How to connect MS Access form to MS SQL Server

Hello all

I created an application which use MS Access 2000 as user interface and
MS SQL Server 2000 as backend. If I want to get data from MS SQL Sever
2000 and display them on the MS Access 2000 form, where do I set the
database connection to the form (i.e. tell the form to get data from MS
SQL server database)?

Thanks

Bon

In Windows control panel, admin tools, data sources (ODBC), create a
system DSN of type SQL server and fill in the parameters for your SQL
database.  In Access, select file / get external data, files of type
ODBC.  Select machine data source, select the DSN you created and the
table(s) you need.

0
delahayerc (109)

what is equivalent of format(date) function of MS Access in MS Sql Server 2000
Hi All, I am facing a problem with a sql what i used in MS Access but its not returning the same result in MS Sql Server 2000. Here i am giving the sql: SELECT TOP 3 format( MY_DATE, "dddd mm, yyyy" ) FROM MY_TAB WHERE MY_ID=1 The above sql in ACCESS return me the date in below format in one column: Friday 09, 2003 But in Sql server 2000 i am not getting the same format eventhough i am using convert function, date part function etc. Please if you find the solution would be helpful for me.. Thanks Hoque Hi If you field is a datetime, you can use the CONVERT function to conver...

MS SQL Server 2000 and MS JDBC SQL Server driver problems. (Connection timed out, followed by Error establishing socket)
I have downloaded the MS SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation edition, and the MS SQL 2000 Server JDBC driver. I have installed and configured the MS SQL Server 2000 onto two computers, which reside on the same network. (In fact, these two computers comprise the entire network). The network server (computer name=SUNCDS1), and the lone node (SUNCDS2), each have their own SQL Server 2000 instance. The SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager console on SUNCDS1 shows both SQL Server instances, the (local) instance, which is SUNCDS1, and also SUNCDS2. It may be worthwhile to mention that the SUNCDS2 instance on the Enterprise console does not show the SQL Server Agent as being started, but I can navigate to the SUNCDS2 databases, and display the table information. If I try to start the SQL Server Agent for SUNCDS2, I receive the message "Access is Denied". The enterprise console on the SUNCDS2 machine indeed shows the SQL Server Agent as being started. I have written a sample Java application that uses both the MS SQL Server ODBC driver and a JDBC type 4 driver (MS SQL Server 2000 JDBC) to establish a connection to the SUNCDS2 instance. This application resides on the SUNCDS1 network server. The ODBC driver will connect to SUNCDS2 instance wihout a problem. The JDBC driver does not connect to SUNCDS2. The JDBC driver will, however, connect to the local SQL Server instance that resides on SUNCDS1. Following are the code snippet to est...

Moving data from MS SQL Server 2000 or MS Access XP to UniData 5.2.9
Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. --Ryan N. Ryan N. wrote: > Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte > level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch > initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 > or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. > > Any leads would be greatly appreciated. > > --Ryan N. Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then the scripting to move it on. www.asent.com Better yet, most likely you need a consultant. Check out Tony Gravagno. He's good at building interfaces, and has most of the tools pre-built. He is at http:(no spam)//nebula-rnd.com/ get rid of the (no spam) HTH, Patrick <;=) "(Latimerp)" <"(Latimerp)"@comcast.net> wrote: >Ryan N. wrote: >> Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte >> level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch >> initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 >> or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. >> >> Any leads would be greatly appreciated. >> >> --Ryan N. > >Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then t...

JDBC+Linux -> MS Access/MS SQL??
I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database, however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and Linux. I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,.... However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to configure. Do anyone can give me a solution? Thanks Vincent You can try the jTDS driver (http://sourceforge.net/projects/jtds), performs really good. Or you can buy some other jdbc driver for MS SQL Server. /Klas "Vincent Ho" <vincenthkh@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:fb01e579.0308061746.3bf10a6b@posting.google.com... > I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database, > however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and > Linux. > I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,.... > However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to > configure. > Do anyone can give me a solution? > > Thanks > Vincent Vincent Ho wrote: > I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database, > however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and > Linux. > I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,.... > However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to > configure. > Do anyone can give me a solution? > > Thanks > Vincent Accessing SQL server from ...

MS SQL to MS Access Stored Proc. for Deletes
I have this stored procedure below that works great in SQL Server. The sql purges rows out of a table, leaving "x" # of rows in the table ("x" = s.RetainHistoryNum below). Now I need it to run in MS Access. The thing that throws me off is the multiple "from" statements. I have tried a dozen different queries, nothing seems to do the trick. Either I end up with an syntax error, or I end up with inaccurate results. Dan -------------------------------------------------- -Here is the stored proc I need to work in Access ------------------------------------------...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

left() and right() function in MS SQL vs MS ACCESS
I normally use MS ACCESS vs MS SQL,, which has a left() and right() function. I need to use MS SQL for this project but I am not familiar with it. I have read a few books, but can not figure out how to do this. Please help. If I need to compare the first 4 letters of a field, with the first four letters of another field, how can I do this? Select field1, field2 FROM table1 Where left(field1,4)=left(field2,4) (MS SQL does not have left() and right() functions) Please help. In addition, I have a CSV file with data like 10.20, which I import inrto a numberic field. Unforunately the value...

HOW TO MAKE CONNECTION ON SQL SERVER USING MS ACCESS AS A PLATFORM
HELLO GUYS, anyone could help me on how to connect my MS access program to sql server for storage of data. i'll be using sql database instead of built in MS Access database. i have separate workstation for sql server and separate workstation for access program. please teach me the step by step procedure on how to do that. your help is very much appreciated. thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/databases-ms-access/200801/1 ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anythi...

copying data from MS-SQL to MS-Access using VB.Net
Hi there, I'm trying to use MSAccess as a "container" to move data around from one MS-SQL server DB to another. This is basically already a design decision that has been made for a lot of reasons and can't be changed by me. What I was wondering is what is the bet way to populate the MS-Access DB. The DB will only contain 6 tables which will have a very small amount of data in them. I have tried to use ADO.Net to read the data from MS-SQL into a DataTable and then save it into the MS-Access DB using again using a DataTable populated from the first, but I can't seem to ge...

to connect the MS Access database
how can i call the report that i need in MS Acces database, from matlab??? ...

Permissions Issue when linking to MS SQL 2000 DB from MS Access XP
Hello, We have a database in MS SQL 2000 and I'm trying to link to it from MS Access XP. I've created a user with full access to one specific table in the MS SQL database, but Access won't write to it. I can open this table in MS Query Analyzer and log-in as the user, and I can do update, delete, and select queries just fine... but when I link to the table from MS Access using the same MS SQL username/password, I can only read the data... no write or delete. Since I can update data fine in MS Query Analyzer, I assume permissions are setup properly. Anyone know why I can not ed...

Web resources about - How to connect MS Access form to MS SQL Server - comp.databases.ms-access

First Capital Connect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
( FCC ) is a British train operating company , owned by FirstGroup , operating the Thameslink Great Northern franchise . FCC operates passenger ...

Connect
mobile photography technology, culture and community www.dpreview.com News Reviews Features Phones Tablets Cameras Apps Forums Mobile photography ...

CloudCraze Connects Consumers To Facebook Brands Via Cloud Technology
Brands on Facebook are always looking for new, efficient ways to connect with customers . CloudCraze, which recently released its 3.0 e-commerce ...

Hillary Clinton's appearance on 'Broad City' is her latest attempt to connect with millennials
Surprise! Beyoncé Just Dropped a New Single — Complete With a Music Video The Totally Endearing Reason David Beckham Won't Stop Getting Tattoos ...

Apple rolls out redesigned Payments and Financial Reports view in iTunes Connect to developers
... is rolling out a small but useful improvement to developers today. It has overhauled the Payments and Financial Reports section of iTunes Connect ...

ClipCall Connects Users With Service Professionals Through Video
ClipCall has announced the official public launch of its app on iOS and Android. The video home repair app allows users to record videos of their ...

The State of Apple Music Connect
Dave Wiskus: If Connect is a social network, it fails miserably. There’s nothing inherently social about the experience, which feels more like ...

Inside the game-changing data center that connects Seattle to Asia
Puget Sound area companies Wave Broadband and Centeris could strengthen the region’s ties to the some of the world’s largest economies through ...

Hillary Clinton’s appearance on 'Broad City' is her latest attempt to connect with millennials
Hillary Clinton made a guest appearance on this week's episode of Comedy Central's “Broad City”, a show centered around two best friends, Ilana ...

“Solar Spring Break” Connects Students With Clean Power In Underserved Communities
... the task of installing rooftop solar for low-income families, and learning as they work. The program runs through March 25. Students will connect ...