MS Access Database with Remote Desktop - Multiple

Dear Access Guru's,

Hopefully you can help me (as Microsoft don't seem to be able to)

We have an Access database on a Windows 2003 server with 5 CALS in our
office.

Access is loaded onto the server.

We have 2 PC's connected to it on the LAN

We are planning to open 2 remote offices and we want to be able to use
the Access database at the remote offices as well as the local office.

I have tested the remote desktop to the server and it allows me to
connect and use the database.

How many remote desktops can I run to the server simultaneously?  Do i
need terminal services? Can I use Small Business Server?

If I run 2 plus the office connections can we all use the same database
at the same time?

Many thanks

James

I don't have an answer about "remote desktop" without Terminal Server, but
Access plays nicely with Windows Terminal Services. Each user should have
their own private disk space, and be running their own copy of the front-end
part of the application.

There are too many variables to tell you how many users can concurrently use
a database, some factors are: the hardware, software, and network
environment, and the requirements, design, and implementation of the
database application. If all are near-perfect, we have reports of over 100
concurrent users; we have also had reports of "Access falling over with as
few as 4 users" but I have to guess that in those cases, every factor was
just about as far from perfect as it could be.

Certainly, a "normal, well-conceived and well-implemented" database should
easily handle 20 or more users.

You should, of course, follow all the recommended practices: give each user
their own copy of the front end (queries, forms, reports, macros, modules,
and any local lookup tables) linked to tables in the back-end (tables, data,
and relationships).

The very best collection of links and information on performance and
avoiding corruption in a multiuser environment that I have found is MVP Tony
Toews' site at http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm.

Just for the record: you will need either to use the runtime support, or
have an Access license for each user who is running Access, even if they are
running remotely using Terminal Server.

   Larry Linson
   Microsoft Access MVP

"James" <jameshartley7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear Access Guru's,
>
> Hopefully you can help me (as Microsoft don't seem to be able to)
>
> We have an Access database on a Windows 2003 server with 5 CALS in our
> office.
>
> Access is loaded onto the server.
>
> We have 2 PC's connected to it on the LAN
>
> We are planning to open 2 remote offices and we want to be able to use
> the Access database at the remote offices as well as the local office.
>
> I have tested the remote desktop to the server and it allows me to
> connect and use the database.
>
> How many remote desktops can I run to the server simultaneously?  Do i
> need terminal services? Can I use Small Business Server?
>
> If I run 2 plus the office connections can we all use the same database
> at the same time?
>
> Many thanks
>

> James

0
bouncer (4168)
9/2/2005 8:48:02 PM
"James" <jameshartley7@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Hopefully you can help me (as Microsoft don't seem to be able to)
>
> We have an Access database on a Windows 2003 server with 5 CALS in
> our office.

Do you mean 5 Terminal Server CALs or 5 MS Office CALs?

> Access is loaded onto the server.
>
> We have 2 PC's connected to it on the LAN
>
> We are planning to open 2 remote offices and we want to be able to
> use the Access database at the remote offices as well as the local
> office.
>
> I have tested the remote desktop to the server and it allows me to
> connect and use the database.
>
> How many remote desktops can I run to the server simultaneously?

Depends on the amount of RAM and the bandwidth between your office
and the remote users.

> Do i need terminal services?

Terminal Server is a part of Win2K3 Server (as it was in Win2K
Server, as well). It is already installed. You may have to configure
it (it depends on how your server is currently set up), but you seem
to already be able to connect to it, so it's already up and running.

You'll need to buy the WTS CALs and install them. This is actually
not nearly as trivial as Microsoft makes it out to be, as you have
the choice between user-based CALs and device-based CALs. The former
is what MS expects you to have, because the license server doesn't
actually properly report the usage of user-based CALs. It can also
be a pain to get the license server working in the first place. I
don't remember the details, but one of my clients had major problems
with it last January. It was something really stupid that was MS's
fault, but I can't quite recall the specifics right now. The result
was that it was reporting that our CALs were out of date and would
be expiring (or had already expired).

> Can I use Small Business Server?

Last I checked, SBS did not support WTS except for the two default
access licenses for administrative use. If you have only two remote
users, you could perhaps get by with it, but you'd have to make them
administrators, as only those with adminstrative access can use
them. That's a dangerous thing to do, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I recently did a spec for a WTS server for a client and we couldn't
do SBS, and had to get Win2K3 Server Standard.

It's a moot point, of course, if you have more than 2 users.

> If I run 2 plus the office connections can we all use the same
> database at the same time?

Install Access on the workstations in the office and run it on the
workstations, not from Terminal Server. It would be crazy to run WTS
across a LAN, since you'd be using up WTS CALs that you don't need
to be using.

dfenton at bway dot net                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc
0
dXXXfenton (2542)

MS Access Script to import data from external mde database to mdb database
Hi, Does anyone know of a way I can write a script that imports a table from a particular .mde file? I don't seen any obvious way to do it as a macro. Any suggestions if it can be done as a macro or as a written module? My ultimate goal is to have script that clears info out of 1 table in an .mdb file, imports an identically structured table from a .mde file, runs an append query I have in place to copy the data from the imported table to the table in my.mbd file, and then delete the imported table. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes, George Hadley ghadley_00@yahoo.com With DBEngine(0)(0) .Execute "DELETE * FROM Suppliers WHERE SupplierID IN (SELECT SupplierID FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers)" .Execute "INSERT INTO Suppliers SELECT * FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers" End With Is this code I would run as a module? Yes or you could use the strings in two separate saved queries. ...

databases.ms-access
hi for fun masti, fashion, articles,mobiles, cars etc plz visit these sites http://www.familypk.com http://www.enttwist.com thanks ...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

Locked out from MS Access database
Hi All: Our company has been using a ms access 2000 database on a share drive, every user logs into the database using shortcut on individual desktop that goes to shared drive. Now today while making changes to the security ->User & Groups, my PC froze and when I restarted it says "You do not have permission to access this, Contact your administrator". I deleted the .ldb file, with no luck. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Viru Download the Security FAQ from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads -- it's the authoritative source for Access security information. Unfortunate...

Web resources about - MS Access Database with Remote Desktop - Multiple - comp.databases.ms-access