Need help with Access 2002 problem.

Can someone help?

Have a Microsoft Access 2002 database containing a few simple, flat
tables.

One table contains the main records, the other tables have been
created just to supply look-up data for some of the fields on the main
table. Some of the main table fields have been set up for "Look Up" as
"Combo Boxes". Let's say one of the fields is supposed to contain a
list of authors, and it is tied to a table named "Authors" that
contains some authors names.

My problem is this, let's say I have just created a new record in the
main table, and it is time to fill the field "Authors". To do this, I
go to that field, open the Combo Box, then realize the particular
author I need has not yet been entered in the "Authors" table. I could
of course, open the "Authors" table, create a record for the missing
author, then go back to the main table and find the formerly missing
author in the Combo Box, however, I would like to be able to just type
the missing author in the main table's author field and have some code
in the background that would first check that such a record does not
exist already in the "Authors" table, then append a new record to the
table and populate it with the name of the author I just typed, thus
saving me one step. There are probably more efficient ways using the
relational capabilities of the database management system, however,
for the time being, this is all I am looking for, so I don't have to
use querries to display all the needed data.

Can someone give me some sample code that gives an idea as to how to
achieve this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

A neophite.

Problem with accessing Access 2002 Database from VB6 IN xp
I am facing a problem with accesiing MS access 2002 (Office XP) with VB 6.0 using a common controls like MSFlex/data control. It gives a error invalid database..? could any body can help me ?.. is their any patches to add in VB 6.? Or any suitable reference to be added in VB..? Thanks, PK *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! What code are you using to connect to the database? <PK> wrote in message news:3f408cfb$0$193$75868355@news.frii.net... > I am facing a problem with accesiing MS access 2002 (Office XP) with VB > 6.0 using a common controls like MSFlex/data control. It gives a error > invalid database..? could any body can help me ?.. is their any patches > to add in VB 6.? Or any suitable reference to be added in VB..? > > Thanks, > > PK > > *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** > Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it! ...

Need Help on MLM database in MS Access
I am working on a MS Access database to track the sales of a 3 Tier Multi- level Marketing system. I have created a table to track a new RepID and a SponsorID. I have created a query that will show the Sponsor and all of their reps but I am not sure how to show the reps that the second tier has sponsored. Example: RepID 0011 SponsorID 0010 RepID 0012 SponsorID 0010 RepID 0013 SponsorID 0010 The above is easy but I am not sure how to get: RepID 0014 SponsorID 0013 and his SponsorID 0010 Does anyone have any idea of a good way to do this? Thank you, Brent Brent, It concept, it is a hierarchical data problem. Others here have solutions different from the three I know about. Each solution to this problem has its benefits and drawbacks. Study each one to decide which works best for you. Solution 1: Single table joined to itself and modeling a one-to-many relationship between a row in the table and other related rows in the same table. Solution 2: Two tables, one is the detailed information about each thing in the hierarchy (sales representative in your case) and the other is a two column list of primary keys from the first table that lists which thing in the first table is related to the other and modeling a many-to-many relationship between a row in the first table and another row in the first table. Solution 3: Two tables like Solution 2 but with as many columns as are needed in Table 2 to list each level of the hierarchy. This can make navigating...

Should I upgrade from MS Access 97 to MS Access 2002
Hi guys My company has in one of their products used Access 97 and MS JET 3.5 for several years now. Should we move the database to Access 2002 -which we use now in other parts of the company and also upgrade the MS JET to the latest version? And what does MS JET do? Kjell Arne Johansen MS Jet is the database engine that comes with, and is, by default, used by Microsoft Access. If you aren't having any troubles with the Access 97 database, then there isn't any technical reason to change. There may be company political reasons if, say, the IT department only wants to have one version of Access in-house. Another reason might be if you were concerned about getting support (error fix support) from Microsoft. Then again, when is the last time you had to call Microsoft support for this database? Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP "Kjell Arne Johansen" <kjell.arne.johansen@kongsberg-simrad.com> wrote in message news:3f2f8600.699258150@news.eunet.no... > Hi guys > > My company has in one of their products used Access 97 and MS JET 3.5 > for several years now. > > Should we move the database to Access 2002 -which we use now in other > parts of the company and also upgrade the MS JET to the latest > version? > > And what does MS JET do? > > Kjell Arne Johansen "Kjell Arne Johansen" <kjell.arne.johansen@kongsberg-simrad.com> wrote in message news:3f2f8600.699258150@news.eunet.no... > Hi gu...

Help-Access 2002 to Access 2000
Anyone that may be able to help. I have MS Access 2000 installed. I need to convert some MS Access 2002 database files to MS Access 2000 needed for a course. Does anyone know how to convert? I tried but just get an error message to upgrade, but the MS website says this can be done. Thanks anyone. If the files are in Access 2002 format, you need Access 2002 (or 2003) to convert them back to Access 2000 format. You cannot open Access 2002 format files using Access 2000. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Karen" <kiy@nl.rogers.com> wrote in message news:cii6da$iau$1@nntp-stjh-01-01.rogers.nf.net... > Anyone that may be able to help. > > I have MS Access 2000 installed. I need to convert some MS Access 2002 > database files to MS Access 2000 needed for a course. Does anyone know how > to convert? I tried but just get an error message to upgrade, but the MS > website says this can be done. > > Thanks anyone. > > ...

Access needs to be installed for me to use MS Access
Hi, Is it required for MS Access to be installed on machines on which I need to deploy windows app which uses MS Access as its backend. If no then how do I access and wrie to access database? Thanks, Vikas. <vikassah@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1166161668.556801.183030@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Is it required for MS Access to be installed on machines on which I > need to deploy windows app which uses MS Access as its backend. If no > then how do I access and wrie to access database? If Access, or the Access runtime (from the developer extensions) is not on the user's machine, then the front-end can be written in a language that supports either DAO or ADO, both of which are available in libraries that are compatible with classic VB (through V6), C++, C#, or VB.NET. There are ther programming languages that can use Windows DLLs, too. Just for the record, though even Microsoft makes the same slip, what you have is _not_ an Access backend, but a Jet database engine backend. DAO support for Jet is available in the "MDAC 5.0" and earlier, and ADO support is available in that, and later versions of MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components). Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP ...

Conversion Problem: Access 2000 to Access 2002
Please excuse my ignorance in this area, being an amateur Access user. I have an Access 2000 application which runs fine, however when I convert it to Access 2002 and run it, it comes up with repeated error messages, as for example in the code below when it reaches the line rst.Edit The message is: Microsoft Visual Basic Compile Error: Method or data member not found. What is missing from my conversion? The code is as follows: Dim intdummy As Integer intdummy = tblcheck() Dim MyDb As Database Dim rst As Recordset Set MyDb = CurrentDb Set rst = MyDb.OpenRecordset("USysSecurity") 'Check if there are any records in the table If (rst.EOF And rst.BOF) Then ' There are no records in the file ' Create a record for next time With rst ..AddNew ..Update End With Else ' there are records in the file rst.Edit etc... Don't know anything about Access2002, but I suspect you are missing a reference to the Microsoft Office Library (In the VB window see Tools->References) HTH Phil "John Furphy" <johnfurphy@a1.com.au> wrote in message news:4ce579e8.0410222142.43635265@posting.google.com... > Please excuse my ignorance in this area, being an amateur Access user. > > I have an Access 2000 application which runs fine, however when I > convert it to Access 2002 and run it, it comes up with repeated error > messages, as for example in the code below when it reaches the line > > rst.Edit > > The message is: >...

Problem with MS Access Database
------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C56A17.539605A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I'm using wxWidgets now a long time for designig my applications. This weekend I tried first to use the Database classes, but I've got a problem with them... I've got an Microsoft Access Datenbase, with two tables: Orte(ID, Staat, Name, and so on) PLZOrte(ID, PLZ) This tables are set into a relationship. The field ID ist the primary key in Orte and set up the relation. Now I'd like to do a query to this database in my...

MS Access
I need a quick help regarding MS Access reports. Let me explain the scenario in my report with an example: Total marks scored by students in a various level. I have ordered it according to the level first. For the level I have a group header. Under a particular level I have ordered it according to the section. I have not introduced a group header for section. Now I need to calculate the total marks of the students on the particular section and also at the particular level. ---------------------- Level: 1 ---------------------- Section A 1) Student 1 � Mark 2) Student 2 � Mark 3) Student 3 � Mark Total: ------- Section B 1) Student 1 � Mark 2) Student 2 � Mark 3) Student 3 � Mark Total: ------- ----------------------- Total Marks at the Level: -------- ----------------------- Calculating the total marks for the level is not a problem as there is group header. But calculating the total marks for the section is now a problem. I cannot use a group header for the section as it is making changes in my logic. I have set the section text box to hide the duplicate values. So it appears like a header. How should I calculate the total marks for the session? Can I write a VBA script that makes this work like footer? Could anybody help me on this? Jack, This is *so* much a data warehouse problem. Your grain of fact is each assignment for a student, session (date a section met), section, class, term and classroom. Your dimensions are at a minimum student,...

Ms. Access database problem
Hello, I have a MS. Access database in XP. When I open the database in design view, users will get an error message & cannot even open the database. Is there any way to solve this problem? Thanks for your help in advance. Orchid What error message? Did you try the standard compact/repair routine? Thanks for your reply! The error message is: "The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin' on machine 'Name' that prevents it from being opened or locked." Yeah, I tried the standard compact/repair routine, (which is under Tool, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair Database...)but still got the same error message. "Orchid" <yhtong86@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<1112194542.469115.105910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>... > Thanks for your reply! > The error message is: "The database has been placed in a state by user > 'Admin' on machine 'Name' that prevents it from being opened or > locked." > > Yeah, I tried the standard compact/repair routine, (which is under > Tool, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair Database...)but still got > the same error message. try deleting the *.ldb file on the machine that has it opened or locked. Orchid wrote: > Hello, > I have a MS. Access database in XP. When I open the database in design > view, users will get an error message & cannot even open the database. > Is there any way to solve this problem?...

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); ----------------------------------- The error message I got is: "Unknown connection option in connection string: driver." for str_1 and " Unknown connection option in connection string: provider." for str_2 So I am wondering, where is the problem? Is it because my connection string for MS Access is specified wrongly? Or is it because I cannot use SqlHelper to access the MS Access database? ( I have used SqlHelper class to access the MS SQL server, and it works) Your help will be greatly appreciated. James James wrote: > Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine > in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. > > But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application > Blocks to access the database. > > I have tried 2 possible connection strings. > > ----------------------------------------- > ...

Wanted
I am wanting to be able to write reports against an ms-access database that is part of another package. I only want to report from the database. What I need is a package that will allow me to create the reports and then be able to distribute a run-time version. The client may not have Office so the package must run standalone. It could get to the Access database through an ODBC driver. Does anyone know what packages available? It looks like Crystal Reports has taken out their runtime version with their latest software but that was only a footnote in a book that I was reading. Please provide me with a list to start researching. Thanks, Joe There used to be other third-party report writers, but I don't know how many have survived over the years -- Crystal Reports appears to have been the most popular of these packages. (It is the only one that I have observed closely in use, and I saw some impressive work done with it on web applications against SQL Server.) Unless the magnitude of the distributable would be a problem, you can create your reports in Access, and distribute the Access application to run them with Access' runtime support. You'll get the Access runtime support in the Office Developer Edition for Access 97 - 2002, and in the Visual Studio.NET Tools for Office 2003 System for Access 2003. If you have difficulties with deployment using only the Packaging and Distribution Wizard, you can use a third-party installer such as Wise InstallMaster or Instal...

Does MS Access db have problems with multiple users access it at once?
I am developing an Access db which will be used by multiple users. My questions are: Does MS Access have problems with multiple users accessing the db at once? If yes, what is your solution to this problem? I was informed that Access is not a good application for multiple users accessing it at once. Thank you for your assistance to this issue of mine. Will the users just be reading, or will multiple users be writing at the same time? I've seen data corruption in older (Access '97) databases with large numbers of users reading and writing. I haven't seen any corruption where there's only one user writing. You might want to take a look at using MS-SQL, but it depends a lot on and whether the complexity of the application warrents the add'l resource investment... chloemelmom@yahoo.com (mary) wrote in message news:<a0a64947.0311251150.1357819@posting.google.com>... > I am developing an Access db which will be used by multiple users. My > questions are: > > Does MS Access have problems with multiple users accessing the db at > once? > > If yes, what is your solution to this problem? > > I was informed that Access is not a good application for multiple > users accessing it at once. > > Thank you for your assistance to this issue of mine. ...

Accessability Problem: Need keystoke access to components other than JButton
I am working with handicapped computer users, mostly people with cerebral palsy. They do not have the coordination to be able to work a mouse, but they can, with varying degrees of effort, type on a keyboard. I therefore want every item on a dialog to be accessable using keyboard shortcuts. JButton supports the Mnemonic feature by which the user can select a JButton using Alt-letter. But this is not available as an option on other classes of input components. Many commercial applications, for example MS-Word, in which significant effort has gone into facilitating keyboard access. On thei...

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon ...

need help on Access database glitch
I am using a custom built Access database from 2002. The Access version is 2003. The computer was just upgraded from Windows 98 to Vista. after the conversion, certain forms and queries don't work. It appears that the selective forms are not permitting data to be entered. however, we don't have rights management built in. The crazy thing is when a programmer friend download the database onto his computer, these forms and queries worked fine. On my end, I've used four different computers to no avail. Some were running XP, others Vista. But when I use the old computer running Windows 98, the forms and queriers work. I have opened up the forms in Design View, and made sure the editing features and data entry features were all set to "yes". So it would appear that the settings are correct. But does anyone know if there are anything else I could try, or are there other settings within Access or the actual computer that could be causing this? ...

Web resources about - Need help with Access 2002 problem. - comp.databases.ms-access

China has a $777 billion problem with unpaid bills
Not since 1999 have China's companies had so much trouble getting customers to actually pay for what they've bought.

China has a $777 billion problem with unpaid bills
Not since 1999 have China's companies had so much trouble getting customers to actually pay for what they've bought.

China has a $777 billion problem with unpaid bills
Not since 1999 have China's companies had so much trouble getting customers to actually pay for what they've bought.

John Oliver: All Of The Legal, Economic, And Practical Problems With Donald Trump’s Wall
About the Trump wall. There are just a few problems with that...

Zero rates may be the problem stopping inflation
US Federal Reserve voting member James Bullard suggested that zero interest rate policy might be preventing much-needed inflation returning. ...

Mini-review: tvOS 9.2 fixes all the Apple TV’s biggest problems
... the work of building the Apple TV into a platform rather than just a streaming box. That platform mostly seems solid, and its biggest problems ...

Things I Didn’t Know Were Problems
Pigeons and tawny crazy ants. Who knew? Here’s something that might be a problem: Would you be alarmed if your smallish freshwater fish tank ...

Leak suggests iPhone 7 might actually address the iPhone’s biggest problem
... and a brand new report brings us more information suggesting that Apple's new iPhone 7 might actually address the iPhone lineup's biggest problem. ...

Despite a "Terror Recruitment Problem", Obama Continues Importing Nearly 1,000 Somalis Each Month
... in Somalia. Others have been convicted of sending material support to overseas terrorist organizations... ...The [radicalization] problem has ...