How to Automatically Resize Form Controls When Resizing a Form

Hello folks,

I am an experienced developer with other languages and applications, but a
neophyte when it comes to MS Access forms.  Can someone please help get me
with a solution for the following issue:  On a form, I have an object
(ImgEdit control from MS Imaging) that needs to automatically grow and
shrink when a user resizes the form.  The object *does not* need to grow and
shrink based on the size of the image that is being displayed.  Rather the
object needs to grow and shrink so that it occupies the maximum possible
screen real estate as the size of the form window is adjusted by the user.
Please note that there are also other controls on the form, all to the left
side of the ImgEdit object if it matters.

In some other languages that I have used, there are various ways of
"attaching" an edge of one object to the edge of another object, so that the
size of one object automatically adjusts based on the size of the other
object, and that is essentially the same functionality that I need here.  I
feel certain that there must be some reasonably easy way to do this, and
could swear that I have seen this capability utilized in MS Access forms
developed by others.  But I can't figure out how this is being done, and
can't seem to locate any relevant docs.  Can someone please help me see the
light?

Thanks,
s/KAM

0
KevinMyers (190)

I think Peter de Baets' Resizer might help you

http://www.peterssoftware.com

--
-Larry-
--

"Kevin Myers" <KevinMyers@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hello folks,
>
> I am an experienced developer with other languages and applications, but a
> neophyte when it comes to MS Access forms.  Can someone please help get me
> with a solution for the following issue:  On a form, I have an object
> (ImgEdit control from MS Imaging) that needs to automatically grow and
> shrink when a user resizes the form.  The object *does not* need to grow
and
> shrink based on the size of the image that is being displayed.  Rather the
> object needs to grow and shrink so that it occupies the maximum possible
> screen real estate as the size of the form window is adjusted by the user.
> Please note that there are also other controls on the form, all to the
left
> side of the ImgEdit object if it matters.
>
> In some other languages that I have used, there are various ways of
> "attaching" an edge of one object to the edge of another object, so that
the
> size of one object automatically adjusts based on the size of the other
> object, and that is essentially the same functionality that I need here.
> feel certain that there must be some reasonably easy way to do this, and
> could swear that I have seen this capability utilized in MS Access forms
> developed by others.  But I can't figure out how this is being done, and
> can't seem to locate any relevant docs.  Can someone please help me see
the
> light?
>
> Thanks,
> s/KAM

Resizing Form Objects when a form is resized
I know this has probably been asked a million times and I have searched Google on and off -- what I need however is a dumbed down tutorial or a demo project I can play with. I have coded a multi threaded IRC client that can hit multiple servers at the same time and do all kindsa snazzy stuff however it looks crappy when forms are resized -- Cheers James Starritt wrote: > I know this has probably been asked a million times and I have searched > Google on and off -- what I need however is a dumbed down tutorial or a demo > project I can play with. I have coded a multi threaded I...

Resize Form Controls and Subform Controls at the same time
In terms of resources, wondering if it makes a difference in adopting one of the three options below for resizing controls on a form and controls on a subform at the same time. option a.) Put the code all in the main form and refer to the controls on the subform in the main form's OnResize event. option b.) Put the code for the main form controls in the main form's OnResize event and put the code for the subform controls in the subform's OnResize event. option c.) Put all the code in a module and call it on the OnResize event of the main form. What this code is doing is positioning the controls based on the form or subform's width: Dim mainWid as Long, subWid as Long mainWid = Me.InsideWidth subWid = Me.Child.Form.InsideWidth Me.ControlName.Left = mainWid - 500 Me.Child.Form.ControlName.Left = subWid - 200 etc. Just wondering what advice people have to offer on this. lq ...

Resize forms utility and forms with pictures as background
Anyone use the AHRESIZE utility to resize a form dynamically who is also using background images? I have an app that creates electronic versions of manual forms. I digitize the manual form and load it (at run time) as the form background. then, on top of it I place the fields. Seems to work well. Now I am trying to allow use of the resize utility to allow the form to be automatically resized to fit the screen resolution of each individual user. Unfortunately, I initially built the form I used "zoom" as the picture sizing method. I think that does not work with the resizing utility - at least the resizing doesn't result in the fields being aligned with the positions on the form. when I tried to use "clip" I find my image is way too large once scaled. Suggestions? Bob Might be worth looking at a program called ShrinkerStretcher from Peters software Think Stretch might work with ADHresixe Phil "Bob Alston" <bobalston9@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:s3j1j.42$Hx3.15@newsfe06.lga... > Anyone use the AHRESIZE utility to resize a form dynamically who is also > using background images? > > I have an app that creates electronic versions of manual forms. I > digitize the manual form and load it (at run time) as the form background. > then, on top of it I place the fields. > > Seems to work well. > > Now I am trying to allow use of the resize utility to allow the form to be > automatica...

Control positioning on form resize
Hi I'm writing the code so that when one resizes or maximises the main application form at runtime, the various controls reposition and/or resize accordingly. This is working fine except for one thing: On the form I have a frame and inside the frame a vertical scrollbar located at the right-hand side. Resizing the form means that the frame width & height has to change, and therefore the scrollbar's left position and height also need to be changed. This works fine if one resizes the form by dragging the corner, however if you hit the maximise button the frame size adjusts c...

VB6 Form resize diable user from manually resizing it?
I have a VB6 project that on the form I have set the BorderStile to 2 - sizable and created a function to resize the form and its controls min or max. Although, I am trying to find a way to disable the user from dragging the bottom right hand corner from resizing. I only want min and max. Any ideas how I can do this in code. If so, can I get an example of this please? Thank you, JT Try setting the BorderStyle to 1- Fixed Single and then set the properties for MaxButton = True and MinButton = True. Window size is no longer adjustable by the user.... Tom ...

VB6 Form resize diable user from manually resizing it?
have a VB6 project that on the form I have set the BorderStile to 2 - sizable and created a function to resize the form and its controls min or max. Although, I am trying to find a way to disable the user from dragging the bottom right hand corner from resizing. I only want min and max. Any ideas how I can do this in code. If so, can I get an example of this please? Thank you, JT JT wrote: > have a VB6 project that on the form I have set the BorderStile to 2 - > sizable and created a function to resize the form and its controls min or > max. > > Although, I am trying to find a way to disable the user from dragging the > bottom right hand corner from resizing. I only want min and max. > > Any ideas how I can do this in code. If so, can I get an example of this > please? If you want to have the standard minimise and maximise buttons, you will need to subclass and handle the WM_GETMINMAXINFO message. -- Dean Earley (dean.earley@icode.co.uk) i-Catcher Development Team iCode Systems Dean Earley wrote: > JT wrote: >> have a VB6 project that on the form I have set the BorderStile to 2 - >> sizable and created a function to resize the form and its controls min or >> max. >> >> Although, I am trying to find a way to disable the user from dragging the >> bottom right hand corner from resizing. I only want min and max. >> >> Any ideas how I can do this in code. If so, can I get an example of...

Making MS Access Form as a standalone form like in VB
Well, its sames difficult for me; I love access so much and wish to make it perform extra task. I prepared an HTML form but can not connect it to my access table and so I think it is possible to make an access form a standalone form for user input. Can anyone assist. My mail add is dianafather@aim.com. *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Oscar, why don't you just code up a VB form for user input and connect it to an Access backend? To my knowledge, you can't force an Access form to exist outside of Access. Your users would have to open the Access file to enter data, no matter how you set up the Access form. On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:35:09 GMT, Oscar N. Goyee <dianafather@aim.com> wrote: It's poor newsgroup practice to ask for email responses. Unlike what Steve said, you can create a form that lives outside of the Access main window: make it a popup. There is also nifty code out there (google for it), that puts the Access main window behind that popup, and moves it with it when it moves. To the end user it appears you have a single-form application. -Tom. >Well, its sames difficult for me; I love access so much and wish to make >it perform extra task. I prepared an HTML form but can not connect it to >my access table and so I think it is possible to make an access form a >standalone form for user input. Can anyone assist. My mail add is >dianafather@aim.com. > > > >*** Sent via Developersdex http://ww...

Forms/Subforms in MS Access Database

Form resizing
I am using the Getz et al approach to form resizing, and have encountered a problem, which doesn't seem to have been mentioned here: If I "squeeze" the form that I want to resize, so that the edge of the form covers some of the objects in the form, the code seems to enter some sort of infinite loop (perhaps - I haven't waited long enough ;-), the cursor remains as hourglass, and the only solution is to break out of code. Is there some parameter that I should be setting in code in the OnOpen event, to prevent this behavior? Should I be setting the MinWidth, MaxWidth, MinHeight...

Forms and Form
Hi everyone ! 1) An example from help: "Each Form object has a Controls collection, which contains all controls on the form. You can refer to a control on a form either by implicitly or explicitly referring to the Controls collection. Your code will be faster if you refer to the Controls collection implicitly. The following examples show two of the ways you might refer to a control named NewData on the form called OrderForm: ' Implicit reference. Forms!OrderForm!NewData ' Explicit reference. Forms!OrderForm.Controls!NewData The next two examples show how you might refer to a ...

Controls Flash Out Of Place On Form Resize
Hi all. I'm designing a program that has to run on multiple resolutions and I'm having trouble with moving contols on the form. The way I have it now, the form is maximized on load, and the following code is run when the form is resized (incl. on load of course): Public Sub CenterControls(ByVal Form As Form) Dim intFrameLeft As Integer Dim Control As Control intFrameLeft = Form.fraPositionControl.Left If Form.InsideWidth < Form.fraPositionControl.Width Then Form.InsideWidth = Form.fraPositionControl.Width End If Form.fraPositionControl.Left = (Form.InsideWidth - Form.fraPositionControl.Width) / 2 For Each Control In Form.Controls If Control.Name <> "fraPositionControl" Then Control.Left = Form.fraPositionControl.Left + (Control.Left - intFrameLeft) End If Next Control Form.Visible = True End Sub This centers the controls without issue, but there is a brief flash where the controls can be seen in their original position and then reappear centered. I made a temporary fix of this by making controls invisible in design and making them visible again on load. This works beautifully, if kinda sloppy. The problem is when I return to a form having already left it, the flash returns. Any suggestions on what i could do / what I'm missing? Tia ...

Form size question with Access forms, remote desktop, and MS Surface Pro
Hi, I know this is a stretch to ask this question, but: We have an Access 2010 application hosted using Remote Desktop. When we access forms from the desktop they look like they should. And from an iPad. However, a client is using their Surface Pro the forms are so tiny that she can't use them when accessing our application "on the cloud". Otherwise, they look fine on a Surface Pro when running it off the cloud. Does anyone have an idea? I do not think there is anything that the people that are hosting our software can do. -paulw On Monday, 29 February 2016 17:30:11 UTC, PW wrote: > Hi, > > I know this is a stretch to ask this question, but: > > We have an Access 2010 application hosted using Remote Desktop. When > we access forms from the desktop they look like they should. And from > an iPad. However, a client is using their Surface Pro the forms are > so tiny that she can't use them when accessing our application "on the > cloud". Otherwise, they look fine on a Surface Pro when running it > off the cloud. > > Does anyone have an idea? I do not think there is anything that the > people that are hosting our software can do. > > -paulw It will cost you, but have a look at a program called "ShrinkerStrether from Peter's Software (http://www.peterssoftware.com/ss.htm) This should shrink or stretch forms and all their controls to match the scr...

form access to form excel
Hello, How may I pass in VBA a value from a control in a access 2003 form to a control in a excel 2003 form ? I try this but it does'nt run: (oApp=word.application) oApp.Forms("saisie").tbnom.Value = Form_Form1.tbnom.Value & " " & Form_Form1.tbprenom.Value Thanks. ...

Open Form in Ms-Access from a hyperlink by using dhtml control
Hey ! I'm having a little ms-access application problem. in form A I have a dhtml control which I'm trying to assign it's documentHtml property a html string. I want that the html string will contain a hyperlink which open another form in access. Can I do that ? David ...

Form layout question: How move controls in a Form to (in) a Tab Control?
Hi, I created a form with a lot of controls on it. (textboxes, pulldown's etc.) Because the form is a little full I want to move the controls to different pages on a tab control. HOW can one do this?. If I drag them the tab control is not 'activated' if the mouse pointer is above the tab control. (if one creates a new textbox and place it on the tab control this tab control page turns black to show it's activated) This does not work while dragging??! Thanks in advance, Eddie Smit Holland. (The Netherlands) >Because the form is a little full I want to move the >control...

Need Help Extracting Form Names From A Form (its a damn big form and I was hoping to do it automatically)
I have a form that will output to a flat file when the submit button is pushed. As you can probably guess every form object must have a name because the Perl script has to know how to append the form object info to the flat file. My problem is that the form I've created is HUGE. Manually copying and pasting these form names is going to take me a very very long time. Is there a web page or application out there that can automatically extract the form names from a form in a html document? There's got to be a program out there that can do this! Thanks for your help. ...

MS Access 2002
MS Access 2002 - query form control returns funny symbols like [][] I am running an append query on a form. Access is having trouble with the calculated fields and comboboxes. Example &#8211; referring to forms!FormName!ControlName within the query should return the value of that control, correct? I am receiving symbols such as boxes [] or [][] as well as Chinese symbols. Any thoughts as to why this is happening. thanks This happens if Access does not understand the data type of the calculated controls. Typecast the calculated fields, and set the Format of unbound controls. For more detail, see: Calculated fields misinterpreted at: http://members.iinet.net.au/~allenbrowne/ser-45.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia. Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Dman" <Derekst@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:b5358ccf.0411011951.51ec395e@posting.google.com... > MS Access 2002 - query form control returns funny symbols like [][] > > I am running an append query on a form. Access is having trouble with > the calculated fields and comboboxes. Example &#8211; referring to > forms!FormName!ControlName within the query should return the value of > that control, correct? > > I am receiving symbols such as boxes [] or [][] as well as Chinese > symbols. Any thoughts as to why this is happening. thanks ...

MS Access 2000 VBA Code Shows Totally Incorrect Date from Controls on a Form
Hi, Sorry for my English. English is not my native tougue. I am working in MS Access 2000 with a SQLServer 2000 Backend database. MS Access 2000 is my GUI front end that has SQLServer linked tables in it. One of my forms has two TEXT BOX controls formated as Short Date. The form is binded to a linked table. The linked tables has about 7 records and one of the control is binded to a table field. These two controls displays the date correctly as 01/07/2006 and 31/07/2006 (I am running Windows XP, my regional setting is set to English Australia, location is set to Australia, language for non-Unicode programs is set to English Australia, and my date format is set to d/MM/YYYY) when the form is running. I have some VBA code behind the form to print out these two dates to a text file. The dates show up as 30/12/2005 and 30/01/2006. I really do not know why these dates are totally different. Here's my VBA code: Open "C:\Results.txt" For Output Access Write Lock Write As #1 Print #1, "GL run from "; Me.txtFromDate; " to "; Me.txtToDate Print #1, "" :: :: Close #1 I am hoping some one has come across with this problem. Thanks in advance, Easystart oh, so you mean you're just outputting everything to a text file? My guess is that since MS stores all it's data in US format, your have to force it into Australian format when you write it to the file. What happens if you use Format() and force it into the format you want? T...

Hiding Access Main Form/tables/queries/forms/etc
Thank you in advance for any and all assistance. Is there a way to hide the Main Access window with tables, queries, forms etc programmatically? Michael On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 17:17:16 -0600, "PMBragg" <pmbragg@megavision.com> wrote: >Thank you in advance for any and all assistance. > >Is there a way to hide the Main Access window with tables, queries, forms >etc programmatically? > Yes. Take a look here for some API code that will manipulate the Access window. http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0019.htm - Jim Another way, with probably less control than the...

Access Form --> Hyperlink to Excel --> Return to Original Access Form ?
I have an Access 2000 form that has a Hyperlink that opens an Excel 2000 worksheet located in the same network folder as the Access MDB. The Hyperlink works great. When users close the Excel File, they must choose the correct open Access form on the Windows Desktop Taskbar to return to the Access form that had the Hyperlink. Is there a way to: 1. Open the Access Form 2. Launch the Hyperlink to the Excel Workbook 3. Exit Excel, then 4. Return to the original Access form automatically - without clicking anything (such as the the TaskBar) I just need help with #4. Or, is there a better way to do this? Thanks John John wrote: > I have an Access 2000 form that has a Hyperlink that opens an Excel > 2000 worksheet located in the same network folder as the Access MDB. > > The Hyperlink works great. > > When users close the Excel File, they must choose the correct open > Access form on the Windows Desktop Taskbar to return to the Access form > that had the Hyperlink. > > Is there a way to: > > 1. Open the Access Form > 2. Launch the Hyperlink to the Excel Workbook > 3. Exit Excel, then > 4. Return to the original Access form automatically - without clicking > anything (such as the the TaskBar) > > I just need help with #4. > > Or, is there a better way to do this? > > Thanks > John > See if the code at http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm works better. Thanks for the response. I wi...

How to call a function located in a form module (form open in form view) from an Access Basic global module?
I would like to call a function stored in a form module in Access 2.0 from an Access 2.0 procedure in a global module. Function EmailTheOutletters () in module AppSpecific... .... 560 SSNtext = SelectRandomSSNtext(SSN) .... End Function SelectRandomSSNtext() is the procedure in the form module. I would use the syntax shown in line #560 if I were calling the function from within another procedure inside the form module. Do I have to reference it any differently if calling it from outside the form module? I don't think this is possible with Access 2.0 Solution: Put your function in a global module, and you can access it = from everywhere. --=20 Hope this helps Arno R "MLH" <CRCI@NorthState.net> schreef in bericht = news:53ch519mm1rhbojc8e8sav99t24v5roufm@4ax.com... >I would like to call a function stored in a form module > in Access 2.0 from an Access 2.0 procedure in a global > module. >=20 > Function EmailTheOutletters () in module AppSpecific... > ... > 560 SSNtext =3D SelectRandomSSNtext(SSN) > ... > End Function >=20 > SelectRandomSSNtext() is the procedure in the form module. > I would use the syntax shown in line #560 if I were calling the > function from within another procedure inside the form module. > Do I have to reference it any differently if calling it from outside > the form module? <snip> >I don't think this is possible with Access 2.0 >Solution: Put your function in a glo...

A fairly dense form needs real estate. Don't have it. Want to resize ONE control only
Me!AddnlOwnrList.Width = 5.1875 Me.Repaint Have tried the above in the on got focus event code to make the listbox control wider when its being used. I tried it in the Enter and Exit event code too. My control more or less disappears when the Width property is set when tabbing into the control and does not come back when tabbing off the control. I've never before experienced this behavior when resizing controls. Would like to know if anyone has experienced similar behavior. MLH wrote: > Me!AddnlOwnrList.Width = 5.1875 Width and indeed, all measurements are measured by twips. FROM THE ACCESS 97 **** HELP *** FILE: Put your cursor on the "width" part of your above code and simply press F1 and you'll get a section on: Height, Width Properties Look about halfway down the page, under "Setting" and you'll find: "In Visual Basic, use a numeric expression to set the value of each property. Values are expressed in twips." Since you probably won't look at help anyway or claim you don't have it or can't get the above, "twips" is linked to something curious which tells you that what you're missing above is (assuming you're using inches): Me!AddnlOwnrList.Width = 5.1875 * 1440 -- Tim http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/ ^o< /#) "Burp-beep, burp-beep, burp-beep?" - Quaker Jake /^^ "Whatcha doin?" - Ditto "TIM-MAY!!" - Me On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:50:58 -0500, MLH wro...

How to connect MS Access form to MS SQL Server
Hello all I created an application which use MS Access 2000 as user interface and MS SQL Server 2000 as backend. If I want to get data from MS SQL Sever 2000 and display them on the MS Access 2000 form, where do I set the database connection to the form (i.e. tell the form to get data from MS SQL server database)? Thanks Bon In Windows control panel, admin tools, data sources (ODBC), create a system DSN of type SQL server and fill in the parameters for your SQL database. In Access, select file / get external data, files of type ODBC. Select machine data source, select the DSN you created and the table(s) you need. ...

Form Resize After Shutdown?
I have written a small app that worked fine but I got an exception on shutting it down. Having debugged ny way through it I discovered it sends a resize message after 'FormCloseQuery' - and by that stage I have destroyed a component which it then attempts to resize. Is this normal behaviour? For now I have set up a 'blnClosing' variable which I set in 'FormCloseQuery' and which I check in the resize event. It's not a problem now I am aware of it but it seemed odd to me. -- Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK "Jeff Gaines" <jeff@jgaines.co.uk> wrote in message news:5kv1ivs0jqk9j2nkpmtok80e45vj5aalik@4ax.com... > > I have written a small app that worked fine but I got an exception on > shutting it down. > > Having debugged ny way through it I discovered it sends a resize > message after 'FormCloseQuery' - and by that stage I have destroyed a > component which it then attempts to resize. > > Is this normal behaviour? > CloseQuery is for use with MDI. If you do not have MDI children, there would seem no need to test CloseQuery. You seem to have overwritten the method. But why? You have destroyed a component. And apparently the form believes it is still there (otherwise you wouldn't get the error). Either, also remove the component from the form's component list or leave the destruction to the component's owner. Tom Jeff Gaines wrote:...

Web resources about - How to Automatically Resize Form Controls When Resizing a Form - comp.databases.ms-access

Facebook Users Automatically Checked In To Events They RSVPed Yes To
A reader tipped us off that Facebook is automatically checking in users at events that they RSVPed they would attend. continued… New Career ...

Now Users Can Remove Contacts Automatically Saved by Facebook’s Friend Finder
Two weeks ago, many Facebook users began asking questions about curiously good recommendations suddenly appearing in Facebook’s “People You May ...

App Store - Attachments.me- Gmail inbox software to efficiently manage emails, automatically send/upload ...
Get Attachments.me- Gmail inbox software to efficiently manage emails, automatically send/upload files to cloud storage(Dropbox, Box, and G Drive), ...

Automatically organize your desktop icons into shaded areas called Fences! - YouTube
Fences® is the most popular desktop organization tool used by millions of users worldwide. Create shaded areas called "fences" to automatically ...

Lesbian mothers to be automatically recognised on birth certificates in SA - AdelaideNow Search Search ...
BOTH lesbian mothers will be recognised on their child’s birth certificate — not just the woman who gives birth — under changes approved by Parliament’s ...

Optus switches on customers' global roaming automatically
Optus has begun automatically switching on global roaming for many of its mobile customers, the latest move in an increasing trend that has consumer ...

Emailing porn at work not automatically sackable, court finds
Australia's federal court has upheld a ruling that emailing pornography in the workplace is not automatically a sackable offence.

Shazam iPhone app now listens for music, TV shows automatically
Shazam has updated its iPhone app to tag songs, TV shows and more on its own, no longer requiring users to open the app and tap a button.

App of the day: Human for iPhone automatically tracks your movements
Human for the iPhone is an activity tracker that automatically distinguishes between different types of movement.