Is there a way to display alternate text in a text box if field is empty

The Results Form I am working on has a field for price.  Some of the
records do not have price
at this time.

Is there a way to program the text box to read, "Contact Whoever for
details" if
the field price is left blank.

Or will I just have to put that message in the price field in the
table for every record that I don't want to put the price in right
now.

You "could" just set the default value for the text box to that value, and
if the users don't know the price, then that value will be saved with the
record. If they do know it, they can simply erase the default value and type
over it.

Or:

You could use the Form's BeforeUpdate event:

If Me!<yourControlName> = "" or IsNull(Me!<yourControlName>) Then
    Me!<yourControlName> = "Whatever value you want here"
End If

--
James Lankford

"Kenneth Grice" <kennethgrice@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The Results Form I am working on has a field for price.  Some of the
> records do not have price
> at this time.
>
> Is there a way to program the text box to read, "Contact Whoever for
> details" if
> the field price is left blank.
>
> Or will I just have to put that message in the price field in the
> table for every record that I don't want to put the price in right
> now.

On 27 Oct 2003 18:49:25 -0800, kennethgrice@yahoo.com (Kenneth Grice)
wrote:

You don't want to do your last suggestion, because your Price field
should be Currency.

If the message is different for different situations:
Contact Jim for details
Contact Mary for details
then I would suggest a new field NoPriceNotes.

If message always the same, you can put it somewhere on the form,
perhaps even in the statusbar.

-Tom.

>The Results Form I am working on has a field for price.  Some of the
>records do not have price
>at this time.
>
>Is there a way to program the text box to read, "Contact Whoever for
>details" if
>the field price is left blank.
>
>Or will I just have to put that message in the price field in the
>table for every record that I don't want to put the price in right
>now.

0
tom7744 (598)
10/28/2003 3:40:41 AM
If you are viewing a single form at a time.

Try using a unbound text control with its default value set to your message,
then with the form's on current event you could fill-in the control with the
current price if set. You would then use the after update event of the
control to fill-in the price field after the user enters a value.

"Kenneth Grice" <kennethgrice@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The Results Form I am working on has a field for price.  Some of the
> records do not have price
> at this time.
>
> Is there a way to program the text box to read, "Contact Whoever for
> details" if
> the field price is left blank.
>
> Or will I just have to put that message in the price field in the
> table for every record that I don't want to put the price in right
> now.

0
paii (418)

Access Report Footer displaying the sum of a text box values in the Detail in another text box in the page's footer
How can I (if I can) display the sum of a text box values in the Detail in another text box in the page's footer? For example, I have a text box called "txtPoints" in the detail which displays the total points for a current activity. As it cycles through all the activities it displays the various points for each activity. In the page's footer I want to display the total points. Here's what I have in the control source for the totals textbox: =Sum([txtPoints].[Text]) but that doesn't work. Any suggestions? On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:17:03 GMT, Richard Hollenbeck wrote: > How can I (if I can) display the sum of a text box values in the Detail in > another text box in the page's footer? > > For example, I have a text box called "txtPoints" in the detail which > displays the total points for a current activity. As it cycles through all > the activities it displays the various points for each activity. > In the page's footer I want to display the total points. Here's what I have > in the control source for the totals textbox: > > =Sum([txtPoints].[Text]) > > but that doesn't work. Any suggestions? Read Microsoft Knowledgebase article: 132017 'How to sum a column of numbers in a report by page' -- Fred Please only reply to this newsgroup. I do not reply to personal email. ...

Unbound text box, text>255, MS Access/PostgreSQL
Hello. I have the following problem with MS Access/PostgreSQL combination: There is a form in Access that has an unbound text box, used for entering a commentary of a batch of records. There is a DAO Append Query that has a parameter that is passed from the text box using parameter of DAO QueryDef object. I adjusted B7 parameter (Text as LongVarchar) in connection string (ODBC driver) to 1, so that Access links PostgreSQL Text fields as Memo fields in Access. The intention was to be able to enter unlimited length commentary into the field. But, although I can enter unlimited text by using bound text box in some other forms, in this particular form I can't use bound control, so I need to pass text from UNBOUND control to the linked table by using DAO or ADO code. It seems that DAO query can't accept Memo as parameter, but only text. If my text exceeds length of 255, I have an VBA error 3271. If text in unbound text box is shorter that 255 everything is OK. So, is there any way to pass text of length >255 from unbound text box to Memo field of linked PostgreSQL table, by using DAO or ADO ? Thanks in advance, Zlatko On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 01:15:54 +0200, "Zlatko Mati�" <zlatko.matic1@sb.t-com.hr> wrote: >Hello. >I have the following problem with MS Access/PostgreSQL combination: >There is a form in Access that has an unbound text box, used for entering a >commentary of a batch of records. >There is a DAO Append Query tha...

Displaying text in a text box depending on selection made in list box on same form
Hi I have an unbound text box on a form from which the user can choose a product. When the user chooses a product, I want the text box on the same form to display the description of that product. right now I can get it to display the row number of the product that corresponds to what the user clicked but not the value of the Product Description which is what I want. The fields in the tables are both text. here is the code: Private Sub LstContactProducts_AfterUpdate() txtProductDescription.SetFocus txtProductDescription.Text = LstContactProducts.Column(2,txtProductDescription) End Sub Thanks in advance Colin Colin, why don't you create the combobox, with from a table or query with all the information you need and use cboComboboxname.column(0), cboComboboxname.colum(1) etc etc...to populate the fields you want? HTH Michael "Colin Ward" <cward002@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:2a660c80.0308010710.26b3257@posting.google.com... > Hi I have an unbound text box on a form from which the user can choose > a product. When the user chooses a product, I want the text box on the > same form to display the description of that product. right now I can > get it to display the row number of the product that corresponds to > what the user clicked but not the value of the Product Description > which is what I want. The fields in the tables are both text. > > here is the code: > > Private Sub LstContactProducts_AfterUpdate() > txtP...

Quickly adding text to a mysql text field that is NOT empty
Hi all Is there a way to insert text into a mysql text field that already has text into it; without having first to extract the existing data and append the new text to that string variable and then insert the new string. Basically i'm looking for a way to do it with a single query not 2 (one being a select to gather existing data). Please help! I could have sworn I already replied to this but it appears that it did not go through, but anyway; you want to modify the contents of an existing field without having to fetch it using a query, yes? This is possible through the use of MySQL&#...

text-text

text box dependent on other text box entry
I want to have a form with 40 PartNumber text boxes, 40 PartDescription text boxes, and 40 PartPrice text boxes. The name of each would vary of course, but I want to be able to enter the part number in the PartNumber in the PartNumber text box for each replaced part. After the number has been entered the PartDescription and the PartPrice should show up in the other respective text boxes. I will be linking to a table that includes 3 columns labeled PartNumber, PartDescription, and PartPrice. For instance, if I enter "12345" in the PartNumber text box then the description of the part along with its price should appear in each of their respective text boxes. If PartNumber 12345 is a Washer that costs 0.75 then The PartDescription, and PartPrice should read Washer in PartDescription text box and $0.75 in the PartPrice text box. In other words I need some code or method that upon entering a PartNumber in the PartNumber field finds the record referred to and then returns the value other columns in the table. There should be no error if a field is left blank. This database will be used to enter warranty claims, so that the user will be able to enter parts and automatically know how much they will be reimbursed for the part. Thanks for your help, Shannan Casteel -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/databases-ms-access/200507/1 hmm... 40 partnumber textboxes? Are you sure you don't want something like a d...

text + text

Adding Combo Box Text To A Text Box
I have a combo box and a text box on a form. When I choose a value from the combo box, I want it to be added to the textbox. I'm able to do this by using the following code when I click the combo box: Me!Textbox = Me!TextBox & Me!ComboBox I now need the additional combo box items to be added on a new line in the text box each time I click the combo box. I've tried using Sendkeys "^{Enter} but I'm not achieving the desired result. I know this is probably very simple, but I'm just not seeing it. Any help is appreciated. This will do it: Private Sub ComboBox_AfterUpdate() If IsNull(Me.Textbox) Then Me.Textbox = ComboBox Else Me.Textbox = Me.Textbox & vbNewLine & ComboBox End If End Sub Wayne wrote: >I have a combo box and a text box on a form. When I choose a value >from the combo box, I want it to be added to the textbox. I'm able to >do this by using the following code when I click the combo box: > >Me!Textbox = Me!TextBox & Me!ComboBox > >I now need the additional combo box items to be added on a new line in >the text box each time I click the combo box. I've tried using >Sendkeys "^{Enter} but I'm not achieving the desired result. > >I know this is probably very simple, but I'm just not seeing it. Any >help is appreciated. -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000 Message posted via AccessMonster.com http:/...

Parsing out data on text field in MS ACCESS
Hi All, A newbie here having a hard time figuring out how to parse out the City, State and Zip from a text field. I have a text field called "Registration" with a size of 40. In this field there are city, state and zip information. I need to seperate all three items into their own respective fields. Unfortunately, the information varies in size and location. An example, would be: "LOS ANGELES CA90063 ", while another record would be "LOS ANGELES CA90063". If anyone can point me to any references or examples on the web, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Assuming that you have "inherited" this structure, and need to sort it out one time, after which it will stay in its separate fields, I'd suggest this procedure: Export the table to Excel. Use Data - Text to Columns to separate the data Re-import to Access. HTH - Turtle "Ronnie" <cyberron28@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:51be4a51.0401081529.2b96be83@posting.google.com... > Hi All, > > A newbie here having a hard time figuring out how to parse out the > City, State and Zip from a text field. I have a text field called > "Registration" with a size of 40. In this field there are city, state > and zip information. I need to seperate all three items into their > own respective fields. Unfortunately, the information varies in size > and location. An example, would be: > "...

Show Text box on Top of another Text Box
Hi, I have a text box with conditional formating so if certain conditions are m= et it display either Green or Red. I want to put another text box on top of= it (this text box is smaller than the "conditional formating" text box) an= d have the the text in this text box displayed. Basically I want the condit= ional text box to form a colour border around the displayed text. How do I do that? Thanks, Barry On Apr 1, 11:18=A0am, Barry Edmund Wright <barry.edmund.wri...@witstoronto.ca> wrote: > Hi, > > I have a text box with conditional formating so if certain conditions are= met it display either Green or Red. I want to put another text box on top = of it (this text box is smaller than the "conditional formating" text box) = and have the the text in this text box displayed. Basically I want the cond= itional text box to form a colour border around the displayed text. > > How do I do that? > > Thanks, > Barry Why not overlay the textbox and set Visible =3D False. Then when true change to Visible =3D True. Barry Edmund Wright <barry.edmund.wright@witstoronto.ca> wrote in news:21224033.2400.1333297115162.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbbdy 9: > Hi, > > I have a text box with conditional formating so if certain > conditions are met it display either Green or Red. I want to put > another text box on top of it (this text box is smaller than the > "conditional formating" text box) and hav...

text field only for text
Hi I would like some help about the following : I have a text field and I don't want it contains any numbers. How can I limit this situation ? So far, I couldn't find literature exacly about this here in the newsgroup. TIA Paulo "Paulo Rodrigues" <amigo.alf@netvisao.pt> wrote in message news:<newscache$kgmtmh$bb1$1@newsfront4.netvisao.pt>... > Hi > > I would like some help about the following : > > I have a text field and I don't want it contains any numbers. How can I > limit > this situation ? > > So far, I couldn't find literature exacly about this here in the newsgroup. > > TIA > Paulo Paulo, the online help is your FRIEND. Private Sub Text0_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer) If KeyAscii >= 48 And KeyAscii <= 57 Then KeyAscii = 0 End If End Sub Just put this code in the KeyPress event of whatever text field you do not want to contain numbers. OR you could glue thumbtacks to the number keys on all your users keyboards... Thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. Avoid magic numbers, especially when you can use builtin VBA constants. The following is a little more intuitive to read and a future developer does not have to lookup 48 and 57 to see exactly what is being blocked. Private Sub Text2_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer) 'Cancel any numeric keys If KeyAscii >= vbKey0 And KeyAscii <= vbKey9 Then KeyAscii = 0 End If End Sub The above solu...

Selecting text in a text box
When I attempt to select text in a text box, the text from the cursor position to the end of the text is instantly selected as soon as I click the mouse down. There seems to be no way to select just a small portion of the text in a text box. This seems pretty basic. What am I missing? I'm using Access 97 on an XP system. Steve Richfield First, (I don't remember if this is an option in 97) check Tools|Options|Keyboard tab, Behavior Entering Field. This setting will adjust the behavior for all forms and controls. Next, you would need to click at the start of the area you want to highlight and drag over the rest of the area you want to highlight while holding down the left mouse button until you reach the end of the desired text. If you will always want to highlight the same section of text, then in the control's Got Focus event you can select text using code. Check the SelStart and SelLength properties in the VBA help file. -- Wayne Morgan MS Access MVP "Steve Richfield" <google@smart-life.net> wrote in message news:785c9c16.0411052022.261ec5e2@posting.google.com... > When I attempt to select text in a text box, the text from the cursor > position to the end of the text is instantly selected as soon as I > click the mouse down. There seems to be no way to select just a small > portion of the text in a text box. > > This seems pretty basic. What am I missing? I'm using Access 97 on an > XP system. > > Ste...

rich text in text field

Highlighy text in Text Box
Using an InputBox, there is the option to *suggest* text (Default). It appears highlighted and can be accepted or replaced by the user. I am attempting to create my own input form which has one Text Box, one command button (cmdAccept ) and a simple label to tell the user to make an entry. What I cannot do is to mimic that suggested default input string. Can someone show me how to do it? The following code is from a test program with two forms. '#### this is on FrmMain Private Sub Option1_Click() ' Other Event selected - 14 character maximum With FrmBGOther ...

Text filtering in a text field
Hi, am new to SKILL and would like to do some text checking and filtering for illegal characters in the text field. Meaning I have a text field in my form that is only to be with text, not any of the symbols (i.e. ~!@#$%^&* and so on). When the user input and saved the fields, those characters won't be allowed to be saved. What will be the best way to filter out only text? Only numbers? Terence <terrylau77@gmail.com> writes: > Hi, am new to SKILL and would like to do some text checking and > filtering for illegal characters in the text field. Meaning I have a > text f...

Search for text in a text field
Hi When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in many records and then diplay the records which contains the input. Thanks in advance, Luke. There is a function called InStr that will probably do what you require. Cheers, Chris "Luke Jones" <luke_jones_82@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:24bb1508.0407080157.d587c63@posting.google.com... > Hi > > When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input > and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in many > records and then diplay the records which contains the input. > > Thanks in advance, > > Luke. ...

Text box in access report not displaying currency format
I have created a report in access. I had to add a text box to input a value for previous months balance. I have formatted to display with $ currency, and also with the " , " for thousand separator. I have not been able to get it to display correctly. It is just the numbers without the formatting. Please help !!! *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! Sounds like you tried a custom format (for the text box) that's not working. Access has a currency format that you can select in the control properties. Is the control source for your textbox a number field? If not, you'll be much better off changing the bound field to a number type. -Ed "Scott Gorman" <sgor1@comcast.net> wrote in message news:41fc319b$1_2@127.0.0.1... >I have created a report in access. I had to add a text box to input a > value for previous months balance. I have formatted to display with $ > currency, and also with the " , " for thousand separator. > I have not been able to get it to display correctly. It is just the > numbers without the formatting. > Please help !!! > > > > *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** > Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! Did you put the format into the report's TextBox, itself? -- MichKa [MS] NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Technical Lead Globalization Infrastr...

How to import a tab delimited text file into MS Access database
Hi, I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. I have a tab delimited text file that needs to be imported into a MS Access table. The table is created and the table structure is defined using DAO methods. So now I have to fill this table with the data in the text files. For a few rows in the text file, the number of columns could be less than the number of columns in the table. Can anyone please post me the code to do this. Thanks a ton in advance. Pradeep wrote: > I have the following task to be done in VC++ 6.0. We'd be happy to give you the VBA code, but do you really want to throw away your C++ and use Microsoft Access for the job? If you want to keep C++, you can ask for C++ code in another newsgroup, because we'd just be guessing. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

MS-Access 2007. Report. Text box format problem
Hi, I am new to MS-Access. I have created a very simple report in MS-Access based on an imported Excel spreadsheet. The individual costs are held in field "Item Cost". Each instance of the field is displayed on the report and the field has NO Format property associated. On the report the field displays with a currency symbol and two decimal places - which is what I want. I guess the currency format of the field is being picked up from the original Excel spreadsheet. I have in the report footer the total of "Item Cost" which is calculated by =Sum([Item Cost]). This calculation gives the correct value for the sum, but I cannot control the display format. In the report Design view this field =Sum([Item Cost]) has a property sheet which contains a format value of "Currency". However, on the generated report this value just displays as a standard decimal. How do I get the report to display =Sum([Item Cost]) with a leading currency symbol (UK Sterling in my case) and two decimal places? Thanks Clive "Clive" <clive_long@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:8678680d-5123-4263-98c2-cfbb739fd5bb@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I am new to MS-Access. > > I have created a very simple report in MS-Access based on an > imported Excel spreadsheet. > > The individual costs are held in field "Item Cost". Each instance of > the field is displayed on the report and the field has N...

MS Access
I've got a bound report with a query as the record source. I'm adding a total to the footer and have inserted a text box to display it. I'm attempting to set the control source of the text box to a different sum aggregate query using the expression builder. When I select the query and it's single field, single row field it inserts the following in the control source box for the text box. =[Qrydetsum_offtotal]![Office_total] I've tested the query ( Qrydetsum_offtotal ) independently and it runs and returns a single value each time for the calculated field, Office_total. But when the report runs it simply displays #error. As an alternative I've tried to load the result of the query into a variable and then reference the variable in the control source of the text box, but when I do that, nothing seems to happen. I'm sort of new to VBA, so if anyone has suggestions about how to do this or a simpler way, I'd appreciate the input. Thanks, Bob Bob: If you are looking up a single value then the DLookup function will probably work. There is also a DSum function when you need to calculate a sum from a table or query different from the record source. Information on both of these can be found in Access Help. -- David Lloyd MCSD .NET http://LemingtonConsulting.com This response is supplied "as is" without any representations or warranties. "Bob" <rmcintire@network-spectrum.com> wrote in message news:111768...

append of text from MS Access to binary datatype in SQL Server not displaying
Hello; Access 2000 We append an access table to a sql server table through a linked ODBC connection in access. The append succeeds. One of the fields in the access table is text. In the append to the sql server table it mates to a binary field (in access it reads OLE). The text data does not display in the app window that points to this field. (This app window is part of an ERP app). Any ideas or suggestions as what is going on? Why it won't display? Thanks Tony ...

Forcing a New Line in a Text Field in MS Access using VB
Heya! I feel I'm beating an old horse to death with this question but I can't get around the problem. I want to update a text field on a form with a string from a VB module. I need enter/linefeeds in the string. I've tried: Chr(10) & Chr(13) Chr(13) & Chr(10 vbnewline vbcrlf none of which seem to work. I've set the properties for the text box to [Enter Key Behavior] = 'New Line In Field' and [Can Grow] = 'yes'. At the moment, my code looks like this: celsql = celsql _ & "Program: " & encname _ & vbCrLf _ & vbCrLf _ & "Start Time: " & sttim _ & vbCrLf _ & "Participants: " & numpart _ & vbCrLf _ & "Confirmed by Curator: " & cbc _ & vbCrLf _ & "Client: " & clntnm _ & vbCrLf _ & "Contact: " & cntct _ & vbCrLf _ & vbCrLf Forms(frm)(bts) = celsql If I toss this string into a [MsgBox], it comes out fine. It's just something about the text field... I'm working in MSAccess 2007, but need it backwards compatible to 2003. I'd really appreciate any advice. Cheers, KG I've seen this type of problem before, but I typically just use a separate text box for each data field. Is there a par...

MS Qry and text field to date field
I am using MS Query to pull files (from IBM AS400) and put them in Excel. However, when I do this the dates are now text fields. The text/ Date field looks like this: 20070331 (YYYYMMDD) I would like the change this text to a date field so Excel will see it as a date. Can someone please help me? I have looked all over the place for a solution and I have found nothing. Also, if you know of a good place to get information on MS query please let me know. /Thanks! wwolford wrote: > I am using MS Query to pull files (from IBM AS400) and put them in > Excel. However, when I do this the dates are now text fields. The text/ > Date field looks like this: 20070331 (YYYYMMDD) > > > I would like the change this text to a date field so Excel will see > it as a date. > > Can someone please help me? I have looked all over the place for a > solution and I have found nothing. > > Also, if you know of a good place to get information on MS query > please let me know. > > /Thanks! > In Access you could use DateSerial. Ex: x ="20070331" ? dateserial(left(x,4),Mid(x,5,2),mid(x,7,2)) ...

Web resources about - Is there a way to display alternate text in a text box if field is empty - comp.databases.ms-access

Alternate bass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In music , alternate bass is a performance technique on many instruments where the bass alternates between two notes , most often the root and ...

Is Facebook Testing Alternate Desktop Page Like Ads?
Facebook appears to be testing a version of its desktop page like ads that more closely resembles mobile page like ads. continued… New Career ...

Facebook Adds Alternate Names to User Profiles
... names in multiple languages to clearly express their identity, Facebook has just turned on a new feature enabling users to display an “alternate ...

WFUV Public Radio & The Alternate Side on the App Store on iTunes
Get WFUV Public Radio & The Alternate Side on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

365 Days - Day 256/Alternate - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
"A really good detective never gets married." -Raymond Chandler- (Wasn't really sure which version I liked better, the color or the tighter cropped ...

Glenn Beck's Alternate History of the Statue of Liberty - YouTube
Glenn Beck rally: The Villages retirement community in Florida, November 21, 2009 Glenn Beck describes an alternative vision of the history of ...

Carbon tax: Most want it gone, but hate alternate
Tony Abbott's efforts to repeal Labor's carbon tax have the backing of voters, with a poll showing 57 per cent of people want it gone now.

J-rock band [ALEXANDROS] talk about sleeping habits and alternate lives
Ever wondered how J-rock stars sleep? Or where they'd be if they didn't have that record deal? Wonder no more. Youhei Kawakami and Hiroyuki Isobe ...

Paris smog: alternate driving days imposed to reduce pollution
[ SMH - Text-only index ] Paris smog: alternate driving days imposed to reduce pollution Date: March 17 2014 Rory Mulholland Paris: The French ...

10 alternate endings that would have completely changed popular movies
... and thought, "that's not how I expected that to end"? Well, every once in a while, it's not how the director saw the movie ending either. Alternate ...