Need Help on MLM database in MS Access

I am working on a MS Access database to track the sales of a 3 Tier Multi-
level Marketing system.

I have created a table to track a new RepID and a SponsorID. I have created
a query that will show the Sponsor and all of their reps but I am not sure
how to show the reps that the second tier has sponsored.

Example:

RepID 0011   SponsorID 0010
RepID 0012   SponsorID 0010
RepID 0013   SponsorID 0010

The above is easy but I am not sure how to get:

RepID 0014  SponsorID 0013 and his SponsorID 0010

Does anyone have any idea of a good way to do this?

Thank you,

Brent
0
forum8113 (49)

Brent,
It concept, it is a hierarchical data problem.  Others here have solutions
different from the three I know about.  Each solution to this problem has
its benefits and drawbacks.  Study each one to decide which works best for
you.

Solution 1:
Single table joined to itself and modeling a one-to-many relationship
between a row in the table and other related rows in the same table.

Solution 2:
Two tables, one is the detailed information about each thing in the
hierarchy (sales representative in your case) and the other is a two column
list of primary keys from the first table that lists which thing in the
first table is related to the other and modeling a many-to-many relationship
between a row in the first table and another row in the first table.

Solution 3:
Two tables like Solution 2 but with as many columns as are needed in Table 2
to list each level of the hierarchy.  This can make navigating the hierarchy
easier in some cases.

--
Alan Webb
knoNOgeek@SPAMhotmail.com

"Brent Taylor via AccessMonster.com" <forum@nospam.AccessMonster.com> wrote
in message news:7efacfe252de4bc5a2c1e47dd1c14ecf@AccessMonster.com...
>I am working on a MS Access database to track the sales of a 3 Tier Multi-
> level Marketing system.
>
> I have created a table to track a new RepID and a SponsorID. I have
> created
> a query that will show the Sponsor and all of their reps but I am not sure
> how to show the reps that the second tier has sponsored.
>
> Example:
>
> RepID 0011   SponsorID 0010
> RepID 0012   SponsorID 0010
> RepID 0013   SponsorID 0010
>
> The above is easy but I am not sure how to get:
>
> RepID 0014  SponsorID 0013 and his SponsorID 0010
>
> Does anyone have any idea of a good way to do this?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Brent

0
knoNOgeek (68)
4/26/2005 10:49:02 PM
Thank you for your response. I thought about the 3 items that you wrote but
I am not really sure how you mean to apply them.

Can you give me any further info?

Thank you.

forum4311 (450)
4/27/2005 2:33:17 PM
Brent,
I replied elsewhere that this is not a simple problem.  There are software
companies that sell packages which will do what you want.  If you have more
time than money then I suppose choosing to try and make something would be
worth it.  But be aware that custom software development can be a
hair-pulling and frustrating experience for client and developer alike.
You've got to have the stomach and balls for it.

--
Alan Webb
knoNOgeek@SPAMhotmail.com

"Brent Taylor via AccessMonster.com" <forum@AccessMonster.com> wrote in
message news:573ed2b81e61478484aaabf25eb07224@AccessMonster.com...
> Thank you for your response. I thought about the 3 items that you wrote
> but
> I am not really sure how you mean to apply them.
>
> Can you give me any further info?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --

knoNOgeek (68)

Help setting up Ms-Access Database
I'm hoping that someone here can give me some assistance with a database I'm trying to set up. My skills in Access are fairly basic, and I'm trying to skill up, but some of the stuff is a little opaque. I'm trying to put some data I've got on paper into Access. Recently, I got together with some other people marketing organic produce and offered to do some marketing for us on a coop basis in the city. The idea I had was to have four marketing packages for coop members with different rates and services. For want of something better lets call them P1, P2, P3 & P4 I'm thinking I'll need a table with the packages, and one listing the coop members with their details. In theory, a coop member might acquire another farm (either a new one or one from someone bailing out) and put it on a separate package. Which tables would have to have a relationship? I'm thinking the packages table containing the dat about each package would have to be related via a common field to the coop member table, and there would probably have to be a link between that and the farm table, through common fields -- maybe a unique ID in the coop member table could appear in the farm table and maybe the primary key from the package table could also appear in the farm table as a foreign key. But am I right? I'd also like to create a form that would list an individual coop member's details plus any packages they own and assume that all I'd need to do would ...

Help connect Ms access database
Hello All, I am trying to connect an MS database without utilizing the help of the "querybuilder", I know how to do that using the "querybuilder" but this can't work as I am trying to do an exe file and be able to use it for other pc's that I have. I am doing the following, please correct me if I am wrong, but it is not working at all: dbpath=[matlabroot,'a\toolbox\database\dbdemos\trial.accdb']; conurl = ['jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb,*.accdb)};' ... 'DBQ=' dbpath] conn=database('Trial_now','','&#...

MS Access Help: Copying database Relationships
Does anyone know if there's an easy way to export or copy the relationship structure from one mdb to a new one? The relationships in the db are time consuming to reproduce. I am trying to make a copy of a database including all the relationships, forms, queries and modules while still within the original database. This has to be a relatively automated process (button click). Any suggestions? yeah; use ACCESS DATA PROJECTS and you can do this all through TSQL. -aaron Instead of Exporting, make: Get External Data --> Import... All the existing relationships will be imported with the tables. Click on the Options button on the Import dialog window to have more choices. Also, I don't see your need to have made that much crossposting. -- Sylvain Lafontaine, ing. MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC "news.giganews.com" <anthony@cambria.com> wrote in message news:3PqdnaFVzZFht1HfRVn-vw@giganews.com... > Does anyone know if there's an easy way to export or copy the relationship > structure from one mdb to a new one? The relationships in the db are time > consuming to reproduce. I am trying to make a copy of a database including > all the relationships, forms, queries and modules while still within the > original database. This has to be a relatively automated process (button > click). Any suggestions? > > Check out the CreateRelation method in Access Help. There is an example there. I have not done this, ...

NEED HELP. MS ACCESS to do MLM Tracking
I am working on a MS Access database to track the sales of a 3 Tier Multi- level Marketing system. I have created a table to track a new RepID and a SponsorID. I have created a query that will show the Sponsor and all of their reps but I am not sure how to show the reps that the second tier has sponsored. Example: RepID 0011 SponsorID 0010 RepID 0012 SponsorID 0010 RepID 0013 SponsorID 0010 The above is easy but I am not sure how to get: RepID 0014 SponsorID 0013 and his SponsorID 0010 Does anyone have any idea of a good way to do this? Thank you, Brent -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com You need to build a query that links this tabe to itself, but mapping the SponsorID to the RepID: SELECT Rep.RepID, Rep.SponsorID, Sponsor.Sponsor ID FROM SponsorTbl as Rep INNER JOIN SponsorTbl as Sponsor ON Rep.SponsorID = Sponsor.RepID -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

MS Access Script to import data from external mde database to mdb database
Hi, Does anyone know of a way I can write a script that imports a table from a particular .mde file? I don't seen any obvious way to do it as a macro. Any suggestions if it can be done as a macro or as a written module? My ultimate goal is to have script that clears info out of 1 table in an .mdb file, imports an identically structured table from a .mde file, runs an append query I have in place to copy the data from the imported table to the table in my.mbd file, and then delete the imported table. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes, George Hadley ghadley_00@yahoo.com With DBEngine(0)(0) .Execute "DELETE * FROM Suppliers WHERE SupplierID IN (SELECT SupplierID FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers)" .Execute "INSERT INTO Suppliers SELECT * FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers" End With Is this code I would run as a module? Yes or you could use the strings in two separate saved queries. ...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

databases.ms-access
hi for fun masti, fashion, articles,mobiles, cars etc plz visit these sites http://www.familypk.com http://www.enttwist.com thanks ...

Web resources about - Need Help on MLM database in MS Access - comp.databases.ms-access