ODBC connection - faster or slower in MS Access/MS SQL Server 2000

Hello all!

I have such question to all of you.
I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing
query
based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than
the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked
but
imported to MS Access?

Can you answer this question?

Thank you in advance for posts
Marcin from Poland.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:23:48 +0200, "Kamyk" <marcinzmyslowski@poczta.onet.pl>
wrote:

>Hello all!
>
>I have such question to all of you.
>I have some tables linked from MS SQL Server 2000. Is time of processing
>query
>based on these linked tables from MS SQL Server 2000, faster or slower than
>the time of processing the same query based on tables, which are not linked
>but
>imported to MS Access?
>
>Can you answer this question?
>
>Thank you in advance for posts
>Marcin from Poland.

That depends on a lot of things...

The most obvious thing it depends on is the size of the result set.  In a
client/server arrangement, you want to keep result sizes down, and do
aggregation and filtering on the server.

Next, how many people will be sharing the back-end data.  Access slows down as
soon as 2 people are sharing a JET back-end, but the server won't have this
limitation.  On the other hand, if the server is too slow, or you're trying to
use MSDE with more users than it's optimized for, the server will be slow.

There are many other factors such as how fast is your LAN, how big are your
data sets, etc.
0
nospam48 (2784)

How to connect MS Access form to MS SQL Server
Hello all I created an application which use MS Access 2000 as user interface and MS SQL Server 2000 as backend. If I want to get data from MS SQL Sever 2000 and display them on the MS Access 2000 form, where do I set the database connection to the form (i.e. tell the form to get data from MS SQL server database)? Thanks Bon In Windows control panel, admin tools, data sources (ODBC), create a system DSN of type SQL server and fill in the parameters for your SQL database. In Access, select file / get external data, files of type ODBC. Select machine data source, select the DSN you created and the table(s) you need. ...

what is equivalent of format(date) function of MS Access in MS Sql Server 2000
Hi All, I am facing a problem with a sql what i used in MS Access but its not returning the same result in MS Sql Server 2000. Here i am giving the sql: SELECT TOP 3 format( MY_DATE, "dddd mm, yyyy" ) FROM MY_TAB WHERE MY_ID=1 The above sql in ACCESS return me the date in below format in one column: Friday 09, 2003 But in Sql server 2000 i am not getting the same format eventhough i am using convert function, date part function etc. Please if you find the solution would be helpful for me.. Thanks Hoque Hi If you field is a datetime, you can use the CONVERT function to conver...

Moving data from MS SQL Server 2000 or MS Access XP to UniData 5.2.9
Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. --Ryan N. Ryan N. wrote: > Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte > level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch > initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 > or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. > > Any leads would be greatly appreciated. > > --Ryan N. Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then the scripting to move it on. www.asent.com Better yet, most likely you need a consultant. Check out Tony Gravagno. He's good at building interfaces, and has most of the tools pre-built. He is at http:(no spam)//nebula-rnd.com/ get rid of the (no spam) HTH, Patrick <;=) "(Latimerp)" <"(Latimerp)"@comcast.net> wrote: >Ryan N. wrote: >> Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte >> level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch >> initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 >> or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. >> >> Any leads would be greatly appreciated. >> >> --Ryan N. > >Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then t...

MS SQL Server 2000 and MS JDBC SQL Server driver problems. (Connection timed out, followed by Error establishing socket)
I have downloaded the MS SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation edition, and the MS SQL 2000 Server JDBC driver. I have installed and configured the MS SQL Server 2000 onto two computers, which reside on the same network. (In fact, these two computers comprise the entire network). The network server (computer name=SUNCDS1), and the lone node (SUNCDS2), each have their own SQL Server 2000 instance. The SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager console on SUNCDS1 shows both SQL Server instances, the (local) instance, which is SUNCDS1, and also SUNCDS2. It may be worthwhile to mention that the SUNCDS2 instance on the Enterprise console does not show the SQL Server Agent as being started, but I can navigate to the SUNCDS2 databases, and display the table information. If I try to start the SQL Server Agent for SUNCDS2, I receive the message "Access is Denied". The enterprise console on the SUNCDS2 machine indeed shows the SQL Server Agent as being started. I have written a sample Java application that uses both the MS SQL Server ODBC driver and a JDBC type 4 driver (MS SQL Server 2000 JDBC) to establish a connection to the SUNCDS2 instance. This application resides on the SUNCDS1 network server. The ODBC driver will connect to SUNCDS2 instance wihout a problem. The JDBC driver does not connect to SUNCDS2. The JDBC driver will, however, connect to the local SQL Server instance that resides on SUNCDS1. Following are the code snippet to est...

Too few parameters expected 2 error occurs after migrating "MS Access 2000" to "MS SQL Server"
Hello all I get Too few parameters expected 2 error and "The MS Jet Database engine cannot find the input table or query "myTempTablename". Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly. 3078" after I migrated "MS Access 2000" to "MS SQL Server 2000" and relinked all linked tables. The front-end interface of my application is MS Access 2000. The back-end is MS SQL Server 2000. After I migrated the database and relinked all linked tables, "Too few parameters expected 2" and "input table or query "myTempTablename" 3078" error occurs. I found a article in Microsoft website. The "Too few parameter" error occurs because the limitation of the MS Access ODBC driver. If it is, any solution? Thanks in advance Cheers Bon Hi Bon, If you mean you are getting the error when you are trying to relink the tables through ODBC, then the problem could be - if your table(s) had a memo field, that sql server picked up the memo field as a varchar, and Access is trying to read a text field that exceeds 255 chars. You need to go to Query Analyzer (sql server QA) and run some queries against the offending table to see what the text length is in your varchar fields in the sql server table. And if Sql Server did pick up an Access memo field as a Sql Server Text field, ODBC can't read Sql Server Text fields. If any of the varchar fields exceeds 250 chars (for me I get errors after exceeding 250 cha...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anythi...

Read-Only ODBC Access to MS Access 2000
I have created an ODBC File DSN data source in Windows XP. I have successfully used this DSN to link tables from a Sybase SQL Anywhere database to Access 2000. How can you make this ODBC connection read-only? P.S. I would like to make the ODBC connection itself read-only (if possible) rather than adding security to the MS Access DB. ...

Permissions Issue when linking to MS SQL 2000 DB from MS Access XP
Hello, We have a database in MS SQL 2000 and I'm trying to link to it from MS Access XP. I've created a user with full access to one specific table in the MS SQL database, but Access won't write to it. I can open this table in MS Query Analyzer and log-in as the user, and I can do update, delete, and select queries just fine... but when I link to the table from MS Access using the same MS SQL username/password, I can only read the data... no write or delete. Since I can update data fine in MS Query Analyzer, I assume permissions are setup properly. Anyone know why I can not ed...

Converting SQL Server 2000 query to MS Access 2000 query
Hello! I am trying to convert a query written for SQL Server 2000 database tables, to a MS Access query. Here is what I have in SQL Server: SELECT t2.*, CASE WHEN t2.QType = '3' THEN t1.Note ELSE CASE WHEN t2.QType = '2' THEN CASE WHEN CONVERT(varchar(100), t1.ANumber) = '1' THEN 'Yes' ELSE 'No' END ELSE CASE WHEN CONVERT(varchar(5), t2.Qnumber)+'.' + CONVERT(varchar(5), t1.ANumber) = t2.SubQ THEN 'Selected' ELSE 'Not Selected' END END END AS Client_Response FROM (SELECT * FROM ClientAnswer WHER...

Access MS SQL Server 2000?
------_=_NextPart_001_01C3B4EB.13FA7080 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Hello Guys, How can I access MS SQL Server 2000 database from Ruby? Is there a library I can use? Lennie De Villiers ------_=_NextPart_001_01C3B4EB.13FA7080-- Lennie DeVilliers wrote: > Hello Guys, > > How can I access MS SQL Server 2000 database from Ruby? Is there a library I > can use? > > Lennie De Villiers > > Check sqlrelay: http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/ I tested it a very short time only (I think with a MS SQL 2000, not even sure;-), so I can...

Re: Access MS SQL Server 2000?
Hello, Thank you! This page: http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/sqlrelay/programming/rubydbi.html Show how to use SQLRelay with Ruby. Lennie De Villiers -----Original Message----- Lennie DeVilliers wrote: > Hello Guys, > > How can I access MS SQL Server 2000 database from Ruby? Is there a library I > can use? > > Lennie De Villiers > > Check sqlrelay: http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/ I tested it a very short time only (I think with a MS SQL 2000, not even sure;-), so I can't say more about it. Raph ...

MS SQL to MS Access Stored Proc. for Deletes
I have this stored procedure below that works great in SQL Server. The sql purges rows out of a table, leaving "x" # of rows in the table ("x" = s.RetainHistoryNum below). Now I need it to run in MS Access. The thing that throws me off is the multiple "from" statements. I have tried a dozen different queries, nothing seems to do the trick. Either I end up with an syntax error, or I end up with inaccurate results. Dan -------------------------------------------------- -Here is the stored proc I need to work in Access ------------------------------------------...

JDBC+Linux -> MS Access/MS SQL??
I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database, however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and Linux. I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,.... However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to configure. Do anyone can give me a solution? Thanks Vincent You can try the jTDS driver (http://sourceforge.net/projects/jtds), performs really good. Or you can buy some other jdbc driver for MS SQL Server. /Klas "Vincent Ho" <vincenthkh@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:fb01e579.0308061746.3bf10a6b@posting.google.com... > I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database, > however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and > Linux. > I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,.... > However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to > configure. > Do anyone can give me a solution? > > Thanks > Vincent Vincent Ho wrote: > I want to use JDBC to connect a remote MS Access/MS SQL database, > however, I found that JDBC-ODBC is not support on remote database and > Linux. > I've visit the site of some middleware, like RmiJdbc, IDS,.... > However, seems don't know how to make it functions and difficult to > configure. > Do anyone can give me a solution? > > Thanks > Vincent Accessing SQL server from ...

Problem with JDBC-ODBC connection to MS Access 2000
I am trying to use JDBC-ODBC bridge to connect to a Access 2000 database on a Windows 2000 machine. I have set up the database using the Data Sources utility in Windows 2000. I am using the Java(TM) 2 SDK, Standard Edition Version 1.4.2_01. The code snippet from an example I found is: import java.sql.*; import javax.swing.JOptionPane; public class BookDB{ private static Connection connection; private static Statement scrollStatement; private static ResultSet books; public static void connect() throws ClassNotFoundException, SQLException { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); String url = "jdbc:odbc:MurachBooks"; String user = "Admin"; String password = ""; connection = DriverManager.getConnection(url, user, password); } When I complie I get the following error: BookDB.java [10:1] cannot resolve symbol symbol : method forName (java.lang.String) location: class Class try {Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); ^ 1 error Errors compiling BookDB. I have looked at all of the possible sources of information I can think of to find an answer to my problem. I do not see any errors in the code. The same code will work fine for me (there is no compile time error). Are you sure that you did not mess up with the standard classpath? lmclaus wrote: > I am trying to use JDBC-ODBC bridge to conne...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

Web resources about - ODBC connection - faster or slower in MS Access/MS SQL Server 2000 - comp.databases.ms-access

Controversial Australian Cup protest could be costly for Awesome Rock's connections
Nothing arouses punters' feelings more than a controversial protest. Racing people still discuss with great vigour the Nausori-Big Philou Caulfield ...

2 men charged in connection of Girl Scout money theft
The suspects have been charged with robbery, safecracking and theft.

7 Minnesota Connections To The NCAA Tournament
The Gophers aren't a part of March Madness, but there are enough Minnesota connections to the Big Dance to keep local fans engaged in the action ...

84 indicted in connection with NYC, New England drug-gun ring
Bronx DA says four gangs formed "an alliance of evil" to peddle cocaine and heroin in New Hampshire and Massachusetts

Young people prefer an Internet connection to daylight
Technically Incorrect: A UK survey suggests that daylight isn't all that at least in young people's enlightened minds. Neither is hot water. ...

26-year-old man arrested in connection with Iditarod crashes
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A man suspected of intentionally driving a snowmobile into teams of two mushers near the front of the Iditarod Trail ...

Other Sports: For first time, NFL acknowledges connection between football-related brain trauma, CTE ...
In what could be a watershed moment in the debate about the long-term effects of head injuries in the nation's most popular sport, the NFL's ...