MS Access conversion to MS SQL

Hi,
I've been developing a database for a department in a local
organisation. The database is in Microsoft Access and uses tables,
queries, forms and reports. Written into the forms is vast amounts of
visual basic. There are also a couple of macros.

In the time I've been developing this database (a year now, as I went
back to university, and then finished university and returned to
finish off the DB) the organisation I've been working for have decided
to start using MS SQL. The department I am working for aren't to happy
as not only my database but most of theirs are in Access and no one
seems to have actually used SQL or know anything much about it.

Basically, I need to learn about how to convert from Access to SQL. I
understand we use the upsizing wizard. I've managed to track down some
of the rules I have to use in the conversion (like no spaces in names,
no apostrophes etc), but I'd like to know if anyone could tell me more
about the upsizing procedure. I'm also concerned about the vast
amounts of forms I've made (It's a 109mb database with no data - all
down to the forms!). What happens to these? Does SQL use forms, or
will all of these be lost? And what about queries?

Any information from someone who has knowledge of these things would
be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Stu.

Hiya,

An account of how I did it can be found at:

http://www.cooldigitec.co.uk/NJW/15-AccessToSQLServer7.html

Basically,

1. Close all database objects and use the upsizing wizard.
(Tools -> Database Utilities -> Upsizing Wizard)

2. Follow the options, when you get to an option for which table
attributes to upsize, uncheck everything. This will upload the structure
only.

3. Open up Enterprise Manager and go to the table you just upsized and
set the relevant Indexes and keys. (Note: If you upsized the indexes in
step 2, they wont work properly.)

4. In Enterprise Manager use Data Transformation Services (DTS) to pull
the data into the table.
(Tools -> Data Transformation Services -> Import Data)

--
HTH

Nath

(Email mangling obvious)

chanester (17)
8/5/2003 10:53:08 AM
Why don't you split the databases?
Leave the front-end in MS Access and change the back-end to SQL Server.
Access 2000 or higher ships with MSDE (a crippled SQL Server engine)
You could experiment with parts of SQL server without having the expense.

Another option is to convert the forms & reports over to Visual Basic.

Art

"Stuart Clark" <stuart_clark@easthants.gov.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I've been developing a database for a department in a local
> organisation. The database is in Microsoft Access and uses tables,
> queries, forms and reports. Written into the forms is vast amounts of
> visual basic. There are also a couple of macros.
>
> In the time I've been developing this database (a year now, as I went
> back to university, and then finished university and returned to
> finish off the DB) the organisation I've been working for have decided
> to start using MS SQL. The department I am working for aren't to happy
> as not only my database but most of theirs are in Access and no one
> seems to have actually used SQL or know anything much about it.
>
> Basically, I need to learn about how to convert from Access to SQL. I
> understand we use the upsizing wizard. I've managed to track down some
> of the rules I have to use in the conversion (like no spaces in names,
> no apostrophes etc), but I'd like to know if anyone could tell me more
> about the upsizing procedure. I'm also concerned about the vast
> amounts of forms I've made (It's a 109mb database with no data - all
> down to the forms!). What happens to these? Does SQL use forms, or
> will all of these be lost? And what about queries?
>
> Any information from someone who has knowledge of these things would
> be greatly appreciated!
>
> Many thanks,
> Stu.

0
aeyates (4)
8/5/2003 12:11:38 PM
stuart_clark@easthants.gov.uk (Stuart Clark) wrote:

>In the time I've been developing this database (a year now, as I went
>back to university, and then finished university and returned to
>finish off the DB) the organisation I've been working for have decided
>to start using MS SQL. The department I am working for aren't to happy
>as not only my database but most of theirs are in Access and no one
>seems to have actually used SQL or know anything much about it.
>
>Basically, I need to learn about how to convert from Access to SQL.

Do a search at the Knowledge Base at support.microsoft.com using the keywords
"upsizing" to review the various white papers on upsizing Access to SQL Server as
well as to ensure you have any updates required.

Also see my Random Thoughts on SQL Server Upsizing from Microsoft Access Tips page at
my website.

>but I'd like to know if anyone could tell me more
>about the upsizing procedure. I'm also concerned about the vast
>amounts of forms I've made (It's a 109mb database with no data - all
>down to the forms!).

That's quite large for forms only.  Do you have embedded graphics on the forms?

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
stuart_clark@easthants.gov.uk (Stuart Clark) wrote:

>Thanks - I hadn't heard about MSDE - I'll give that a try if they've
>installed it. The experience would be pretty useful. They've actually
>already got SQL Server - but I don't yet have access to it!

If they already have SQL Server then you don't need to worry about MSDE.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
0
ttoews (2789)

conversion of ms access 97 application to ms access 2000
hi access gurus would appreciate if u can give me pointers regarding conversion of ms access 97 application to ms access 2000, like what are the problems to be expected and how to handle it. also would appreciate if anyone can give pointers on using VSS with ms access 2000, how to handle multiuser issues when it comes to insert, update and delete. thanx in advance, regards bala balkiicbe@yahoo.com (bala) wrote in message news:<b62a781b.0310080544.6d2a08fc@posting.google.com>... > hi access gurus > > would appreciate if u can give me pointers regarding conversion of ms > access 97 application to ms access 2000, like what are the problems to > be expected and how to handle it. > > also would appreciate if anyone can give pointers on using VSS with ms > access 2000, how to handle multiuser issues when it comes to insert, > update and delete. > > thanx in advance, > > regards > bala About the only thing that's seriously different when you upgrade from 97 to 2000 is that if you have any code behind your forms, 97 uses DAO and 2000 uses ADO, so the ADO library is registered by default in 2000. You'll just have to unregister it and register DAo 3.6 instead. Access should do the conversion for you... hi Pieter thanx for the information, well have used ADO in ms access 97 so i think the conversion shouldn't be a problem. take care and best of luck regards bala ...

Should I upgrade from MS Access 97 to MS Access 2002
Hi guys My company has in one of their products used Access 97 and MS JET 3.5 for several years now. Should we move the database to Access 2002 -which we use now in other parts of the company and also upgrade the MS JET to the latest version? And what does MS JET do? Kjell Arne Johansen MS Jet is the database engine that comes with, and is, by default, used by Microsoft Access. If you aren't having any troubles with the Access 97 database, then there isn't any technical reason to change. There may be company political reasons if, say, the IT department only wants to have one version of Access in-house. Another reason might be if you were concerned about getting support (error fix support) from Microsoft. Then again, when is the last time you had to call Microsoft support for this database? Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP "Kjell Arne Johansen" <kjell.arne.johansen@kongsberg-simrad.com> wrote in message news:3f2f8600.699258150@news.eunet.no... > Hi guys > > My company has in one of their products used Access 97 and MS JET 3.5 > for several years now. > > Should we move the database to Access 2002 -which we use now in other > parts of the company and also upgrade the MS JET to the latest > version? > > And what does MS JET do? > > Kjell Arne Johansen "Kjell Arne Johansen" <kjell.arne.johansen@kongsberg-simrad.com> wrote in message news:3f2f8600.699258150@news.eunet.no... > Hi gu...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work > in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Allen Browne has an excellent calendar control at http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Thanks for the link...

JDBC+Linux -> MS Access/MS SQL??
I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database, however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and Linux. I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,.... However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to configure. Do anyone can give me a solution? Thanks Vincent You can try the jTDS driver (http://sourceforge.net/projects/jtds), performs really good. Or you can buy some other jdbc driver for MS SQL Server. /Klas "Vincent Ho" <vincenthkh@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:fb01e579.0308061746.3bf10a6b@posting.google.com... > I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database, > however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and > Linux. > I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,.... > However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to > configure. > Do anyone can give me a solution? > > Thanks > Vincent Vincent Ho wrote: > I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database, > however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and > Linux. > I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,.... > However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to > configure. > Do anyone can give me a solution? > > Thanks > Vincent Accessing SQL server from ...

MS SQL to MS Access Stored Proc. for Deletes
I have this stored procedure below that works great in SQL Server. The sql purges rows out of a table, leaving "x" # of rows in the table ("x" = s.RetainHistoryNum below). Now I need it to run in MS Access. The thing that throws me off is the multiple "from" statements. I have tried a dozen different queries, nothing seems to do the trick. Either I end up with an syntax error, or I end up with inaccurate results. Dan -------------------------------------------------- -Here is the stored proc I need to work in Access -------------------------------------------------- DELETE FROM ScheduleHistory FROM Schedule s WHERE ( SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ScheduleHistory sh WHERE sh.ScheduleID = ScheduleHistory.ScheduleID AND sh.ScheduleID = s.ScheduleID AND sh.StartDate >= ScheduleHistory.StartDate ) > s.RetainHistoryNum ---------------------------- -Here are the tables: ---------------------------- CREATE TABLE Schedule ( ScheduleID COUNTER CONSTRAINT PK_ScheduleID PRIMARY KEY, TypeFullName TEXT (200) NULL , TimeLapse INTEGER NULL , TimeLapseMeasurement TEXT (2) NULL , RetryTimeLapse INTEGER NULL , RetryTimeLapseMeasurement TEXT (2) NULL , RetainHistoryNum INTEGER NULL , AttachToEvent TEXT (50) NULL , CatchUpEnabled BIT NULL , Enabled BIT NULL , ObjectDependencies MEMO NULL); GO CREATE TABLE ScheduleHistory ( ScheduleHistoryID COUNTER CONSTRAINT PK_ScheduleHistoryID PRIMARY KEY, ScheduleID INT...

How to connect MS Access form to MS SQL Server
Hello all I created an application which use MS Access 2000 as user interface and MS SQL Server 2000 as backend. If I want to get data from MS SQL Sever 2000 and display them on the MS Access 2000 form, where do I set the database connection to the form (i.e. tell the form to get data from MS SQL server database)? Thanks Bon In Windows control panel, admin tools, data sources (ODBC), create a system DSN of type SQL server and fill in the parameters for your SQL database. In Access, select file / get external data, files of type ODBC. Select machine data source, select the DSN you created and the table(s) you need. ...

left() and right() function in MS SQL vs MS ACCESS
I normally use MS ACCESS vs MS SQL,, which has a left() and right() function. I need to use MS SQL for this project but I am not familiar with it. I have read a few books, but can not figure out how to do this. Please help. If I need to compare the first 4 letters of a field, with the first four letters of another field, how can I do this? Select field1, field2 FROM table1 Where left(field1,4)=left(field2,4) (MS SQL does not have left() and right() functions) Please help. In addition, I have a CSV file with data like 10.20, which I import inrto a numberic field. Unforunately the value...

copying data from MS-SQL to MS-Access using VB.Net
Hi there, I'm trying to use MSAccess as a "container" to move data around from one MS-SQL server DB to another. This is basically already a design decision that has been made for a lot of reasons and can't be changed by me. What I was wondering is what is the bet way to populate the MS-Access DB. The DB will only contain 6 tables which will have a very small amount of data in them. I have tried to use ADO.Net to read the data from MS-SQL into a DataTable and then save it into the MS-Access DB using again using a DataTable populated from the first, but I can't seem to ge...

Permissions Issue when linking to MS SQL 2000 DB from MS Access XP
Hello, We have a database in MS SQL 2000 and I'm trying to link to it from MS Access XP. I've created a user with full access to one specific table in the MS SQL database, but Access won't write to it. I can open this table in MS Query Analyzer and log-in as the user, and I can do update, delete, and select queries just fine... but when I link to the table from MS Access using the same MS SQL username/password, I can only read the data... no write or delete. Since I can update data fine in MS Query Analyzer, I assume permissions are setup properly. Anyone know why I can not ed...

ODBC connection
Hello all! I have such question to all of you. I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing query based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked but imported to MS Access? Can you answer this question? Thank you in advance for posts Marcin from Poland. On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:23:48 +0200, "Kamyk" <marcinzmyslowski@poczta.onet.pl> wrote: >Hello all! > >I have such question to all of you. >I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing >query >based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than >the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked >but >imported to MS Access? > >Can you answer this question? > >Thank you in advance for posts >Marcin from Poland. > That depends on a lot of things... The most obvious thing it depends on is the size of the result set. In a client/server arrangement, you want to keep result sizes down, and do aggregation and filtering on the server. Next, how many people will be sharing the back-end data. Access slows down as soon as 2 people are sharing a JET back-end, but the server won't have this limitation. On the other hand, if the server is too slow, or you're trying to use MSDE with more users than it's optimized for, the server will be slow. There are m...

what is equivalent of format(date) function of MS Access in MS Sql Server 2000
Hi All, I am facing a problem with a sql what i used in MS Access but its not returning the same result in MS Sql Server 2000. Here i am giving the sql: SELECT TOP 3 format( MY_DATE, "dddd mm, yyyy" ) FROM MY_TAB WHERE MY_ID=1 The above sql in ACCESS return me the date in below format in one column: Friday 09, 2003 But in Sql server 2000 i am not getting the same format eventhough i am using convert function, date part function etc. Please if you find the solution would be helpful for me.. Thanks Hoque Hi If you field is a datetime, you can use the CONVERT function to conver...

Wanted
I am wanting to be able to write reports against an ms-access database that is part of another package. I only want to report from the database. What I need is a package that will allow me to create the reports and then be able to distribute a run-time version. The client may not have Office so the package must run standalone. It could get to the Access database through an ODBC driver. Does anyone know what packages available? It looks like Crystal Reports has taken out their runtime version with their latest software but that was only a footnote in a book that I was reading. Please provide me with a list to start researching. Thanks, Joe There used to be other third-party report writers, but I don't know how many have survived over the years -- Crystal Reports appears to have been the most popular of these packages. (It is the only one that I have observed closely in use, and I saw some impressive work done with it on web applications against SQL Server.) Unless the magnitude of the distributable would be a problem, you can create your reports in Access, and distribute the Access application to run them with Access' runtime support. You'll get the Access runtime support in the Office Developer Edition for Access 97 - 2002, and in the Visual Studio.NET Tools for Office 2003 System for Access 2003. If you have difficulties with deployment using only the Packaging and Distribution Wizard, you can use a third-party installer such as Wise InstallMaster or Instal...

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); ----------------------------------- The error message I got is: "Unknown connection option in connection string: driver." for str_1 and " Unknown connection option in connection string: provider." for str_2 So I am wondering, where is the problem? Is it because my connection string for MS Access is specified wrongly? Or is it because I cannot use SqlHelper to access the MS Access database? ( I have used SqlHelper class to access the MS SQL server, and it works) Your help will be greatly appreciated. James James wrote: > Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine > in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. > > But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application > Blocks to access the database. > > I have tried 2 possible connection strings. > > ----------------------------------------- > ...

Web resources about - MS Access conversion to MS SQL - comp.databases.ms-access

Gene conversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gene conversion is the process by which one DNA sequence replaces a homologous sequence such that the sequences become identical after the conversion ...

Facebook Expanding Access to Conversion Lift Measurement
Facebook launched conversion lift measurement in January 2015 with the goal of helping advertisers track conversions instead of clicks, and the ...

Ex-gay conversion therapy challenged in federal consumer fraud lawsuit
... a federal consumer fraud complaint with the Federal Trade Commission against People Can Change, an organization that practices ex-gay conversion ...

10 Copywriting Tips You Can Use Right Now To Boost Conversion Rates
Writing great content is quite possibly the quickest and most cost-effective way to increase your conversion rates. Great content creates engagement ...

Hail Caesar! The 'other' Roman Centurion conversion movie is a bizarre, self-satisfied mess
Martin Saunders went to see 'Hail Caesar!', and found the whole thing incredibly disappointing.

First Solar Achieves New Conversion Efficiency World Record For CdTe Solar PV Cells
Originally published on Sustainnovate. By Henry Lindon A new conversion efficiency world record for cadmium-telluride solar photovoltaic cells ...

A Response To Jonah Goldberg On His Mistaken Claim Of My Trumpine Conversion
I prefer an economic-growth solution to middle-class angst, not a protectionist program.

What Is the Difference Between the Conversion and Recharacterization of an IRA?
... there are certain rules and tax implications you need to know about. Photo: www.TaxCredits.net . When it comes to IRAs, the terms "conversion" ...

Nanorods Of Photocatalysts Achieve 100% Conversion From Solar Energy To Solar Fuel
Scientists in Israel have developed nanorods of photocataytic material that converts 100% of solar energy into hydrogen gas by reducing the rate ...

TODD STARNES: Students told to write essay on their conversion to Islam
TODD STARNES: Students told to write essay on their conversion to Islam