MS Access linked tables MYSQL

Hi Folks,

im using MS Access as a front end to link to MYSQL. although this is
possibly a MYSQL issue i thought someone would be able to help me. the
error message "ODBC--insert on a linked table 'tablname' failed" is
displayed when i attempt to insert records to the MYSQL table.

Does anyone know of a way round this ?? im using the most recent MYSQL
driver and i have only text fields in my insert statement. Is there an
Access setting or permission that i must change

thanks in advance

CG

<csgraham74@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> im using MS Access as a front end to link to MYSQL. although this is
> possibly a MYSQL issue i thought someone would be able to help me. the
> error message "ODBC--insert on a linked table 'tablname' failed" is
> displayed when i attempt to insert records to the MYSQL table.
>
> Does anyone know of a way round this ?? im using the most recent MYSQL
> driver and i have only text fields in my insert statement. Is there an
> Access setting or permission that i must change

Some server DBs require that you have a Primary Key defined on each Table
that you update -- I don't know if that is the case with MySQL. That should
be a quick thing to check.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

0
bouncer (4168)
5/15/2006 9:27:41 PM
You may be using a constraint in one of your fields (maybe a
relationship between two tables). When you are inserting data into the
table you aren't inserting it into the field with the constraint

0
chucher (6)
5/16/2006 3:04:42 PM
  csgraham74@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> im using MS Access as a front end to link to MYSQL. although this is
> possibly a MYSQL issue i thought someone would be able to help me. the
> error message "ODBC--insert on a linked table 'tablname' failed" is
> displayed when i attempt to insert records to the MYSQL table.
>
> Does anyone know of a way round this ?? im using the most recent MYSQL
> driver and i have only text fields in my insert statement. Is there an
> Access setting or permission that i must change

As Larry mentioned, you need to have a Primary Key defined in the Table.
If you don't have one, add in a new field of type INTEGER and set the
AUTO_INC. Make this your PK. You also need to create a TimeStamp field
(with a default value of CURRENT_TIMESTAMP) if you plan to edit the
records later (needed to control record locking).

--
Bri

0
not32 (1022)

Accessing Oracle Tables from MS Access
How difficult is this? I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to work. I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP. What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work: select id from emp I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point. Any help in how to get this done, or pointing me in the right direction of a book or website, would be greatly appreciated! berj Yes, I do have the table links working. But I did want to run the select for such things as grabbing the next number off of a sequence. As in: select test.nextval fro...

error: linking mysql tables (odbc) from ms-access: "Could not find installable ISAM"
I have been connecting to mysql tables from ms-access vba through odbc [MySQL] [ODBC 3.51 Driver] connection string and everything is ok. when I try to create a permanent link to mysql tables from ms-access menu > file > get external data > ODBC > user dsn, I get: =93ODBC call failed=94 error. when I try to create a permanent link from ms-access VBA ADOX, I get: "Could not find installable ISAM". when I search ISAM error I found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/209805/EN-= US/ article attributing error cause to unregistered dll, I have followed the 2 rec...

MS Access VBA making multiple tables in database from a main table.
I have a database table called "tbl_personal" and struggling to VBA program a bit of code to create multiple tables in a database from the main "tbl_personal" table. In this case the 'color' column is the field I would like to look at. 1. Identify the number of unique records in column 'color' 2. For each color record that is label as red in the "tbl_personal" table, create a table called 'red' and populate with all red records in from the "tbl_personal" table. 3.Then move onto the next unique color and repeat the whole process again. 4. When all unique color tables are created in MS Access database end with a msg "batch process done" name surname age color country aa aaa 1 red UK bb bbb 10 green USA cc ccc 20 blue China dd ddd 30 red Germany ee eee 40 green France ff fff 1 blue Italy gg ggg 20 red Spain hh hhh 40 yellow Canada ii iii 34 black Italy =85 Is this doable automatically in MS Access? Many thanks. brenda Are you sure you want to do this? I would expect 3 tables vis: Table of Personel with PersonelID, Suname, FirstName, ColourID, CountryID & DateOfBirth (Age will be out of date next birthday and should be calculated), Table of Colours ColourID & Colour Table of Countries CountryID & Country. You can then use simple queries to return all the red people or people who live in UK. Am I missing something? Phil <bbcdancer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:495c4ca6...

How to access MS-Access metadata tables (eg MSysObjects)
Dear all, I have an MS-Access MDB-file with hundreds of tables and want to know when they were created and/or modified. The MS-Access metadata table MSySObjects includes this information, but I have not managed to read it from SAS. (CLI describe error tells me that I have no reading access) --> Does anybody have a working code example for this? I have tried the libname ACCESS and Libname ODBC variants. Regards Dietrich -- DIETRICH ALTE, Dipl.-Statistiker, Dr. rer. med. Wiss. Projektmanager "Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP)" Institut f�r Community Medicine - SHIP/KEF EMA-Universit�t Greifswald - Medizinische Fakult�t Walther-Rathenau-Str. 48, D-17475 Greifswald, Germany URL ship.community-medicine.de Phone ++49(0)3834-867713, Fax ++49(0)3834-866684 ...

Blocking MS Access linked tables...
Good morning... I have an Access front end that uses SQL Server linked tables. SQL Server uses Windows authentication. I have one Windows group that all Access users are a member of. I added that group to SQL Server logins and gave it public, datareader, and datawriter rights to the one database that's used. My front end is locked down, but I want to stop users from creating a new ..mdb and linking SQL Server tables through DSNs or ADO connections or even just importing the links from the actual front end.. I've tried setting the "denydatareader" security policy - that k...

export database from MYSQL to Ms Access
Hi, I want to export database from MYSQL to Ms Access. Can anybody suggest me a way to do that. thank you, amar On Feb 16, 2:39 pm, contact.amaren...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I want to export database from MYSQL to Ms Access. Can anybody > suggest me a way to do that. > > thank you, > amar Install the MySQL ODBC driver: http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/ Create a system DSN for the MySQL database. Create a new Access database, then do File > Get External Data > Import... In the Import dialog click the "Files of type" drop-down and choose "ODBC Databases ()". In the "Select Data Source" dialog click the "Machine Data Source" , select the DSN you created, and click "OK". Select all of the tables and import them. ...

MS Access Linked table problem
Hi. I've got a strange problem with linked tables in MS Access. The linked tables are on SQL Server 2000, and the Access version is 2003. When any of the the column names contain a space, I get an "incorrect syntax" error. When the column names do not contain a space, the table opens OK. So I assume it's some problem with the ODBC connector. However, the ODBC version is the same as on another PC that can open the linked tables (same database) without any problems. Any ideas? Try wrapping your field names in square brackets. i.e. tablename! [field name]. -tc On Mar 4, 4:51=A0am, benb <Ben.Baw...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi. I've got a strange problem with linked tables in MS Access. > > The linked tables are on SQL Server 2000, and the Access version is > 2003. > > When any of the the column names contain a space, I get an "incorrect > syntax" error. When the column names do not contain a space, the table > opens OK. So I assume it's some problem with the ODBC connector. > However, the ODBC version is the same as on another PC that can open > the linked tables (same database) without any problems. > > Any ideas? ...

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name
i am not sure if SAS will support long file name if you use libname. a workaround is to use passthrough. On Jan 16, 2008 12:31 PM, JKamgang@Yahoo.com <JBKamgang@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear All, > > > > Happy New Year , > > > > Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS > Access > table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 > databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I > don't want to rename manually the table names. > > > > Please find the program below. > > > > Thanks in advance for your kind assistance, > > > > Jean Baptiste > > > > The program: > > - - - > > > > options VALIDVARNAME=ANY ; > > libname DBsource access 'S:\Data > Management\External\Projects\MTCT-Plus\MTCT-Plus November 2007 > Data\Programs\Data\MTCT-PlusData All.mdb'; > > /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ > > > > data* pedResultadd ; > > set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional'n (keep = > > testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2text > > ); > * > > run*; > > - - - The log - - > > 1636 > > 1637 /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ > > 1638 > > 1639 data pedResultadd ; > > 1640 set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional...

Re: How to access MS-Access metadata tables (eg MSysObjects)
The answer is given here: Problem Note 7495: No read permission on System Tables when using SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC with a Microsoft Access ODBC Driver http://support.sas.com/kb/7/495.html Regards Dietrich Dietrich Alte schrieb: > Dear all, > > I have an MS-Access MDB-file with hundreds of tables and want to know > when they were created and/or modified. > The MS-Access metadata table MSySObjects includes this information, > but I have not managed to read it from SAS. > (CLI describe error tells me that I have no reading access) > --> Does anybody have a working code example for this? > I have tried the libname ACCESS and Libname ODBC variants. > > Regards > > Dietrich > -- DIETRICH ALTE, Dipl.-Statistiker, Dr. rer. med. Wiss. Projektmanager "Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP)" Institut f�r Community Medicine - SHIP/KEF EMA-Universit�t Greifswald - Medizinische Fakult�t Walther-Rathenau-Str. 48, D-17475 Greifswald, Germany URL ship.community-medicine.de Phone ++49(0)3834-867713, Fax ++49(0)3834-866684 ...

Re: MS Access 2003: Linked Tables
Dear Informixers, a while ago I posted a question about a problem linking IDS 7.31UD8 tables into MS Access 2003 using the Informix ODBC driver from I-Connect 2.81TC3. This driver is in the file "iclit09b.dll" in the INFORMIXDIR\bin directory and has version # 3.82.0.11811. In the meantime, I found that the ODBC driver from the previous Connect version 2.81TC2 works; it has version # 3.82.0.11600. Just copying the older dll over the newer one did the job. I still wonder why IBM/Informix cannot get their act together and supply ODBC drivers that just work. From sporadic postings in this group, I gather that even the ODBC driver from the newest 2.90 program suite still has problems, especially with Access. However, from the low number of postings about this topic, I assume that not many peoply bother using Informix's driver... Regards, Richard Richard Spitz wrote: > I still wonder why IBM/Informix cannot get their act together and > supply ODBC drivers that just work. From sporadic postings in this > group, I gather that even the ODBC driver from the newest 2.90 > program suite still has problems, especially with Access. However, > from the low number of postings about this topic, I assume > that not many peoply bother using Informix's driver... I don't use the ODBC drivers with Access so can't comment on your original problem. I somewhat agree with the sentiment about CSDK. We have a serious ...

Web resources about - MS Access linked tables MYSQL - comp.databases.ms-access

Local access and transport area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Local access and transport area (LATA) is a term used in U.S. telecommunications regulation. It represents a geographical area of the United ...

Facebook Expanding Access to Conversion Lift Measurement
Facebook launched conversion lift measurement in January 2015 with the goal of helping advertisers track conversions instead of clicks, and the ...

Planet OS Opens Access To Weather Data
... for software developers using weather data to power their apps, researchers and climate specialists enabling them to discover, access and build ...

Access your clipboard from any PC or Mac with 1Clipboard
1Clipboard is a free tool which enables sharing your clipboard contents with other PCs or Macs. The developer says that Android and iOS apps ...

Sci-Hub — Free access to every scientific paper ever published
Say what? How is it I only heard of this this week? Long story headlined "Should All Research Papers Be Free?" from the New York Times short: ...

US says losing access to China-claimed waters would be huge
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — A U.S. Navy commander warned Wednesday that if the United States lost access to international waters claimed by China ...

MIT, Harvard researchers push new way for users to control access to personal data
Cryptography researchers at MIT and Harvard have developed software called Sieve that is designed to help users keep track of encrypted personal ...

How to access Google Drive files faster with Launch Center Pro
... Launch Center Pro has solved many workflow problems for me over the years. Most recently it’s been an immense time-saver when it comes to accessing ...

Cal Investigation Finds Assistant Coach Sexually Harassed Reporter Who Accused Him Of Trying To Trade ...
... a copy of Cal’s investigation into the matter, and even Hufnagel’s own statements make it appear that he attempted to trade sex for access, ...

Paragon's early access starts now, no more progress wipes
Paragon is gearing up for launch in the future, but for now, Epic is keen on putting it into an Early Access phase. The good news is that there ...