Identifying Access Databases with tables linked from other Databases/Files

Hi,

Have a number of Access Databases that I inherited and want to zip a
few of them.  My concern is that other active Microsoft Applications
may be linking to the database or its tables.  Is there a method of
searching that will allow me to identify those MS Access files that are
linked to.  I am not really concerned with itemizing the which files
link to which, but just that a link exists.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill

It is easy to find the files which it links to but I don't know of any way
to find the files which link to it.

If you want to find the ones it links to look up the "linked table manager".

If you want it the other way round I can't think of any suggestions :(

<bill.brennum@grainger.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Have a number of Access Databases that I inherited and want to zip a
> few of them.  My concern is that other active Microsoft Applications
> may be linking to the database or its tables.  Is there a method of
> searching that will allow me to identify those MS Access files that are
> linked to.  I am not really concerned with itemizing the which files
> link to which, but just that a link exists.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Bill

0
johnortt (40)
8/10/2005 4:52:31 PM
John,

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah I had the linked table manager for the
databases linked to.  The linked from is what I want.

Bill

The only way I can think of doing the reverse of what the linked table
manager does is to use DAO and loop through the tabledefs, querydefs
(and other objects) of each database in your network/computer and check
the Connection string on all the tables.  You *might* have to check the
queries for somethign like "IN <database path>".
you might also have to check the hidden queries that act as rowsources
for form controls etc.  Depends entirely on how complex your databases
are.

IOW, think of *all* the ways you can connect one database to another,
and then search for all references.

but I could be completely on crack.... but that's the only way to do it
that my low HP brain can come up with...

0
pietlinden (2926)
8/10/2005 7:23:06 PM
Hi Bill,

Look at the Connect property in the help file. Linked tables belong to a
TableDef collection in their respective databases. TdfLinked.connect gives
you a string that contains the name of the source database. You would have
to build a procedure that opens all your databases one at a time, goes to
the TableDef collection and gets the connect property of each table. You
would parse the connect string to get the source database and build a list
of non-duplicate source databases. If you were sure all the linked tables in
a database linked to the same database, you would only need to go to one
linked table to get the source database.

--
                                        PC Datasheet
Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications

<bill.brennum@grainger.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Have a number of Access Databases that I inherited and want to zip a
> few of them.  My concern is that other active Microsoft Applications
> may be linking to the database or its tables.  Is there a method of
> searching that will allow me to identify those MS Access files that are
> linked to.  I am not really concerned with itemizing the which files
> link to which, but just that a link exists.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Bill

0
nospam3319 (977)
8/10/2005 7:25:04 PM
bill.brennum@grainger.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have a number of Access Databases that I inherited and want to zip a
> few of them.  My concern is that other active Microsoft Applications
> may be linking to the database or its tables.  Is there a method of
> searching that will allow me to identify those MS Access files that are
> linked to.  I am not really concerned with itemizing the which files
> link to which, but just that a link exists.

As others have suggested you'd have to crawl through the network
directories and find all database, then check their Connect property of
any tabledef.  It's perfectly doable (if you have the knowledge of DAO
to do it).

OTOH, the only thing you'd have to be certain of is that no one has a
local copy or another database on their PC drive(s).  There's no way to
find those (without getting people mad at you for searching their local
drives).

0
acuttitta (38)
8/10/2005 8:24:45 PM
pietlinden@hotmail.com wrote:

> The only way I can think of doing the reverse of what the linked table
> manager does is to use DAO and loop through the tabledefs, querydefs
> (and other objects) of each database in your network/computer and check
> the Connection string on all the tables.  You *might* have to check the
> queries for somethign like "IN <database path>".

I haven't got a clue how to do it, but shouldn't any active links
initiate the locking ldb file?  I know there's ways and methods out on
the net and possibly at the Access Web for determining users via an ldb,
so I wonder if it's possible to do something similar to find what apps
are currently hitting the mdb?

I know in Oracle, I use v$_Session for this.
--
Tim   http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/
^o<

> bill.brennum@grainger.com wrote:

>> Have a number of Access Databases that I inherited and want to
>> zip a few of them.  My concern is that other active Microsoft
>> Applications may be linking to the database or its tables.  Is
>> there a method of searching that will allow me to identify those
>> MS Access files that are linked to.  I am not really concerned
>> with itemizing the which files link to which, but just that a
>> link exists.
>
> As others have suggested you'd have to crawl through the network
> directories and find all database, then check their Connect
> property of any tabledef.  It's perfectly doable (if you have the
> knowledge of DAO to do it).
>
> OTOH, the only thing you'd have to be certain of is that no one
> has a local copy or another database on their PC drive(s).
> There's no way to find those (without getting people mad at you
> for searching their local drives).

Well, you'd also want to check the LDB files on the server (using
LDBUSR.DLL or ADO UserRoster). That would at least tell you which
workstations had the MDB files open.

dfenton at bway dot net                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc
0
dXXXfenton (2542)

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

Export table from old Access 2002 Database to create a new database
Hi , I'm wondering if there is a way for me to export some tables including data and structure from old database to a new database and then save as new database name. I try to create a marco and it create a new table within the same database. I would be appreciated if you can help me to create a code for one button that will export selected tables to a new database and then save as a new database name file. Thanks ;-) There's some example code here: http://allenbrowne.com/unlinked/backup.txt It creates a new database, and loops through the tables in the current database, writing them to the new database. If a table is skipped (e.g. currently locked), it writes that to an error log. It exports the data into the backup file, whether the tables are linked or local. It does not create relations, or set all the field properties. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia. Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. <learning_codes@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1157413122.083228.93930@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > > I'm wondering if there is a way for me to export some tables including > data and structure from old database to a new database and then save as > new database name. > > I try to create a marco and it create a new table within the same > database. > > I would be appreciated if you can help me to create a code for o...

Link from one database to tables of other database
Hi, I am trying to Link one MS Access database to the tables of a second MS Access database using Tools-->Database Utilities-->Linked Table Manager. I receive the error "Method 'List' of Object 'IFieldListWnd' failed" I have been successful in doing this before, but do not understand why I can't seem to do this, this time? Thanks for your ideas! Zufie On Mar 24, 9:43=A0am, zufie <john.marru...@illinois.gov> wrote: > Hi, > I am trying to Link one MS Access database to the tables of a second > MS Access database using Tools-->Database Utilities-->Linked Table > Manager. > > I receive the error "Method 'List' of Object 'IFieldListWnd' failed" > > I have been successful in doing this before, but do not understand why > I can't seem to do this, this time? > > Thanks for your ideas! > > Zufie Figured it out. For whatever reason, I must first open the application MS Access 2000. Following this I must open the first Access database via the application MS Access 2000 and then proceed to linking the first Access database with the second Access database. Zuf ...

MS Access Script to import data from external mde database to mdb database
Hi, Does anyone know of a way I can write a script that imports a table from a particular .mde file? I don't seen any obvious way to do it as a macro. Any suggestions if it can be done as a macro or as a written module? My ultimate goal is to have script that clears info out of 1 table in an .mdb file, imports an identically structured table from a .mde file, runs an append query I have in place to copy the data from the imported table to the table in my.mbd file, and then delete the imported table. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes, George Hadley ghadley_00@yahoo.com With DBEngine(0)(0) .Execute "DELETE * FROM Suppliers WHERE SupplierID IN (SELECT SupplierID FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers)" .Execute "INSERT INTO Suppliers SELECT * FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers" End With Is this code I would run as a module? Yes or you could use the strings in two separate saved queries. ...

MS Access VBA making multiple tables in database from a main table.
I have a database table called "tbl_personal" and struggling to VBA program a bit of code to create multiple tables in a database from the main "tbl_personal" table. In this case the 'color' column is the field I would like to look at. 1. Identify the number of unique records in column 'color' 2. For each color record that is label as red in the "tbl_personal" table, create a table called 'red' and populate with all red records in from the "tbl_personal" table. 3.Then move onto the next unique color and repeat the whole process again. 4. When all unique color tables are created in MS Access database end with a msg "batch process done" name surname age color country aa aaa 1 red UK bb bbb 10 green USA cc ccc 20 blue China dd ddd 30 red Germany ee eee 40 green France ff fff 1 blue Italy gg ggg 20 red Spain hh hhh 40 yellow Canada ii iii 34 black Italy =85 Is this doable automatically in MS Access? Many thanks. brenda Are you sure you want to do this? I would expect 3 tables vis: Table of Personel with PersonelID, Suname, FirstName, ColourID, CountryID & DateOfBirth (Age will be out of date next birthday and should be calculated), Table of Colours ColourID & Colour Table of Countries CountryID & Country. You can then use simple queries to return all the red people or people who live in UK. Am I missing something? Phil <bbcdancer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:495c4ca6...

Convert Access 2003 database file to Access 2010
How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access 2010 file format? According to Microsoft (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the print options only. How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to display? My 2002-2003 Access database file has 3 tables, 19 queries, 5 forms, and 16 reports. After I open the file up it gives the "Security Warning: Soame active content has been disabled. Click for more details." then there is a button "Enable Content". Before and after I click the "Enable Button" the file tab only has print options available. Thank you for your help, jfcby jfcby <jamesfc30@gmail.com> wrote in news:f4dc9993-afa3-4fed-8180-22786eaa7f83@l14g2000yql.googlegroups.co m: > How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access > 2010 file format? > > According to Microsoft > (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ > convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? > queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is > possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the > print options only. > > How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to > display? ...

UPDATE VALUE IN ACCESS DATABASE-CONNECTIVITY DATABASE?
Hi to all labviewers, I'm trying to update some values in my access database with sql and labview connectivity toolset but i got an error, what is the problem whit my code? note: when i try to update one colum it's work fine. &nbsp; regard's eyal. UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/152737/1/UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C5EE8B.DE98AE20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I'm not sure if you can use comma's to se...

Web resources about - Identifying Access Databases with tables linked from other Databases/Files - comp.databases.ms-access

Wikipedia:Identifying reliable sources (medicine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page documents an English Wikipedia content guideline . It is a generally accepted standard that editors should attempt to follow, though ...

Wikipedia:Identifying reliable sources - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page documents an English Wikipedia content guideline . It is a generally accepted standard that editors should attempt to follow, though ...

Is Your SOS Free Diet Really SOS Free? Identifying Hidden Sources of Salt/Sodium, Oil/Fat & Sugars/Sweeteners ...
Is Your SOS Free Diet Really SOS Free? Identifying Hidden Sources of Salt/Sodium, Oil/Fat & Sugars/Sweeteners Jeff Novick, MS, RD Many people ...

fbFund - Identifying Talent: The Search Is On
fbFund - Identifying Talent: The Search Is On

FREE Creative Commons Macro Fingerprints Identifying Lines and Swirls - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Want to know more about me? Visit my official website www.PinkSherbet.com! free for use My photos that have a creative commons license and are ...

ViralSearch: Identifying and Visualizing Viral Content - YouTube
What does it mean for online content to "go viral"? An analysis of almost a billion information cascades on Twitter news, videos, and photos ...

Do you know this tattoo? Police want help identifying critically injured cyclist
Police have released photos of a man's tattoo in attempt to discover the identity of a cyclist critically injured in Ballarat on Monday night. ...

Pokies players have trouble identifying addiction warning signs
Regular players of the pokies find it difficult to identify early warning signs that they are addicted, according to a study published on Monday. ...

Police appeal for help identifying driver
Police are appealing for public help in identifying the driver of a car involved in an incident in Canberra earlier this week.

UK close to identifying Foley killer
Abdel-Majed Abdel Bary, a former rapper from London, is suspected to be the Briton who murdered US journalist James Foley.