MS Access Application security

Hi

i have read about the user level security in MS access. But i would
like to find out how it is possible to secure a database application. I
have a leave (or vacation) record system.

My data is in DB1.MDB and the rest of the objects reside in DB2.MDB. I
would like to use WinXP login ID to determine the user and use this to
make sure the staff is allowed to update / request his own record and
not others. I am able to determine the user ID in the VBScript. But i
do not know how can i enforce it. The only purpose is to retain WinXP
userid and to give user specific privilege to update the DB only.My
purpose is primarily to avoid creating another set of pwd for the users
to remember.

For some advice please.
Thank you.
Boon Yiang

0
chuaby (13)

<chuaby@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> i have read about the user level security in MS access. But i would
> like to find out how it is possible to secure a database application. I
> have a leave (or vacation) record system.
>
> My data is in DB1.MDB and the rest of the objects reside in DB2.MDB. I
> would like to use WinXP login ID to determine the user and use this to
> make sure the staff is allowed to update / request his own record and
> not others. I am able to determine the user ID in the VBScript. But i
> do not know how can i enforce it. The only purpose is to retain WinXP
> userid and to give user specific privilege to update the DB only.My
> purpose is primarily to avoid creating another set of pwd for the users
> to remember.
>
> For some advice please.
> Thank you.
> Boon Yiang

You're asking in the wrong group.  Have a look around
microsoft.public.access.security, there's a wealth of information on there
and it's just what you're looking for.

Regards,

Keith.

www.keithwilby.com

0
here9 (1031)

Replicated Application MS Access database
A client has a split database. However, the frontend is replicated. Since both frontend databases(replicated + DM)are both on same network drive, we would like to remove the replication of the front end. Can we just delete one of them and point the shortcut to open the other? *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Eric L <bopamax@yahoo.com> wrote in news:48da67f8$0$89386$815e3792@news.qwest.net: > A client has a split database. However, the frontend is > replicated. Since both frontend databases(replicated + DM)are both > on same network drive, we would like to remove the replication of > the front end. Can we just delete one of them and point the > shortcut to open the other? See question 10 here: http://dfenton.com/DFA/Replication/index.php?title=FAQ -- David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/ usenet at dfenton dot com http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/ Eric L <bopamax@yahoo.com> wrote in news:48da67f8$0$89386$815e3792@news.qwest.net: > A client has a split database. However, the frontend is > replicated. Since both frontend databases(replicated + DM)are both > on same network drive, we would like to remove the replication of > the front end. Can we just delete one of them and point the > shortcut to open the other? BTW, front ends should never ever be replicated in the first place because Jet Replication works reliably in the long run only with pure Jet objects (tables and queries)....

Problem with MS Access 97 database security
All, I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access 97 database applications that support production and order fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following problems: 1) no one can make modifications to the database except by logging in using the database creator's userid and password on the workstation used by that person, who has of course left the company. Anyone else who tries to access the database, even the system administrator, gets the message "You dont have the nececssary permissions to use the xxxxxxxxx object.Have your system administrator or the person who created the object establish the appropriate permissions for you." 2) We logged in and "added" another person with the same permissions as the creator for all database objects, except we did not change the database object "ownerships", and the problem still persists. I suspect that the ownerships are the problem. Is this so? 3) I dont know anything about the restriction to a particular machine. Can anyone enlighten me on this issue? TIA JL <jliebman@kjlsoftware.com> wrote in message news:1176986756.146353.213270@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > All, > > I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access > 97 database applications that support production and order > fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following > problems: > > 1) no one can make modifications ...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

Please, recommend me an application to read (only) Ms-Access databases.
Dear friends: Please, recommend me a Mac application to read (only) Ms-Access databases. Thanks Juan I. Cahis Santiago de Chile (South America) Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it! In article <037m241jvlm60fde84o0ebacfijpda8k22@4ax.com>, Juan I. Cahis <jiclbchSINBASURA@attglobal.net> wrote: > Dear friends: > > Please, recommend me a Mac application to read (only) Ms-Access > databases. <http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=read+access+data base+macintosh&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8> -- Woodworking ...

Problem with MS Access 97 database security #2
[...]

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

MS Access Application
I have written an MS Access Application which tracks employee time and produces reports. It saves calculating hours based on time in and time out. I call it PUNCH CLOCK. It is very usefull and we use in in our business of 7 employees. The closest competition sells for $50. I have no experience selling programs: Anyone want to partner or buy out the kernel? Write to David dk0146@yahoo.com I'm in St Louis, MO First of all, isn't it a bit much to refer to your program as a kernel. Second, if you want to sell your app retail the Access front-end will cause you much headache. I ...

Web resources about - MS Access Application security - comp.databases.ms-access

Patent application could see the Apple Watch calling 911 when it detects a heart-attack
A patent application describes how the Apple Watch and iPhone could work together to detect medical emergencies like a heart attack, and automatically ...

Donald Trump is causing a spike in naturalization applications among Latino immigrants
... report published today in the New York Times, Donald Trump’s overtly racist rhetoric against Latinos has led to a spike in naturalization applications ...

Google now accepting applications for open source Summer of Code 2016
... of selection. Our Student Manual provides lots of helpful advice to get you started on choosing an organization and crafting a great application". ...

Introducing Analytics for Google Cast Applications
... Engineer on the Google Cast Server Infrastructure Team As a Google Cast developer, you may be wondering how many devices access your application, ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 33% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Continue to Drop in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 3.3 percent from one week ...

PDF: Application essays by CPD superintendent finalists
C2E2, meet Kristin Cavallari and 20+ other things to do this weekend Breaking News News Local news Breaking News PDF: Application essays by CPD ...

Mortgage applications eke out gain
A growing divide in the mortgage market has emerged between refinance applications and those needed to purchase a home.

IDG Contributor Network: GoDaddy goes cloud, and throws in applications for good measure
GoDaddy is a funny beast. On the one hand the hosting business is huge, boasting 14 million customers worldwide and managing over 60 million ...

Want To Fly A Passenger Jet? JetBlue Is Now Taking Applications From Novice Pilots
Tired of the daily grind, and yearning to spend your work hours among the clouds, using a public address system to tell people to sit back, relax, ...