Ms. Access database problem

Hello,
I have a MS. Access database in XP.  When I open the database in design
view, users will get an error message & cannot even open the database.
Is there any way to solve this problem?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Orchid

0
yhtong86 (40)

What error message?  Did you try the standard compact/repair routine?

0
pietlinden (2926)
3/30/2005 12:31:00 AM
Thanks for your reply!
The error message is: "The database has been placed in a state by user
'Admin' on machine 'Name' that prevents it from being opened or
locked."

Yeah, I tried the standard compact/repair routine, (which is under
Tool, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair Database...)but still got
the same error message.

0
yhtong86 (40)
3/30/2005 2:55:42 PM
"Orchid" <yhtong86@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<1112194542.469115.105910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>...
> Thanks for your reply!
> The error message is: "The database has been placed in a state by user
> 'Admin' on machine 'Name' that prevents it from being opened or
> locked."
>
> Yeah, I tried the standard compact/repair routine, (which is under
> Tool, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair Database...)but still got
> the same error message.

try deleting the *.ldb file on the machine that has it opened or locked.
0
khayman_v (3)
3/30/2005 7:10:26 PM
Orchid wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a MS. Access database in XP.  When I open the database in design
> view, users will get an error message & cannot even open the database.
> Is there any way to solve this problem?

No.  Do you really want users to be getting into the database when you
are doing design work on it?

IS this a back end database or is it an application that everyone
accesses on a network?
--
Tim    http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~tmarshal/
^o<

Is there any way that the users can open the database even I am on the
design view? Is it dealing with Security of the database?

Your help is appreciated!

Regards,
Orchid

0
yhtong86 (40)
3/30/2005 7:37:49 PM
I want the users to be able to log into the database at any time even
when I am working on the design view.  I want to eliminate the calls
from users saying they cannot open the database.

The database is on the network share drive.  I have the database set up
that the users cannot view the design views,tables, and queries.  When
they open the database, they will see a form & double click from a list
to open forms & reports.   so is it consider to be an application?  I
am not sure.

0
yhtong86 (40)
3/30/2005 10:13:29 PM
Orchid,
Look for JetComp on Microsoft's web site.  It isn't a sure thing but there
are .mdb's that it will recover which cannot be recovered by Access.  It's
free and it it works, very cool.

--
Alan Webb
knoNOgeek@SPAMhotmail.com

>I tried to delete the *.ldb file, but got error message: "It is being
> used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be
> using the file and try again."
> The *.ldb is a file automatically created after opening a *mdb file in
> a directory, once the *mdb file is closed, the *ldb file is disappear.
>
> Is there any way that the users can open the database even I am on the
> design view? Is it dealing with Security of the database?
>
> Your help is appreciated!
>
> Regards,
> Orchid

0
knogeek (392)
3/31/2005 2:06:13 PM
Orchid wrote:

>I want the users to be able to log into the database at any time even
>when I am working on the design view.  I want to eliminate the calls
>from users saying they cannot open the database.
>
>The database is on the network share drive.  I have the database set up
>that the users cannot view the design views,tables, and queries.  When
>they open the database, they will see a form & double click from a list
>to open forms & reports.   so is it consider to be an application?  I
>am not sure.

You need to split the database into a front-end and a back-end.
The FE will contain the Forms, Queries, Macros, Reports and Modules.
The BE will contrin only the tables.
Put the BE on the network and the FE on each users pc.
Link the FE to the BE.

This way you can make changes to your copy of the FE and then give each user
an new compy when you have completed making you changes.

Ron

--
Ronald W. Roberts
Roberts Communication

0
rwr (48)
3/31/2005 2:19:57 PM
"Orchid" <yhtong86@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<1112220809.905390.4100@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>...
> I want the users to be able to log into the database at any time even
> when I am working on the design view.  I want to eliminate the calls
> from users saying they cannot open the database.
>
> The database is on the network share drive.  I have the database set up
> that the users cannot view the design views,tables, and queries.  When
> they open the database, they will see a form & double click from a list
> to open forms & reports.   so is it consider to be an application?  I
> am not sure.

Has this worked before where you are in design view and others can
open the database without the error?  If not maybe being in design
view locks the database.
0
khayman_v (3)
3/31/2005 6:41:02 PM
I have more than 15 users & in different locations.  It will be a
headache of doing the copies to each of them.  Is there any other way?
Thanks for your help!

0
yhtong86 (40)
3/31/2005 10:14:12 PM
No, it always has problem to open the database if the design view is
open.

0
yhtong86 (40)
3/31/2005 10:16:19 PM
Orchid,

Are you saying that the users all have theie own versions of the
database at their own locations? If not, and you actually have all the
users going into the same database on a network location then there is
a recommended way of handling this.

You create the database as you have done but once complete (as it will
be at the moment) you take a copy of it and empty all data from it.

This copy has all its tables removed and you then LINK to the tables in
the full database.

Then you go back to the main database and remove all the forms and
other rubbish, leaving only the data (alternatively you can leave it
all here but it means maintaining the forms etc. in two places.)

You then do one of two things. You either instruct your users to copy
the front end (with the linked tables) to their own PCs and double
click on that file and NOT the one on the network, OR you create a
function to do this for them.

I would create a new function in the server end database (with the
actual data) that is run on startup, that copies the current server
version of the front end (with the linked tables) to their local C
drive and then closes the main database (unless it is you of course...
you can learn about that later)

You could then think about version control, you now have a database
that is being properly accessed by your users using a recommended and
safe method. You want users to be using the latest version of the front
end, so you could automate a version detection that would give you a
new copy of the front end if you are out of date. This has been done
before and i'm pretty sure that there is some info on
www.mvps.com...probably...

That is all for now as many others should follow on with their
recommendations...

P.S. if you let more than about 10 people go into a server based
database you will probably kill it very quickly and need a lot of time
and energy to keep recovering it...

P.P.S. If your database is stuck now and there are definitley no users
in it... you need to get the server admin to delete the .ldb file and
then you can try to repair/compact things.

P.P.P.S. you will at some point need to kick users out to maintain the
database... ALL databases have downtime at some point... even if they
are monster server systems with mirroring etc...

Good luck!!!

0
rmcgregor (99)
3/31/2005 11:06:36 PM
Thanks for you recommendations!!!
I have no problem to create the front-end & back-end databases.
However, I am new on doing this security.  How to create the function
to copy the database to their C drive & close the main database ? (is
the main database the Back-end database which with tables only)?   Do
you have any examples that I can take a look?  For the version control,
I will have 2 databases: 1) DB1 with the tables only for the back-end;
2) DB2 is linked all the tables from back-end database (DB1) and with
all the queries, forms, reports, Macros, etc.   I will make changes on
DB2, so I don't need to worry about if the users are using latest
version or not.  Is that correct?
I had Network problem when opened this www.mvps.com...probably...   Any
other link?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!

0
yhtong86 (40)
4/1/2005 10:37:43 PM
Sorry the link got wierd on me... try...

http://www.mvps.com/access

Your description is good.

The function to copy your latest version of the FE (Front End) database
to their PC is going to be a function in the FE at any time.
The startup function of the FE database should check in the BE (Back
End) database for a value for the current version. If that is the same
version as the current one then all is okay to startup. If the version
is not the same then the FE needs to be shutdown and replaced with a
new version. The problem is in how to run code when you're shutting
down the FE database that contains the code.

I have to admit that i have only viewed other examples of this having
never needed to force this control over users. You should search around
this newsgroup and at mvps for examples but there are several out
there.

It might be better to invest in training your users to copy the FE
themselves.

Good luck getting it sorted...

0
rmcgregor (99)
4/2/2005 8:04:45 PM
Sorry once more... it's http://www.mvps.org/access/
Enjoy...

0
rmcgregor (99)
4/2/2005 9:01:12 PM
Thanks for your help and your time!  I am working on it.

0
yhtong86 (40)

Problem with MS Access Database
------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C56A17.539605A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I'm using wxWidgets now a long time for designig my applications. This weekend I tried first to use the Database classes, but I've got a problem with them... I've got an Microsoft Access Datenbase, with two tables: Orte(ID, Staat, Name, and so on) PLZOrte(ID, PLZ) This tables are set into a relationship. The field ID ist the primary key in Orte and set up the relation. Now I'd like to do a query to this database in my...

Problem with MS Access 97 database security
All, I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access 97 database applications that support production and order fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following problems: 1) no one can make modifications to the database except by logging in using the database creator's userid and password on the workstation used by that person, who has of course left the company. Anyone else who tries to access the database, even the system administrator, gets the message "You dont have the nececssary permissions to use the xxxxxxxxx object.Have your system administrator or the person who created the object establish the appropriate permissions for you." 2) We logged in and "added" another person with the same permissions as the creator for all database objects, except we did not change the database object "ownerships", and the problem still persists. I suspect that the ownerships are the problem. Is this so? 3) I dont know anything about the restriction to a particular machine. Can anyone enlighten me on this issue? TIA JL <jliebman@kjlsoftware.com> wrote in message news:1176986756.146353.213270@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > All, > > I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access > 97 database applications that support production and order > fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following > problems: > > 1) no one can make modifications ...

MS Access Script to import data from external mde database to mdb database
Hi, Does anyone know of a way I can write a script that imports a table from a particular .mde file? I don't seen any obvious way to do it as a macro. Any suggestions if it can be done as a macro or as a written module? My ultimate goal is to have script that clears info out of 1 table in an .mdb file, imports an identically structured table from a .mde file, runs an append query I have in place to copy the data from the imported table to the table in my.mbd file, and then delete the imported table. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes, George Hadley ghadley_00@yahoo.com With DBEngine(0)(0) .Execute "DELETE * FROM Suppliers WHERE SupplierID IN (SELECT SupplierID FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers)" .Execute "INSERT INTO Suppliers SELECT * FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers" End With Is this code I would run as a module? Yes or you could use the strings in two separate saved queries. ...

databases.ms-access
hi for fun masti, fashion, articles,mobiles, cars etc plz visit these sites http://www.familypk.com http://www.enttwist.com thanks ...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

Problem concatenating memo fields in MS access database
I have an access database form where I have a button that is supposed to be appending the contents of 1 memo field to another is behaving non-predictably. The code is: Me![ToDo] = Me![ToDo] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies1] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies2] Me![Meds] = Me![MedsEntered] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![IVF] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Diet] DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70 Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Could there be a casting problem? (I just want to append the text of 1 field to another field - am I actually assigning objects this way?) Any help would be greatly appreciated. GH ghadley_00@yahoo.com I have managed this in a report without the $ sign e.g. =[FirstName] & " " & [lastname] & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & IIf([job title] Is Not Null,[job title] & Chr(13) & Chr(10),"") It does not use memo fields but I would think they would work OK? James <ghadley_00@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1131535433.245165.221450@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I have an access database form where I have a button that is supposed > to be appending the contents of 1 memo field to another is behaving > non-predictably. The code is: > > Me![ToDo] = Me![ToDo] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies1] & > Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies2] > Me![Meds] = Me![MedsEnter...

Web resources about - Ms. Access database problem - comp.databases.ms-access