MS Access 2002 - query form control returns funny symbols like [][]

MS Access 2002  - query form control returns funny symbols like [][]

I am running an append query on a form.  Access is having trouble with
the calculated fields and comboboxes.  Example – referring to
forms!FormName!ControlName within the query should return the value of
that control, correct?

I am receiving symbols such as boxes [] or [][] as well as Chinese
symbols.  Any thoughts as to why this is happening.  thanks
0
Derekst (3)

This happens if Access does not understand the data type of the calculated
controls.

Typecast the calculated fields, and set the Format of unbound controls.

For more detail, see:
    Calculated fields misinterpreted
at:
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~allenbrowne/ser-45.html

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia.

"Dman" <Derekst@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> MS Access 2002  - query form control returns funny symbols like [][]
>
> I am running an append query on a form.  Access is having trouble with
> the calculated fields and comboboxes.  Example &#8211; referring to
> forms!FormName!ControlName within the query should return the value of
> that control, correct?
>
> I am receiving symbols such as boxes [] or [][] as well as Chinese
> symbols.  Any thoughts as to why this is happening.  thanks

0
AllenBrowne (3681)

Should I upgrade from MS Access 97 to MS Access 2002
Hi guys My company has in one of their products used Access 97 and MS JET 3.5 for several years now. Should we move the database to Access 2002 -which we use now in other parts of the company and also upgrade the MS JET to the latest version? And what does MS JET do? Kjell Arne Johansen MS Jet is the database engine that comes with, and is, by default, used by Microsoft Access. If you aren't having any troubles with the Access 97 database, then there isn't any technical reason to change. There may be company political reasons if, say, the IT department only wants to have one ve...

Any MS Access that is NOT MS Access in WinXP?
Hi all, I have a small application for bookkeeping, actually working in Access with small routines in VBA. I want to rewrite it in Java, but I don't want to use Access anymore. I started looking for another database, but I found none. I already know (and used) MySQL and PostgreSQL (waiting 7.4), but as far as I know they are only daemon, and under windows they use a lot of memory and CPU time. It's like installing a Ferrari only to cross the road. Maybe an approach with loading the daemon at the start of the program, and quitting it at the end, but I don't know how ...

This is the code that I found on the internet for accessing an ms access database: import java.sql.*; class Test { public static void main(String[] args) { try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); // set this to a MS Access DB you have on your machine String filename = "d:/java/mdbTEST.mdb"; String database = "jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ="; database+= filename.trim() + ";DriverID=22;READONLY=true}"; // add on to the end ...

HOWTO: access a form outside of MS Access
Hello, Is there any possible way to use forms, created in MS Access environment, in external applications (through COM, etc.)? Regards, Vladimir. Yes, but why? On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:26:45 +0600, "Vladimir" <genisoft@ufacom.ru> wrote: >Is there any possible way to use forms, created in MS Access environment, in >external applications (through COM, etc.)? -- Warning: Dates In Calendar Are Closer Than They Appear. > > Yes, but why? I need to use them like dialogs from my MFC app. So how can I use them? > > On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:26:45 +0600, ...

I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how can i make client access database located on the server? "HeMan_Speaks" <Lunar20092010@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d71ce567-0434-48b8-b1d2-bb191706ab45@w8g2000prd.googlegroups.com... >I m currently developing a java based application and want to know how > can i make client access database located on the server? I think you're going to have to expand a little bit more in your question here, as is not 100% quite clear what you're trying to do. You might want to make a little bit of a d...

Hi! Is there a MATLAB command which gives access to a .mdb MS Access database or do I need a special driver? Thanks, Andree Hi Andree Ellert, you can use activeXcontrol to interact with MS-Access database. access = actxserver('Access.Application'); returns the handle for Access. set(access, 'Visible', 1); will show the opened Access window. use get(access) and set(access) commands to find the methods available to call. -Vadivelu M =========== http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/database/datatool.shtml "Andree Ellert" <ellert@gmx.net////...

access to MS Access password-protected database?
Can anyone direct me towards a code snippet showing how to use Python to insert data into a password-protected MS Access database? My google searches have been uninformative for dbs that are password-protected. Thanks, Ken On Feb 11, 10:43=A0am, Ken McDonald <kmmcdon...@medicine.wisc.edu> wrote: > Can anyone direct me towards a code snippet showing how to use Python =A0 > to insert data into a password-protected MS Access database? My google = =A0 > searches have been uninformative for dbs that are password-protected. > > Thanks, > Ken You post is a little vague...

conversion of ms access 97 application to ms access 2000
hi access gurus would appreciate if u can give me pointers regarding conversion of ms access 97 application to ms access 2000, like what are the problems to be expected and how to handle it. also would appreciate if anyone can give pointers on using VSS with ms access 2000, how to handle multiuser issues when it comes to insert, update and delete. thanx in advance, regards bala balkiicbe@yahoo.com (bala) wrote in message news:<b62a781b.0310080544.6d2a08fc@posting.google.com>... > hi access gurus > > would appreciate if u can give me pointers regarding conversion of ms >...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Cal...

Making MS Access Form as a standalone form like in VB
Well, its sames difficult for me; I love access so much and wish to make it perform extra task. I prepared an HTML form but can not connect it to my access table and so I think it is possible to make an access form a standalone form for user input. Can anyone assist. My mail add is dianafather@aim.com. *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Oscar, why don't you just code up a VB form for user input and connect it to an Access backend? To my knowledge, you can't force an Access form to exist outside of Access. Your users would have to open the Access file to ent...

Database connection to MS Access & MS Foxpro
Hi, When we select new project ,can "MFC AppWizard(exe)" make connection to database ? or only "database project" can make connection to database ? How do i make connection to database(MS Access/Foxpro) and perform sql using MFC Appwizard(exe) with ODBC --CDatabase? Any sample code ? Thanks. CBTan wrote: > Hi, > > When we select new project ,can "MFC AppWizard(exe)" make connection > to database ? or only "database project" can make connection to > database ? > > How do i make connection to database(MS Acce...

How to connect MS Access form to MS SQL Server
Hello all I created an application which use MS Access 2000 as user interface and MS SQL Server 2000 as backend. If I want to get data from MS SQL Sever 2000 and display them on the MS Access 2000 form, where do I set the database connection to the form (i.e. tell the form to get data from MS SQL server database)? Thanks Bon In Windows control panel, admin tools, data sources (ODBC), create a system DSN of type SQL server and fill in the parameters for your SQL database. In Access, select file / get external data, files of type ODBC. Select machine data source, select the DSN you create...

Web resources about - MS Access 2002 - query form control returns funny symbols like [][] - comp.databases.ms-access

Back to school tech – who controls your gadgets?
Does your kid's school deny you admin rights on your own devices?

OxygenOS 2.2.0 rolling out for OnePlus X with manual camera controls, save to SD card options, more
Following the official launch of OxygenOS 2.1.4 for the original OnePlus One, the manufacturer is now pushing out a new software update for its ...

Megyn Kelly on Donald Trump: ‘He Doesn’t Get to Control the Media’
... again, he was told repeatedly our debate team is settled and then came that Instagram video he put out today.” “Trump is not used to not controlling ...

Be a Genius and take back control of your Safari browsing experience
Ever since Apple allowed the use of Safari content blockers in iOS 9 , a great many apps have been released to give users the ability to control ...

Comcast and Charter may soon control 70% of 25Mbps Internet subscriptions
... is allowed to buy cable rivals Time Warner Cable (TWC) and Bright House Networks (BHN), just two Internet service providers could control about ...

Twitter goes into damage control as four top executives abruptly leave the company
When Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey was named permanent CEO of the company this past October, it was assumed there would be some growing pains. ...

"Temporary" Capital Controls Coming to China?
... It still has about $3.3 trillion left according to estimates, but China cannot keep the current pace up forever. "Temporary" Capital Controls ...

This armband allows amputees to control their prosthetics in a futuristic new way
The Myo armband picks up subtle muscle gestures that can control prosthetics through Bluetooth. While the technology was developed for motion ...

'Capital controls won't fix yuan dilemma'
China faces pressure to use capital controls to prevent a yuan drop, but it should seek other solutions, the former IMF China division chief ...