no format assignment for a form's textbox control... Access assumes control's data is going to be placed in a finite length text field of a table

I have a form with two controls:
[Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] - combo box
[Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] - text box

A button on the form tries to run this SQL when clicked...
INSERT INTO BodyMsgsSent (ToWhom, BodyText)
SELECT DISTINCTROW [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] AS MyTargets,
[Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] AS MyList;

When the SQL runs, it fails with msg saying "Field length is too
long". I don't know why, because BodyMsgsSent.BodyTextHere is a
memo-type field. If the string I type in
[Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] is very short, the error does not
occur. But naturally, this control is likely to have a LOT of text in
it. It is, after all, made to hold the body text of a letter.

So, why does Access fail when trying to put the contents of this
control into a table's memo field when there are, say, 400 chars
typed into the control??? I have no way of formatting the control
to tell Access 2.0 that the control is supposed to contain VLSs
intended for storage into a memo field.
0
CRCI (2317)

What is the bound column of the combobox? Is it's data longer than the field
it is going into?

Mike Storr
www.veraccess.com

"MLH" <CRCI@NorthState.net> wrote in message
> I have a form with two controls:
> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] - combo box
> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] - text box
>
> A button on the form tries to run this SQL when clicked...
> INSERT INTO BodyMsgsSent (ToWhom, BodyText)
> SELECT DISTINCTROW [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] AS MyTargets,
> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] AS MyList;
>
> When the SQL runs, it fails with msg saying "Field length is too
> long". I don't know why, because BodyMsgsSent.BodyTextHere is a
> memo-type field. If the string I type in
> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] is very short, the error does not
> occur. But naturally, this control is likely to have a LOT of text in
> it. It is, after all, made to hold the body text of a letter.
>
> So, why does Access fail when trying to put the contents of this
> control into a table's memo field when there are, say, 400 chars
> typed into the control??? I have no way of formatting the control
> to tell Access 2.0 that the control is supposed to contain VLSs
> intended for storage into a memo field.

0
storrboy (404)
1/11/2004 8:24:12 PM
You say that BodyMsgsSent.BodyTextHere  is a memo field;
what about BodyMsgsSent.BodyText?

That's where you're trying to stuff this information.

    - Turtle

"MLH" <CRCI@NorthState.net> wrote in message
> I have a form with two controls:
> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] - combo box
> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] - text box
>
> A button on the form tries to run this SQL when clicked...
> INSERT INTO BodyMsgsSent (ToWhom, BodyText)
> SELECT DISTINCTROW [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] AS MyTargets,
> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] AS MyList;
>
> When the SQL runs, it fails with msg saying "Field length is too
> long". I don't know why, because BodyMsgsSent.BodyTextHere is a
> memo-type field. If the string I type in
> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] is very short, the error does not
> occur. But naturally, this control is likely to have a LOT of text in
> it. It is, after all, made to hold the body text of a letter.
>
> So, why does Access fail when trying to put the contents of this
> control into a table's memo field when there are, say, 400 chars
> typed into the control??? I have no way of formatting the control
> to tell Access 2.0 that the control is supposed to contain VLSs
> intended for storage into a memo field.

0
macdermott1 (571)
1/11/2004 9:59:33 PM
Its an UNbound control
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:24:12 -0500, "Mike Storr"
<storrboy@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>What is the bound column of the combobox? Is it's data longer than the field
>it is going into?
>
>Mike Storr
>www.veraccess.com
>

>"MLH" <CRCI@NorthState.net> wrote in message
>> I have a form with two controls:
>> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] - combo box
>> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] - text box
>>
>> A button on the form tries to run this SQL when clicked...
>> INSERT INTO BodyMsgsSent (ToWhom, BodyText)
>> SELECT DISTINCTROW [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] AS MyTargets,
>> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] AS MyList;
>>
>> When the SQL runs, it fails with msg saying "Field length is too
>> long". I don't know why, because BodyMsgsSent.BodyTextHere is a
>> memo-type field. If the string I type in
>> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] is very short, the error does not
>> occur. But naturally, this control is likely to have a LOT of text in
>> it. It is, after all, made to hold the body text of a letter.
>>
>> So, why does Access fail when trying to put the contents of this
>> control into a table's memo field when there are, say, 400 chars
>> typed into the control??? I have no way of formatting the control
>> to tell Access 2.0 that the control is supposed to contain VLSs
>> intended for storage into a memo field.

0
CRCI (2317)
1/12/2004 2:28:52 AM
Its a memo field
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:59:33 GMT, "MacDermott" <macdermott@nospam.com>
wrote:

>You say that BodyMsgsSent.BodyTextHere  is a memo field;
>what about BodyMsgsSent.BodyText?
>
>That's where you're trying to stuff this information.
>
>    - Turtle
>
>"MLH" <CRCI@NorthState.net> wrote in message
>> I have a form with two controls:
>> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] - combo box
>> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] - text box
>>
>> A button on the form tries to run this SQL when clicked...
>> INSERT INTO BodyMsgsSent (ToWhom, BodyText)
>> SELECT DISTINCTROW [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] AS MyTargets,
>> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] AS MyList;
>>
>> When the SQL runs, it fails with msg saying "Field length is too
>> long". I don't know why, because BodyMsgsSent.BodyTextHere is a
>> memo-type field. If the string I type in
>> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] is very short, the error does not
>> occur. But naturally, this control is likely to have a LOT of text in
>> it. It is, after all, made to hold the body text of a letter.
>>
>> So, why does Access fail when trying to put the contents of this
>> control into a table's memo field when there are, say, 400 chars
>> typed into the control??? I have no way of formatting the control
>> to tell Access 2.0 that the control is supposed to contain VLSs
>> intended for storage into a memo field.

0
CRCI (2317)
1/12/2004 2:30:04 AM
One column of the combo box is set to return a value when a choice is made.
This is called the "Bound Column". It does not mean it is bound to a field
in a table. The default for the column is 0, meaning the first one. When a
choice is made, the value of the combobox becomes whatever value is in the
bound column. Check to see that it's the right datatype and within the
length limit of the table field you're trying to put it in.

> Its an UNbound control
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:24:12 -0500, "Mike Storr"
> <storrboy@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> >What is the bound column of the combobox? Is it's data longer than the
field
> >it is going into?
> >
> >Mike Storr
> >www.veraccess.com
> >

> >"MLH" <CRCI@NorthState.net> wrote in message
> >> I have a form with two controls:
> >> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] - combo box
> >> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] - text box
> >>
> >> A button on the form tries to run this SQL when clicked...
> >> INSERT INTO BodyMsgsSent (ToWhom, BodyText)
> >> SELECT DISTINCTROW [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] AS MyTargets,
> >> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] AS MyList;
> >>
> >> When the SQL runs, it fails with msg saying "Field length is too
> >> long". I don't know why, because BodyMsgsSent.BodyTextHere is a
> >> memo-type field. If the string I type in
> >> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] is very short, the error does not
> >> occur. But naturally, this control is likely to have a LOT of text in
> >> it. It is, after all, made to hold the body text of a letter.
> >>
> >> So, why does Access fail when trying to put the contents of this
> >> control into a table's memo field when there are, say, 400 chars
> >> typed into the control??? I have no way of formatting the control
> >> to tell Access 2.0 that the control is supposed to contain VLSs
> >> intended for storage into a memo field.

0
storrboy (404)
1/12/2004 3:31:29 AM
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:31:29 -0500, "Mike Storr"
<storrboy@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>One column of the combo box is set to return a value when a choice is made.
>This is called the "Bound Column". It does not mean it is bound to a field
>in a table. The default for the column is 0, meaning the first one. When a
>choice is made, the value of the combobox becomes whatever value is in the
>bound column. Check to see that it's the right datatype and within the
>length limit of the table field you're trying to put it in.

The combo box control contents are not producing the error. If we take
the combo box off the form and remove its reference from the query,
the error still occurs. Its the LONG text string in the text box that
produces the error.

My work-around has been to Dim 2 global vars as String, assign
them values of the strings in the 2 controls on the form AfterUpdate
of each control and reference the global vars inside my append
query. The query works as desired - putting the same identical VLS
into the table's memo field - but with no "Field length is too
long" error. I'm still quite curious as to why I can't put the same
string in there with a Forms!FormName!ControlName reference.
0
CRCI (2317)
1/12/2004 1:37:53 PM
How are you running this SQL?
Is it saved as a query?
Are you using DoCmd.RunSQL or CurrentDB.Execute?

    - Turtle

"MacDermott" <macdermott@nospam.com> wrote in message
> You say that BodyMsgsSent.BodyTextHere  is a memo field;
> what about BodyMsgsSent.BodyText?
>
> That's where you're trying to stuff this information.
>
>     - Turtle
>
> "MLH" <CRCI@NorthState.net> wrote in message
> > I have a form with two controls:
> > [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] - combo box
> > [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] - text box
> >
> > A button on the form tries to run this SQL when clicked...
> > INSERT INTO BodyMsgsSent (ToWhom, BodyText)
> > SELECT DISTINCTROW [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] AS MyTargets,
> > [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] AS MyList;
> >
> > When the SQL runs, it fails with msg saying "Field length is too
> > long". I don't know why, because BodyMsgsSent.BodyTextHere is a
> > memo-type field. If the string I type in
> > [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] is very short, the error does not
> > occur. But naturally, this control is likely to have a LOT of text in
> > it. It is, after all, made to hold the body text of a letter.
> >
> > So, why does Access fail when trying to put the contents of this
> > control into a table's memo field when there are, say, 400 chars
> > typed into the control??? I have no way of formatting the control
> > to tell Access 2.0 that the control is supposed to contain VLSs
> > intended for storage into a memo field.

0
macdermott1 (571)
1/13/2004 1:43:02 AM
I'm using RunSQL to launch it. I've saved it as a query
and ran it that way - same problem either way.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 01:43:02 GMT, "MacDermott" <macdermott@nospam.com>
wrote:

>How are you running this SQL?
>Is it saved as a query?
>Are you using DoCmd.RunSQL or CurrentDB.Execute?
>
>    - Turtle
>
>"MacDermott" <macdermott@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> You say that BodyMsgsSent.BodyTextHere  is a memo field;
>> what about BodyMsgsSent.BodyText?
>>
>> That's where you're trying to stuff this information.
>>
>>     - Turtle
>>
>> "MLH" <CRCI@NorthState.net> wrote in message
>> > I have a form with two controls:
>> > [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] - combo box
>> > [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] - text box
>> >
>> > A button on the form tries to run this SQL when clicked...
>> > INSERT INTO BodyMsgsSent (ToWhom, BodyText)
>> > SELECT DISTINCTROW [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] AS MyTargets,
>> > [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] AS MyList;
>> >
>> > When the SQL runs, it fails with msg saying "Field length is too
>> > long". I don't know why, because BodyMsgsSent.BodyTextHere is a
>> > memo-type field. If the string I type in
>> > [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] is very short, the error does not
>> > occur. But naturally, this control is likely to have a LOT of text in
>> > it. It is, after all, made to hold the body text of a letter.
>> >
>> > So, why does Access fail when trying to put the contents of this
>> > control into a table's memo field when there are, say, 400 chars
>> > typed into the control??? I have no way of formatting the control
>> > to tell Access 2.0 that the control is supposed to contain VLSs
>> > intended for storage into a memo field.

0
CRCI (2317)
1/13/2004 8:38:59 PM
Could you post the actual line of code?

    - Turtle

> I'm using RunSQL to launch it. I've saved it as a query
> and ran it that way - same problem either way.
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 01:43:02 GMT, "MacDermott" <macdermott@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
> >How are you running this SQL?
> >Is it saved as a query?
> >Are you using DoCmd.RunSQL or CurrentDB.Execute?
> >
> >    - Turtle
> >
> >"MacDermott" <macdermott@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> You say that BodyMsgsSent.BodyTextHere  is a memo field;
> >> what about BodyMsgsSent.BodyText?
> >>
> >> That's where you're trying to stuff this information.
> >>
> >>     - Turtle
> >>
> >> "MLH" <CRCI@NorthState.net> wrote in message

0
macdermott1 (571)
1/13/2004 11:55:42 PM
Sure, no problem...

MySQL = "INSERT INTO BodyMsgsSent (ToWhom, BodyText) SELECT
DISTINCTROW [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] AS MyTargets,
[Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] AS MyList;"
DoCmd SetWarnings False
DoCmd RunSQL MySQL
DoCmd SetWarnings True

(watch out for newsreader line-wrap - there are only 4 lines of code)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:55:42 GMT, "MacDermott" <macdermott@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Could you post the actual line of code?
>
>    - Turtle

SNIP
0
CRCI (2317)
1/14/2004 1:47:14 AM
In case my original post wasn't clear, I have two textbox controls on
a form containing strings I wish to write into a new record (append)
in a table:

[Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] contains a short string
[Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] contains a VLS (very long string)

The target table is named BodyMsgsSent. The two pertinent fields are:
[ToWhom] - a 255 char text field
[BodyText] - a memo field

The problem I'm having is using Forms!FormName!ControlName references
in my query (standard QBF technique) causes the error. If I simply
assign two global string vars the string values & reference them in
query (by using FN's that return their values) - I don't get the
error.
0
CRCI (2317)
1/14/2004 2:04:22 AM
I would expect these to return an error of undefined parameters, since Jet
doesn't resolve Access references.

I would try storing a query, and explicitly declaring the problem parameter
as type Memo.  (Query - Parameters from the menu)

HTH
    - Turtle

> In case my original post wasn't clear, I have two textbox controls on
> a form containing strings I wish to write into a new record (append)
> in a table:
>
> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] contains a short string
> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] contains a VLS (very long string)
>
> The target table is named BodyMsgsSent. The two pertinent fields are:
> [ToWhom] - a 255 char text field
> [BodyText] - a memo field
>
> The problem I'm having is using Forms!FormName!ControlName references
> in my query (standard QBF technique) causes the error. If I simply
> assign two global string vars the string values & reference them in
> query (by using FN's that return their values) - I don't get the
> error.

0
macdermott1 (571)
1/14/2004 3:22:50 AM
Not a bad suggestion. I'll have a go at it. Thx.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 03:22:50 GMT, "MacDermott" <macdermott@nospam.com>
wrote:

>I would expect these to return an error of undefined parameters, since Jet
>doesn't resolve Access references.
>
>I would try storing a query, and explicitly declaring the problem parameter
>as type Memo.  (Query - Parameters from the menu)
>
>HTH
>    - Turtle
>
>"MLH" <CRCI@NorthState.net> wrote in message
>> In case my original post wasn't clear, I have two textbox controls on
>> a form containing strings I wish to write into a new record (append)
>> in a table:
>>
>> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![RootTable] contains a short string
>> [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![BodyTextHere] contains a VLS (very long string)
>>
>> The target table is named BodyMsgsSent. The two pertinent fields are:
>> [ToWhom] - a 255 char text field
>> [BodyText] - a memo field
>>
>> The problem I'm having is using Forms!FormName!ControlName references
>> in my query (standard QBF technique) causes the error. If I simply
>> assign two global string vars the string values & reference them in
>> query (by using FN's that return their values) - I don't get the
>> error.

0
CRCI (2317)

It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?
IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so. We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of those is a laptop. Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal Administrator sitting his i...

Can I use type definitions to avoid having to edit multiple VI's when I update a control that is being accessed by reference number in several VI's?
Can I use type definitions to avoid having to edit multiple VI's when I update a control that is being accessed by multiple VI's? I'v been passing to each subVI, a cluster that contains 3 reference numbers to my 3 control clusters. The subVI's access the data from the controls on the top level front panel and sometimes updates their values. &nbsp; Thank you for any suggestions you have. Ken Okay, I have the controls converted to strict type definitions.&nbsp; But when I update the controls, my links where I'm passing a cluster of control REFERENCES to my subVI'...

For Zephram the occupation's intensive, such as me it's late, whereas in search of you it's accessing tory.
his shoulder. He looked up. It was the girl. She shook her head, evidently as a warning that he must keep silent, then parted the bushes and quickly led the way along the narrow track into the wood. Obviously she had been that way before, for she dodged the boggy bits as though by habit. Winston followed, still clasping his bunch of flowers. His first feeling was relief, but as he watched the strong slender body moving in front of him, with the scarlet sash that was just tight enough to bring out the curve of her hips, the sense of his own inferiority was heavy ...

how to access the content of a control when using a 'save' button on the ms-access 2010 ribbon
I have a ribbon with one of the buttons defined as <button id="cmdSave" size="large" label="Save" imageMso="FileSave" onAction="=saveRecord()"/> the ribbon is linked to a form, and the form has as a bound control 'currencyId' and the saveRecord() function if (nz(currencyId, "")="") then msgbox "Currency id required" endif if, using the form, I add a new record and enter 'ab' in the currency id field then I click the 'save' button on the ribbon, I get the m...

Re. Control can't be edited; it's bound to unknown field ' EmployeeID'
Hello, I am new to MS Access and I am trying to do a database for work just for a school project. I am trying to step up a database for our inventory but I am trying to setup a employee Id box so when you type your name it will enter it in the employee table and in the form, but I keep getting a error saying "Control can't be edited; it's bound to unknown field 'EmployeeID' " could someone help me fix this? I don't really understand what I did wrong here? like I said I am very new to this! Thank You SiRkNiGhT115 ...

access 97, don't close access if form's unload event is cancelled
I've got application A, with a hidden form, whose unload event is cancelled unless you use an 'exit' button (so I can do special processing) this works fine when using just application A and it prevents me from 'x'ing out of msaccess.exe now, I open application A from within application B using the code below where function editQuote() is found within application A and to provide application synchronization, it opens the hidden form mentioned above waits for it to become invisible, by using the 'exit' button, after special processing close...

multiple table's fields in a form in access 2002
Can I include the fields from multiple tables in a data base in one form? All the tables are related by a common ID field. I think I have a 1:1 relationship between them. I can make a form, add all of the fields, but then I can't search for records nor can I edit them. I've found a number of things that allude to this problem on various websites, but none of them actually seem to be my problem. Any suggestions. ...

A 'datagrid' or 'table' in MS Access
I'm developing a form in Access with VBA. But i didn't found a good way to display the results of a query. I would like to show the results in a way simular to a table in access. (and not as a subform) Any suggestions how to implement this ? Regards, Jon S. wrote: > I'm developing a form in Access with VBA. > > But i didn't found a good way to display the results of a query. > > I would like to show the results in a way simular to a table in > access. (and not as a subform) > > Any suggestions how to implement this ? Ummm.... A subform in datasheet...

Error? s = assignin('base','s',tf('s'));
Hi, I need a little help here. Could anyone please tell me what is wrong with this command? s = assignin('base','s',tf('s')); The matlab syntax is -- assignin(ws, 'var', val) Basically I just want to add s=tf('s') into the base workspace. Jack "Jack" <Jack@Jill.com> wrote in message news:ef3e449.-1@webcrossing.raydaftYaTP... > Hi, > I need a little help here. Could anyone please tell me what is wrong > with this command? > > s = assignin('base','s',tf('s')); > > The matlab syntax is -- as...

How do I set MS Access NOT to use my profile's 'My Documents'
Hello All, I need to set Access to use my local folder, and not my 'My Docs' folder which is in a netwrok drive. I did the setting thru' options, but when I logged in again, it was pointing to 'My Docs' folder. How do I set this folder permanently? Regards K. Lakshmanan On 4 Mar 2006 01:53:07 -0800, lakshmanan.kk@gmail.com wrote: >Hello All, >I need to set Access to use my local folder, and not my 'My Docs' >folder which is in a netwrok drive. >I did the setting thru' options, but when I logged in again, it was >pointing to 'My Docs' fo...

It's primitive; it's dumb; it's brittle--but it's AI.
http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/aisource.html is a pathway to the http://code.google.com/p/mindforth AI project at Google Code. The AI is primitive because it has only enough features to demon- strate thinking. It is "dumb" inasmuch as it has barely any IQ. It is extremely brittle because the slightest change in the code can destroy the artificial mind crafted so painstakingly in Forth: Arthur -- http://agi-roadmap.org/Milestones -- ten years of progress. ...

Matching a View's columns to it's underlying table's columns
Hello, Using SQL Server 2000, I'm trying to put together a query that will tell me the following information about a view: The View Name The names of the View's columns The names of the source tables used in the view The names of the columns that are used from the source tables Borrowing code from the VIEW_COLUMN_USAGE view, I've got the code below, which gives me the View Name, Source Table Name, and Source Column Name. And I can easily enough get the View columns from the syscolumns table. The problem is that I haven't figured out how to link a source co...

It's possible to access Teststand Variables (When it's...
It's possible to access Teststand Variables (When it's running) in a VI without change this sequence in Teststand ? It's possible to access Teststand Variables (When it's running) in a VI without change this sequence in Teststand ? With this VI, I launch teststand with a sequenceFile, but I Would like to access Teststand Variable ! Please, Help Me. Thanks. You'll have to explain what you want to do... Define "access TestStand variables" Are you talking about Local variables, Steps, Serial number, Global variables? Also do you want to see the value or do you w...

accessing target's parent's id

Web resources about - no format assignment for a form's textbox control... Access assumes control's data is going to be placed in a finite length text field of a table - comp.databases.ms-access