key violations when there are no key violations

hello;
Access 2000.  I am appending an access table (1 record) to a sql
server table. I get the message that it can't append the records
because of a key violation. There are 2 primary keys on the sql server
table. The data I am appending is not a duplicate of what already
exists in the sql server table (the data is not the same as any of the
records).

Does anybody know what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Tony
0
Tony_E

Tony_E wrote:
> hello;
> Access 2000.  I am appending an access table (1 record) to a sql
> server table. I get the message that it can't append the records
> because of a key violation. There are 2 primary keys on the sql server
> table. The data I am appending is not a duplicate of what already
> exists in the sql server table (the data is not the same as any of the
> records).
>
> Does anybody know what could be causing this?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Point of order: a table can only have one primary key. That key might
consist of several columns, but it is still a single key. What can be
confusing is that your table can have one or more unique constraints or
indexes in addition to the primary key. For example, one might have a
primary key on an IDENTITY (autonumber) column in addition to a unique index
on the columns that comprise the table's "natural" key (there are
performance advantages to having a unique clustered index on a single
monotonically increasing column such as an IDENTITY column)

"Primary" is not the only type of key that can exist: there might also be
foreign keys (relationships) that are being violated by your insert.

0
Bob
3/28/2011 4:18:58 PM
On Mar 28, 12:18=A0pm, "Bob Barrows" <reb01...@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote:
> Tony_E wrote:
> > hello;
> > Access 2000. =A0I am appending an access table (1 record) to a sql
> > server table. I get the message that it can't append the records
> > because of a key violation. There are 2 primary keys on the sql server
> > table. The data I am appending is not a duplicate of what already
> > exists in the sql server table (the data is not the same as any of the
> > records).
>
> > Does anybody know what could be causing this?
>
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Point of order: a table can only have one primary key. That key might
> consist of several columns, but it is still a single key. What can be
> confusing is that your table can have one or more unique constraints or
> indexes in addition to the primary key. For example, one might have a
> primary key on an IDENTITY (autonumber) column in addition to a unique in=
dex
> on the columns that comprise the table's "natural" key (there are
> performance advantages to having a unique clustered index on a single
> monotonically increasing column such as an IDENTITY column)
>
> "Primary" is not the only type of key that can exist: there might also be
> foreign keys (relationships) that are being violated by your insert.

Thanks for the response. You were absolutely right, when I tried to
manually add a record to the sql server table, I received a message
ODBC --call failed--insert statement conflicted with COLUMN FOREIGN
KEY  constraint etc etc...dbname table name 'orders', column 'ID.'

What do I do now? What do I have to do to make the append work? I
assume the linked field in the relationship of the record (I am
appending) has to already have that value in a record in the sql
server table, I tried it in test and it did not work--same message.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Tony
0
Tony_E
3/28/2011 8:18:26 PM
Tony_E wrote:
> On Mar 28, 12:18 pm, "Bob Barrows" <reb01...@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote:
>> Tony_E wrote:
>>> hello;
>>> Access 2000. I am appending an access table (1 record) to a sql
>>> server table. I get the message that it can't append the records
>>> because of a key violation. There are 2 primary keys on the sql
>>> server table. The data I am appending is not a duplicate of what
>>> already exists in the sql server table (the data is not the same as
>>> any of the records).
>>
>>> Does anybody know what could be causing this?
>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Point of order: a table can only have one primary key. That key might
>> consist of several columns, but it is still a single key. What can be
>> confusing is that your table can have one or more unique constraints
>> or indexes in addition to the primary key. For example, one might
>> have a primary key on an IDENTITY (autonumber) column in addition to
>> a unique index on the columns that comprise the table's "natural"
>> key (there are performance advantages to having a unique clustered
>> index on a single monotonically increasing column such as an
>> IDENTITY column)
>>
>> "Primary" is not the only type of key that can exist: there might
>> also be foreign keys (relationships) that are being violated by your
>> insert.
>
> Thanks for the response. You were absolutely right, when I tried to
> manually add a record to the sql server table, I received a message
> ODBC --call failed--insert statement conflicted with COLUMN FOREIGN
> KEY  constraint etc etc...dbname table name 'orders', column 'ID.'
>
> What do I do now? What do I have to do to make the append work?
It sounds as if you need to add a record to the related table with the ID of
the record you are adding to the first table ...it's hard to discuss these
tables in the abstract. In other words, there is a relationship (foreign
key) between a "master" table and a "child" table, so a "master" record has
to be in the "master" table before the "child" record can be added into the
"child" table.

> I assume the linked field in the relationship of the record (I am
> appending) has to already have that value in a record in the sql
> server table, I tried it in test and it did not work--same message.

You tried to insert a record into the master table and received exactly the
same message? That means the master table has its own master, I guess. Is
there a dba for that sql server who you can ask for advice? Or  the designer
of the database at least? Again, it's hard to discuss this in the abstract.
I would need to see at least the ddl (data definition language -
http://www.karaszi.com/SQLServer/info_generate_script.asp) scripts for the
tables involved to get more specific.

0
Bob
3/28/2011 8:48:24 PM
On Mar 28, 4:48=A0pm, "Bob Barrows" <reb01...@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote:
> Tony_E wrote:

> >> Point of order: a table can only have one primary key. That key might
> >> consist of several columns, but it is still a single key. What can be
> >> confusing is that your table can have one or more unique constraints
> >> or indexes in addition to the primary key. For example, one might
> >> have a primary key on an IDENTITY (autonumber) column in addition to
> >> a unique index on the columns that comprise the table's "natural"
> >> key (there are performance advantages to having a unique clustered
> >> index on a single monotonically increasing column such as an
> >> IDENTITY column)
>
> >> "Primary" is not the only type of key that can exist: there might
> >> also be foreign keys (relationships) that are being violated by your
> >> insert.
>
> > Thanks for the response. You were absolutely right, when I tried to
> > manually add a record to the sql server table, I received a message
> > ODBC --call failed--insert statement conflicted with COLUMN FOREIGN
> > KEY =A0constraint etc etc...dbname table name 'orders', column 'ID.'
>
> > What do I do now? What do I have to do to make the append work?
>
> It sounds as if you need to add a record to the related table with the ID=
 of
> the record you are adding to the first table ...it's hard to discuss thes=
> tables in the abstract. In other words, there is a relationship (foreign
> key) between a "master" table and a "child" table, so a "master" record h=
as
> to be in the "master" table before the "child" record can be added into t=
he
> "child" table.
>
> > I assume the linked field in the relationship of the record (I am
> > appending) has to already have that value in a record in the sql
> > server table, I tried it in test and it did not work--same message.
>
> You tried to insert a record into the master table and received exactly t=
he
> same message? That means the master table has its own master, I guess. Is
> there a dba for that sql server who you can ask for advice? Or =A0the des=
igner
> of the database at least? Again, it's hard to discuss this in the abstrac=
t.
> I would need to see at least the ddl (data definition language -http://ww=
w.karaszi.com/SQLServer/info_generate_script.asp) scripts for the
> tables involved to get more specific.- Hide quoted text -

Hello;
I made a mistake in my previous explanation--what I meant was that I
checked the master table, examined a certain record, and attempted to
add record to the child table-using the value that already exists in
the master table. I got the same message.
On Mar 29, 8:21=A0am, Tony_E <bluestealt...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 28, 4:48=A0pm, "Bob Barrows" <reb01...@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote:
>

> > Tony_E wrote:

> > > Thanks for the response. You were absolutely right, when I tried to
> > > manually add a record to the sql server table, I received a message
> > > ODBC --call failed--insert statement conflicted with COLUMN FOREIGN
> > > KEY =A0constraint etc etc...dbname table name 'orders', column 'ID.'
>
> > > What do I do now? What do I have to do to make the append work?
>
> > It sounds as if you need to add a record to the related table with the =
ID of
> > the record you are adding to the first table ...it's hard to discuss th=
ese
> > tables in the abstract. In other words, there is a relationship (foreig=
> > key) between a "master" table and a "child" table, so a "master" record=
 has
> > to be in the "master" table before the "child" record can be added into=
 the
> > "child" table.
>
> > > I assume the linked field in the relationship of the record (I am
> > > appending) has to already have that value in a record in the sql
> > > server table, I tried it in test and it did not work--same message.
>
> > You tried to insert a record into the master table and received exactly=
 the
> > same message? That means the master table has its own master, I guess. =
Is
> > there a dba for that sql server who you can ask for advice? Or =A0the d=
esigner
> > of the database at least? Again, it's hard to discuss this in the abstr=
act.
> > I would need to see at least the ddl (data definition language -http://=
www.karaszi.com/SQLServer/info_generate_script.asp) scripts for the
> > tables involved to get more specific.- Hide quoted text -

> Hello;
> I made a mistake in my previous explanation--what I meant was that I
> checked the master table, examined a certain record, and attempted to
> add record to the child table-using the value that already exists in
> the master table. I got the same message.- Hide quoted text -

Ok, I got passed that primary key foreign key obstacle--these tables
have a one to one relationship -- I have to add a record to the parent
table before adding a record to the child table.  So when I attempted
to add a record to the parent table I received a Failure message
referencing a TRIGGER. "Insert in linked table "CUSTOMER_ORDER"
failed.  Error in trigger INSERT_CUSTOMER_ORDER.  Is there anything I
can do now to insert to this table?
Tony_E wrote:
> On Mar 29, 8:21 am, Tony_E <bluestealt...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello;
>> I made a mistake in my previous explanation--what I meant was that I
>> checked the master table, examined a certain record, and attempted to
>> add record to the child table-using the value that already exists in
>> the master table. I got the same message.- Hide quoted text -

> Ok, I got passed that primary key foreign key obstacle--these tables
> have a one to one relationship -- I have to add a record to the parent
> table before adding a record to the child table.  So when I attempted
> to add a record to the parent table I received a Failure message
> referencing a TRIGGER. "Insert in linked table "CUSTOMER_ORDER"
> failed.  Error in trigger INSERT_CUSTOMER_ORDER.  Is there anything I
> can do now to insert to this table?

Ask the database designer or dba? I hesitate to suggest disabling the
trigger without knowing what business rule it is enforcing.

0
reb015013453 (227)
3/29/2011 12:52:28 PM
On Mar 29, 8:52=A0am, "Bob Barrows" <reb01...@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote:
> Tony_E wrote:
> > On Mar 29, 8:21 am, Tony_E <bluestealt...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hello;
> >> I made a mistake in my previous explanation--what I meant was that I
> >> checked the master table, examined a certain record, and attempted to
> >> add record to the child table-using the value that already exists in
> >> the master table. I got the same message.- Hide quoted text -

> > Ok, I got passed that primary key foreign key obstacle--these tables
> > have a one to one relationship -- I have to add a record to the parent
> > table before adding a record to the child table. =A0So when I attempted
> > to add a record to the parent table I received a Failure message
> > referencing a TRIGGER. "Insert in linked table "CUSTOMER_ORDER"
> > failed. =A0Error in trigger INSERT_CUSTOMER_ORDER. =A0Is there anything=
> > can do now to insert to this table?
>
> Ask the database designer or dba? I hesitate to suggest disabling the
> trigger without knowing what business rule it is enforcing.- Hide quoted =
text -

Yes I think when the append functionality is run, the trigger will
have to be disabled. In one of my other posts you indicated that to
disable I would have to use a passthrough query or VBA and ADO. Could
you give me a sample of how to do it in a passthrough?
Tony_E wrote:
> On Mar 29, 8:52 am, "Bob Barrows" <reb01...@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote:
>> Tony_E wrote:

>>> Ok, I got passed that primary key foreign key obstacle--these tables
>>> have a one to one relationship -- I have to add a record to the
>>> parent table before adding a record to the child table. So when I
>>> attempted to add a record to the parent table I received a Failure
>>> message referencing a TRIGGER. "Insert in linked table
>>> "CUSTOMER_ORDER" failed. Error in trigger INSERT_CUSTOMER_ORDER. Is
>>> there anything I can do now to insert to this table?
>>
>> Ask the database designer or dba? I hesitate to suggest disabling the
>> trigger without knowing what business rule it is enforcing
>
> Yes I think when the append functionality is run, the trigger will
> have to be disabled. In one of my other posts you indicated that to
> disable I would have to use a passthrough query or VBA and ADO. Could
> you give me a sample of how to do it in a passthrough?

It's not hard to find via google so OK ... I'm just very hesitant here - do
you have any idea what that trigger is actually doing and what the
consequences of bypassing its functionality will be? Before going down this
road you should at least figure that out - you haven't provided the version
of your sql server so it's hard to get into specifics here. Run this search
to find out how to display the text of the trigger so you can see what it's
for:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=SQL+Server+trigger+text

Then, after you are satisfied that disabling the trigger is safe, run this
search to see how to do it in your version of sql server:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=active&q=SQL+Server+trigger+disable&aq=f&aqi=g1g-j1g-b3&aql=&oq=

If you do disable it, you should consider performing its functionality
yourself just to make sure whatever rules it is enforcing are not violated.

0
reb015013453 (227)

Set Key results in a Key Violation
When I use set key on a table I get a key violation. The table is used for as a lookup. There is only one field. Normaly I lookup the information I need as the report is running, but sometime I need the user to confirm the lookup inforamtion. I display a small form with a db combo box that links to the lookup table and has each key value in the items property. Prior to the exception, I have had the user choose (confirm) the next lookup item from the DB Combo box. The next time I go to lookup the information I need, the set key comand results in a Key Violation. Normaly the ro...

Key down and Key up with A-Z keys
Shift has a key down and a key upstate(as do mouse buttons and many other things). How do I use the keydown and keyup events on a character key like a? I am trying to do the following: set aKeyDown -do something- set aKeyUp Thankyou for your time. anon wrote: > Shift has a key down and a key upstate(as do mouse buttons and many other > things). > How do I use the keydown and keyup events on a character key like a? > > I am trying to do the following: > set aKeyDown > -do something- > set aKeyUp Your form or control will be notified of key ev...

When is a key not a key?
Hi, I hesitate to write because some of my code here is pretty evil, but this problem is weirding me out a bit. I have a hash (loan_shark) indexed by instances of a particular struct (Player). The hash seems to be failing to find its keys when I try to look them up. Like this: loan_shark.size #=> 4 loan_shark.has_key?(loan_shark.keys[0]) #=> false Any ideas? The background is something like this: Player = Struct.new(:name, :bankroll, :hands) .... loan_shark = {} .... newb = Player.new("Fred", some_dollars) .... loan_shark[newb] = some_dollars .... ...

Access .adp :How to INSERT all but KEY violations
I am trying to append records from one table to another in a db running on MSDE, knowing fullwell that some of the data in the source will be duplicates of that in the destination table's pk. What I would like to happen is to have the stored procedure plunk in all records that don't violate the constraint and silently let the duplicate info fall by the wayside. The trouble is SQL server seems to abort the whole procedure if even a single record violates the constraint. In a regular Access mdb, an INSERT statement (append query) would do just that. Of course it warns you of the violation but a DoCmd.SetWarnings FALSE takes care of that. Any ideas as to what I need to do to achieve that same thing? For example: INSERT INTO TargetTable (key_col, col1, col2, ...) SELECT S.key_col, S.col1, S.col2, ... FROM SourceTable AS S LEFT JOIN TargetTable AS T ON S.key_col = T.key_col WHERE T.key_col IS NULL (where key_col is the primary key). -- David Portas SQL Server MVP -- ...

key violations during append query
I'm using access 2003. The following code updates tblMoveItem. It only has 3 fields: ID (Autonumber) ItemID (Integer) MovementID (Integer) It has a many to one relationship with tblItems via the ItemID field (autonumber). It also has a many to one relationship with tblMovement via the MovementID field (autonumber). I have force integrity selected on both relationships. Dim mysql As String Dim iItem As Integer Dim iMovement As Integer iItem = DLookup("ItemID", "tblItems", "barcode = '" & Me.ItemBarcode &am...

Importing excel into Access: Reports primary key violation when there is not!
Hello! I am writing VBA code in Access 97 to import an Excel 2000 Spreadsheet. I had hoped to do this using ODBC, but that was not to be, for who knows what reason. The problem is that I import the excel file into a table in Access that I name X. Then I run an append query to import the data into another table. I get an error message that says it "can't append all the records" due to "validation rule violations" There ARE NO validation rules! If I copy and paste these rows manully, Access accepts it with no errors. The rows in the excel file look perfectly okay. An...

Access Violation by fox toolkit in FXObject::MetaClass::search(FXSelector key)
Well I've been sat here for hours twiddling with this code and it's time to scream for help. Hi there I'm a Student at Sheffield University programming the mapping section of a control system for a flight simulator. In order to do the graphical part required for the map we have an fox declared window with an OpenGL canvas in it (loosely based on the glviewer example which you get with the Fox toolkit download). Things have been going hunky-dory so far but now im stuck with this problem: When I inluded my most recent bit of code which loads Bitmaps into OpenGL and declares them as ...

My database hurts "ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint"
(Please CC me on any replies as I'm not on the list) Hi, After a recent power failure, a program that uses a pgsql backend (netdisco) started to send me nastygrams. I tried the author's suggestion of running a VACUUM FULL ANALYZE VERBOSE;, but it still sends me the messages. The data in the database isn't too important, i.e. I'm willing to blow away data to try to fix the problem. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help and thanks on behalf of my whole department for postgresql. Mike ----- Forwarded message from Max Baker <max@warped.org> ----- Dat...

[tao-users] Problem (access violation) with ORB initialization when using SSIOP and when private key or certificate file is missing
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C90F27.495A35F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable TAO VERSION: 1.6.5 ACE VERSION: 5.6.5 =20 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @2.13Ghz 0.97GB of RAM, Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2 If on Windows based OS's, which version of WINSOCK do you use? :3.10.0.103 =20 COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 =20 Installed Edition: Professional =20 =20 AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: [What example failed? What module failed to compile?] TAO_vc9.vcproj (TAO.dll, TAOd.dll) =20 DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: EXECUTION? Access violation in TAO.dll while ORB initiating. =20 SYNOPSIS: Problem (access violation) with ORB initialization when using SSIOP and when private key or certificate file is missing =20 DESCRIPTION: I have my client and server rewritten now to use SSLIOP secure protocol to communicate each other instead via IIOP. Everything works fine, but I have a problem in one particular case which I would like not to happen ie. in some cases server or client crashes due to access violation during ORB initialization in the case I will try to describe. As you know it is really ugly an unprofessional to see an...

Key violation error..
Hi, there... I wonder if you could help me with this problem... The code below makes a exception. It's message is '..EOleException with message... key violation error...' My functions have a 'try ~ exception' statement, but it doesn't work. I'm using oracle9i, delphi 6... Thanks in advance.... Here's sample codes. procedure TfrmMain.Test; begin if Not FDBInsert() then begin if Not FDBUpdate() then begin ShowMessage('Error inserting records.'); end; end; end; function TfrmMain.FDBInsert: Boolean; var sIQuery, sInsertSQL: String; ...

Key Violation Table -Where is it?
I've imported and converted an 11-column Excel worksheet into an Access 2003 db as its own table (tbl_XLS) with a single PK field. As a result of using an Append Query to add the 1753 records of tbl_XLS to a similarly structured table (tbl_ACC) of 4890 records, I received notice of 264 records not being appended due to "key violations'. Of the 12 fields in it, 'tbl_ACC' has an AutoNumber PK field and one indexed field matching the design of tbl_XLS's PK field. Though frustrating, I don't mind receiving the error message as much as not receiving a "tbl_Key Violation' after clicking the"Yes-Proceed with the Append Operation" button. I recall from using Paradox in the early 90's, it would create a 'Key Violation' table - I wonder why Access doesn't- it creates an Import Error table, a KV table couldn't be that much more difficult to produce. I thought about clearing the indexes and PKs in both tables and then running a 'Duplicates Query' to find the 264 culprits, but that seems a 'clumsy'.way to do it. I also thought the fact that tbl_XLS did not have an AutoNumber field may be the problem, but with 1489 records being appended, that could not be the case either. After searching the NG Forum with no answer, my question is if anyone has found a way to produce a KV Table they would be willing to share or some other way to find the 'offending KV records? Thx for any help... E...

testing for Key Violation
Hello. I have a small db that downloads a txt file then transfers it into the database. I have built a composite key in the import table from dteDate, dteTime, and txtFROM Once I process the messages etc. I set them as 'Done' using a Yes/No field so that they don't get processed again next time. The problem is that next time I download I get all the old messages again, plus any new. This then results in an error about Key Violations....0 records added dull to null....12 not added due to Key violations....press yes to contine, no to stop. Which at the moment I just hit YES..sinc...

INSERT INTO key violation
Hello, I am having difficulty creating an insert into statement. I want to add a new record to a separate table. Table: IntServ Field: ID (Primary key, autonumber) Field: IntID (text) Field: ServID (integer) This is what I have so far. Each time I try it, there seems to be a key violation. For Each varItm In Services.ItemsSelected Servnum = Services.Column(0, varItm) DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO IntServ (IntID, ServID)" & _ "VALUES ('" & Intnum & "','" & Servnum & " '...

Re: [tao-users] Problem (access violation) with ORB initialization whenusing SSIOP and when private key or certificate file is missing
Hi, Thanks for using the PRF form. You shouldn't get a crash in any case. = Can you have a look at our regression tests and see if you can extend one to reproduce this issue and then put it in bugzilla? Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 - 2650 AC=A0 Berkel en Rodenrijs Melkrijder 11 - 3861 SG Nijkerk The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl=A0 *** Integrated compile and test statistics see http://scoreboard.theaceorb.nl *** *** Commercial service and support for = ACE/TAO/CIAO=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 *** *** Get your free TAO Programmers Guide copy from http://www.theaceorb.nl=A0***=20 "Rajkovic, Ivan" <ivan.rajkovic@roche.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.617.1220610152.3702.tao-users@list.isis.vanderbilt.edu>... TAO VERSION: 1.6.5 ACE VERSION: 5.6.5 =20 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @2.13Ghz 0.97GB of RAM, Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2 If on Windows based OS's, which version of WINSOCK do you use? :3.10.0.103 =20 COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 =20 Installed Edition: Professional =20 =20 AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: [What example failed? What module failed to compile?] TAO_vc9.vcproj (TAO.dll, TAOd.dll) =20 DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: EXECUTION...

Violation of primary key
Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_CUSTOM2'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'MHGROUP.Custom2' Is there ANY other reason this violation of the primary key would happen OTHER than a trying to insert a duplicate record? This sql statement false due to the primary key violation: Insert Into MHGROUP.Custom2 Select ClientNumber, MatterNumber, MatterDescription, 'Y' From MG_EliteMatters EM Left Outer Join MHGROUP.Custom2 C2 On C2.CPARENT_ALIAS = EM.ClientNumber And C2.Custom_ALIAS = EM.MatterNumber Where CPARENT_ALIAS Is Null And Custom_ALIAS Is Null ---Custom2...

What are the differences between the terms, CANDIDATE KEY, PRIMARY KEY, SUPER KEY, COMPOSITE KEY?
Hi, Can anybody tell me the differences between the above mentioned terms? Also please tell me if one can be the other and vice versa..please elaborate with the helpof a table if possible. Also please tellme if the below statement by me is correct.. a) Any attribute or a collection of attributes which uniquely identifies the tuples in a relation is called a canditate key.this candidate key thus can contain a single attribute or a collection of attributes. b) one of the attributes is chosen by the DBMS to identify the tuples uniquely and this attribute is called the primary key. c) A primarykey is a candidate key.all candidate keys cannot be a primary key. Now,,,what is the superkey? >> A primarykey is a candidate key.all candidate keys cannot be a primary >> key. Now,,,what is the superkey? http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.ms-sqlserver/msg/b156494b68634ee7 -- Anith A superkey is a set of attributes which uniquely identifies a tuple in a relation. A candidate key is an irreducible set of attributes which uniquely identifies a tuple in a relation. A composite key is a candidate key that has more than one attribute. The primary key is a candidate key. Any candidate key can be the primary key, but usually the candidate key that participates in referential constraints is designated as the primary key. (a) is imprecise. A collection is different from a set: it's a multiset. Also, a candidate key...

MS ACCess Key Words
Hi, Could anybody send me or post in the newsgroup the whole list of keywords used in MS Access.? thank you, Den. ...

key
Hello, is there in python a kind of dictionary that supports key - key pairs? I need a dictionary in which I can access a certain element using two different keys, both unique. For example: I've a dictionary with strings and times. Sometimes I have the string and I want to have the time, other time I've the time and I want the string. It is important that one of the keys supports the min/max builtin function. Thanks, Florian Florian Lindner wrote: > Hello, > is there in python a kind of dictionary that supports key - key pairs? > I need a dictionary in which I can access ...

Set(Key,Key)
Hi, I'm using Clarion 6.2 build 9047 and i have a problem with a bit of code. I've got a Simple loop processing some records. Before the loop I Use the set command to setup the key and where its going to start looking at the records Sample code Phi:number=emp:number set(PHI:PAYNO,PHI:PAYNO) next(phistory) loop Process records Next(phistory) If errorcode() then break. end Right this works the first Time you run the code. But the second time it dosent point to the Same place It misses the first record and starts at the next key value ! ie phi:no ph...

for LACP, what is management key ,operation key and admin key?
How do these keys generated? and what is purpose for these key? management key=admin key? what I think is that it is important when connect to difference vendor. anyone can expain it? TIA. st ...

Unknown primary keys and foreign keys ina database
I would like to connect to a database and determine, on the fly, what columns are the foreign and primary keys for each table.&nbsp; Is there any way to do this using the LabView Database connectivity toolkit or a SQL query? Thank you! Brad Found it, thanks!&nbsp; For future reference (for anyone who might search for this topic) Go to: Tools -&gt; Options -&gt; View and check "system" and "hidden" objects to explore the structure of these tables.&nbsp; It's not recommended to edit them directly for obvious reasons, but will at least give an idea...

autonumber key violation on insert
Hi again. I'm running Access 97 and in code, using docmd.runsql, I insert new rows into a table. The destination table's key field is an autonumber. 99% of the time the code works fine but sometimes it won't add the record/s due to a key violation. Is this a known bug in Access, is there some workaround? Thanks Oliver On 16 Jun 2005 05:22:13 -0700, oraustin@hotmail.com wrote: Check all unique indexes on that table (design view > View > Indexes). The data to be inserted must be violating one of them. You can write a query to find the record(s). -Tom. >Hi again. &g...

Access Project
I have a created a SQL Database with a table called Tbl_Customer which includes lots of Rows of customer information. The primary Key is CustID which is an Identity (Auto Number) I want to be able to create a new table called Tbl_Address which has CustID as a foreign Key and I want to be able to add between 1 and 4 addresses (different types such as home, term time etc). Eventually I want to be able to create a form so you can view the customer details, and skip through the addresses in a sub form. My problem is that as soon as I set the relationship as 1 to many, I can no longer add any a...

Linking an Oracle table to MS Access via ODBC: Access assigns wrong primary key to linked table
Hello, I'm using Access to link to tables of a calculation tool that's been built = on a Oracle back end. I recently updated that tool, and now it seems something has been changed i= n Oracle that causes Access to automatically assign the wrong primary keys = to certain tables. This happens when I update the tables using the connecti= vity wizard or when re-linking the tables. Is there a way to prevent Acces to automatically put keys to the Oracle tab= les I'm trying to link using ODBC? If I'm linking MySQL tables the ODBC con= nection wizard of Access always asks ...

Web resources about - key violations when there are no key violations - comp.databases.ms-access

CP violation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In particle physics , CP violation is a violation of the postulated CP-symmetry : the combination of C-symmetry ( charge conjugation symmetry) ...

James-O'Keefe-Parole-Violations - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
James O'Keefe, liar and scam artist, has been spotted in NYC in violation of his parole in Lousiana.

Civil Rights Violation on Video Pledge and Invocation - YouTube
Civil Rights Violation on Video Pledge and Invocation - YouTube

Gul defies Erdogan’s Twitter ban and calls move ‘violation of rights’
The content of Abdullah Gul’s message – and the way it was delivered – is a message to Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s religiously conservative government, ...

Russia closes 12 McDonald's restaurants over hygiene violations
Russia has temporarily closed 12 branches of McDonald's on health grounds and is carrying out more than 100 inspections, the US fast food chain ...

NATO doubts Russia over Turkish airspace violations, says ground troops in Syria
NATO's secretary-general says he doubts Moscow's explanation for violations of Turkish air space amid signs of a troop-build-up in the region. ...

Report alleges labour violations at Apple supplier in China
Report claims dangerous conditions, labour violations at another Apple plant.

American Airlines facing record fines over safety violations
American Airlines facing record fines over safety violations

Nick Kyrgios issued code violation at Japan Open - The Courier-Mail Search Search
NICK Kyrgios has hit out at the Australian media following his loss to Frenchman Benoit Paire at the Japan Open on the weekend.