MS Access Forms and Reports Question

Hey folks,

I am trying to make a form that has a button linked to a report. Instead of
when pressing the button just bringing up the specific records information,
it is searching the whole table that the form is linked to and bringing that
up in the report.

I know there is a way to just print the selected record in the form and turn
that into a report and print that. Does anyone know how to do this? Does a
query need to be made?  I tried searching the help files to no avail.  I
have done this before a long time ago, I just don't remember how.

Thanks

Allison

0
pls.dont (1)

Allison wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I am trying to make a form that has a button linked to a report.
> Instead of when pressing the button just bringing up the specific
> records information, it is searching the whole table that the form is
> linked to and bringing that up in the report.
>
> I know there is a way to just print the selected record in the form
> and turn that into a report and print that. Does anyone know how to
> do this? Does a query need to be made?  I tried searching the help
> files to no avail.  I have done this before a long time ago, I just
> don't remember how.
> Thanks
>
> Allison

It is very common in Access to need to...

Open a Form pre-filtered based on the value of one or more controls on the
current form.

Open a Report pre-filtered based on the value of one or more controls on the
current form.

Even though these are both about as common, the New Command Button wizard only
provides a method to build for you a button that does this for Forms.  Why they
don't provide a wizard to do this for reports has always baffled me.

The resulting syntax is almost exactly the same.  If you look at the code in the
Click event of your existing button that opens your report you will see that it
uses the OpenReport method of the DoCmd object.  That method has an optional
WHERE argument that can be used to apply a filter to the report being opened.
All you have to do is populate that argument including references to controls on
your form.  Here is a simple example where the form and report both have a
common single numeric field [ID] to be used for the filter.

DoCmd.OpenReport "ReportName", acViewPreview, , "ID = " & Me!ID

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
9/24/2006 12:21:07 PM
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 15:44:49 +1000, Allison wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I am trying to make a form that has a button linked to a report. Instead of
> when pressing the button just bringing up the specific records information,
> it is searching the whole table that the form is linked to and bringing that
> up in the report.
>
> I know there is a way to just print the selected record in the form and turn
> that into a report and print that. Does anyone know how to do this? Does a
> query need to be made?  I tried searching the help files to no avail.  I
> have done this before a long time ago, I just don't remember how.
>
> Thanks
>
> Allison

Your table should have a unique prime key field.
In my example it is named [RecordID].

On the Form's command button's property sheet write
[Event Procedure]
on the Click event line.
Then click on the little button with 3 dots that will appear on that
line.
When the code window opens, the cursor will be flashing between 2
already existing lines of code.
Between those 2 lines write:

DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord
DoCmd.OpenReport "ReportName", acViewPreview, , "[RecordID] = " &
[RecordID]

The above assumes a [RecordID] field that is a Number Datatype.

If, however, [RecordID] is Text Datatype, then use:

DoCmd.OpenReport "ReportName", acViewPreview, ,"[RecordID] = '" &
[RecordID] & "'"

as the Where clause.

For clarity, the single and double quotes are..
"[RecordID] = ' " & [RecordID] & " ' "
Change [RecordID] to whatever the actual field name is that you are
using.

See VBA Help files for:
Where Clause + Restrict data to a subset of records'
--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.

MS Access Question for Access Gurus
I have one table called Album another table called Song One Album has many songs I created an Album form that contains a Song Subform. in the Song table I have a field id which is the primary key, and another field called index The song index is a number that represents the song number on the record. For example on the Beatle's Album: Abbey Road the song indices are as follows: Track Listings 1. Come Together 2. Something 3. Maxwell's Silver Hammer 4. Oh! Darling 5. Octopus's Garden 6. I Want You (She's So Heavy) 7. Here Comes the Sun ...

MS Access Report Question
I have a complet Access database and it is used for reporting to the goverment, what the reporting requirements are is to summarize how many people of what type we served, for example I have a Combo box with different races in them, i.e. White, African-American, Asian, etc. and I also have a date field associated with the record. What I would like is to summarize those fields by months. For example January White: 23 African American: 19 February White: 12 Asian: 23 Do you have anysuggestions on the best way to do this? I have tried reports, but it is confusing to do t...

Form size question with Access forms, remote desktop, and MS Surface Pro
Hi, I know this is a stretch to ask this question, but: We have an Access 2010 application hosted using Remote Desktop. When we access forms from the desktop they look like they should. And from an iPad. However, a client is using their Surface Pro the forms are so tiny that she can't use them when accessing our application "on the cloud". Otherwise, they look fine on a Surface Pro when running it off the cloud. Does anyone have an idea? I do not think there is anything that the people that are hosting our software can do. -paulw On Monday, 29 February 2016 17:30:11 UTC, PW wrote: > Hi, > > I know this is a stretch to ask this question, but: > > We have an Access 2010 application hosted using Remote Desktop. When > we access forms from the desktop they look like they should. And from > an iPad. However, a client is using their Surface Pro the forms are > so tiny that she can't use them when accessing our application "on the > cloud". Otherwise, they look fine on a Surface Pro when running it > off the cloud. > > Does anyone have an idea? I do not think there is anything that the > people that are hosting our software can do. > > -paulw It will cost you, but have a look at a program called "ShrinkerStrether from Peter's Software (http://www.peterssoftware.com/ss.htm) This should shrink or stretch forms and all their controls to match the scr...

Forms/Subforms in MS Access Database

ask me a question ms access databases
I will be willing to help, with access databases, in same order request is received. The web site is at www.jaxdatasolutions.com. This is for a limited time only. ivanmendoza@comcast.net (Ivan) wrote: >I will be willing to help, with access databases, in same order >request is received. The web site is at <snipped> This >is for a limited time only. Umm, hows about we ask questions in this newsgroup? Tony -- Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can read the entire thread of messages. Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips &...

paltalk MS ACCESS, general database questions
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C7AAE9.97F77F70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable www.Paltalk.com: Welcome to the ms access database programmer Group = unsha ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C7AAE9.97F77F70 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2180" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <DIV> <P><FONT face=3DArial>www.<A = href=3D"http://Paltalk.com">Paltalk.com</A>: Welcome to=20 the ms access database programmer Group = unsha</FONT></P></DIV></BODY></HTML> ------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C7AAE9.97F77F70-- ...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

MS Access reports containing line charts are inaccurate after upgrade from access 97 to 2000
Dear all, I've encountered an unusual problem having just recently upgraded an Access 97 database to Access 2000 format and was hoping somebody could point me in the direction of a solution. 1. The problem: Essentially, a couple of the reports which contain SeriesLine charts are NOT displaying the series-lines (i.e. the results) on the charts correctly in Preview mode or when printed out. However, they ARE displaying the results correctly on the charts when the reports are viewed in DESIGN mode. 2. Background: -I have upgraded the database from Access 97 to 2000 format with very ...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions
Without having enough time to analyze excatly, what are your needs: if there are no important reasons why the data must be keept in MS Access: why you don't keep it all in SAS? If you are analyzing in SAS, there is no real reason to have any other DB to hold the data. For users you have many possibilities to give them comfortable possibilities to enter data, in or outside SAS. In SAS, the most easy idea is to use SAS/FSP. But that is not necessary. You can use nearly any tool for data entry and bring the (standard formatted) data into SAS. To get a consultant for realizing a proper solution might be a good idea. It sometime is not easy trying to learn to program in SAS by developing a productive solution, because it might be not easy to get it in time with all the obstacles, there might be in your way. If you have time (and money) enough, you should take the chance to learn how to do some steps further in SAS programming together with a good consultant. On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:26:59 -0500, Rob Cheshire <rob.cheshire@NOAA.GOV> wrote: >Hi to all, > I need some help deciding on the best database system for our >specific application. >OPTIONAL INFO: We currently have 2 separate projects that need to be >updated from dos-based dBase. I'll only describe one of these but the >other is comparable in size. The project currently has about 32 >files. The 2 largest are about 30,000 records and 5 columns include >data from the last 30 yea...

Web resources about - MS Access Forms and Reports Question - comp.databases.ms-access

Salary expectations question: Best answers to give in a job interview
IT’S the awkward but crucial question in any job interview: “What are your salary expectations?”

Thirteen tough questions every couple should ask for a successful marriage
These intimate and sometimes awkward questions give couples a chance to spill secrets before it's too late.

Arnold Schwarzenegger terminates Weekend Sunrise interview after questions on US presidential campaign ...
He's famous for saying he'll be back, but Arnold Schwarzenegger may think twice about appearing on Weekend Sunrise again.

NDP, Tories question whether PM's new Senate picks can be truly independent
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is recommending the appointment of seven new senators. Although they will sit as independents, opposition MPs are ...

South Carolina police officer killed trying to question teen
A South Carolina police officer was shot and killed Friday as he and a partner were trying to question a self-professed gang member who they ...

"It’s a question every candidate for state Supreme Court is asked: Which U.S. Supreme Court justices ...
Writes the left/liberal Bill Lueders at the end of his Isthmus piece "Battle for the [Wisconsin Supreme] court/Bradley v. Kloppenburg is a classic ...

The question nobody dares to ask about strategy
Picture by Henrik Mårtensson I originally published this article at Linkedin Pulse : When I transitioned from my work as a developer and systems ...

17 former Google interview questions so ridiculous that the company banned them
Sometimes the hiring practices of even the most successful companies can feel outright wonky. There can be strange interview questions that ...

S.C. police officer killed trying to question teen
S.C. police officer killed trying to question teen