MS Access Security/Workgroup problem

Hi,

I have a problem in getting Access 2002 to read my workgroup file.
I've created different groups and users and when the db is opened the
user is prompted to enter a username and password which seems to be
working perfectly on my PC.

However, when someone else on a different computer opens this db on
the shared network the user is no longer asked to enter their username
and password and they are logged on as the default admin user.

I've looked at the workgroup adminstrator and the db is joined with
the correct workgroup. I've also looked at the whitepaper Microsoft
Access Security FAQ and tried the solution in point 40, but still no
success.

Can anyone out there help me please?

Many thanks,
Dom

"Dom" <dominic.marmion@which.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem in getting Access 2002 to read my workgroup file.
> I've created different groups and users and when the db is opened the
> user is prompted to enter a username and password which seems to be
> working perfectly on my PC.
>
> However, when someone else on a different computer opens this db on
> the shared network the user is no longer asked to enter their username
> and password and they are logged on as the default admin user.
>
> I've looked at the workgroup adminstrator and the db is joined with
> the correct workgroup. I've also looked at the whitepaper Microsoft
> Access Security FAQ and tried the solution in point 40, but still no
> success.
>
> Can anyone out there help me please?

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how Access security works.

*Files* are not joined to workgroups *Users* are.

When Access is launched it will use the workgroup file specified as a
command line argument and if no such argument is supplied it will use the
default workgroup file for the current user as defined on his local PC.
This all happens before your file is even opened which is why your file
cannot possibly specify which workgroup to use.

You either have to have users "join" your workgroup file to make it their
default (not recommended) or supply them with a shortcut to your app that
specifies your workgroup file as a command line argument (recommended).
The shortcut would look something like...

"Full path to MSAccess.exe" /wrkgrp "Full path to MDW file" "Full path to
MDB file"

Here's the important bit.  Having failed to do one of the above, your users
should not have been able to open the file at all.  When properly secured,
a file can only be opened with the appropriate workgroup file.  This
indicates that you missed a step in setting up security.  You have to
correct that problem BEFORE you give users a proper shortcut or your
security efforts will have been a complete waste of time.

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message.     Send instead to...

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)

Problem with MS Access 97 database security
All, I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access 97 database applications that support production and order fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following problems: 1) no one can make modifications to the database except by logging in using the database creator's userid and password on the workstation used by that person, who has of course left the company. Anyone else who tries to access the database, even the system administrator, gets the message "You dont have the nececssary permissions to use the xxxxxxxxx object.Have your system administrator or the person who created the object establish the appropriate permissions for you." 2) We logged in and "added" another person with the same permissions as the creator for all database objects, except we did not change the database object "ownerships", and the problem still persists. I suspect that the ownerships are the problem. Is this so? 3) I dont know anything about the restriction to a particular machine. Can anyone enlighten me on this issue? TIA JL <jliebman@kjlsoftware.com> wrote in message news:1176986756.146353.213270@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > All, > > I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access > 97 database applications that support production and order > fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following > problems: > > 1) no one can make modifications ...

Problem with MS Access 97 database security #2
[...]

security problem with ms-access?
hi list, since a couple of weeks we face a special "security" problem. neraly every ms-access database that is located on our net-drives cannot be opened. when clicking the document's icon, first, the warning message arises "open document - security message" - "Really open *.mdb ....?", second, when clicking "start" ms-access starts, but the mdb-file cannot be opened. message: "ms-access could not open the file ... The file is located outside the intranet or on a website that is considered to be insecure. ms-access therefore will not open the document because of possible security problems" (translation from the german dialogs - somediffeences to the original english dailog can be assumed) when copying the file to a local hard disk, it works again. butthat's not the idea of an intra-enterprise database, is it? any ideas how to come over that ???? thanx in advance norbert ps. some of these mdb-files are replicated ... norbert On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 04:58:00 -0700 (PDT), novak <norbert.neuwirth@oif.ac.at> wrote: Did you deploy the applications on each workstation, per best practices? -Tom. >hi list, > >since a couple of weeks we face a special "security" problem. neraly >every ms-access database that is located on our net-drives cannot be >opened. > >when clicking the document's icon, first, the warning message arises >"open document - security message" - &qu...

Ms. Access database problem
Hello, I have a MS. Access database in XP. When I open the database in design view, users will get an error message & cannot even open the database. Is there any way to solve this problem? Thanks for your help in advance. Orchid What error message? Did you try the standard compact/repair routine? Thanks for your reply! The error message is: "The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin' on machine 'Name' that prevents it from being opened or locked." Yeah, I tried the standard compact/repair routine, (which is under Tool, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair Database...)but still got the same error message. "Orchid" <yhtong86@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<1112194542.469115.105910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>... > Thanks for your reply! > The error message is: "The database has been placed in a state by user > 'Admin' on machine 'Name' that prevents it from being opened or > locked." > > Yeah, I tried the standard compact/repair routine, (which is under > Tool, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair Database...)but still got > the same error message. try deleting the *.ldb file on the machine that has it opened or locked. Orchid wrote: > Hello, > I have a MS. Access database in XP. When I open the database in design > view, users will get an error message & cannot even open the database. > Is there any way to solve this problem?...

Problem with MS Access Database
------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C56A17.539605A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I'm using wxWidgets now a long time for designig my applications. This weekend I tried first to use the Database classes, but I've got a problem with them... I've got an Microsoft Access Datenbase, with two tables: Orte(ID, Staat, Name, and so on) PLZOrte(ID, PLZ) This tables are set into a relationship. The field ID ist the primary key in Orte and set up the relation. Now I'd like to do a query to this database in my...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work > in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Allen Browne has an excellent calendar control at http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Thanks for the link...

Does MS Access db have problems with multiple users access it at once?
I am developing an Access db which will be used by multiple users. My questions are: Does MS Access have problems with multiple users accessing the db at once? If yes, what is your solution to this problem? I was informed that Access is not a good application for multiple users accessing it at once. Thank you for your assistance to this issue of mine. Will the users just be reading, or will multiple users be writing at the same time? I've seen data corruption in older (Access '97) databases with large numbers of users reading and writing. I haven't seen any corruption where...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

Web resources about - MS Access Security/Workgroup problem - comp.databases.ms-access

Apple Workgroup Server - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Apple Workgroup Server (AWS or sometimes WGS) and, later, Macintosh Server , are the names given to selected models of Macintosh computers which ...

WEDI (Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange)
The WEDI group is for open discussion and knowledge sharing among professionals regarding the use of technology to enhance and streamline the... ...

Workgroup Manager Remote for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Workgroup Manager Remote on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

20 years after Windows 3.11, Linus unveils “Linux for Workgroups”
Toastytech.com A couple of years ago, Linus Torvalds was discussing Linux version numbers and said , "I think I will call 3.11 Linux for Workgroups." ...

Hands on: Using Apple's Workgroup Manager
It's the preferred tool for Mac OS X Server file sharing and user management. Ryan Faas gives you tips and tricks for how to make it work for ...

Linux Foundation forms Automotive Grade Workgroup, aims to open-source your ride with Tizen
... cars to embrace the same notions of common roots and open code that we'd find in an Ubuntu box. Its newly-formed Automotive Grade Linux Workgroup ...

Google Drive Now Lets Workgroups Track File Changes More Easily
Google Drive gets a new "activity stream" to help users in workgroups see which files have changed over time.

Linux 3.11 named Linux for Workgroups in odd homage to its archenemy Windows
Ever the prankster, Linus Torvalds has paid homage to Windows 3.11 by naming Linux 3.11 "Linux for Workgroups." Tux, Linux's penguin mascot that ...

What To Make of the Senate Finance Committee's Tax Reform Workgroups
The Senate Finance Committee has created five bipartisan working groups to develop ideas for comprehensive tax reform by the end of May. It is ...

5 Emerging Trends Impacting Workgroup Storage
Does your company have the right data storage solution for its collaborative workforce? Most businesses expand to multiple workgroups and branch ...