MS Access Question / Multiple Find and Replace Based on Another Table

I use an Access database to basically take data exports, import them,
manipulate the data, and then turn them into exportable reports. I do
this using numerous macros, and queries to get the data in the format
that I need it in order to create the reports that we use. So far this
has proven to be successful for the reports that I am doing and the
data that I am pulling into it. I just have one challenge that may
require a lot of work and I wanted to find out if there was a possible
way to save time and a lot of effort on this.

I basically need to create either a query or macro that will look in
one table and basically do a mass find and replace on one particular
field based on the data in that field. I then want it to look to
another table (basically a definitions table) and replace what it
finds in the first table with the value from the definitions table. I
want to be able to do this because the field that I want to report off
of contains the product name but also more details that are useless
for this type of report.

Example:

Table1
[Product Details]
MS Word printing problem
MS Word formatting issue
MS Outlook email address book
Word 97 upgrade
Access 2002

Table2 � Definitions table
[Product Name]                   [Replace with]
  (if found)                     (replace with)
word				   MS Word
outlook				   MS Outlook
access				   MS Access

Basically what I hope to achieve is, if the query finds Word in the
field, no matter what comes before or after it, it will replace the
entire contents of the field with MS Word. I know this can be done
manually with a find and replace or an update query, but I was
thinking that there is a way to build this definitions table and have
the query look at this table to find out what to replace the field
with depending on what it finds in the first table (Table1). I hope to
have it process about 800 records replacing the field contents with
what it finds in the definitions table. This should allow me to add
new products as time goes on as well.

The alternative that I have found for this so far, which is time
consuming and makes the database bulky, is to make 1 update query for
each product that might be listed in the table, using *word* and
updating it to "MS WORD". I then place each query in a macro and the
process runs. I have this linked to another table that has all of the
product names in the correct format (MS WORD), and use a select query
to display this on the report. Another downfall is, if new products
are added later on, they have to be entered into the table and also
must have a macro created for them. I eventually want to get this to
the point were generally end users can manage this as needed.

Any assistance or ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

DM266Skip

Not too difficult to do in code, but I would hate to try using macros.

basically you will need to create 2 queries, one based on the Definitions
table, and one on the Products table

Read the first record in the Definitions table for FieldToConvert
' e.g. "Access"
    Read the first record in the Products table for FieldToCheck
' e.g. "Outlook Express"
        Check if FieldToCheck contains FieldToConvert    ' Use the inbuilt
function Instr(FieldToCheck, FieldToConvert)
If Instr(FieldToCheck,he  FieldToConvert) = 0 then it can't find the string
' Can't find "Access" in "Outlook"
so check the next record in the products table and so on to the end.
Then read the second record in the Definitions table  and repeat the
procedure
If Instr(FieldToCheck,he  FieldToConvert) <> 0 then it can find the string '
Can find "outlook" in "Outlook Express"
Read the ReplaceString from the Definitions table
    replace the Field to check with the Replace String
    update the record
back to check the next record in the Products table.

This is a loose description of what must be done, but if you can get away
from Macros and start using code you will get 1000 times more out of Access

Phil

However the problem is that having run the code to convert "access to "MS
Access",when the program is run a second time, it will again find the word
"Access" so you will end up with "MS MS Access"
"Daniel" <googleposting@dmwweb.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> what it finds in the definitions table. This should allow me to add
> new products as time goes on as well.
>
> The alternative that I have found for this so far, which is time
> consuming and makes the database bulky, is to make 1 update query for
> each product that might be listed in the table, using *word* and
> updating it to "MS WORD". I then place each query in a macro and the
> process runs. I have this linked to another table that has all of the
> product names in the correct format (MS WORD), and use a select query
> to display this on the report. Another downfall is, if new products
> are added later on, they have to be entered into the table and also
> must have a macro created for them. I eventually want to get this to
> the point were generally end users can manage this as needed.
>

> Any assistance or ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

0
phil (1005)
11/11/2003 10:07:45 AM
Try this on a copy of the tables to check it gives the desired results

UPDATE Table1, Table2 SET Table1.[Product Details] = [Table2].[Replace with]
WHERE (((Table1.[Product Details]) Like "*" & [table2].[Product Name] &
"*"));

Terry

> [...]
> what it finds in the definitions table. This should allow me to add
> new products as time goes on as well.
>
> The alternative that I have found for this so far, which is time
> consuming and makes the database bulky, is to make 1 update query for
> each product that might be listed in the table, using *word* and
> updating it to "MS WORD". I then place each query in a macro and the
> process runs. I have this linked to another table that has all of the
> product names in the correct format (MS WORD), and use a select query
> to display this on the report. Another downfall is, if new products
> are added later on, they have to be entered into the table and also
> must have a macro created for them. I eventually want to get this to
> the point were generally end users can manage this as needed.
>

> Any assistance or ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

0
terry.kreft (988)

MS Access VBA making multiple tables in database from a main table.
I have a database table called "tbl_personal" and struggling to VBA program a bit of code to create multiple tables in a database from the main "tbl_personal" table. In this case the 'color' column is the field I would like to look at. 1. Identify the number of unique records in column 'color' 2. For each color record that is label as red in the "tbl_personal" table, create a table called 'red' and populate with all red records in from the "tbl_personal" table. 3.Then move onto the next unique color and repeat the whole process again. 4. When all unique color tables are created in MS Access database end with a msg "batch process done" name surname age color country aa aaa 1 red UK bb bbb 10 green USA cc ccc 20 blue China dd ddd 30 red Germany ee eee 40 green France ff fff 1 blue Italy gg ggg 20 red Spain hh hhh 40 yellow Canada ii iii 34 black Italy =85 Is this doable automatically in MS Access? Many thanks. brenda Are you sure you want to do this? I would expect 3 tables vis: Table of Personel with PersonelID, Suname, FirstName, ColourID, CountryID & DateOfBirth (Age will be out of date next birthday and should be calculated), Table of Colours ColourID & Colour Table of Countries CountryID & Country. You can then use simple queries to return all the red people or people who live in UK. Am I missing something? Phil <bbcdancer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:495c4ca6...

Update MS Access table from another table
This is probably very simple but I can't figure out a way to update one table from another table. Here is an example: ------ TABLEA ------ first_name last_name grade ------ TABLEB ------ first_name last_name grade I want to update TABLEB's "grade" column from TABLEA (join by first_name and last_name). What's wrong with following sql? UPDATE TABLEB SET GRADE = (SELECT GRADE FROM TABLEA WHERE TABLEA.LAST_NAME = TABLEB.LAST_NAME AND TABLEA.FIRST_NAME = TABLEB.FIRST_NAME) Also, one more question: How do I update TABLE's "grade" column with some numbers (1 to 12)? Following updates the whole table with same number. I want it to randomize each row. UPDATE TABLEB SET GRADE = (int(rnd()*12)+1); Thanks in advance. Did you try using the Query Builder to create such a query and then looking at its SQL as a model? I have said for years that anyone who does not, but writes SQL from scratch, is wasting a lot of time and effort. Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP "Deja User" <dejauser@safe-mail.net> wrote in message news:ba74bae9.0312141420.6e975aee@posting.google.com... > This is probably very simple but I can't figure out a way to update > one table from another table. > > Here is an example: > > ------ > TABLEA > ------ > first_name > last_name > grade > > ------ > TABLEB > ------ > first_name > last_name > grade > >...

Accessing Oracle Tables from MS Access
How difficult is this? I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to work. I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP. What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work: select id from emp I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point. Any help in how to get this done, or pointing me in the right direction of a book or website, would be greatly appreciated! berj Yes, I do have the table links working. But I did want to run the select for such things as grabbing the next number off of a sequence. As in: select test.nextval from dual; Where "test" is the name of an Oracle sequence. berj "Steve Jorgensen" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:bp0821lsd8tt5ec5jhvtgbt46fdvb2t3dt@4ax.com... > The easiest way is to link the table in Access, then query the link. Is that > how you're trying to do it? > > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:25:36 -0800, "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote: > > >How difficult is this? I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to > >work. > > > >I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP. > > > > > >What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work: > > > >select id from emp > > > > > >I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point. > > > > > >Any help in how to get this done, or pointing ...

MS Access Question for Access Gurus
I have one table called Album another table called Song One Album has many songs I created an Album form that contains a Song Subform. in the Song table I have a field id which is the primary key, and another field called index The song index is a number that represents the song number on the record. For example on the Beatle's Album: Abbey Road the song indices are as follows: Track Listings 1. Come Together 2. Something 3. Maxwell's Silver Hammer 4. Oh! Darling 5. Octopus's Garden 6. I Want You (She's So Heavy) 7. Here Comes the Sun 8. Because 9. You Never Give Me Your Money 10. Sun King 11. Mean Mr. Mustard 12. Polythene Pam 13. She Came in Through the Bathroom Window 14. Golden Slumbers 15. Carry That Weight 16. End 17. Her Majesty My question is.....on the song subform how can I get the song index to automatically have the index inserted based on the number of tracks already entered. In other words a running count? For your information, here are my tables Table: Album Primary Key: id (number) name (text) Table: Song Primary Key: id (number) name (text) index (number) albumID (foreign key) Relationship is One Album to Many Songs with Referential Integrity. I really appreciate your help. "Elliot W. Scott" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:mu2dndCuUJpUqInfRVn-pw@comcast.com... >I have one table called Album > another table cal...

Update table using data from another table
I believe the following a valid SQL statement, but MS Access returns with an error "Operation must be an updateable query". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! UPDATE FERCPTILoad AS FL SET FL.[Load Dist Factor] = FL.[MW]/( select FA.[Load MW] from FERCPTIArea AS FA where FA.[Area Num] = FL.[Area Num of Bus]); *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Bo Long wrote: > I believe the following a valid SQL statement, but MS Access returns > with an error "Operation must be an updateable query". > > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! > > UPDATE FERCPTILoad AS FL > SET FL.[Load Dist Factor] = FL.[MW]/( > select FA.[Load MW] > from FERCPTIArea AS FA > where FA.[Area Num] = FL.[Area Num of Bus]); > > > > *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Why not try using DLOOKUP instead of the subselect? My guess is that since the subquery could conceivably return more than one record, the update query won't work. ...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work > in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Allen Browne has an excellent calendar control at http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Thanks for the link...

How to access MS-Access metadata tables (eg MSysObjects)
Dear all, I have an MS-Access MDB-file with hundreds of tables and want to know when they were created and/or modified. The MS-Access metadata table MSySObjects includes this information, but I have not managed to read it from SAS. (CLI describe error tells me that I have no reading access) --> Does anybody have a working code example for this? I have tried the libname ACCESS and Libname ODBC variants. Regards Dietrich -- DIETRICH ALTE, Dipl.-Statistiker, Dr. rer. med. Wiss. Projektmanager "Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP)" Institut f�r Community Medicine - SHIP/KEF EMA-Universit�t Greifswald - Medizinische Fakult�t Walther-Rathenau-Str. 48, D-17475 Greifswald, Germany URL ship.community-medicine.de Phone ++49(0)3834-867713, Fax ++49(0)3834-866684 ...

Does MS Access db have problems with multiple users access it at once?
I am developing an Access db which will be used by multiple users. My questions are: Does MS Access have problems with multiple users accessing the db at once? If yes, what is your solution to this problem? I was informed that Access is not a good application for multiple users accessing it at once. Thank you for your assistance to this issue of mine. Will the users just be reading, or will multiple users be writing at the same time? I've seen data corruption in older (Access '97) databases with large numbers of users reading and writing. I haven't seen any corruption where there's only one user writing. You might want to take a look at using MS-SQL, but it depends a lot on and whether the complexity of the application warrents the add'l resource investment... chloemelmom@yahoo.com (mary) wrote in message news:<a0a64947.0311251150.1357819@posting.google.com>... > I am developing an Access db which will be used by multiple users. My > questions are: > > Does MS Access have problems with multiple users accessing the db at > once? > > If yes, what is your solution to this problem? > > I was informed that Access is not a good application for multiple > users accessing it at once. > > Thank you for your assistance to this issue of mine. ...

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); ----------------------------------- The error message I got is: "Unknown connection option in connection string: driver." for str_1 and " Unknown connection option in connection string: provider." for str_2 So I am wondering, where is the problem? Is it because my connection string for MS Access is specified wrongly? Or is it because I cannot use SqlHelper to access the MS Access database? ( I have used SqlHelper class to access the MS SQL server, and it works) Your help will be greatly appreciated. James James wrote: > Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine > in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. > > But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application > Blocks to access the database. > > I have tried 2 possible connection strings. > > ----------------------------------------- > ...

Wanted
I am wanting to be able to write reports against an ms-access database that is part of another package. I only want to report from the database. What I need is a package that will allow me to create the reports and then be able to distribute a run-time version. The client may not have Office so the package must run standalone. It could get to the Access database through an ODBC driver. Does anyone know what packages available? It looks like Crystal Reports has taken out their runtime version with their latest software but that was only a footnote in a book that I was reading. Please provide me with a list to start researching. Thanks, Joe There used to be other third-party report writers, but I don't know how many have survived over the years -- Crystal Reports appears to have been the most popular of these packages. (It is the only one that I have observed closely in use, and I saw some impressive work done with it on web applications against SQL Server.) Unless the magnitude of the distributable would be a problem, you can create your reports in Access, and distribute the Access application to run them with Access' runtime support. You'll get the Access runtime support in the Office Developer Edition for Access 97 - 2002, and in the Visual Studio.NET Tools for Office 2003 System for Access 2003. If you have difficulties with deployment using only the Packaging and Distribution Wizard, you can use a third-party installer such as Wise InstallMaster or Instal...

ask me a question ms access databases
I will be willing to help, with access databases, in same order request is received. The web site is at www.jaxdatasolutions.com. This is for a limited time only. ivanmendoza@comcast.net (Ivan) wrote: >I will be willing to help, with access databases, in same order >request is received. The web site is at <snipped> This >is for a limited time only. Umm, hows about we ask questions in this newsgroup? Tony -- Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can read the entire thread of messages. Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm "Tony Toews" wrote > > I will be willing to help, with access > > databases, in same order request is > > received. The web site is at <snipped> > > This is for a limited time only. > > Umm, hows about we ask questions > in this newsgroup? Would one of the first ones be "Why ask questions just of a particular, unknown person of unknown ability instead of asking them publicly where they will be seen by many persons of proven ability?" <G> "Ivan" <ivanmendoza@comcast.net> wrote in message news:2be4a61d.0408010952.5f1d1438@posting.google.com... > I will be willing to help, with access databases, in same order > request is received. The web site is at www.jaxdatasolutions.com. This > is for a limited time only. Good idea. ...

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name
i am not sure if SAS will support long file name if you use libname. a workaround is to use passthrough. On Jan 16, 2008 12:31 PM, JKamgang@Yahoo.com <JBKamgang@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear All, > > > > Happy New Year , > > > > Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS > Access > table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 > databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I > don't want to rename manually the table names. > > > > Please find the program below. > > > > Thanks in advance for your kind assistance, > > > > Jean Baptiste > > > > The program: > > - - - > > > > options VALIDVARNAME=ANY ; > > libname DBsource access 'S:\Data > Management\External\Projects\MTCT-Plus\MTCT-Plus November 2007 > Data\Programs\Data\MTCT-PlusData All.mdb'; > > /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ > > > > data* pedResultadd ; > > set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional'n (keep = > > testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2text > > ); > * > > run*; > > - - - The log - - > > 1636 > > 1637 /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ > > 1638 > > 1639 data pedResultadd ; > > 1640 set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional...

Web resources about - MS Access Question / Multiple Find and Replace Based on Another Table - comp.databases.ms-access

Unanswered questions at the heart of Mike Baird's $20b rail plan
There is a $20 billion-plus unanswered question at the heart of the biggest public transport project in Sydney, NSW and Australia. And it is ...

Arnold Schwarzenegger terminates Weekend Sunrise interview after questions on US presidential campaign ...
He's famous for saying he'll be back, but Arnold Schwarzenegger may think twice about appearing on Weekend Sunrise again.

South Carolina police officer killed trying to question teen
A South Carolina police officer was shot and killed Friday as he and a partner were trying to question a self-professed gang member who they ...

‘If I Stay Here, You’ll Make 500 Questions. I Said I Was Going To Answer One.’
Cuban Pres. Raul Castro is not used to taking questions from the press. But he agreed to today. It didn’t go well. In a joint news conference ...

"It’s a question every candidate for state Supreme Court is asked: Which U.S. Supreme Court justices ...
Writes the left/liberal Bill Lueders at the end of his Isthmus piece "Battle for the [Wisconsin Supreme] court/Bradley v. Kloppenburg is a classic ...

There's a huge unanswered question in the collapse of Powa Technologies — where did the money go?
It has been a month since London payment company Powa Technologies collapsed into administration and, as the dust settles, we've got some idea ...

S.C. police officer killed trying to question teen
S.C. police officer killed trying to question teen

14 great responses when a job interviewer asks, 'Any questions for me?'
So you managed to get through a phone screen, ten resume revisions, and a lot of anxious moments when you were convinced they were ignoring you. ...

South Carolina police officer killed trying to question man
New York Daily News South Carolina police officer killed trying to question man Charlotte Observer Police officers work the scene of an officer-involved ...