MS Access 2000 VBA Code Shows Totally Incorrect Date from Controls on a Form

Hi,

Sorry for my English. English is not my native tougue.

I am working in MS Access 2000 with a SQLServer 2000 Backend database.
MS Access 2000 is my GUI front end that has SQLServer linked tables in
it. One of my forms has two  TEXT BOX controls formated as Short Date.
The form is binded to a linked table. The linked tables has about 7
records and  one of the control is binded to a table field. These two
controls displays the date correctly as 01/07/2006 and 31/07/2006 (I am
running Windows XP, my regional setting is set to English Australia,
location is set to Australia, language for non-Unicode programs is set
to English Australia, and my date format is set to d/MM/YYYY) when the
form is running. I have some VBA code behind the form to print out
these two dates to a text file. The dates show up as  30/12/2005 and
30/01/2006. I really do not know why these dates are totally different.
Here's my VBA code:

Open "C:\Results.txt" For Output Access Write Lock Write As #1
Print #1, "GL run from "; Me.txtFromDate; " to "; Me.txtToDate
Print #1, ""
::
::
Close #1

I am hoping some one has come across with this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Easystart

0
nhon_nham (2)

oh, so you mean you're just outputting everything to a text file?

My guess is that since MS stores all it's data in US format, your have
to force it into Australian format when you write it to the file.  What
happens if you use Format() and force it into the format you want?

0
pietlinden (2926)
8/10/2006 5:02:37 AM
There are some basic things you need to do to ensure Access interprets our
d/m/y dates correctly.

Specifically:
- Set the Format property of unbound contorls, so Access knows they are
dates.
- Declare parameters in your query, so Access gets the type right.
- Typecast calculated fields, so Access gets the type right.
- Understand the difference between dates entered in the interface, and
dates entered into VBA code or SQL clauses.

Details in:
    International Date Formats in Access
at:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-36.html

Also:
    Calculated fields misinterpreted
at:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-45.html

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia.

"Easystart" <nhon_nham@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Sorry for my English. English is not my native tougue.
>
> I am working in MS Access 2000 with a SQLServer 2000 Backend database.
> MS Access 2000 is my GUI front end that has SQLServer linked tables in
> it. One of my forms has two  TEXT BOX controls formated as Short Date.
> The form is binded to a linked table. The linked tables has about 7
> records and  one of the control is binded to a table field. These two
> controls displays the date correctly as 01/07/2006 and 31/07/2006 (I am
> running Windows XP, my regional setting is set to English Australia,
> location is set to Australia, language for non-Unicode programs is set
> to English Australia, and my date format is set to d/MM/YYYY) when the
> form is running. I have some VBA code behind the form to print out
> these two dates to a text file. The dates show up as  30/12/2005 and
> 30/01/2006. I really do not know why these dates are totally different.
> Here's my VBA code:
>
> Open "C:\Results.txt" For Output Access Write Lock Write As #1
> Print #1, "GL run from "; Me.txtFromDate; " to "; Me.txtToDate
> Print #1, ""
> ::
> ::
> Close #1
>
> I am hoping some one has come across with this problem.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Easystart

0
AllenBrowne (3681)
8/10/2006 6:20:14 AM
pietlinden@hotmail.com wrote:

> My guess is that since MS stores all it's data in US format

I think store is not the correct word here. Dates are stored in 8
bytes, resembling doubles. MS requires the US format (mm/dd/yyyy) or an
international format (yyyy-mm-dd) to interpret date strings correctly.

0
lylefairfield (1852)
8/10/2006 6:51:04 AM
Easystart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for my English. English is not my native tougue.
>
> I am working in MS Access 2000 with a SQLServer 2000 Backend database.
> MS Access 2000 is my GUI front end that has SQLServer linked tables in
> it. One of my forms has two  TEXT BOX controls formated as Short Date.
> The form is binded to a linked table. The linked tables has about 7
> records and  one of the control is binded to a table field. These two
> controls displays the date correctly as 01/07/2006 and 31/07/2006 (I am
> running Windows XP, my regional setting is set to English Australia,
> location is set to Australia, language for non-Unicode programs is set
> to English Australia, and my date format is set to d/MM/YYYY) when the
> form is running. I have some VBA code behind the form to print out
> these two dates to a text file. The dates show up as  30/12/2005 and
> 30/01/2006. I really do not know why these dates are totally different.
> Here's my VBA code:
>
> Open "C:\Results.txt" For Output Access Write Lock Write As #1
> Print #1, "GL run from "; Me.txtFromDate; " to "; Me.txtToDate
> Print #1, ""
> ::
> ::
> Close #1
>
> I am hoping some one has come across with this problem.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Easystart

I cannot duplicate your results. It seems that something obvious
(exchanging day and month positions;
allowing for SQL-Server day zero to be two days later than VBA
[1900-01-01 as opposed to 1899-12-30];
the "#" character being interpreted to mean number by the print command
rather that date-number)
isn't jumping out here.

I note that, depending upon rounding, the error dates are one half year
earlier than the correct dates. Are you doing anything with six months,
half a year in this procedure or any procedure connected with this
form?

I suggest that you run

Open "C:\Results.txt" For Output Access Write Lock Write As #1
Debug.Print "GL run from "; Me.txtFromDate; " to "; Me.txtToDate
Debug.Print "GL run from "; Clng(Me.txtFromDate); " to ";
CLng(Me.txtToDate)
Print #1, "GL run from "; Me.txtFromDate; " to "; Me.txtToDate

to see if the values appearing in the Immediate Window will shed some
light on what's going wrong. I would also be more explicit as in
Me.txtFromDate.Value.
or
Format(Me.txtFromDate.Value, "yyyy-mm-dd")

0
lylefairfield (1852)

It is Easystart again.

After reading your replies, I have made a small change. Here's my
change:

r_reportdata.FromDate = CVDate(Me.txtFromDate.Value)
r_reportdata.ToDate = CVDate(Me.txtToDate.Value)
lstrTemp = "GL run from " & Format(r_reportdata.FromDate, "short date")
& " to " & Format(r_reportdata.ToDate, "short date")
::
::
Print #1, lstrTemp

The two controls on my form are already formated as short date.

Let's wait for my Client to try it out and I will post the result.

Regards,

Easystart.

Lyle Fairfield wrote:
> Easystart wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sorry for my English. English is not my native tougue.
> >
> > I am working in MS Access 2000 with a SQLServer 2000 Backend database.
> > MS Access 2000 is my GUI front end that has SQLServer linked tables in
> > it. One of my forms has two  TEXT BOX controls formated as Short Date.
> > The form is binded to a linked table. The linked tables has about 7
> > records and  one of the control is binded to a table field. These two
> > controls displays the date correctly as 01/07/2006 and 31/07/2006 (I am
> > running Windows XP, my regional setting is set to English Australia,
> > location is set to Australia, language for non-Unicode programs is set
> > to English Australia, and my date format is set to d/MM/YYYY) when the
> > form is running. I have some VBA code behind the form to print out
> > these two dates to a text file. The dates show up as  30/12/2005 and
> > 30/01/2006. I really do not know why these dates are totally different.
> > Here's my VBA code:
> >
> > Open "C:\Results.txt" For Output Access Write Lock Write As #1
> > Print #1, "GL run from "; Me.txtFromDate; " to "; Me.txtToDate
> > Print #1, ""
> > ::
> > ::
> > Close #1
> >
> > I am hoping some one has come across with this problem.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Easystart
>
> I cannot duplicate your results. It seems that something obvious
> (exchanging day and month positions;
> allowing for SQL-Server day zero to be two days later than VBA
> [1900-01-01 as opposed to 1899-12-30];
> the "#" character being interpreted to mean number by the print command
> rather that date-number)
> isn't jumping out here.
>
> I note that, depending upon rounding, the error dates are one half year
> earlier than the correct dates. Are you doing anything with six months,
> half a year in this procedure or any procedure connected with this
> form?
>
> I suggest that you run
>
> Open "C:\Results.txt" For Output Access Write Lock Write As #1
> Debug.Print "GL run from "; Me.txtFromDate; " to "; Me.txtToDate
> Debug.Print "GL run from "; Clng(Me.txtFromDate); " to ";
> CLng(Me.txtToDate)
> Print #1, "GL run from "; Me.txtFromDate; " to "; Me.txtToDate
>
> to see if the values appearing in the Immediate Window will shed some
> light on what's going wrong. I would also be more explicit as in
> Me.txtFromDate.Value.
> or
> Format(Me.txtFromDate.Value, "yyyy-mm-dd")

0
nhon_nham (2)

what is equivalent of format(date) function of MS Access in MS Sql Server 2000
Hi All, I am facing a problem with a sql what i used in MS Access but its not returning the same result in MS Sql Server 2000. Here i am giving the sql: SELECT TOP 3 format( MY_DATE, "dddd mm, yyyy" ) FROM MY_TAB WHERE MY_ID=1 The above sql in ACCESS return me the date in below format in one column: Friday 09, 2003 But in Sql server 2000 i am not getting the same format eventhough i am using convert function, date part function etc. Please if you find the solution would be helpful for me.. Thanks Hoque Hi If you field is a datetime, you can use the CONVERT function to conver...

Read-Only ODBC Access to MS Access 2000
I have created an ODBC File DSN data source in Windows XP. I have successfully used this DSN to link tables from a Sybase SQL Anywhere database to Access 2000. How can you make this ODBC connection read-only? P.S. I would like to make the ODBC connection itself read-only (if possible) rather than adding security to the MS Access DB. ...

Using VBA to toggle from MS Word to MS Access?
Access 2003, Windows XP SP2 I have an application that generates a word document populated with a variety of fields from Access tables. The word document is generated when the user presses a button (cmdGenerateAgreement) on a form (frmTransaction). I want the process to work as follows: 1. User presses button 2. Word document is opened and populated 3. Access screen becomes visible with a message box 4. User presses Ok 5. Word screen becomes visible for finalization My question is how do I achieve steps 3 and 5? I've tried SetFocus, Access Web's API: Manipulate Window (fSetAccessWindow), and a lot of browsing in the newsgroups. Nothing seems to work. My guess is that this functionality will require a call to the Windows API. I've read all the relevant sections in my Access books, and nothing specific to this situation is mentioned. Can this functionality be accessed using VBA? If so, any help or direction would be appreciated. If not, can anyone think of a work around? Thank you, Kelii My super easy merge does all 5 steps...and you can "enable" ANY screen for merge with ONE line of code.... The sample I have can be found here: http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/msaccess.html What is nice/interesting about my sample is that is specially designed to enable ANY form with ONE LINE of code.... Thus, each time you build a new form, you can word merge enable it with great ease. Make sure you read the instructions from above, and y...

Forms/Subforms in MS Access Database

Form Events MS Access 2000
I can't seem to figure out which of the forms event is called "AFTER" the form is displayed. I am trying to run some code after the form is displayed, not before. Any ideas? Thanks in advance... Open, Load, and Activate are the candidate events, unless you want an event that fires on each new Record displayed, which would be the Current event. Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP "Steven" <imfd69@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1103315567.731773.89470@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > I can't seem to figure out which of the forms event is called &quo...

Inserting Date/Time into MS Access Database
I'm trying to insert a timestamp into an MS Access Database using the Labview database connectivity toolset.&nbsp; However, I keep getting an error saying that the parameter is in the incorrect format.&nbsp; I'm using the "DB Tools Format DateTime String.vi", and it doesn't seem to be working. Hello, I don't have the answer to your question, but.... How did you get information to be written into MS Access from labview. Thanks. If you are using this function to create the date but using SQL to put the date into the DB, this is probably the cause of your problem, because the VI adds a header to your string which is removed later by the parser. If you want to use this date in an SQL command, you should build it yourself or remove the header. &nbsp; As for roboticstudent, just look at the examples in the example finder to see how to interact with databases. I tried it both ways.&nbsp; I tried using the format date/time into string where it would return "11/7/05 8:22:34 PM", which I then tried to insert in to the DB, but to no avail.&nbsp; I even tried various formats, changing the order of the numbers, etc., but it doesn't seem to work. It would be easiest if you post your code, or at least an image of it. Also, which error exactly are you getting? Is it possible you're trying to enter a string into a numeric field (for example)? If I define a date\time field in Access and then use Insert Data (with the LV format...

Autopopulating fields in a form, MS Access 2000
I have a table of about 6000 clients which have unique client numbers. I am creating a data entry form to log contacts with the clients. I want the client information (Name, Sales Rep, phone number, etc) to autopopulate fields on the form when the client number is entered. I have seen this done on another database I have access to, but have been unseccessfull in recreating it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? you want to use Dlookup in an event procedure that runs after you update the client number "lvroye" <rpellington@cox.net> wrote in message news:1176677779.920120.301110@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... >I have a table of about 6000 clients which have unique client numbers. > I am creating a data entry form to log contacts with the clients. I > want the client information (Name, Sales Rep, phone number, etc) to > autopopulate fields on the form when the client number is entered. I > have seen this done on another database I have access to, but have > been unseccessfull in recreating it. Can anyone point me in the right > direction? > Hi Ivroye I would not be keen to do a dlookup after the even. For a start, you only get 1 value back at a time, which may make for slow processing when you have to get a lot of data back. Try something like this Client Number <after update> dim db as dao.database set db = currentdb() dim rst as dao.recordset set rst = db.openrecordset("select * from tblClientInfo wher...

OT: MS Access runtime wants to control all MS Office charts
Office 97, Access 97, Sagekeys scripts. In addtion of Access 97, my runtime package is installed too. This is an old application that has been running since 1998. The customer is happy with it. I have a glitch in.... Powerpoint 97. When an user double-clicks a chart, it starts my Ms Access Runtime Installer! It will do the same if he right-clicks and uses 'Edit'. If he selects 'Open', it will do it in a separate windows and it is Ok. Thius probably comes because MS Chart is shared among office apps. I would really like to have this problem even if there is a turnaround and I have the feeling that the solution should be in the registry, but I can't find where. Any help appreciated. TIA. "saintor1@hotmail.com" <saintor1@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1183816847.132126.79420@c77g2000hse.googlegroups.com: > Office 97, Access 97, Sagekeys scripts. In addtion of Access > 97, my runtime package is installed too. > > This is an old application that has been running since 1998. > The customer is happy with it. > > I have a glitch in.... Powerpoint 97. > > When an user double-clicks a chart, it starts my Ms Access > Runtime Installer! It will do the same if he right-clicks > and uses 'Edit'. If he selects 'Open', it will do it in a > separate windows and it is Ok. Thius probably comes because > MS Chart is shared among office apps. > > I would really like to have thi...

Old ms-access file, showing wrong text in access xp
Dear sirs: I've one old .mdb file ( since 97). now when I open it, it converts most of text to strange unicode characters. can I stop this conversion and ask access to just show original non-unicode characters? Thanks Bijan ...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

Web resources about - MS Access 2000 VBA Code Shows Totally Incorrect Date from Controls on a Form - comp.databases.ms-access

Politically Incorrect (blog) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the political blog. For the concept, see political correctness . For other uses, see Politically incorrect (disambiguation) ...

Incorrect sitting posture - slouching - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Back pain is the second most common reason people visits their GP (the first is the cold/flu) accounting for more than 7 million consultations ...

Joe Rogan and Mark Cuban on Politically Incorrect - YouTube
Joe Rogan on Politically Incorrect with Bill Maher and Mark Cuban

Politically incorrect
Politically incorrect

Brisbane man issued incorrect cremation certificate after council's grave error
... was left questioning whether was given the wrong ashes, after his wife was cremated at a Brisbane cemetery and the council issued an incorrect ...

Michelle Bridges wedding rumours incorrect: Tahiti was just a babymoon
RUMOURS are doing the rounds that Michelle Bridges and Steve &#8220;Commando&#8221; Willis are now married, having secretly tied the knot in ...

Incorrect answers in prep test books prove a real trial for students and their parents
You are not alone if you and your children were left scratching your heads over the answers in a book designed to prep students for the selective ...

NBC News' Brian Williams apologises for incorrect 2003 Iraq story
Brian Williams of NBC Nightly News apologised on his Wednesday broadcast for mistakenly saying he was aboard a helicopter that was hit by enemy ...

Politically incorrect cars
Politically incorrect cars

Clive Palmer incorrect on the number of executions in China
Clive Palmer got it wrong when he claimed the Chinese government executes 500,000 people a year.