MS Qry and text field to date field

I am using MS Query to pull files (from IBM AS400) and put them in
Excel. However, when I do this the dates are now text fields. The text/
Date field looks like this: 20070331 (YYYYMMDD)

 I would like the change this text to a date field so Excel will see
it as a date.

Can someone please help me? I have looked all over the place for a
solution and I have found nothing.

Also, if you know of a good place to get information on MS query
please let me know.

/Thanks!

wwolford wrote:
> I am using MS Query to pull files (from IBM AS400) and put them in
> Excel. However, when I do this the dates are now text fields. The text/
> Date field looks like this: 20070331 (YYYYMMDD)
>

>  I would like the change this text to a date field so Excel will see
> it as a date.
>
> Can someone please help me? I have looked all over the place for a
> solution and I have found nothing.
>
> Also, if you know of a good place to get information on MS query
> please let me know.
>
> /Thanks!

In Access you could use DateSerial.  Ex:
x ="20070331"
? dateserial(left(x,4),Mid(x,5,2),mid(x,7,2))
0
oil (4047)

How to link fields in MS word document to Access database
Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an access database? What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in an Access database. I also want to later select the document (from a file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields from the database. Of course if there are then any updates I want to put them back into the database. Workable? Anyone with sample code? Bob Alston On Jun 10, 6:21=A0pm, Bob Alston <bobalst...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an > access database? Hello Bob, Instead of Word documents I use RTF-documents. RTF-documents act just like Word documents in Word. The difference is that RFT-documents are plain text-files, and can easily be processed in Access to find - with the appropriate placeholders - the filled in information. HBInc. > > What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields > word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be > opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in > an Access database. =A0I also want to later select the document (from a > file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields > from the database. =A0Of course if there are then ...

Forcing a New Line in a Text Field in MS Access using VB
Heya! I feel I'm beating an old horse to death with this question but I can't get around the problem. I want to update a text field on a form with a string from a VB module. I need enter/linefeeds in the string. I've tried: Chr(10) & Chr(13) Chr(13) & Chr(10 vbnewline vbcrlf none of which seem to work. I've set the properties for the text box to [Enter Key Behavior] = 'New Line In Field' and [Can Grow] = 'yes'. At the moment, my code looks like this: celsql = celsql _ & "Program: " & encname _ & vbCrLf _ & vbCrLf _ & "Start Time: " & sttim _ & vbCrLf _ & "Participants: " & numpart _ & vbCrLf _ & "Confirmed by Curator: " & cbc _ & vbCrLf _ & "Client: " & clntnm _ & vbCrLf _ & "Contact: " & cntct _ & vbCrLf _ & vbCrLf Forms(frm)(bts) = celsql If I toss this string into a [MsgBox], it comes out fine. It's just something about the text field... I'm working in MSAccess 2007, but need it backwards compatible to 2003. I'd really appreciate any advice. Cheers, KG I've seen this type of problem before, but I typically just use a separate text box for each data field. Is there a par...

HELP! Retriving field names and properties from MS Access database using ASP
Hi everyone! I have a really frustrating error and need help. I&#8217;m trying to do a function that gets the properties and names of the fields in a MS Access database using ASP. I haven&#8217;t programmed in a while so I&#8217;m quite lost. Once I have the my database structure I will insert the corresponding fields from a web form but the database is huge and I want to be able to change the database and form without changing the ASP code all the time. This is my function that is not working yet. I cant seem to connect properly to the database... Function InsertDataBase() ...

Create date field from substring of text field
I am trying to populate a field in a SQL table based on the values returned from using substring on a text field. Example: Field Name = RecNum Field Value = 024071023 The 7th and 8th character of this number is the year. I am able to get those digits by saying substring(recnum,7,2) and I get '02'. Now what I need to do is determine if this is >= 50 then concatenate a '19' to the front of it or if it is less that '50' concatenate a '20'. This particular example should return '2002'. Then I want to take the result of this and populate a field called TaxYear. Any help would be greatly apprecaietd. Mark Mark, Assuming both RecNum and TaxYear fields are in the same table, you can use this script to populate TaxYear: update YourTable set TaxYear = case when SubString(RecNum,7,2) >= '50' then '19' + SubString(RecNum,7,2) else '20' + SubString(RecNum,7,2) end Shervin "Mark" <markcash@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:57bdc737.0310151257.1dc4d0a9@posting.google.com... > I am trying to populate a field in a SQL table based on the values > returned from using substring on a text field. > > Example: > > Field Name = RecNum > Field Value = 024071023 > > The 7th and 8th character of this number is the year. I am able to > get those digits by saying substring(recnum,7,2) and I get '02'. Now > what...

Converting a text field to a date field
I need to convert a Text field containing both auto and manually entered dates over to a Date field. The records that were autoentered move over without a problem. But those that were edited or entered manually using a two digit year do not. For example: 1/25/02 converts to 1/25/1902. Is there any workaround to solve this problem short of manually correcting the converted data. Thanks Carl if( year(DateField)<1920, date(month(DateField), day(DateField), year(DateField)+100), DateField) This will obviously take any year before 1920 and add a century to it. If you might legitimately...

MS Access Memo Fields
Hi I am a novice at Access (2002) and I need some help. I want to use a query to interrogate a memo field which contains the body of an email but despite help with the syntax etc. I can not get it to return any records. Can anyone tell me if there are limitations using queries on Memo fields? For example, do they just look at the first 255 characters, all the field contents or just not work at all The query I am running is: SELECT Emails.* FROM Emails WHERE ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%BUY%' Or ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%SELL%' ORDER BY Emails.[Message#]; I was also unsure whether the Like function is case sensitive Thanks <philip.spinks@gartmore.com> wrote in message news:1181653682.879684.93670@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hi > > I am a novice at Access (2002) and I need some help. I want to use a > query to interrogate a memo field which contains the body of an email > but despite help with the syntax etc. I can not get it to return any > records. > > Can anyone tell me if there are limitations using queries on Memo > fields? For example, do they just look at the first 255 characters, > all the field contents or just not work at all > > The query I am running is: > > SELECT Emails.* > FROM Emails > WHERE ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%BUY%' Or > ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%SELL%' > ORDER BY Emails.[Message#]; > > I was also unsure whether the Lik...

Accessing text form fields name=field[label]

Change table date/time field to text field in code
How can I programatically, take some Date/Time fields present in a table in the current database and change their type to text? dixie You can alter the column type by executing a DDL query. Example: Dim strSql As String strSql = "ALTER TABLE MyTable ALTER COLUMN MyField TEXT(20);" DBEngine(0)(0).Execute strSql, dbFailOnError I'm having difficulty imagining a scenario where it would be a good idea to use a Text type field to hold date/time data though. The approach would unleash a plethoria of issues, with criteria, sorting, date math, invalid entries, inter...

MS Access Memo field question?
Hi I was wondering is it possible to read write to a memo field in ms access, the same way you would read write to a text field? I have my database set up and reading writeing to the databse ok using text field but I have to now store strings which will contain 316 characters e.g 1315259804765771089746208008724780151971640940654061 5945089711350055105440014387233852223755558178959373 5901729523358226196346901333363266720160161567476750 8698500810033377223926558621622404221161922571217657 5908662820038302522362188659394554116014527409368579 573295108852401025657242056374503972313949815709 6436944847683848865450458408521580987232589912971236 713653320010771954202838636539445174893761859498584761 774348548858284051610193336458404802244737321229315795 259346400597219730922809042994571064196264789556436973 256754063980517342616225212190669661339367714653468330 0777901869239185845560584199360795573155 I need to do it beacuse Im encrypting ever thing in the database, Thank if you can help Niall ...

Reading in a binary field from MS Access
I am using ActiveX controls to query a MS access database and read the results into a Matlab cell array. When I try to read in a binary field (i.e. a field that has been set to 'Ole Object') Matlab automatically assumes it is uint8, and makes the conversion. How can I tell Matlab to treat the incoming binary data as uint32, which is the original format? Thanks! ...

SQL Server View integer field shows as text field in Access
Hi All! I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is defined as a text field in Access. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it? Thanks in advance! KB On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 20:31:43 -0700 (PDT), kevinfbutt <kevin.butt@iavalley.edu> wrote: That's quite unusual. Can you post the SQL for that field in that view? What version of Access and SQL Server? Fully patched? Can you replicate the problem with a view in one of the SQL Server sample databases? -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >Hi All! > >I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer >field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is >defined as a text field in Access. > >Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it? > >Thanks in advance! > >KB Is the column in the view the result of a calculation? If so, try applying the CAST or CONVERT function to coerce the result back into an integer. "kevinfbutt" <kevin.butt@iavalley.edu> wrote in message news:162bd7b3-e29e-4aba-bb57-e92bfd689684@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com... > Hi All! > > I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer > field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is > defined as a text field in Access. > > Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it? > >...

MS Access Primary Field on form lookup
I am creating one of my first databases and definetly my first in Access 2007. This might not be possible but here it goes. I have several maintenace forms I need to create. Each of these forms has a related table with a primary key. One of these tables is a "Customer" table with the primary key being the "CustomerCode" On the form for data entry I would like to have the "CustomerCode" do the following 1) Have a lookup so I can easily go to what ever customer I choose for editing. 2) If the user enters a Customer Code that is not in the system then the form automatically knows this is a new record, clears the old data from the form and allows the user to enter the new record. 3) User enters a Customer Code that does exist then the record is retrieved for viewing and or editing. Am I asking to much from the system and is this even possible. Any help appreciated. Ray The Combo Box Wizard gives you options that do what I think you are asking for. In the Controls toolbar be sure you have the "magic wand" icon selected, then click on the Combo Box icon, move your cursor to approximately where you want it on the Form, and click, then follow the instructions in the dialog. Larry Linson Microsoft Office Access MVP "eighthman11" <eighthman11@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d5d903bc-1a06-4520-a0ab-641d0509086c@d8g2000yqf.googlegroups.com... >I am creating one of my first databases and defin...

Autopopulating fields in a form, MS Access 2000
I have a table of about 6000 clients which have unique client numbers. I am creating a data entry form to log contacts with the clients. I want the client information (Name, Sales Rep, phone number, etc) to autopopulate fields on the form when the client number is entered. I have seen this done on another database I have access to, but have been unseccessfull in recreating it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? you want to use Dlookup in an event procedure that runs after you update the client number "lvroye" <rpellington@cox.net> wrote in message news:1176677779.920120.301110@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... >I have a table of about 6000 clients which have unique client numbers. > I am creating a data entry form to log contacts with the clients. I > want the client information (Name, Sales Rep, phone number, etc) to > autopopulate fields on the form when the client number is entered. I > have seen this done on another database I have access to, but have > been unseccessfull in recreating it. Can anyone point me in the right > direction? > Hi Ivroye I would not be keen to do a dlookup after the even. For a start, you only get 1 value back at a time, which may make for slow processing when you have to get a lot of data back. Try something like this Client Number <after update> dim db as dao.database set db = currentdb() dim rst as dao.recordset set rst = db.openrecordset("select * from tblClientInfo wher...

Inserting Date/Time into MS Access Database
I'm trying to insert a timestamp into an MS Access Database using the Labview database connectivity toolset.&nbsp; However, I keep getting an error saying that the parameter is in the incorrect format.&nbsp; I'm using the "DB Tools Format DateTime String.vi", and it doesn't seem to be working. Hello, I don't have the answer to your question, but.... How did you get information to be written into MS Access from labview. Thanks. If you are using this function to create the date but using SQL to put the date into the DB, this is probably the cause of your problem, because the VI adds a header to your string which is removed later by the parser. If you want to use this date in an SQL command, you should build it yourself or remove the header. &nbsp; As for roboticstudent, just look at the examples in the example finder to see how to interact with databases. I tried it both ways.&nbsp; I tried using the format date/time into string where it would return "11/7/05 8:22:34 PM", which I then tried to insert in to the DB, but to no avail.&nbsp; I even tried various formats, changing the order of the numbers, etc., but it doesn't seem to work. It would be easiest if you post your code, or at least an image of it. Also, which error exactly are you getting? Is it possible you're trying to enter a string into a numeric field (for example)? If I define a date\time field in Access and then use Insert Data (with the LV format...

what is equivalent of format(date) function of MS Access in MS Sql Server 2000
Hi All, I am facing a problem with a sql what i used in MS Access but its not returning the same result in MS Sql Server 2000. Here i am giving the sql: SELECT TOP 3 format( MY_DATE, "dddd mm, yyyy" ) FROM MY_TAB WHERE MY_ID=1 The above sql in ACCESS return me the date in below format in one column: Friday 09, 2003 But in Sql server 2000 i am not getting the same format eventhough i am using convert function, date part function etc. Please if you find the solution would be helpful for me.. Thanks Hoque Hi If you field is a datetime, you can use the CONVERT function to conver...

multiple conditions in a join, access doesn't like on (table1.field=table2.field and table1.field=table3.field)
Hi I have written the following query and am having problems with the last outer join in ms access... it doesn't like the multiple conditions that I have in there, if I have just one or the other its OK but not both... and I have tried putting the second condition in a where clause but then i don't get an outer join i'm pulling my hair out on this one... i would be extremely greatful for some ideas... SELECT ro.thickness,ro.width,ro.grade,sum(ro.pcs) as pieces, ro.length,GT.thicknessid,t.thicknessid,gt.gradethicknessgroupid, gtd.gradeid, gr.gradeid FROM(((NewOrders as RO LEFT OUTER JOIN Grades as GR on GR.gradename=ro.grade) LEFT OUTER JOIN thicknesses as t on t.imperialdecimal=ro.thickness) LEFT OUTER JOIN GradeThicknessGroups as GT on GT.thicknessid=t.thicknessid) LEFT OUTER JOIN GradeThicknessGroupDetail as GTD on (GTD.GradeThicknessGroupID=GT.GradeThicknessGroupID and gtd.gradeid=gr.gradeid) where gtd.gradeid=gr.gradeid GROUP BY ro.thickness,ro.width,ro.grade, ro.length,t.thicknessid,gr.gradeid,gt.thicknessid, gt.gradethicknessgroupid, gtd.gradeid Order By ro.thickness,ro.width my tables looks like this [NewOrders] ID (PK) Width Thickness Grade Length [Grade] GradeID (PK) GradeName [GradeThicknessGroups] GradeThicknessGroupID (PK) ThicknessID (FK: [Thickness]) [GradeThicknessGroupsDetails] GradeThicknessGroupDetailID (PK) GradeThicknessGroupID GradeID (FK: [Grade]) [Thickness] ThicknessID (PK) ImperialDecimal oops i left the where statement in.. r...

text fields to memo field
Is there a way to combine text fields into one memo field? This is an existing database. Some people in the database may have several "contact" entries where they have a "note" in a text field. I would like to figure a way to combine all the "note" fields for each person into one memo field. Thank you "RR" <texson552000@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<S6HRb.969$ee6.74@fe2.texas.rr.com>... > Is there a way to combine text fields into one memo field? > > This is an existing database. Some people in the database may have seve...

Inserting Date/Time into MS Access Database #2
Hi All I am using Labview 8.0. I am able to write the Date in MS Access but i am not able to read it through Labview. In my case i have to read the data where Start Date=02/10/2007 and End Date= 23/10/2007. I am using this command - SELECT*From Table_Name Where Date between '02/10/2007' AND '23/10/2007'&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; but i am getting error - Error -2147217887 occurred at Conn Execute.vi-&gt;Untitled 2.vi Possible reason(s):Exception occured in Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers: ODBC driver does not support the requested properties. in Conn Execute.vi-&gt;Untitled 2.vi Please give suggestion to read the data. regards J ...

MS Access Query with Distinct Column field Selection
1. MS ACCESS COMBO LIST = JAN;FEB;MAR;APR;MAY; ----------------------------------- 2. DATA TABLE: N1 | N2 | N3 | JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | -------------------------------------------- a1 | a2 | a3 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | b1 | b2 | b3 | 10 | 20 | 30 | 40 | 50 | c1 | c2 | c3 | 11 | 22 | 33 | 44 | 55 | 3. COMBO LIST SELECTION = FEB (Parameter may vary could be any column fields from JAN to DEC) 4. RESULTS TABLE: N1 | N2 | N3 | FEB | -------------------- a1 | a2 | a3 | 2 | b1 | b2 | b3 | 20 | c1 | c2 | c3 | 22 | 5 Is this RESULTS table possible in MS Access along with the combo option? bbcdancer@hotmail.com wrote: > > 1. MS ACCESS COMBO LIST = JAN;FEB;MAR;APR;MAY; > ----------------------------------- > > 2. DATA TABLE: > N1 | N2 | N3 | JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | > -------------------------------------------- > a1 | a2 | a3 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | > b1 | b2 | b3 | 10 | 20 | 30 | 40 | 50 | > c1 | c2 | c3 | 11 | 22 | 33 | 44 | 55 | > > > > 3. COMBO LIST SELECTION = FEB (Parameter may vary could be any column > fields from JAN to DEC) > > 4. RESULTS TABLE: > > N1 | N2 | N3 | FEB | > -------------------- > a1 | a2 | a3 | 2 | > b1 | b2 | b3 | 20 | > c1 | c2 | c3 | 22 | > > > 5 Is this RESULTS table possible in MS Access along with the combo > option? You didn't specify how you wanted to play/display the data. Dim s as string ...

How to read MS Access Database Table Created Date
Hi, may need some help here. I am using Borland Delphi Dev 2006. I am able to read the list of tables names in MS Access 2003 database using ADOConnection1.GetTableNames, but I am trying to read the list of tables with their created/modified dates, appreciate some help here please. Thanks. Xan. ...

Reading 1 Full Record All Fields From MS Access
Hi All - We bought the DB connectivity toolset awhile back, and I've pretty well gotten the Write functions down.&nbsp; I'm working on an application now that has to read 1 full record - and send 1 cluster of all those fields values back into my main VI.Looking at the examples in the manual they show how to load ALL the data from an entire database into a 2D array into your application, and specific data (1 record, 1 field) output.&nbsp; The first condition isn't viable, the DB is too big.&nbsp; And the second is a problem because there are a LOT of fields.&nbsp; I'd say about 80 fields defining upper and lower limits.&nbsp; This is probably bad db design, but thats out of my hands.I could use that second example, and just use a For loop incrementing the field to collect it all but that seems a bit too much.&nbsp; Has anyone had luck with a simple subvi where you submit a string - it searches 1 column, finds the string, then returns all of the field values? Hi I am not sure if this will be helpful, but let me&nbsp;show you what I am doing whenever using the access database. &nbsp; I am using the tools from <a href="http://jeffreytravis.com/lost/" target="_blank">http://jeffreytravis.com/lost/</a> With this you can use the sql query such as: select * from &lt;table name&gt; where &lt;field name&gt; = '&lt;value&gt;'; It will return all the fields of the records wh...

Need help locking fields. MS Access 2000
I am using MS Access 2000. I have a database that I use to keep weekly attendance records. In my table, each record consists of the fields: name, week 1, week 2, week 3, ect...(each week I add a new week field). I use a yes/no button to place a checkmark under each week to indicate whether a person was present (checked), or absent (no check). Here's my question: Can I lock the previous weekly fields to prevent accidentally checking or unchecking the box? For example can I lock weeks 1&2, but leave week 3 unlocked for editing? Thanks, moischmoe moischmoe wrote: > I am using MS Ac...

Web resources about - MS Qry and text field to date field - comp.databases.ms-access

Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Field (computer science) , a smaller piece of data from a larger collection (e.g., database fields) Text is available under the Creative Commons ...

Sally Field on Spider-Man films: Her hilarious frank admission
HOLLYWOOD legend Sally Field has never been afraid of speaking her mind.

Greg Inglis takes bizarre field goal attempt as Souths lose to Dragons
It was a bizarre end to a miserable afternoon for Souths fans.

Greg Inglis takes bizarre field goal attempt as Souths lose to Dragons
It was a bizarre end to a miserable afternoon for Souths fans. Enter Greg Inglis, one of the game's biggest stars, who took a shot at field goal. ...

Fox News Looks Forward to Having Michelle Fields Back, Just Not This Week
Michelle Fields has appeared on the Fox News weekend show Cashin’ In for the last couple of years, joining a panel of 3 other guests, moderated ...

Sally Field nailed the failure of the Spider-Man reboot movies in one brutal sentence
... of late as the superhero recently had a surprise appearance in the latest "Captain America: Civil War" trailer . But thanks to Sally Field's ...

St. Viator track and field will rely on depth
St. Viator track and field will rely on depth Chicago Tribune Senior Jacob Bonanotte is one of the area's top 800-meter runners, while seniors ...

Image of Asia: Walking through fields of gold in Kashmir
In this photo by Mukhtar Khan, a Kashmiri man walks through a mustard field during a rainy day on the outskirts of Srinagar in Indian-controlled ...

Sally Field: ‘Donald Trump’ Is Overrated
Sally Field: ‘Donald Trump’ Is Overrated

Insane Soccer Fans In The Congo Rush The Field, Stomp Out Referee
In case you were wondering if the kind of senseless violence against referees so commonly seen in South American and lower-level European soccer ...