Loads of errors when querying MS SQL Server Express 2005 from Access 2007

Hi,

I wonder if you could help - I have an SQL server database with four
tables...

I have a 'tblContact':
ContactID,FirstName,LastName
101,Peter,Smith
102,John,Crow
103,Ed,Bye
104,Stuart,Jones

I have a =91tblClient=92:
ClientID,CompanyName
201,XYZCom
202,ABCCom

I have a =91bltClientContactLinkTable=92:
ContactID,ClientID, PositionID
101,201,301
102,201, 301
103,202, 302
104,202,302

And fiinally a tblPosition:
PositionID,Description
301,Manager
302,Director

The query below (when run through a Query Analyser connected diretly
to the SQL server) displays the first and last name of all contacts
along with the company they work for and the position the hold. If
they don't have a position it returns 'no position'.

SELECT
tblClient.CompanyName,
tblContact.FirstName,
tblContact.LastName,
coalesce(tblPosition.Description, 'no position') as Description
FROM
tblContactClientLinkTable
INNER JOIN tblContact ON (tblContact.ContactID =3D
tblContactClientLinkTable.ContactID)
INNER JOIN tblClient ON (tblClient.ClientID =3D
tblContactClientLinkTable.ClientID)
LEFT JOIN tblPosition ON (tblContactClientLinkTable.PositionID =3D
tblPosition.PositionID)
GROUP BY
tblClient.CompanyName,
tblContact.FirstName,
tblContact.LastName,
tblPosition.Description
ORDER BY
tblClient.CompanyName

However, If I connect to the server from Access so I can actually edit
the data easily I get problems

Once I'd added all the tables I need (through ODBC linked table),
prefixed each table name with dbo_ (seeings as that's what they're
called when I connect to them and when I look at automatically
generated SQL when I use the
designer instead) and created the SQL query, an error comes up:

Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression
'(dbo_tblContact.ContactID =3D dbo_tblContactClientLinkTable.ContactID)
INNER JOIN dbo_tblClient ON (dbo_tblClient.ClientID =3D
dbo_tblContactClientLinkTable.ClientID)
INNER JOIN dbo_tblPosition ON
(dbo_tblContactClientLinkTable.PositionID =3D dbo_tblPosit'.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

0
uberyes (1)

The problem is with the ODBC connection - in general.  If you are going
to be using Access as a front end for a Sql Server backend - you will
have more consistent/better results using ADO instead of ODBC.  ADO
requires using VBA.  If you want to use the Access Query Tool you will
have to create a temp table in the Access mdb into which you would write
an ADO datapull from the server, and then you can query that.  The
alternative is to write the queries directly in the ADO command object
and execute it.  You will write the results of the ADO query into a temp
table in the Access mdb the same as above.

Rich

rpng123 (1034)
5/30/2008 7:38:31 PM
uberyes@gmail.com wrote in
cb749cd4e96e@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.co
m:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if you could help - I have an SQL server database with
> four tables...
>
> I have a 'tblContact':
> ContactID,FirstName,LastName
> 101,Peter,Smith
> 102,John,Crow
> 103,Ed,Bye
> 104,Stuart,Jones
>
> I have a �tblClient�:
> ClientID,CompanyName
> 201,XYZCom
> 202,ABCCom
>
> I have a �bltClientContactLinkTable�:
> ContactID,ClientID, PositionID
> 101,201,301
> 102,201, 301
> 103,202, 302
> 104,202,302
>
> And fiinally a tblPosition:
> PositionID,Description
> 301,Manager
> 302,Director
>
> The query below (when run through a Query Analyser connected
> diretly to the SQL server) displays the first and last name of all
> contacts along with the company they work for and the position the
> hold. If they don't have a position it returns 'no position'.
>
> SELECT
> tblClient.CompanyName,
> tblContact.FirstName,
> tblContact.LastName,
> coalesce(tblPosition.Description, 'no position') as Description
> FROM
> tblContactClientLinkTable
> INNER JOIN tblContact ON (tblContact.ContactID
> tblContactClientLinkTable.ContactID) INNER JOIN tblClient ON
> (tblClient.ClientID tblContactClientLinkTable.ClientID) LEFT JOIN
> tblPosition ON (tblContactClientLinkTable.PositionID
> tblPosition.PositionID) GROUP BY
> tblClient.CompanyName,
> tblContact.FirstName,
> tblContact.LastName,
> tblPosition.Description
> ORDER BY
> tblClient.CompanyName
>
> However, If I connect to the server from Access so I can actually
> edit the data easily I get problems
>
> Once I'd added all the tables I need (through ODBC linked table),
> prefixed each table name with dbo_ (seeings as that's what they're
> called when I connect to them and when I look at automatically
> generated SQL when I use the
> designer instead) and created the SQL query, an error comes up:
>
> Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression
> '(dbo_tblContact.ContactID =
> dbo_tblContactClientLinkTable.ContactID) INNER JOIN dbo_tblClient
> ON (dbo_tblClient.ClientID dbo_tblContactClientLinkTable.ClientID)
> INNER JOIN dbo_tblPosition ON
> (dbo_tblContactClientLinkTable.PositionID = dbo_tblPosit'.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks,

First, whenever I link to odbc tables i rename them to remove the
dbo_.

The problem is that access syntax is slightly different from SQL
server. You have added the comparison operator that Access expects
in two of the three joins, but

INNER JOIN dbo_tblClient ON (dbo_tblClient.ClientID
dbo_tblContactClientLinkTable.ClientID)
 seems to be missing an = sign between the two field names.

--
Bob Quintal

PA is y I've altered my email address.
rquintal (987)
5/30/2008 8:45:57 PM
Rich P wrote:
> The problem is with the ODBC connection - in general.  If you are
> going to be using Access as a front end for a Sql Server backend -
> you will have more consistent/better results using ADO instead of
> ODBC.  ADO requires using VBA.  If you want to use the Access Query
> Tool you will have to create a temp table in the Access mdb into
> which you would write an ADO datapull from the server, and then you
> can query that.  The alternative is to write the queries directly in
> the ADO command object and execute it.  You will write the results of
> the ADO query into a temp table in the Access mdb the same as above.
>
> Rich

I have no significant ODBC problems with any version of Access connecting to
any version of SQL Server.

Would you really create a front end that did all of its database operations
from code?

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
5/30/2008 10:45:58 PM
Since it works in Query Analyzer, why not just use a Pass-Thru query
to run it?

Or, if this is going to be a regular thing, use the query that works
in Query Analyzer to create a View on SQL Server, and link to that
view in Access.  (Just tell Access it's a Table.)  Although you'll
have to lose the Order By clause.  They won't work in SQL Views.  You
can get around that however, by basing a Access Query on the View and
doing your Order By in the Access Query.

--
Please Post Any Replies To This Message Back To the Newsgroup.
There are "Lurkers" around who can benefit by our exchange!

On May 30, 3:38=A0pm, Rich P <rpng...@aol.com> wrote:
> The problem is with the ODBC connection - in general. =A0If you are going
> to be using Access as a front end for a Sql Server backend - you will
> have more consistent/better results using ADO instead of ODBC. =A0ADO
> requires using VBA. =A0If you want to use the Access Query Tool you will
> have to create a temp table in the Access mdb into which you would write
> an ADO datapull from the server, and then you can query that. =A0The
> alternative is to write the queries directly in the ADO command object
> and execute it. =A0You will write the results of the ADO query into a temp=

> table in the Access mdb the same as above. =A0
>
> Rich
>
> *** Sent via Developersdexhttp://www.developersdex.com***

Converting SQL Server 2000 query to MS Access 2000 query
Hello! I am trying to convert a query written for SQL Server 2000 database tables, to a MS Access query. Here is what I have in SQL Server: SELECT t2.*, CASE WHEN t2.QType = '3' THEN t1.Note ELSE CASE WHEN t2.QType = '2' THEN CASE WHEN CONVERT(varchar(100), t1.ANumber) = '1' THEN 'Yes' ELSE 'No' END ELSE CASE WHEN CONVERT(varchar(5), t2.Qnumber)+'.' + CONVERT(varchar(5), t1.ANumber) = t2.SubQ THEN 'Selected' ELSE 'Not Selected' END END END AS Client_Response FROM (SELECT * FROM ClientAnswer WHER...

I have a very frustrating problem. I have a situation that works fine on some computers, but not on others. I have SQL Server Express 2005 and Access 2003 loaded on 4 computers. I have set up a "Linked Server" in SQL Server linked to my Access database. I am running queries on t-SQL against the Access tables through the linked server. On all of the computers, I can do select queries and they all work great but what I need to do is run Update, Insert, Delete queries as well. On a couple of the computers, it works fine, locally and across the LAN, and a VPN as far as that goes. B...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anythi...

ms access to sql server query help!
Hi All, I'm desperately trying to use an old access query and translate it to be used in SQL enterprise manager. The dataset i'm trying to update is too large for access (28 million rows). IIf([TableName]![FIELDNAME] Like "??0*",Left([TableName]![FIELDNAME], 2) & Right([TableName]![FIELDNAME],4),IIf([TableName]![FIELDNAME] Like "?0*",Left([TableName]![FIELDNAME],1) & Right([TableName]! [FIELDNAME], 4),[TableName]![FIELDNAME])) This works to remove padding zeros in the middle of a postcode field. eg SR04 PQJ would be SR4 PQJ or S03 4PY would be S3 4PY. It does this by finding all postcodes that begin with either ??0 or ? 0 and then recompiles them using concatenation. This works fine in access but i can't translate it to be read in SQL server. I'm aware of the differences in wildcard chars and the CONCAT function but cannot seem to get it right. Could someone please help!! In SQL Server: 1. There is no such function as Iif, you need to use the CASE function. 2. The string delimiter is a single quote mark, not a double quote mark. 3. "*" is not a wildcard character, you need to use the "%" character. 4. The "!" character will not be recognised, use a full stop character. 5. The "&" operator does not exist, the nearest equivalent is the "+" operator. SQL Server 2000 Books Online can be downloaded for free: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and data...

what is equivalent of format(date) function of MS Access in MS Sql Server 2000
Hi All, I am facing a problem with a sql what i used in MS Access but its not returning the same result in MS Sql Server 2000. Here i am giving the sql: SELECT TOP 3 format( MY_DATE, "dddd mm, yyyy" ) FROM MY_TAB WHERE MY_ID=1 The above sql in ACCESS return me the date in below format in one column: Friday 09, 2003 But in Sql server 2000 i am not getting the same format eventhough i am using convert function, date part function etc. Please if you find the solution would be helpful for me.. Thanks Hoque Hi If you field is a datetime, you can use the CONVERT function to conver...

Converting MS Access Queries to TSQL in SQL Server
I am attempting to upsize from access to SQL Server. I'm trying to convert my queries to SQL Server views; however, I'm having a lot of difficulty with the syntax differences. For instance, a query with select mid(tblTable.FieldName,1,10)should look something like select substring(tblTable.FieldName,1,10). This is really the simplest of examples. I've tried using the SQL Server Import tool, but it takes the queries and changes them into actual tables in SQL Server. I've attempted to use the upsizing wizard, but I get an OVERFLOW error. Does anyone know of a tool that will co...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

Trouble when submitting sql-query to MS Access Database
Hi, I have some problems when trying to submit a simple insertion statement to a MS Access Database. The reading is fine, but when I want to execute an insertion statement using the following code: public void SQLCommand(String sql) throws SQLException { connection = DriverManager.getConnection(database); Statement stmt = connection.createStatement(); stmt.executeUpdate(sql); connection.close(); } gives the following error: java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Too few parameters. Expected 1. at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.createSQLException(Unknown Source) at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.standardError(Unknown Source) at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.SQLExecDirect(Unknown Source) at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcStatement.execute(Unknown Source) at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcStatement.executeUpdate(Unknown Source) at org.strumpflohner.CodeNotebook.Data.DBManager.SQLCommand(DBManager.java:45) at org.strumpflohner.CodeNotebook.Data.TestClass.main(TestClass.java:15) Could someone help me? kito Suggestion 1: The error is caused because you're referring to a table that does not exist. Try to run the query in a seperate query editor and verify that it does work. Also check that the string you pass as argument is correct, e.g. not concatenation that has destroyed the intended string. Suggestion 2: You probably need to add quotes in the executeQuery. Whenever you pass a string to a database try to inclose the statement with...

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

MS SQL Server 2000 and MS JDBC SQL Server driver problems. (Connection timed out, followed by Error establishing socket)
I have downloaded the MS SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation edition, and the MS SQL 2000 Server JDBC driver. I have installed and configured the MS SQL Server 2000 onto two computers, which reside on the same network. (In fact, these two computers comprise the entire network). The network server (computer name=SUNCDS1), and the lone node (SUNCDS2), each have their own SQL Server 2000 instance. The SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager console on SUNCDS1 shows both SQL Server instances, the (local) instance, which is SUNCDS1, and also SUNCDS2. It may be worthwhile to mention that the SUNCDS2 instance on the Enterprise console does not show the SQL Server Agent as being started, but I can navigate to the SUNCDS2 databases, and display the table information. If I try to start the SQL Server Agent for SUNCDS2, I receive the message "Access is Denied". The enterprise console on the SUNCDS2 machine indeed shows the SQL Server Agent as being started. I have written a sample Java application that uses both the MS SQL Server ODBC driver and a JDBC type 4 driver (MS SQL Server 2000 JDBC) to establish a connection to the SUNCDS2 instance. This application resides on the SUNCDS1 network server. The ODBC driver will connect to SUNCDS2 instance wihout a problem. The JDBC driver does not connect to SUNCDS2. The JDBC driver will, however, connect to the local SQL Server instance that resides on SUNCDS1. Following are the code snippet to est...

Why Same query results in two different # in SQL Server vs MS Access
Hello, I have one simple query joining two tables with left outer join on 3 fields and using MIN on two fields. These two tables have lot of data about 3 mil in total. I am trying to migrate db from MS Access to SQL 2005. I get about 689000 rows in SQL Server, vs 863000 rows in MS Access. SELECT T1.[MON], T1.[ANUM], T2.[ANUM], MIN ( T1.[OCD]), MIN(T1. [STATE]), T1.COUNT FROM T1 INNER JOIN T2 ON T1.MON = T2.MON AND T1.[OCD] = T2.[OCD] AND T1.[STATE] = T2.[STATE] WHERE T1.[REASON] <> 'SOMETHING' AND T2.[REASON] <> 'SOMETHING' GROUP BY T1.[MON], T1.[ANUM], T2.[ANUM], T1.COUNT HAVING T1.[MON] <> '-' AND T1.[ANUM] <> '-' I have about 30 queries to migrate and I am sort of stuck. Does any one have any idea ? JB On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:31:46 -0800 (PST), dsdevonsomer@gmail.com wrote: >Hello, >I have one simple query joining two tables with left outer join on 3 >fields and using MIN on two fields. These two tables have lot of data >about 3 mil in total. I am trying to migrate db from MS Access to SQL >2005. I get about 689000 rows in SQL Server, vs 863000 rows in MS >Access. > >SELECT T1.[MON], T1.[ANUM], T2.[ANUM], MIN ( T1.[OCD]), MIN(T1. >[STATE]), T1.COUNT > >FROM T1 INNER JOIN T2 ON T1.MON = T2.MON AND T1.[OCD] = T2.[OCD] AND >T1.[STATE] = T2.[STATE] > >WHERE T1.[REASON] <> 'SOMETHING' AND T2.[REASON] <> 'SOMETHING' > >GROUP BY T1.[MON], T...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Why upgrade to MS SQL Server (be it 2000 or 2005) from Access (say, 97)?
Probably this question has been asked hundreds of times and yet net search has not generated satisfactory enough answer, at least, to me. And OK, let's assume your organization has more than 200 employees, just one measure to indicate that it's not small and data processing needs are quite extensive (for both OLTP and OLAP). We've heard so much about concurrency support, stability and performance. Are there any real persuasive paper out there to talk about it? Now, let me also put it in another perspective, say, you're a Microsoft sql server sales guy or gal for that matte...

Ms Access upload to SQL Server 2005 BE & Sharepoint FE
I have about 20 Ms Access Databases to need to be upload onto a SQL Server 2005. Currently the are on a network/server residing on a specific drive. The goal is to keep the user face the same (ms access) and put all of the tables onto a SQL Server 2005 BE, and yet make those databases accessible to open/view through Ms Sharepoint. What is the simple (properties) way to grab all of those db's = 20 and upload to server? With out having to write code. Pull all db's over to SQL then store the Ms Access databases on Sharepoint where the user face remains the same and the tables are on th...

Moving data from MS SQL Server 2000 or MS Access XP to UniData 5.2.9
Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. --Ryan N. Ryan N. wrote: > Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte > level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch > initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 > or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. > > Any leads would be greatly appreciated. > > --Ryan N. Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then the scripting to move it on. www.asent.com Better yet, most likely you need a consultant. Check out Tony Gravagno. He's good at building interfaces, and has most of the tools pre-built. He is at http:(no spam)//nebula-rnd.com/ get rid of the (no spam) HTH, Patrick <;=) "(Latimerp)" <"(Latimerp)"@comcast.net> wrote: >Ryan N. wrote: >> Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte >> level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch >> initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 >> or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. >> >> Any leads would be greatly appreciated. >> >> --Ryan N. > >Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then t...

Using GetOleDbSchemaTable and Visual Basic .NET for MS-Access and SQL Server Express
I need to write a VB.Net application that will take an mdb file (Access 2000) and create corresponding copy of it in SQL Express, creating all the tables and relationships, and transferring over the data (using an existing application like DTS in SQL Server or something else is NOT an option - this must be coded from scratch). The Access databases that it must be able to handle will only have tables, relationships, and data (i.e. no forms, macros, queries, reports). I see that in the System.Data.OleDb namespace there is the method GetOleDbSchemaTable that returns all sorts of schema informati...

Web resources about - Loads of errors when querying MS SQL Server Express 2005 from Access 2007 - comp.databases.ms-access

Wanderers coach Tony Popovic slams Sydney FC's Graham Arnold for querying players' integrity
Western Sydney coach Tony Popovic has lashed out at Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold for suggesting Wanderers players celebrated Ali Abbas' injury ...

BBC News - Querying Nato's rapid reaction force
Nato's announcement of a beefed-up rapid reaction force raises big questions for many of its key member states, says the BBC's Jonathan Marcus. ...

The Pitching & Querying Advice You've Been Waiting For
There are few things in writing as terrifying and humbling as pitching and querying. Doing these things feels like asking someone out on a date, ...

Querying EntityFramework Views without a Key
By definition an Entity should have an Identity. An issue that often comes up with EF is querying views which do not have a primary key. No key, ...

Facebook unveils Presto engine for querying 250 PB data warehouse
At a conference for developers at Facebook headquarters on Thursday, engineers working for the social networking giant revealed that it’s using ...

Manually assigning .related('somerelation') without querying database? · Issue #919 · tgriesser/bookshelf ...
bookshelf - A simple Node.js ORM for PostgreSQL, MySQL and SQLite3 built on top of Knex.js

Cloudera Impala Brings SQL Querying To Hadoop
Cloudera's SQL-on-Hadoop tool hits general release, but will it satisfy demands for faster, easier exploration of big data?

Pivotal juices Hadoop with in-memory database and SQL querying
Pivotal, an EMC/VMware spin-off that has big plans to deliver big data analytics through platform as a service, has whisked the

Link Building Query Theory: 7 Crucial Keyword Types for Link Prospect Querying
These seven common types of prospect keywords will expand how you think about link prospecting and help you become a smarter, more strategically ...

Microsoft updates Power BI for Office 365 with data search, natural language querying, and 3D visualizations ...
Emil Protalinski / The Next Web : Microsoft updates Power BI for Office 365 with data search, natural language querying, and 3D visualizations ...