Listbox Positioning

I want a listbox to position to a letter provided by the user.
Normally, when the user keys a letter, the listbox positions
automatically to the first entry starting with that letter in the
first column.

I want to allow the user to select the column to be searched.

For eaxample, assume a list box that looks like this:

____________________________
| Title    |  Author        |
|----------|----------------|
| Oklahoma | Hammerstein, O |
| Hamlet   | Shakespeare, W |
           .
           .

Now, assume the listbox is sorted on the second column (Author), but
the column sequence stays as is.  If the user keys a "S", I want the
list to position on the second entry.
0
mike.top (1)

Mike,

No can do, using the default listbox behavior.  Focus will always move to
the matching value in the 1st column.

You might be able to code something in the KeyPress event to move to the
entry in the 2nd column (I've never tried it).

Or you could create a combo box that lets the user choose from a predefined
list of sorting options, and update the listbox rowsource with a new
rowsource, ie:

control: comboBox
columns: 1
RowsourceType: ValueList
RowSource: Title then Author; Author then Title; Year then Title then Author

In the AfterUpdate event of the combobox, add code like this:

if me.comboBox = "Title then Author" then me.listBox.Rowsource = "SELECT
Title, Author FROM Tables ORDER BY Title, Author;"

elseif me.comboBox = "Author then Title" then me.listBox.Rowsource = "SELECT
Author, Title FROM Tables ORDER BY Author, Title;"

elseif me.comboBox = "Year then Title then Author" then me.listBox.Rowsource
= "SELECT PublicationYear, Title, Author FROM Tables ORDER BY
PublicationYear, Title, Author;"
endif

You'll have to futz around with column counts, widths, etc.

In the end, you'll probably be better off creating separate combo or list
boxes for each field you want to search.

"Mike Top" <mike.top@rogers.com> wrote in message
> I want a listbox to position to a letter provided by the user.
> Normally, when the user keys a letter, the listbox positions
> automatically to the first entry starting with that letter in the
> first column.
>
> I want to allow the user to select the column to be searched.
>
> For eaxample, assume a list box that looks like this:
>
> ____________________________
> | Title    |  Author        |
> |----------|----------------|
> | Oklahoma | Hammerstein, O |
> | Hamlet   | Shakespeare, W |
>            .
>            .
>
> Now, assume the listbox is sorted on the second column (Author), but
> the column sequence stays as is.  If the user keys a "S", I want the
> list to position on the second entry.

0
nospam21 (19047)
1/6/2004 4:55:17 AM
On 5 Jan 2004 19:39:11 -0800, mike.top@rogers.com (Mike Top) wrote:

You "position a listbox" by setting the Value property.
I did this test by creating a new form in the Northwind sample
application. I set the Rowsource to:
SELECT [Employees].[EmployeeID], [Employees].[FirstName],
[Employees].[LastName] FROM Employees ORDER BY [LastName];
and the ColumnWidths to:
0";1";1"
Then it's just a matter of finding out which value to select:
Private Sub List0_KeyDown(KeyCode As Integer, Shift As Integer)
    List0.Value = DLookup("EmployeeID", "Employees", "LastName LIKE '"
& Chr$(KeyCode) & "*'")
    KeyCode = 0     ' Cancel the event (otherwise a FirstName would be
selected)
End Sub

Note that it would have been better if in the KeyDown event I had used
the exact same sql statement as RowSource is using. I leave that for
you to implement.

-Tom.

>I want a listbox to position to a letter provided by the user.
>Normally, when the user keys a letter, the listbox positions
>automatically to the first entry starting with that letter in the
>first column.
>
>I want to allow the user to select the column to be searched.
>
>For eaxample, assume a list box that looks like this:
>
>____________________________
>| Title    |  Author        |
>|----------|----------------|
>| Oklahoma | Hammerstein, O |
>| Hamlet   | Shakespeare, W |
>           .
>           .
>
>Now, assume the listbox is sorted on the second column (Author), but
>the column sequence stays as is.  If the user keys a "S", I want the
>list to position on the second entry.

0
tom7744 (598)
1/6/2004 5:01:05 AM
Hi, Mike:

You can add an option box with radio buttons, the options being sort by title
or sort by author; then the afterupdate of the option box changes the rowsource
of the listbox.  Pretty simple to execute and gives the user the option to
search on either field.

HTH

Jan

>I want a listbox to position to a letter provided by the user.
>Normally, when the user keys a letter, the listbox positions
>automatically to the first entry starting with that letter in the
>first column.
>
>I want to allow the user to select the column to be searched.
>
>For eaxample, assume a list box that looks like this:
>
>____________________________
>| Title    |  Author        |
>|----------|----------------|
>| Oklahoma | Hammerstein, O |
>| Hamlet   | Shakespeare, W |
>           .
>           .
>
>Now, assume the listbox is sorted on the second column (Author), but
>the column sequence stays as is.  If the user keys a "S", I want the
>list to position on the second entry.

Jan Stempel
Stempel Consulting
0
janross (37)

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); ----------------------------------- The error message I got is: "Unknown connection option in connection string: driver." for str_1 and " Unknown connection option in connection string: provider." for str_2 So I am wondering, where is the problem? Is it because my connection string for MS Access is specified wrongly? Or is it because I cannot use SqlHelper to access the MS Access database? ( I have used SqlHelper class to access the MS SQL server, and it works) Your help will be greatly appreciated. James James wrote: > Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine > in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. > > But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application > Blocks to access the database. > > I have tried 2 possible connection strings. > > ----------------------------------------- > ...

Wanted
I am wanting to be able to write reports against an ms-access database that is part of another package. I only want to report from the database. What I need is a package that will allow me to create the reports and then be able to distribute a run-time version. The client may not have Office so the package must run standalone. It could get to the Access database through an ODBC driver. Does anyone know what packages available? It looks like Crystal Reports has taken out their runtime version with their latest software but that was only a footnote in a book that I was reading. Please provide me with a list to start researching. Thanks, Joe There used to be other third-party report writers, but I don't know how many have survived over the years -- Crystal Reports appears to have been the most popular of these packages. (It is the only one that I have observed closely in use, and I saw some impressive work done with it on web applications against SQL Server.) Unless the magnitude of the distributable would be a problem, you can create your reports in Access, and distribute the Access application to run them with Access' runtime support. You'll get the Access runtime support in the Office Developer Edition for Access 97 - 2002, and in the Visual Studio.NET Tools for Office 2003 System for Access 2003. If you have difficulties with deployment using only the Packaging and Distribution Wizard, you can use a third-party installer such as Wise InstallMaster or Instal...

MS Access Script to import data from external mde database to mdb database
Hi, Does anyone know of a way I can write a script that imports a table from a particular .mde file? I don't seen any obvious way to do it as a macro. Any suggestions if it can be done as a macro or as a written module? My ultimate goal is to have script that clears info out of 1 table in an .mdb file, imports an identically structured table from a .mde file, runs an append query I have in place to copy the data from the imported table to the table in my.mbd file, and then delete the imported table. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes, George Hadley ghadley_00@yahoo.com With DBEngine(0)(0) .Execute "DELETE * FROM Suppliers WHERE SupplierID IN (SELECT SupplierID FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers)" .Execute "INSERT INTO Suppliers SELECT * FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers" End With Is this code I would run as a module? Yes or you could use the strings in two separate saved queries. ...

databases.ms-access
hi for fun masti, fashion, articles,mobiles, cars etc plz visit these sites http://www.familypk.com http://www.enttwist.com thanks ...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

Web resources about - Listbox Positioning - comp.databases.ms-access

GNSS positioning calculation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The global navigation satellite system (GNSS) positioning for receiver's position is derived through the calculation steps, or algorithm, given ...

How Facebook Is Positioning Its Upcoming Video Ads Vs. Television, YouTube
Facebook appears to have embraced the strategy of keeping its friends close and its enemies closer when it comes to television , rolling out ...

Facebook Positioning Its Ad Products in 3 Classes
Forrester’s Jeremiah Owyang recently caught up with Facebook’s Director of Monetization Tim Kendall, who spoke about the different ways Facebook ...

How an atomic clocks works, and its use in the global positioning system (GPS) - YouTube
Bill shows the world's smallest atomic clock and then describes how the first one made in the 1950s worked. He describes in detail the use of ...

Positioning for a recession? Short the banks
Kima Capital portfolio manager Alex Wallis says Australia is headed into recession, prompting his hedge fund to build short positions in the ...

Value Investor: Positioning for the next mining upturn
Sound acquisitions, combined with an eventual recovery in mining, could trigger a rebound in long-term profitability for this cyclical stock. ...

$A sinks near 1pc on RBA, Fed, ECB positioning
The Australian dollar led a pullback in major currencies versus the greenback, ending down 0.9 per cent in New York on Friday.

need2know: Positioning for a sell-off
Local stocks are poised to open lower as they catch up to Friday’s selling on Wall Street.

Natalegawa positioning for future
Sydney Morning Herald Natalegawa positioning for future The Australian INDONESIAN Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa is engaged in a drawn-out ...

Russia positioning tanks at Syria airfield, US officials say
NBCNews.com Russia positioning tanks at Syria airfield, US officials say ABC Online Russia has positioned about a half dozen tanks at an airfield ...