MS 2000 Secured Database

Hi.

I have created a secured database which lots of my colleagues use.
However when I want to make changes I can't because invariably there is
somebody using it.
Is there a way of either kicking everybody out or finding out who is
using it, so I can go and beat them up so they get out.

cheers

Stephen

Stephen,

Your database should be split into a front end and a back end. The back
end will have just the tables, the front end will have everything else,
and will be linked to the tables in the back end. Each user will have a
copy of the FE on his or her computer. When you make changes, make them
in another copy of the FE.

There are a lot of ways to distribute new versions of the FE, but the
one I've used most is to write a batch file that checks to see if the
user has the newest version and if not, copies it over from the file
server to their computer and then starts the database. You can see a
write-up of how I do this on my website at http://www.abcdataworks.com
in the developers' section.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy Wallace
Fund for the City of New York

Cheers Jeremy

I will have a look at your site and have a play

Stephen

Total agreement about the splitting (I use a log-in db app to check for
a new version / download and log users in... not too hot with the aule
batches, me), but for a more immediate solution, take a look at the
lock file - this is a file placed in the directory that the database is
in, with the same name as the database but a different extension (file
type something like Access.LockFile.9). Open it with notepad, read the
names of folk logged in... then go kick ass.

(There are ways to get to this lockfile info programatically aswell -
but there's pleanty written about that in these newsgroups already.)

0
coleman.bill (236)
3/15/2006 2:59:58 PM
BillCo

I tried to look at the lock file and the only user it shows is me.
Despite the fact I'm not in it.
I also tried closing down completely, trying to delete the lockfile on
reopening (I have to do this sometimes when the copy and paste goes mad
on me) and before openeing the database checking again to see the user.
And yes it's still only me.

Why would you need to delete the lockfile? it automatically removes
itself when everyone has logged out (except when the last user out
crashes out without closing properly).

anyway - Jeremy was right... split the database into front ends and a
backend. then your worries are over!

0
coleman.bill (236)

Problem with MS Access 97 database security
All, I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access 97 database applications that support production and order fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following problems: 1) no one can make modifications to the database except by logging in using the database creator's userid and password on the workstation used by that person, who has of course left the company. Anyone else who tries to access the database, even the system administrator, gets the message "You dont have the nececssary permissions to use the xxxxxxxxx object.Have your system administrator or the person who created the object establish the appropriate permissions for you." 2) We logged in and "added" another person with the same permissions as the creator for all database objects, except we did not change the database object "ownerships", and the problem still persists. I suspect that the ownerships are the problem. Is this so? 3) I dont know anything about the restriction to a particular machine. Can anyone enlighten me on this issue? TIA JL <jliebman@kjlsoftware.com> wrote in message news:1176986756.146353.213270@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > All, > > I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access > 97 database applications that support production and order > fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following > problems: > > 1) no one can make modifications ...

Problem with MS Access 97 database security #2
[...]

Another way to open an MS ACCESS 2000 database?
Hi! I've developed an ms access 2000 db. Then I'll protect the db with a password. But I want to open the access 2000 file from a Delphi 7 program, and try to have the program connect to the ms access 2000 db. 1. How can I have the OnOpen_event of the starting form in access check if the db is being tried open from doubleclicking the access 2000 file itself, and deny the user to open except from the Delphi program? 2. What is the connection string to the access 2000 file from the Delphi 7 program? The reason is that I'll write to the register from Delphi 7 and do ...

MS Access 2000 corrupt's databases
Hello. We have about 20 users in our Access databases. Sometime databases corrupts and are not available. I have to correct them. It is not nice, because you have to ask every user to close database, because other wise correcting is not possible. We have 100 Mt Cat 5 ethernet and some of the users use database via Citrix servers. Why databases corrupts and is there anything I can do to this problem? Hannu There are some things that can be done to minimize the problem. First, make sure the have the most current updates and service packs for Office, MDAC, Jet, and your operating systems. Th...

Another way to open an MS ACCESS 2000 database? #2
Hi! I've developed an ms access 2000 db. Then I'll protect the db with a password. But I want to open the access 2000 file from a Delphi 7 program, and try to have the program connect to the ms access 2000 db. 1. How can I have the OnOpen_event of the starting form in access check if the db is being tried open from doubleclicking the access 2000 file itself, and deny the user to open except from the Delphi program? 2. What is the connection string to the access 2000 file from the Delphi 7 program? The reason is that I'll write to the register from Delphi 7 and do ...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

databases.ms-access
hi for fun masti, fashion, articles,mobiles, cars etc plz visit these sites http://www.familypk.com http://www.enttwist.com thanks ...

Web resources about - MS 2000 Secured Database - comp.databases.ms-access