How to link fields in MS word document to Access database

Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an
access database?

What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields
word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be
opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in
an Access database.  I also want to later select the document (from a
file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields
from the database.  Of course if there are then any updates I want to
put them back into the database.

Workable?

Anyone with sample code?

Bob Alston
0
bobalston9 (397)

On Jun 10, 6:21=A0pm, Bob Alston <bobalst...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an
> access database?
Hello Bob,

Instead of Word documents I use RTF-documents. RTF-documents act just
like Word documents in Word. The difference is that RFT-documents are
plain text-files, and can easily be processed in Access to find - with
the appropriate placeholders - the filled in information.

HBInc.

> What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields
> word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be
> opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in
> an Access database. =A0I also want to later select the document (from a
> file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields
> from the database. =A0Of course if there are then any updates I want to
> put them back into the database.
>
> Workable?
>
> Anyone with sample code?
>
> Bob Alston

0
j.van.gils (135)
6/10/2009 8:47:58 PM
hbinc wrote:
> On Jun 10, 6:21 pm, Bob Alston <bobalst...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an
>> access database?
> Hello Bob,
>
> Instead of Word documents I use RTF-documents. RTF-documents act just
> like Word documents in Word. The difference is that RFT-documents are
> plain text-files, and can easily be processed in Access to find - with
> the appropriate placeholders - the filled in information.
>
> HBInc.
>

>> What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields
>> word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be
>> opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in
>> an Access database.  I also want to later select the document (from a
>> file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields
>> from the database.  Of course if there are then any updates I want to
>> put them back into the database.
>>
>> Workable?
>>
>> Anyone with sample code?
>>
>> Bob Alston

Unfortunately I have state government mandated forms that are either in
PDF format or Word.  IN word, they use "text form fields" rather than
bookmarks.

so far I have found some web articles on sending data from Access to
Word and retrieving data from word back to Access.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:9FDm1X2hG-EJ:blogs.techrepublic.com.com/msoffice/%3Fp%3D164+access+vba+word+form+field&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa155434(office.10).aspx?ppud=4

I am still a bit confused about how to build the user interface from the
point that the user is done entering or updating the data in the work
document.  I know how to "grab" the data from the word document into
Access via Access vba code.  But not sure how to easily initiate that.
Would be nice to have a "SAVE" button on the Word document that invokes
the process but not sure how to do that.

Bob Alston
0
bobalston9 (397)
6/10/2009 9:17:53 PM
Some years ago I wrote some stuff, never finished, which output report
fields & pictures into a word document. It more or less created a copy of
the report in word. It might be vaguely what you want or give you some sort
of starting point. If you want I could send you a zip file. It is written in
Access 2K & Word 2000

Phil

"Bob Alston" <bobalston9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> hbinc wrote:
>> On Jun 10, 6:21 pm, Bob Alston <bobalst...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an
>>> access database?
>> Hello Bob,
>>
>> Instead of Word documents I use RTF-documents. RTF-documents act just
>> like Word documents in Word. The difference is that RFT-documents are
>> plain text-files, and can easily be processed in Access to find - with
>> the appropriate placeholders - the filled in information.
>>
>> HBInc.
>>

>>> What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields
>>> word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be
>>> opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in
>>> an Access database.  I also want to later select the document (from a
>>> file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields
>>> from the database.  Of course if there are then any updates I want to
>>> put them back into the database.
>>>
>>> Workable?
>>>
>>> Anyone with sample code?
>>>
>>> Bob Alston
>>
> Unfortunately I have state government mandated forms that are either in
> PDF format or Word.  IN word, they use "text form fields" rather than
> bookmarks.
>
> so far I have found some web articles on sending data from Access to Word
> and retrieving data from word back to Access.
>
> http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:9FDm1X2hG-EJ:blogs.techrepublic.com.com/msoffice/%3Fp%3D164+access+vba+word+form+field&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
>

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa155434(office.10).aspx?ppud=4
>
> I am still a bit confused about how to build the user interface from the
> point that the user is done entering or updating the data in the work
> document.  I know how to "grab" the data from the word document into
> Access via Access vba code.  But not sure how to easily initiate that.
> Would be nice to have a "SAVE" button on the Word document that invokes
> the process but not sure how to do that.
>
> Bob Alston

0
phil126 (320)
6/10/2009 10:55:48 PM
Phil Stanton wrote:
> Some years ago I wrote some stuff, never finished, which output report
> fields & pictures into a word document. It more or less created a copy of
> the report in word. It might be vaguely what you want or give you some sort
> of starting point. If you want I could send you a zip file. It is written in
> Access 2K & Word 2000
>
> Phil
>
> "Bob Alston" <bobalston9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> hbinc wrote:
>>> Hello Bob,
>>>
>>> Instead of Word documents I use RTF-documents. RTF-documents act just
>>> like Word documents in Word. The difference is that RFT-documents are
>>> plain text-files, and can easily be processed in Access to find - with
>>> the appropriate placeholders - the filled in information.
>>>
>>> HBInc.

>> Unfortunately I have state government mandated forms that are either in
>> PDF format or Word.  IN word, they use "text form fields" rather than
>> bookmarks.
>>
>> so far I have found some web articles on sending data from Access to Word
>> and retrieving data from word back to Access.
>>
>> http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:9FDm1X2hG-EJ:blogs.techrepublic.com.com/msoffice/%3Fp%3D164+access+vba+word+form+field&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
>>

>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa155434(office.10).aspx?ppud=4
>>
>> I am still a bit confused about how to build the user interface from the
>> point that the user is done entering or updating the data in the work
>> document.  I know how to "grab" the data from the word document into
>> Access via Access vba code.  But not sure how to easily initiate that.
>> Would be nice to have a "SAVE" button on the Word document that invokes
>> the process but not sure how to do that.
>>
>> Bob Alston

Sure.  Please send it to me.

Bobalston9   At yahoo   DOT    com
0
bobalston9 (397)
6/10/2009 11:01:21 PM
on your word documents, simply add bookmarks to the Text Fields.  Then
call this proceedure to generate a document.  You can customise where
the template is sourced from, and then what the populated document is
saved as. Any changes to the source record that that holds the data
for the document and you can trigger a re-generation of your document
to over-write the existing one.

you will need to add MS Word or similar to your database for this to
work.  In your VB editor, go to Tools>Preferences and then scroll
through the list to find Microsoft Word 11.0 Object Library (I'm using
Access2003).  You just need to find the equivalent.

Then paste this code as an event or module if you wish.

<<<<<<<<< CODE START >>>>>>>>>>>
Private Sub CreateDoc_Click()
On Error GoTo CreateDoc_Err

    Dim objWord As Word.Application
    Dim strTemplate As String
    Dim strDoc As String

    'Setup directory for your template
    strTemplate = "W:\MyFolder\MyOtherFolder\MyTemplateDocument.doc"
    'Setup directory for your saved document
    strDoc = "W:\MyFolder\" & Forms!MyForm!Directory&FileName

    FileCopy strTemplate, strDoc
         Set objWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")
         With objWord
            'Set to false for word to run in the background
            .Visible = False
            .Documents.Open (strDoc)

            'Select the bookmark setup in the template
            .ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("CustomerName").Select
            'Populate the bookmark with this data
            .Selection.Text = (CStr(Forms!MyForm!AField))
            'Repeat for all bookmarks in the document
            .ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("CustomerAddress").Select
            .Selection.Text = (CStr(Forms!MyForm!AnotherField))

'Save the newly generated document per above
objWord.ActiveDocument.Save

'Display a confirmation message
MsgBox "Your document has been generated and saved here: " & Forms!
MyForm!TheFieldContiaingMyDirectory

'Close word
objWord.Quit

End With
Exit Sub

'Set up your own error handling
CreateDoc_Err:
         If Err.Number = 94 Then
            objWord.Selection.Text = ""
         Else
            MsgBox Err.Number & vbCr & Err.Description
         End If
         Exit Sub
End Sub
<<<<<<<<<<<<CODE END>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
DeZZar wrote:
> on your word documents, simply add bookmarks to the Text Fields.  Then
> call this proceedure to generate a document.  You can customise where
> the template is sourced from, and then what the populated document is
> saved as. Any changes to the source record that that holds the data
> for the document and you can trigger a re-generation of your document
> to over-write the existing one.
>
> you will need to add MS Word or similar to your database for this to
> work.  In your VB editor, go to Tools>Preferences and then scroll
> through the list to find Microsoft Word 11.0 Object Library (I'm using
> Access2003).  You just need to find the equivalent.
>
> Then paste this code as an event or module if you wish.
>
> <<<<<<<<< CODE START >>>>>>>>>>>
> Private Sub CreateDoc_Click()
> On Error GoTo CreateDoc_Err
>
>     Dim objWord As Word.Application
>     Dim strTemplate As String
>     Dim strDoc As String
>
>     'Setup directory for your template
>     strTemplate = "W:\MyFolder\MyOtherFolder\MyTemplateDocument.doc"
>     'Setup directory for your saved document
>     strDoc = "W:\MyFolder\" & Forms!MyForm!Directory&FileName
>
>     FileCopy strTemplate, strDoc
>          Set objWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")
>          With objWord
>             'Set to false for word to run in the background
>             .Visible = False
>             .Documents.Open (strDoc)
>
>             'Select the bookmark setup in the template
>             .ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("CustomerName").Select
>             'Populate the bookmark with this data
>             .Selection.Text = (CStr(Forms!MyForm!AField))
>             'Repeat for all bookmarks in the document
>             .ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("CustomerAddress").Select
>             .Selection.Text = (CStr(Forms!MyForm!AnotherField))
>
> 'Save the newly generated document per above
> objWord.ActiveDocument.Save
>
> 'Display a confirmation message
> MsgBox "Your document has been generated and saved here: " & Forms!
> MyForm!TheFieldContiaingMyDirectory
>
> 'Close word
> objWord.Quit
>
> End With
> Exit Sub
>
> 'Set up your own error handling
> CreateDoc_Err:
>          If Err.Number = 94 Then
>             objWord.Selection.Text = ""
>          Else
>             MsgBox Err.Number & vbCr & Err.Description
>          End If
>          Exit Sub
> End Sub
> <<<<<<<<<<<<CODE END>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Unfortunately I cannot use bookmarks.  I must use the existing text form
fields.

bob
0
bobalston9 (397)
6/11/2009 12:20:20 AM
Sorry Bob I'm just a little confused.  All my templates working with
this code have Text Fields as well....

are we both talking about the little grey boxes that allow a form to
filled out when protected?
DeZZar wrote:
> Sorry Bob I'm just a little confused.  All my templates working with
> this code have Text Fields as well....
>
> are we both talking about the little grey boxes that allow a form to
> filled out when protected?
Yes.  But I understood from reading that there was a difference between
bookmarks and "text form fields".  But yes, I have the little grey boxes
that allow data to be entered.

bob
0
bobalston9 (397)
6/11/2009 1:33:40 AM
ok, you can add a bookmark to these fields.  When the document is
protected these fields are the only ones that can be edited.  This is
ok for the code above, it will still work.

I presume from your comments above that the forms you wish to complete
aren't yours and you don't have access to them on an editing level?

If not, you will find that each text field already has a default
bookmark.  It will simply be Text1, Text2 etc instead of meaningful
names.

If your unable to unprotect the word document for editing then you
need to figure out the order of the default bookmarks.  Try the code
using say just Text1 as the only bookmark to start with.  Have a look
at what is populated and work from there.

If you don't want to save copies of the form and just want it to
populate and display on screen use this code instead:

If the government forms are public point me to where they can be
downloaded and I'll test this out for you.

<<<<<<CODE START>>>>>>>
Private Sub PrintChecklist_Click()
      On Error GoTo PrintChecklist_Err
         Dim objWord As Word.Application

         Set objWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")
         With objWord
            .Visible = Flase
            '.Visible = True
            .Documents.Open ("H:\YourTemplate")
            'Select the bookmark setup in the template
            .ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("CustomerName").Select
            'Populate the bookmark with this data
            .Selection.Text = (CStr(Forms!MyForm!AField))
            'Repeat for all bookmarks in the document
            .ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("CustomerAddress").Select
            .Selection.Text = (CStr(Forms!MyForm!AnotherField))
         End With

         'Below lines commented our to stop word from printing,
closing, saving or quiting.
         'objWord.ActiveDocument.PrintOut Background:=False
         'objWord.ActiveDocument.Close SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges
         'objWord.Quit

         Set objWord = Nothing
         Exit Sub

PrintChecklist_Err:
MsgBox Err.Number & vbCr & Err.Description

End Sub
<<<<<<<<END CODE>>>>>>>>>>>>>
woops - on the above, change the code to reflect:
Visible = True
DeZZar wrote:
> ok, you can add a bookmark to these fields.  When the document is
> protected these fields are the only ones that can be edited.  This is
> ok for the code above, it will still work.
>
> I presume from your comments above that the forms you wish to complete
> aren't yours and you don't have access to them on an editing level?
>
> If not, you will find that each text field already has a default
> bookmark.  It will simply be Text1, Text2 etc instead of meaningful
> names.
>
> If your unable to unprotect the word document for editing then you
> need to figure out the order of the default bookmarks.  Try the code
> using say just Text1 as the only bookmark to start with.  Have a look
> at what is populated and work from there.
>
> If you don't want to save copies of the form and just want it to
> populate and display on screen use this code instead:
>
> If the government forms are public point me to where they can be
> downloaded and I'll test this out for you.
>
> <<<<<<CODE START>>>>>>>
> Private Sub PrintChecklist_Click()
>       On Error GoTo PrintChecklist_Err
>          Dim objWord As Word.Application
>
>          Set objWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")
>          With objWord
>             .Visible = Flase
>             '.Visible = True
>             .Documents.Open ("H:\YourTemplate")
>             'Select the bookmark setup in the template
>             .ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("CustomerName").Select
>             'Populate the bookmark with this data
>             .Selection.Text = (CStr(Forms!MyForm!AField))
>             'Repeat for all bookmarks in the document
>             .ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("CustomerAddress").Select
>             .Selection.Text = (CStr(Forms!MyForm!AnotherField))
>          End With
>
>          'Below lines commented our to stop word from printing,
> closing, saving or quiting.
>          'objWord.ActiveDocument.PrintOut Background:=False
>          'objWord.ActiveDocument.Close SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges
>          'objWord.Quit
>
>          Set objWord = Nothing
>          Exit Sub
>
> PrintChecklist_Err:
> MsgBox Err.Number & vbCr & Err.Description
>
> End Sub
> <<<<<<<<END CODE>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Thanks.
0
bobalston9 (397)

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

I have a very frustrating problem. I have a situation that works fine on some computers, but not on others. I have SQL Server Express 2005 and Access 2003 loaded on 4 computers. I have set up a "Linked Server" in SQL Server linked to my Access database. I am running queries on t-SQL against the Access tables through the linked server. On all of the computers, I can do select queries and they all work great but what I need to do is run Update, Insert, Delete queries as well. On a couple of the computers, it works fine, locally and across the LAN, and a VPN as far as that goes. B...

Would like to somehow link specific eMails in my message store to MS Access database
Is it possible for me to open, read and display a specific eMail message from within an Access database? Perhaps I have received an eMail from a customer in the customers table that I wish to save in my mail client's message store. Maybe I don't want to cut 'n paste its contents into a memo field in the customers table. I just want to save a pointer to it so when flipping through customer records on a form, I can pull it up & view it inside the database. Any suggestions? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx MLH <CRCI@NorthState.net> wrote: >Is it possible f...

HELP! Retriving field names and properties from MS Access database using ASP
Hi everyone! I have a really frustrating error and need help. I&#8217;m trying to do a function that gets the properties and names of the fields in a MS Access database using ASP. I haven&#8217;t programmed in a while so I&#8217;m quite lost. Once I have the my database structure I will insert the corresponding fields from a web form but the database is huge and I want to be able to change the database and form without changing the ASP code all the time. This is my function that is not working yet. I cant seem to connect properly to the database... Function InsertDataBase() ...

Importing MS Access data into MS Word
In the thread "combining multiple address fields into 1 address field", Stuart (?) helped solve that problem. I then tried to set up a mail merge in Word to check how I could use and merge the data. I found the database tool bar and opened the appropriate database - but... I could not find a way to open a particular table or query in order to insert the fields from the query into Word. The procedure I followed was this: - open a blank word .doc - from the database tool bar selected "insert database" - a window opened, headed 'Database' and divided into 3 sec...

Inserting value from MS Word into MS Access
If there are any enlightend souls out there that can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to use a macro to take a value and add it to an access database. I am having a problem with the very first line of code, Dim myDatabase as Database, the system does not recognize the Database object. PLEASE if there is anyone out there that has a piece of code that sends info from a word file into a access database... send it to me. I will Love you forever. Evan wrote: > If there are any enlightend souls out there that can help me, I would > greatly appreciate it. I would like to use a macro to take a value and > add it to an access database. > > I am having a problem with the very first line of code, > Dim myDatabase as Database, the system does not recognize the Database > object. Add a reference to DAO or use an Object variable and late bind it (set db=CreateObject("DAO.Database"), although the first way will give you intellisense. -- \\\\\\ \\ \\ Windows is searching \ \ For your sig. \ \ Please Wait. \__\ mmm, I am sorry - I am really new at this... I have added the ADO reference, and I want to execute this SQL - "insert into documents (title) values ('testTitle')" How do I write the actual code, I had it before but then I deleted the wrong file... now I am back at square one Evan wrote: > mmm, I am sorry - I am really new at this... I have added the ADO > referenc...

Web resources about - How to link fields in MS word document to Access database - comp.databases.ms-access

Killian documents controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The provider of the documents, Lt. Col. Bill Burkett , claims to have burned the originals after faxing copies to CBS. CBS News producer Mary ...

Secret documents reveal passionate affair
THIS is certainly not your typical love story. It is one full of betrayal, a love child and murder.

Level crossings: sky rail avoided delays and power shut downs, documents suggest
Premier Daniel Andrews' plan to remove level crossings in Melbourne's southeast could have been delayed by at least two years and caused countless ...

Former VW employee says he was fired after questioning deletion of documents
A former Volkswagen Group employee has sued the auto company, saying he was fired after he told VW’s in-house lawyers and its information technology ...

Chelsea Manning: Insider Threat document shows US government employees are under surveillance
The US government is busy putting thousands of its own employees under 'permanent surveillance' according to a document obtained by Chelsea Manning. ...

Hulk Hogan awarded $115 mn in sex-tape suit - Business Standard News New Document Widgets Magazine Widgets ...
The retired wrestler Hulk Hogan was awarded $115 million in damages on Friday by a Florida jury in an invasion of privacy case against Gawker.com ...

Xerox Printers Will Translate A Document Just By Hitting the Print Button
... to their multi-function printers. At its most basic, you’ll be able to tap a few buttons on a ConnectKey-enabled Xerox printer, scan a document, ...

Michigan governor releases more Flint emails, documents
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder on Thursday released another 4,400 pages of his executive office's emails and documents related ...

Documents with malicious macros deliver fileless malware
Spammed Word documents with malicious macros have become a popular method of infecting computers over the past few months. Attackers are now ...

Senate Committee Demands DHS Produce Whistle-Blower Smear Documents
Senate Committee Demands DHS Produce Whistle-Blower Smear Documents