how to import text field from MySQL db to MS Access 2003 using ImportXML

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to import data out of MySQL db to MS Access 2003 using
ImportXML.  I don't have any problems doing the import, except for one
table with a "text" field defined.  I'm getting an error message saying
"The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to
add.  Try inserting or pasting less data.".

Thanks,

0
nepifanio (2)

 Do you have to use ImportXML?  Why can't you use the ODBC driver to MySQL?

Linda
<nepifanio@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm trying to import data out of MySQL db to MS Access 2003 using
> ImportXML.  I don't have any problems doing the import, except for one
> table with a "text" field defined.  I'm getting an error message saying
> "The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to
> add.  Try inserting or pasting less data.".
>
> Thanks,

0
linda1901 (44)
1/16/2006 7:34:44 PM
MS Access is not allowed to directly access the data from mysql db.
The data from mysql db is exported in xml format using a system (with
user login/password) and then imported into MS Access.

0
nepifanio (2)
1/17/2006 9:14:07 PM
I'm not exactly sure what cosmic events make it work for me, but I do  it
all the time.  I access tables in a MySQL database using MS Access.  I make
edits and run reports.

> MS Access is not allowed to directly access the data from mysql db.
> The data from mysql db is exported in xml format using a system (with
> user login/password) and then imported into MS Access.

0
linda1901 (44)
1/18/2006 10:32:04 PM
When nepifanio says "not allowed" that does not imply "it won't work" but
that a "cautious DBA" or a "cautious IT department" will not _permit_ access
to the MySQL database, but will condescend to export as XML so users won't
be completely isolated from their data.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

"Linda Burnside" wrote

 > I'm not exactly sure what cosmic events make
 > it work for me, but I do  it all the time.  I access
 > tables in a MySQL database using MS Access.
 > I make edits and run reports.

 > <nepifanio@gmail.com> wrote
 >> MS Access is not allowed to directly access
 >> the data from mysql db. The data from mysql
 >> db is exported in xml format using a system
 >> (with user login/password) and then imported
 >> into MS Access.

0
bouncer (4168)

Using Iseries Access ODBC Driver with MS ACCESS 2003
When Trying attaching databases into MsAccess2003 using Iseries Access ODBC Driver (I'm in OS400 v5r2) I get an error message according to which the duration of connection is too long and so I can't attach the database although I got the list of the tables in the library I specified. Can anyone help me ? Thanks in advance. The timeout to dispay de data is small. You need to increase this timeout. The problem can occur when the tables are very very very (but very) big. "Bertrand Bard" <bbard@dehon.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:d01a5cc.0404280030.58f11d3e@posting.go...

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon ...

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007 #2
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon Simon van Beek wrote: > Dear reader, > > > > Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in > Access 2002-2003 format? > > > > Tanks for any assistance. > > > > Kind regards and all the best for 2009 > > Simon Yes. There might be some issues, though, depending on how you've programmed the db. Best suggestion, in my eyes, would be testing and playing around a little with *a* *copy* of the database and see what turns up. Most likely, you'd need to set the directory in which the database resides, as a trusted location. A very good sumup of "the good, bad and ugly" ;-) of Access 2007 is this list by Allen Browne http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html -- Roy-Vidar Simon, Best wishes to you too. One question: why do you use so many carriage returns in your messages? They cause readers having to unnecessary scroll. Thanks, John "Simon van Beek" <SvanBeekNL@Versatel.nl> schreef in bericht news:495f3ebf$0$28733$bf4948fe@news.tele2.nl... > Dear reader, > > > > Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access > 2002-2003 format? > > > > Tanks for any assistance. > > > > Kind regards and all the best for 2009 > > Simon >...

How to access data from an MS Excel sheet and import it to a MS Word using LabView?
Hello I would like to know how is it possible to access a specified data( for example row 1 ,column 2 to 5) in an Excel sheet and import it to a word document using LabView. Thanks You can interact with Office application through ActiveX, but you should be warned that it requires opening a lot of properties and going deep into the Office object hierarchy and this does not look nice in LabVIEW. If you open the example finder (Help&gt;&gt;Find Examples) and search for "ActiveX" or "Excel" you should find some examples on the basics of working with Excel. You can do the same with Word, so you can get your data from Excel and put it into Word. If you search here you should also find some threads dealing with this. To learn more about LabVIEW, I suggest you try searching this site and google for LabVIEW tutorials. <a href="http://cnx.rice.edu/content/col10241/latest/" target="_blank">Here</a>, <a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/learningcenter.nsf/03f7c60f17aad210862567a90054a26c/55974411828f779086256ce9007504bd" target="_blank">here</a>, <a href="http://www.mech.uwa.edu.au/jpt/tutorial/index.html" target="_blank">here</a>, <a href="http://www.iit.edu/~labview/Dummies.html" target="_blank">here</a> and <a href="http://www.upscale.utoronto.ca/GeneralInterest/LabView.html" target="_blank">here</a...

Importing text files into MS Access using a Macro
I have 2 problems: 1. I want to import a single text file into an access table using a Macro. I am however getting an error that I need to put a specification name argument. What does this mean? It also suggests that I add a schema.ini in the source folder. What does this .ini do and how do I create and use it? 2. After this is resolved, I would like to be able to import several text files using a macro into the same table. Thanks I'm sure others will be able to shed more light on this: To create an import/export specification, launch the Import Wizard: File | Get External Data | Import... Point to the desired txt file Select the "Advanced..." button Specify the field delimiter, the text qualifier (you might want to select "" in case some of your incoming text fields have punctuations, etc.), and the field names and data types, etc. Then select "Save As" and give that set of specifications a name. You can now use this set of import/export specifications in a macro or in a VBA module. To see these specs as they are saved in the mdb file, select Tools | Options | View, and check System Objects. You'll now see the tables, MSysIMEXSpecs and MSysIMEXColumns. PS you might want to "unshow" these system objects once you've looked at them so you don't accidentally hose them... chimambo@googlemail.com wrote: > I have 2 problems: > > 1. I want to import a single text file into an access table using a &...

How to import a tab delimited text file into MS Access database
Hi, I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. I have a tab delimited text file that needs to be imported into a MS Access table. The table is created and the table structure is defined using DAO methods. So now I have to fill this table with the data in the text files. For a few rows in the text file, the number of columns could be less than the number of columns in the table. Can anyone please post me the code to do this. Thanks a ton in advance. Pradeep wrote: > I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. We'd be happy to give you the VBA code, but do you really want to throw away your C++ and use Microsoft Access for the job? If you want to keep C++, you can ask for C++ code in another newsgroup, because we'd just be guessing. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

Forcing a New Line in a Text Field in MS Access using VB
Heya! I feel I'm beating an old horse to death with this question but I can't get around the problem. I want to update a text field on a form with a string from a VB module. I need enter/linefeeds in the string. I've tried: Chr(10) & Chr(13) Chr(13) & Chr(10 vbnewline vbcrlf none of which seem to work. I've set the properties for the text box to [Enter Key Behavior] = 'New Line In Field' and [Can Grow] = 'yes'. At the moment, my code looks like this: celsql = celsql _ & "Program: " & encname _ & vbCrLf _ & vbCrLf _ & "Start Time: " & sttim _ & vbCrLf _ & "Participants: " & numpart _ & vbCrLf _ & "Confirmed by Curator: " & cbc _ & vbCrLf _ & "Client: " & clntnm _ & vbCrLf _ & "Contact: " & cntct _ & vbCrLf _ & vbCrLf Forms(frm)(bts) = celsql If I toss this string into a [MsgBox], it comes out fine. It's just something about the text field... I'm working in MSAccess 2007, but need it backwards compatible to 2003. I'd really appreciate any advice. Cheers, KG I've seen this type of problem before, but I typically just use a separate text box for each data field. Is there a par...

HELP! Retriving field names and properties from MS Access database using ASP
Hi everyone! I have a really frustrating error and need help. I&#8217;m trying to do a function that gets the properties and names of the fields in a MS Access database using ASP. I haven&#8217;t programmed in a while so I&#8217;m quite lost. Once I have the my database structure I will insert the corresponding fields from a web form but the database is huge and I want to be able to change the database and form without changing the ASP code all the time. This is my function that is not working yet. I cant seem to connect properly to the database... Function InsertDataBase() ...

Importing MS Access data into MS Word
In the thread "combining multiple address fields into 1 address field", Stuart (?) helped solve that problem. I then tried to set up a mail merge in Word to check how I could use and merge the data. I found the database tool bar and opened the appropriate database - but... I could not find a way to open a particular table or query in order to insert the fields from the query into Word. The procedure I followed was this: - open a blank word .doc - from the database tool bar selected "insert database" - a window opened, headed 'Database' and divided into 3 section: at the top a section titled "data source", a middle section titled "data options", a bottom section titled "insert the data into the document" - "under "data source" I clicked "get data" - a window headed 'Select data source' opened - I navigated to the relevant database (mobmem07.mdb) and selected it. - this added the database location to the "data source" part of the 'database' window - I then looked at the "query options" section I found I could not select a table or query from within the database I had opened. Word had merely defaulted to opening one of the two tables in it. The only querying I could do was on the table it had loaded from the functions Word provided. I could not find a way to open any other table let alone a query. Moreover, I couldn't see a wa...

Accessing MS-Access from OpenRoad using ActiveX
Hi I'm wanting to conect to an MS-Access MDB file from an OpenRoad program using ActiveX. Can someone tell me the files I need to use/register for Windows XP? Any other help or suggestions would be most appreciated. Darren dharvey911@hotmail.com ...

Access needs to be installed for me to use MS Access
Hi, Is it required for MS Access to be installed on machines on which I need to deploy windows app which uses MS Access as its backend. If no then how do I access and wrie to access database? Thanks, Vikas. <vikassah@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1166161668.556801.183030@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Is it required for MS Access to be installed on machines on which I > need to deploy windows app which uses MS Access as its backend. If no > then how do I access and wrie to access database? If Access, or the Access runtime (from the developer extensions) is not on the user's machine, then the front-end can be written in a language that supports either DAO or ADO, both of which are available in libraries that are compatible with classic VB (through V6), C++, C#, or VB.NET. There are ther programming languages that can use Windows DLLs, too. Just for the record, though even Microsoft makes the same slip, what you have is _not_ an Access backend, but a Jet database engine backend. DAO support for Jet is available in the "MDAC 5.0" and earlier, and ADO support is available in that, and later versions of MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components). Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP ...

MS Access Script to import data from external mde database to mdb database
Hi, Does anyone know of a way I can write a script that imports a table from a particular .mde file? I don't seen any obvious way to do it as a macro. Any suggestions if it can be done as a macro or as a written module? My ultimate goal is to have script that clears info out of 1 table in an .mdb file, imports an identically structured table from a .mde file, runs an append query I have in place to copy the data from the imported table to the table in my.mbd file, and then delete the imported table. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes, George Hadley ghadley_00@yahoo.com With DBEngine(0)(0) .Execute "DELETE * FROM Suppliers WHERE SupplierID IN (SELECT SupplierID FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers)" .Execute "INSERT INTO Suppliers SELECT * FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers" End With Is this code I would run as a module? Yes or you could use the strings in two separate saved queries. ...

Does MS Access db have problems with multiple users access it at once?
I am developing an Access db which will be used by multiple users. My questions are: Does MS Access have problems with multiple users accessing the db at once? If yes, what is your solution to this problem? I was informed that Access is not a good application for multiple users accessing it at once. Thank you for your assistance to this issue of mine. Will the users just be reading, or will multiple users be writing at the same time? I've seen data corruption in older (Access '97) databases with large numbers of users reading and writing. I haven't seen any corruption where...

How to get Graphs from MS Access and use them in MS Powerpoint
Is there any easy way how to use graphs created in MS Access 2000 in Powerpoint?Especially when I need to use about 20 of them. Is there any development in Office 2003? Oskar *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! Instead of creating the graphs in Access, perhaps you should use vba either (a) to open Powerpoint from within Access and create the graph by pushing data into a Powerpoint template of your own design or (b) start Powerpoint and open the Access database in code and pull the data into a graph. Eith...

Web resources about - how to import text field from MySQL db to MS Access 2003 using ImportXML - comp.databases.ms-access

SFTW: How to scrape webpages and ask questions with Google Docs and =importXML
Here's another Something for the Weekend post. Last week I wrote a post on how to use the =importFeed formula in Google Docs spreadsheets to ...

SFTW: How to scrape webpages and ask questions with Google Docs and =importXML
... (or part of one) into a spreadsheet, and split it into columns. Another formula which performs a similar function more powerfully is =importXML ...

Using ImportXML and XPath in Google Docs to Build a Web Page Monitor
Learn how you can use Google Docs functions like ImportXML with XPath to build a web page monitor with scraping. This will help if you want to ...

No More GoogleLookup in Google Spreadsheets
One of the most useful Google Spreadsheets features is the GoogleLookup function, which allows you to find simple facts and quickly create a ...

Five Must-Have Spreadsheets for Online Marketing Professionals - Pauls Internet Business
By Kalena Jordan in Marketing As an online marketing consultant and trainer for the past 15 years, I have used a LOT of online tools to help ...

Twitter API is Not Just for Developers
I keep stumbling across innovative approaches to using Web APIs, for non-developers. The other day I wrote about quantifying your social media ...

Blog
We work with several publishing clients that manage a multitude of Twitter accounts. We frequently run across the problem of spending too much ...

Scraping Google with Google Spreadsheets
Here at AuthorityLabs, we really like to play with data. Whether it's checking website rankings or tracking indexed pages, we're crunching a ...

Google Spreadsheets Adds Import Functions, Auto-Fill
Google Spreadsheets just got a bit more powerful. There are four new cell functions to automatically import external data: importXml, importData, ...

Google Spreadsheets Lets You Import Online Data
Google Spreadsheets wins the prize for the coolest new features launched this summer in Google's web applications. The magical autofill lets ...