New in MS Access, need help

Hello Everyone,

I am new in MS Access and I was tasked to create a porject.

I have done some initial things already but need help and guidance:
- I have a text field in a form where users are allowed to enter data.
I need to ensure that the value that the user enters is unique (ensure
that the the value is not available in the table). How do I do that?

- In the same form, I created a list box to display the existing
values in the table, how do i refresh the values in the list box when
the users enter a new value or updates the table

Thanks,
rhiz

0
lrheeza (1)

Databases and database applications don't begin with Forms -- they begin
with User Requirements and the Data needed to fill those requirements.
Without some idea of what you have, and what you are trying to accomplish,
it's possible that we might (correctly in a technical sense) answer your
questions and not be much help at all.

You can ensure that an entry into a field doesn't duplicate an existing
entry, if you make that field an index on the table, and do not allow
duplicates (this is done in table design); it can also be handled in code in
form events.

How are the users going to update the data displayed in the list box?  The
Query used as Row Source for the list box will be executed when the Form is
opened;  you can refresh the List Box by executing its Requery method.
Generally, if I am doing something similar to what you describe, I'll do it
with a Combo Box -- in that case, nothing need be done to ensure that the
new value is used.

If you can clarify, you might get some more specific answers.

 Larry Linson
 Microsoft Office Access MVP

<lrheeza@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am new in MS Access and I was tasked to create a porject.
>
> I have done some initial things already but need help and guidance:
> - I have a text field in a form where users are allowed to enter data.
> I need to ensure that the value that the user enters is unique (ensure
> that the the value is not available in the table). How do I do that?
>
> - In the same form, I created a list box to display the existing
> values in the table, how do i refresh the values in the list box when
> the users enter a new value or updates the table
>
> Thanks,
> rhiz

0
bouncer (4168)

Access needs to be installed for me to use MS Access
Hi, Is it required for MS Access to be installed on machines on which I need to deploy windows app which uses MS Access as its backend. If no then how do I access and wrie to access database? Thanks, Vikas. <vikassah@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1166161668.556801.183030@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Is it required for MS Access to be installed on machines on which I > need to deploy windows app which uses MS Access as its backend. If no > then how do I access and wrie to access database? If Access, or the Access runtime (from the developer extensio...

Help setting up Ms-Access Database
I'm hoping that someone here can give me some assistance with a database I'm trying to set up. My skills in Access are fairly basic, and I'm trying to skill up, but some of the stuff is a little opaque. I'm trying to put some data I've got on paper into Access. Recently, I got together with some other people marketing organic produce and offered to do some marketing for us on a coop basis in the city. The idea I had was to have four marketing packages for coop members with different rates and services. For want of something better lets call them P1, P2, P3 & P4 I&#...

Help connect Ms access database
Hello All, I am trying to connect an MS database without utilizing the help of the "querybuilder", I know how to do that using the "querybuilder" but this can't work as I am trying to do an exe file and be able to use it for other pc's that I have. I am doing the following, please correct me if I am wrong, but it is not working at all: dbpath=[matlabroot,'a\toolbox\database\dbdemos\trial.accdb']; conurl = ['jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb,*.accdb)};' ... 'DBQ=' dbpath] conn=database('Trial_now','','&#...

I need Help with this MS Access 2003 Project
This is what I have to do: Create an application to automate the tasks of a medium-sized pet kennel which we'll call "Your Name Pet Hotel". The application needs to automate tasks such as: Entering customer information - name, address, etc. Entering pet information - pet name, pet breed, weight, color, (possibly a picture of the pet), medical conditions, medications, comments. Entering visit information - date of arrival and departure, details of services provided to the pet: type of kennel (indoor, outdoor, suite), grooming: haircut, nails, bath. Performing searches based on p...

MS-Access new user needs advice.
Hi Is there an easy way to enter lots of duplicate data in Access, like you can in Excel by just clicking and dragging? I have various fields that require the same data for each record and I can only find reference to repeating whats in the previous field when trying to duplicate data. Is there a quick way to enter the same data into a particular field for many records? Thanks Johno Either: Update query, or In data sheet format, arrange records so that those requiring the standard data are together, then fill in the top field, down arrow to the same field in the next record and type ctrl+&#...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

For new project
Dear All, I am planing to start the project for store keeping, in excel i have little bit good knowledge so i have explain the project compare to excel. 1. I NEED 2 USER FORM FOR , INCOMING MATERIAL AND OUTGOING MATRIAL, ONCE CLICK THE INCOMING METRIAL (BUTTON) THIS ARE THE FIELD ARE CONTAIN LIKE, DATE,MATRIAL NAME,INCOMING TIME,QUANTITY,REMARK , THIS ARE THE DATA IN SHEET1(I NEED IN ACCESS), OUTGOING MATRIAL, ONCE CLICK THE OUTGONING METRIAL (BUTTON) THIS ARE THE FIELD ARE CONTAIN LIKE, DATE,MATRIAL NAME,OUT GOING TIME ,QUANTITY,REMARK , THIS ARE THE DATA IN SHEET2(I NEED IN ACCESS), 2. WEATHER I WILL CLICK THE REPORT BUTTON,HAVE SHOW REPORT SHEET BASED ON SELECTION OF PRODUCT, I WILL SHOW ENTRIE DETAILS EG:RUBBER INCOMING IS 3,OUT GOING IS 2 SHOW BALANCE IT WILL SHOW 1 AVAILABLE IN STOCK. CAN ANY ONE DO THE NEEDFUL, THIS PROJECT WILLING DO IN ACCESS WITH MACRO ONLY. REGARDS, DEEN Help me understand what you mean... By "can anyone do the needful", are you looking for (1) assistance when you have a specific problem, (1) do you mean you want someone to design and implement for you for free, (3) you want to hire someone to create the database for you, or (4) something else entirely? Here are some answers to the questions: (1) this is what newsgroups are intended to provide, (2) this is not the purpose of newsgroups, (3) technical newsgroups are not intended for employment solicitations or other advertising, and (4) you'd have to e...

(OT) need off-list help with MS Access (reports)
I know that there are specific fora for asking questions about this, but I was wondering if any of the "usual CLC participants" might be relatively experienced using MS Access' report features and might be able to help me with some (beginners) questions? If so, please send me a note off-list. These are NOT "do your own homework" questions,but they are certainly "beginner's" questions that I *should* be able to answer on my own, but just haven't been able to (yet). -- Bill Klein wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com William M. Klein wrote: >...

Need help locking fields. MS Access 2000
I am using MS Access 2000. I have a database that I use to keep weekly attendance records. In my table, each record consists of the fields: name, week 1, week 2, week 3, ect...(each week I add a new week field). I use a yes/no button to place a checkmark under each week to indicate whether a person was present (checked), or absent (no check). Here's my question: Can I lock the previous weekly fields to prevent accidentally checking or unchecking the box? For example can I lock weeks 1&2, but leave week 3 unlocked for editing? Thanks, moischmoe moischmoe wrote: > I am using MS Ac...

Oracle Person Needs help with MS Access Queries
Hi This may be a really easy answer for you! I usually work with Oracle but have an Access project to work on. I have a table of clients (name, addr1, addr2, addr3, pcode etc) which I need to use as a basis for a query result set which will include literal values for an accounting package. The way I do this in Oracle is: select tabname.col1,tabname.col2,tabname.col3,tabname.col4,"28 Days From Receipt of Invoice","500","4027 Unrestricted Income",tabname.col5,tabname.col6 from tabname where tabname.col7=sysdate; How do I put the literal values into an Access q...

I need to "hack" into an MS Access program
An odd confession; an odd request; but here's the tale.... My company has a few PC systems which we have used for about 7 years and not updated - we've "made do", and besides, "if it ain't broke....." as they say. Anyway, everything's finally getting replaced by a new set-up, and there is just one program, an Access program running under Windows 95, which we want to change for the most minor of amendments (almost cosmetic). The guy who wrote the program for us died 3 years ago, and was a one-man band anyway. A software company has offered to re-write the p...

Web resources about - New in MS Access, need help - comp.databases.ms-access

Local access and transport area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Local access and transport area (LATA) is a term used in U.S. telecommunications regulation. It represents a geographical area of the United ...

Facebook Expanding Access to Conversion Lift Measurement
Facebook launched conversion lift measurement in January 2015 with the goal of helping advertisers track conversions instead of clicks, and the ...

Planet OS Opens Access To Weather Data
... for software developers using weather data to power their apps, researchers and climate specialists enabling them to discover, access and build ...

Access your clipboard from any PC or Mac with 1Clipboard
1Clipboard is a free tool which enables sharing your clipboard contents with other PCs or Macs. The developer says that Android and iOS apps ...

Sci-Hub — Free access to every scientific paper ever published
Say what? How is it I only heard of this this week? Long story headlined "Should All Research Papers Be Free?" from the New York Times short: ...

US says losing access to China-claimed waters would be huge
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — A U.S. Navy commander warned Wednesday that if the United States lost access to international waters claimed by China ...

MIT, Harvard researchers push new way for users to control access to personal data
Cryptography researchers at MIT and Harvard have developed software called Sieve that is designed to help users keep track of encrypted personal ...

How to access Google Drive files faster with Launch Center Pro
... Launch Center Pro has solved many workflow problems for me over the years. Most recently it’s been an immense time-saver when it comes to accessing ...

Cal Investigation Finds Assistant Coach Sexually Harassed Reporter Who Accused Him Of Trying To Trade ...
... a copy of Cal’s investigation into the matter, and even Hufnagel’s own statements make it appear that he attempted to trade sex for access, ...

Paragon's early access starts now, no more progress wipes
Paragon is gearing up for launch in the future, but for now, Epic is keen on putting it into an Early Access phase. The good news is that there ...