MS Access, SQL Server, Web server

Scenario
--------
I am planning to write an application using MS Access as front-end.

User enters records (mostly 15 records or less per user per day) into an
Access database. Having done that, users click a button to transfer
these records to a web server hosting an SQL Server database (set up by
a service provider). Each record represents a job; provider will update
its status when a job is done.

At the end of day, user will open up the database to enquire the records
status, which will be retrieved from the web server (through HTTP protocol)

A service provider will probably have 2000 records/jobs per day, which
will be fetched from the web server to its PC for job scheduling purposes.

Question
--------
Can someone advise me as to how to go about doing this ? I have read a
little on WinInet APIs of MS Visual Studio 6, but I am still not sure;
eg how to get SQL server to send data to client PC using HTTP.

Thanks for your advice.

0
cnlai1 (13)

I can't really understand the scenario here.  You are going to have to
explain this better.

1.  Who are the users?  What do they do?  Are they mobile in that they
are not connected to the network when they are working, like traveling
salesmen?

2.  Who are the service providers?   I'm assuming that these are not
Internet Service Providers or Application Service Providers, but rather
people who work for the company and do things for customers.  What kind
of jobs do they do?  Do they provide their services in places where
they have access to the network?

3.  Why are you considering MS Access for this, either as a front-end
or a database?  What do you think that Access will do for you that you
couldn't do otherwise?

If you explain a little more clearly, perhaps many of these things will
come to light.

Bill E.
Hollywood, FL

0
billmiami2 (162)
5/17/2005 12:53:05 AM
Let's assume that users are orchid buyers, provider is orchid seller.

> I can't really understand the scenario here.  You are going to have to
> explain this better.
>
> 1.  Who are the users?  What do they do?  Are they mobile in that they
> are not connected to the network when they are working, like traveling
> salesmen?

Orchid buyers. They don't order orchid everyday.

> 2.  Who are the service providers?   I'm assuming that these are not
> Internet Service Providers or Application Service Providers, but rather
> people who work for the company and do things for customers.  What kind
> of jobs do they do?  Do they provide their services in places where
> they have access to the network?

Orchids seller. After receiving orders, they deliver.

> 3.  Why are you considering MS Access for this, either as a front-end
> or a database?  What do you think that Access will do for you that you
> couldn't do otherwise?

I suppose most people have MS Office on their PCs.

> If you explain a little more clearly, perhaps many of these things will
> come to light.
>
> Bill E.
> Hollywood, FL

0
cnlai1 (13)
5/17/2005 1:44:19 PM
This sounds like an e-commerce scenario to me.  If you already have MS
SQL Server set up, why don't you set up a web application where buyers
simply open their browser, go to your site and make orders?  Sellers
can use the same application to check orders and make deliveries.  If
sellers need to be able to check or update order status on the road,
you can issue them (or they can obtain for themselves) tablet PCs with
a wireless network card and pay for a monthly subscription to a
wireless service.  We're doing a similar thing (wireless) with a
Municipal Code Enforcement application and it works great.

Bill E.

0
billmiami2 (162)
5/17/2005 1:55:29 PM
Thanks Bill.

How about transferring a batch or records stored in a database at client
PC (just to explore whether this  more efficient) ?

Anybody can suggest ? Thank you.

> This sounds like an e-commerce scenario to me.  If you already have MS
> SQL Server set up, why don't you set up a web application where buyers
> simply open their browser, go to your site and make orders?  Sellers
> can use the same application to check orders and make deliveries.  If
> sellers need to be able to check or update order status on the road,
> you can issue them (or they can obtain for themselves) tablet PCs with
> a wireless network card and pay for a monthly subscription to a
> wireless service.  We're doing a similar thing (wireless) with a
> Municipal Code Enforcement application and it works great.
>
> Bill E.

0
cnlai1 (13)

How to connect MS Access form to MS SQL Server
Hello all I created an application which use MS Access 2000 as user interface and MS SQL Server 2000 as backend. If I want to get data from MS SQL Sever 2000 and display them on the MS Access 2000 form, where do I set the database connection to the form (i.e. tell the form to get data from MS SQL server database)? Thanks Bon In Windows control panel, admin tools, data sources (ODBC), create a system DSN of type SQL server and fill in the parameters for your SQL database. In Access, select file / get external data, files of type ODBC. Select machine data source, select the DSN you created and the table(s) you need. ...

Running MS Access db as a Linked Server on SQL Server
Hi, Looking for a quick and dirty on running an Access database as a linked server in SQL Server. Basically, the majority of my stuff is in SQL Server, but there is one lingering nightmare-of-an-Access-database no one wants to touch. I just want to create a linked server to use the Access db. So far I have not found a way to connect (under Security -> Link Servers in SQL Server), though I tried all kinds of drivers, connection strings, etc. What do I put for Product Name, Data Source, Provider String, (Location, Catalog)? Thanks a bunch. This might help; note the table about halfway...

insert fails
Hi, I configured a linked server in MS SQL Server v8 pointing to a remote AS/400 DB2 database. I used Client Access ODBC driver (v7), installed it from a Client Access Express v4.5. Select/update/delete seems to be working fine, I just cannot execute an insert statement. Here's the error I'm getting: update as400..U1.TB1 set a = 4 select * from as400..U1.TB1 insert into as400..U1.TB1 ( a ) values (1) ------------------------------------------------------ Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 4 OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' reported an error. The provider did not give any inf...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

Re: Accessing legacy data via MS SQL Server linked servers
Chuck, You might talk to MBFoster. They may have a solution for you. Imagesql has odbclink/se but I'm not sure if this will do the job for you. Imagesql is available to 7.0 and 7.5 users. I have found in some cases that MSAccess does a quick job of access legacy data with odbclink/se...(but that is going thur Imagesql). JDBC, java, perl may be another solution. These have classes for image. Hope this helps Cathlene Mc Rae HP Sr Response Center Engineer. * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/arc...

what is equivalent of format(date) function of MS Access in MS Sql Server 2000
Hi All, I am facing a problem with a sql what i used in MS Access but its not returning the same result in MS Sql Server 2000. Here i am giving the sql: SELECT TOP 3 format( MY_DATE, "dddd mm, yyyy" ) FROM MY_TAB WHERE MY_ID=1 The above sql in ACCESS return me the date in below format in one column: Friday 09, 2003 But in Sql server 2000 i am not getting the same format eventhough i am using convert function, date part function etc. Please if you find the solution would be helpful for me.. Thanks Hoque Hi If you field is a datetime, you can use the CONVERT function to conver...

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anythi...

Moving data from MS SQL Server 2000 or MS Access XP to UniData 5.2.9
Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. --Ryan N. Ryan N. wrote: > Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte > level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch > initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 > or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. > > Any leads would be greatly appreciated. > > --Ryan N. Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then the scripting to move it on. www.asent.com Better yet, most likely you need a consultant. Check out Tony Gravagno. He's good at building interfaces, and has most of the tools pre-built. He is at http:(no spam)//nebula-rnd.com/ get rid of the (no spam) HTH, Patrick <;=) "(Latimerp)" <"(Latimerp)"@comcast.net> wrote: >Ryan N. wrote: >> Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte >> level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch >> initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 >> or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. >> >> Any leads would be greatly appreciated. >> >> --Ryan N. > >Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then t...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and data...

US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45359057608)
US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45359057608) ========================================================================================= Position: Programmer Reference: ZYD00182 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Experience manipulating data and developing applications in Microsoft Access. A strong technology background including relational database principles and web development technologies. Experience in Visual Basic, SQL Server, Active Server Pages ...

US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45358457604)
US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45358457604) ========================================================================================= Position: Programmer Reference: ZYD00182 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Experience manipulating data and developing applications in Microsoft Access. A strong technology background including relational database principles and web development technologies. Experience in Visual Basic, SQL Server, Active Server Pages ...

US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45359314402)
US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45359314402) ========================================================================================= Position: Programmer Reference: ZYD00182 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Experience manipulating data and developing applications in Microsoft Access. A strong technology background including relational database principles and web development technologies. Experience in Visual Basic, SQL Server, Active Server Pages ...

US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45359632405)
US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45359632405) ========================================================================================= Position: Programmer Reference: ZYD00182 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Experience manipulating data and developing applications in Microsoft Access. A strong technology background including relational database principles and web development technologies. Experience in Visual Basic, SQL Server, Active Server Pages ...

US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45359014401)
US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45359014401) ========================================================================================= Position: Programmer Reference: ZYD00182 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Experience manipulating data and developing applications in Microsoft Access. A strong technology background including relational database principles and web development technologies. Experience in Visual Basic, SQL Server, Active Server Pages ...

US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45359614403)
US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45359614403) ========================================================================================= Position: Programmer Reference: ZYD00182 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Experience manipulating data and developing applications in Microsoft Access. A strong technology background including relational database principles and web development technologies. Experience in Visual Basic, SQL Server, Active Server Pages ...

Web resources about - MS Access, SQL Server, Web server - comp.databases.ms-access

Random-access memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Random access memory ( RAM ) is a form of computer data storage . A random access device allows stored data to be accessed in any order in very ...

Facebook Expanding Access to Conversion Lift Measurement
Facebook launched conversion lift measurement in January 2015 with the goal of helping advertisers track conversions instead of clicks, and the ...

Planet OS Opens Access To Weather Data
... for software developers using weather data to power their apps, researchers and climate specialists enabling them to discover, access and build ...

Access your clipboard from any PC or Mac with 1Clipboard
1Clipboard is a free tool which enables sharing your clipboard contents with other PCs or Macs. The developer says that Android and iOS apps ...

Sci-Hub — Free access to every scientific paper ever published
Say what? How is it I only heard of this this week? Long story headlined "Should All Research Papers Be Free?" from the New York Times short: ...

Clerk rescinds ban on journalists' access to court motions
MANASSAS, Va. (AP) — A clerk's office in Virginia has ended a five-year policy of denying journalists access to any legal motions filed in the ...

MIT, Harvard researchers push new way for users to control access to personal data
Cryptography researchers at MIT and Harvard have developed software called Sieve that is designed to help users keep track of encrypted personal ...

How to access Google Drive files faster with Launch Center Pro
... Launch Center Pro has solved many workflow problems for me over the years. Most recently it’s been an immense time-saver when it comes to accessing ...

Cal Investigation Finds Assistant Coach Sexually Harassed Reporter Who Accused Him Of Trying To Trade ...
... a copy of Cal’s investigation into the matter, and even Hufnagel’s own statements make it appear that he attempted to trade sex for access, ...

Paragon's early access starts now, no more progress wipes
Paragon is gearing up for launch in the future, but for now, Epic is keen on putting it into an Early Access phase. The good news is that there ...