MS Access Security Troubleshooting Guide

Existing Access Database Troubleshooting

I am new to access database and inherited an access application and
all users who were previously able to use this access file
simulataneously are now locked out exclusively . Some have not been
able to get on at all. Obviously, this is the problem, and as far as I
know, no changes have been made to access backend or front end. I have
no historical data as to whether or not the access db was secured
previously,..)

This access db is on a network share, and i have no knowledge if it's
verifying against a .mdw file on the network or on a computer
somewhere on a network. How would one determine where the access
database looks to to verify if a users are in a certain workgroup?
I've gone through most of the menu options on the access database and
couldn't find one that would show me where it references for it's
workgroup information model it uses.

If I were to recreate a new workgroup information file with this
accesss dataabase, should I be concerned about overriding any other
configuration that access may reference from a previously created file
(if one existed, and if somehow, it's referencing an existing file..?
or would this corrupt the access database.. ?)

I have downloaded the FAQ Security Access and reading through it to
understand what I need to do to recreate a workgroup file. However, I
do not know what to anticipate breaking if I recreated one, ... and
just wanted to see if any thoughts could be shared on this.

Any guidance as to how to troubleshoot an application on a network
share would be appreciated.

0
wongsie (1)

siewong wrote:
> Existing Access Database Troubleshooting
>
> I am new to access database and inherited an access application and
> all users who were previously able to use this access file
> simulataneously are now locked out exclusively. Some have not been
> able to get on at all. Obviously, this is the problem, and as far as I
> know, no changes have been made to access backend or front end. I have
> no historical data as to whether or not the access db was secured
> previously,..)

Could you describe the situation a bit more?  What do you mean, locked
out exclusively?  Is there an error message displayed?  What is the
error number or description?

It sounds like some can get in and others can't.  What's the difference
between the two?    Have you looked at the desktop icon on the machines
that work and those that don't?

> This access db is on a network share, and i have no knowledge if it's
> verifying against a .mdw file on the network or on a computer
> somewhere on a network. How would one determine where the access
> database looks to to verify if a users are in a certain workgroup?
> I've gone through most of the menu options on the access database and
> couldn't find one that would show me where it references for it's
> workgroup information model it uses.
>
> If I were to recreate a new workgroup information file with this
> accesss dataabase, should I be concerned about overriding any other
> configuration that access may reference from a previously created file
> (if one existed, and if somehow, it's referencing an existing file..?
> or would this corrupt the access database.. ?)
>
> I have downloaded the FAQ Security Access and reading through it to
> understand what I need to do to recreate a workgroup file. However, I
> do not know what to anticipate breaking if I recreated one, ... and
> just wanted to see if any thoughts could be shared on this.
>
> Any guidance as to how to troubleshoot an application on a network
> share would be appreciated.

0
oil (4047)
11/2/2007 3:43:17 AM
"siewong" <wongsie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Existing Access Database Troubleshooting
>
> This access db is on a network share, and i have no knowledge if it's
> verifying against a .mdw file on the network or on a computer
> somewhere on a network.

If you can open the file directly from an explorer window then either:

the file has not been secured correctly

or

you are joined to the custom workgroup.

The latter is not recommended, rather you (and your users) should switch to
custom workgroups on a session-by-session basis.

> How would one determine where the access
> database looks to to verify if a users are in a certain workgroup?

If users are joined to the default "system.mdw" workgroup then the would
need a shortcut with a valid "/wrkgrp" switch to gain access to the file.

> I've gone through most of the menu options on the access database and
> couldn't find one that would show me where it references for it's
> workgroup information model it uses.

No, you won't find it there.  The developer should have this information,
not much help to you I know.

> If I were to recreate a new workgroup information file with this
> accesss dataabase, should I be concerned about overriding any other
> configuration that access may reference from a previously created file
> (if one existed, and if somehow, it's referencing an existing file..?
> or would this corrupt the access database.. ?)

Access will only "reference" the workgroup file you tell it to.  By default
this is "system.mdw".  You join other workgroups either using the workgroup
admin menu option or by using a shortcut.

> I have downloaded the FAQ Security Access and reading through it to
> understand what I need to do to recreate a workgroup file.

You can only recreate a workgroup file if you have *exactly* the same
information that was used to create the original.  It wouldn't be much in
the way of security if you could easily recreate workgroup files with
minimal information.

There's a security example on my website that might help you understand the
concept (in addition to the FAQ).

HTH - Keith.
www.keithwilby.com

0
here9 (1031)

How to access MS Access from Perl?

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

Accessing Oracle Tables from MS Access
How difficult is this? I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to work. I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP. What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work: select id from emp I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point. Any help in how to get this done, or pointing me in the right direction of a book or website, would be greatly appreciated! berj Yes, I do have the table links working. But I did want to run the select for such things as grabbing the next number off of a sequence. As in: select test.nextval fro...

ms access data access pages
hi my self uttam . i am working in r & d organization . friends i need a he lp from u . if any one of u know how add two sections(consisting of caption, header, footer ) be displayed on the same data page in ms access 2003 or 2005.i tried to display two tables on the data page in tabular format but i could not do it. it is allowing to display one table but it is not allowing to display the other table separately in tabular format . i want more than one table in tabular format to be dispalyed in data page separately with some text in-between tables. plz rep...

MS Access Question for Access Gurus
I have one table called Album another table called Song One Album has many songs I created an Album form that contains a Song Subform. in the Song table I have a field id which is the primary key, and another field called index The song index is a number that represents the song number on the record. For example on the Beatle's Album: Abbey Road the song indices are as follows: Track Listings 1. Come Together 2. Something 3. Maxwell's Silver Hammer 4. Oh! Darling 5. Octopus's Garden 6. I Want You (She's So Heavy) 7. Here Comes the Sun ...

Accessing MS-Access from Solaris and AIX
Hi: I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Access from Java client on Windows platform. We are in the process of migrating from Win to Solaris and AIX platform. MS-Access will continue to reside on Win platform. How can I access MS-Access from Java client on Solaris and AIX? Can I still use Sun JdbcOdbcDriver?. What drivers or files do I need on Solaris and AIX platforms? If Sun JdbcOdbcDriver for MS-Access is not possible on these platforms, please let me know alternatives. (I can't change database product) Thanks, Vasanth on 7/12/2004 11:48 AM Vasanth Wrote: > Hi: > I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Access from Java client on > Windows platform. We are in the process of migrating from Win to > Solaris and AIX platform. MS-Access will continue to reside on Win > platform. How can I access MS-Access from Java client on Solaris and > AIX? Can I still use Sun JdbcOdbcDriver?. What drivers or files do I > need on Solaris and AIX platforms? If Sun JdbcOdbcDriver for MS-Access > is not possible on these platforms, please let me know alternatives. > (I can't change database product) > > Thanks, > Vasanth Vasanth, You would need odbc drivers on Solaris/AIX. Googling for odbc unix gives a good hit: http://www.easysoft.com/solutions/accessnw.phtml Its a good place to start your investigations from... -- Shanmu. Vasanth wrote: > Hi: > I am using Sun JdbcOdbcDriver to access MS-Acce...

Web resources about - MS Access Security Troubleshooting Guide - comp.databases.ms-access

Troubleshooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Troubleshooting is a form of problem solving , often applied to repair failed products or processes. It is a logical, systematic search for the ...

Resistance Spot Welding Troubleshooting on the App Store on iTunes
Get Resistance Spot Welding Troubleshooting on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Troubleshooting Surface power management during modern standby - YouTube
If you experience unexpected power consumption issues, it’s likely that your Surface device will have been interrupted from its’ lowest power ...

Genius Bar reservation page now suggests online support solutions for quick troubleshooting
... screensharing on their Mac with AppleCare representatives. With this new page, it seems Apple is hoping customers will conduct basic troubleshooting ...

Fixya Launches 6ya Mobile Troubleshooting App on iOS
Fixya Launches 6ya Mobile Troubleshooting App on iOS

Android Marshmallow problems: troubleshooting guide
... the battery drain section of this article. Remember, the exact button combination is different for different manufacturers. Installation troubleshooting The ...

Desire - Support and Troubleshooting - Android Forums
Desire - Support and Troubleshooting -

Apple is working on an iOS app for troubleshooting device problems
... 10 or whether it’ll surface independently of a major iOS update. We’ll keep you postedon this front. Apple is working on an iOS app for troubleshooting ...

Apple - Support - iPhone - Calls Troubleshooting Assistant
Applications not operating as expected? This assistant can help.

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections
... Wi-Fi network Connected to Wi-Fi network, but unable to access content Intermittent disconnects or connectivity issues Learn basic troubleshooting ...