would get an Access Denied error.

> 2. Can I password only the Admin leaving the Users with Full data
> rights without having to login?

No.  Having a password on the Admin user is exactly what triggers the login
prompt.  If you don't want them to login then you cannot have a password on the
Admin account.  You could supply a username and password as additional command
line arguments in your shortcut though.  This would log them in without being
prompted.

You can also grant the normal permissions that you want users to have to the
default group "Users".  This group would ordinarily be granted zero permissions
in a secured app.  However; if you grant to this group the level of permissions
that you want normal users to have then your users will be able to open the file
without logging in and will be able to do so with ANY workgroup file.  Your
secured MDW file would only be needed when you wanted to login with a different
account that had higher permission levels.

> 3.If I do manage to do 1) and 2) above can a user delete the MDW file
> to gain access to my database or will the database cease to function?
> Regards

The database would cease to function.

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message.     Send instead to...

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
12/11/2005 1:46:03 PM
Thanks I'll give this a try.
Regards
Carriolan
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 13:46:03 GMT, "Rick Brandt"
<rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>Admin account.  You could supply a username and password as additional command
>line arguments in your shortcut though.  This would log them in without being
>prompted.
>
>You can also grant the normal permissions that you want users to have to the
>default group "Users".  This group would ordinarily be granted zero permissions
>in a secured app.  However; if you grant to this group the level of permissions
>that you want normal users to have then your users will be able to open the file
>without logging in and will be able to do so with ANY workgroup file.  Your
>secured MDW file would only be needed when you wanted to login with a different
>account that had higher permission levels.
>
>> 3.If I do manage to do 1) and 2) above can a user delete the MDW file
>> to gain access to my database or will the database cease to function?

Accessing Oracle Tables from MS Access
How difficult is this? I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to work. I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP. What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work: select id from emp I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point. Any help in how to get this done, or pointing me in the right direction of a book or website, would be greatly appreciated! berj Yes, I do have the table links working. But I did want to run the select for such things as grabbing the next number off of a sequence. As in: select test.nextval fro...

RE: How can I access data from MS Access?
Peter, I sadly admit that I was wrong. "Doesn't seem to work" is effectivly even more useless than "doesn't work". I give up. Years ago we used to get our FORTRAN card decks back from the DP center with a piece of scrap paper saysing "She No Work". top that. On 5 Feb, 19:40, "Sells, Fred" <f...@adventistcare.org> wrote: > Years ago we used to get our FORTRAN card decks back from the DP center > with a piece of scrap paper saysing "She No Work". top that. I used to use a cross-compiler (targetting some obscure single-c...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

How to access MS-Access metadata tables (eg MSysObjects)
Dear all, I have an MS-Access MDB-file with hundreds of tables and want to know when they were created and/or modified. The MS-Access metadata table MSySObjects includes this information, but I have not managed to read it from SAS. (CLI describe error tells me that I have no reading access) --> Does anybody have a working code example for this? I have tried the libname ACCESS and Libname ODBC variants. Regards Dietrich -- DIETRICH ALTE, Dipl.-Statistiker, Dr. rer. med. Wiss. Projektmanager "Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP)" Institut f�r Community Medicine - SHIP/KEF EMA-Universit�t Greifswald - Medizinische Fakult�t Walther-Rathenau-Str. 48, D-17475 Greifswald, Germany URL ship.community-medicine.de Phone ++49(0)3834-867713, Fax ++49(0)3834-866684 ...

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name
i am not sure if SAS will support long file name if you use libname. a workaround is to use passthrough. On Jan 16, 2008 12:31 PM, JKamgang@Yahoo.com <JBKamgang@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear All, > > > > Happy New Year , > > > > Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS > Access > table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 > databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I > don't want to rename manually the table names. > > > > Please find the program below. > > > > Thanks in advance for your kind assistance, > > > > Jean Baptiste > > > > The program: > > - - - > > > > options VALIDVARNAME=ANY ; > > libname DBsource access 'S:\Data > Management\External\Projects\MTCT-Plus\MTCT-Plus November 2007 > Data\Programs\Data\MTCT-PlusData All.mdb'; > > /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ > > > > data* pedResultadd ; > > set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional'n (keep = > > testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2text > > ); > * > > run*; > > - - - The log - - > > 1636 > > 1637 /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ > > 1638 > > 1639 data pedResultadd ; > > 1640 set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional...

Re: How to access MS-Access metadata tables (eg MSysObjects)
The answer is given here: Problem Note 7495: No read permission on System Tables when using SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC with a Microsoft Access ODBC Driver http://support.sas.com/kb/7/495.html Regards Dietrich Dietrich Alte schrieb: > Dear all, > > I have an MS-Access MDB-file with hundreds of tables and want to know > when they were created and/or modified. > The MS-Access metadata table MSySObjects includes this information, > but I have not managed to read it from SAS. > (CLI describe error tells me that I have no reading access) > --> Does anybody have a working code example for this? > I have tried the libname ACCESS and Libname ODBC variants. > > Regards > > Dietrich > -- DIETRICH ALTE, Dipl.-Statistiker, Dr. rer. med. Wiss. Projektmanager "Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP)" Institut f�r Community Medicine - SHIP/KEF EMA-Universit�t Greifswald - Medizinische Fakult�t Walther-Rathenau-Str. 48, D-17475 Greifswald, Germany URL ship.community-medicine.de Phone ++49(0)3834-867713, Fax ++49(0)3834-866684 ...

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to > access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to > log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way > around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. > Thanks Mike > We have just started this database so any changes would be better done > sooner. It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each PC. You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example. Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access reverts to single-user only. -- regards, Br@dley Br@dley wrote:...

Accessing Access

How can I get data from Access Queries instead of Access Tables?
I can get data from Microsoft Access Tables in Labview using DSN, but can not get it from Access Queries? Does anybody know what the difference is? Thanks. ...

Web resources about - How can I stop people have access to my MS Access Tables and Queries via Import? - comp.databases.ms-access

Notes and Queries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
it is now published by Oxford University Press . The journal was originally subtitled "a medium of inter-communication for literary men, artists, ...

How Does Facebook Handle Graph Search Queries In A Timely Fashion?
How is Facebook able to quickly process the sort of queries about users and their friends generated by features such as Graph Search , despite ...

Facebook tests ad placements on Graph Search results page, not related to queries
Facebook began a small test today that inserts FBX and Marketplace ads between pages of Graph Search results, a spokesperson tells us. These ...

faroo_p2p: Six month after launch the FAROO Search API http://t.co/RQlyOBZC serves 24 million queries/month ...
faroo_p2p: Six month after launch the FAROO Search API http://t.co/RQlyOBZC serves 24 million queries/month. A tenfold increase in the last month. ...

App Store - IDdx: Infectious Disease Queries
Get IDdx: Infectious Disease Queries on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Michael Jackson queries - Google - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Search Engine Land's photos on Flickr. Search Engine Land has uploaded 1714 photos to Flickr.

'Safari UniBar' Brings Searches and Web Queries to One Unified Bar - YouTube
Retweet: http://clicktotweet.com/27wfR Name: Safari UniBar Description: Combined web queries and search from one bar, just like Google Chrome. ...

Spaced out: NASA denies world's end as queries skyrocket
LOS ANGELES: If there's one US government body really looking forward to December 22, it's NASA. The space agency said it had been flooded with ...

Virgin queries Qantas on Tasman
Virgin Australia has urged the competition regulator to stop Qantas and Emirates from forming an alliance on the trans-Tasman route unless there ...

Firefox 14 protects search queries from 'bad guys,' not advertisers
Firefox 14 protects search queries from 'bad guys,' not advertisers Australian Macworld However, search engine guru Danny Sullivan from Search ...