ODBC: How to install Access 2.0-Drivers when Access 2003 is installed

Hi

I'm running Windows 2000 and Office 2003. I want to copy tables from an
unknown database format into Access 2.0 and I could do it quite easily
if it weren't for the fact that recent ODBC-drivers aren't capable of
writing into an Access 2.0 database (only reading). I do have the old
Access 2.0 disks including odbc-driver, but it doesn't install on my
machine (probably because the newer ones are installed...). And yes, I
know that updating the Access-database is probably the first thought
that everybody has, but it's not practicable in this case. So... how to
install Access 2.0-drivers when Access 2003 is installed?

Thank you!

Stefan Serena

You probably can't export it (although I  hope somebody else can tell you
how to do it) directly into Access 2.0.  How about exporting your data into
some other format that is readily importable into Access 2.0?

Linda

<StefanSerena@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm running Windows 2000 and Office 2003. I want to copy tables from an
> unknown database format into Access 2.0 and I could do it quite easily
> if it weren't for the fact that recent ODBC-drivers aren't capable of
> writing into an Access 2.0 database (only reading). I do have the old
> Access 2.0 disks including odbc-driver, but it doesn't install on my
> machine (probably because the newer ones are installed...). And yes, I
> know that updating the Access-database is probably the first thought
> that everybody has, but it's not practicable in this case. So... how to
> install Access 2.0-drivers when Access 2003 is installed?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Stefan Serena

0
linda1901 (44)
1/16/2006 7:32:49 PM
StefanSerena@gmail.com wrote in

> I'm running Windows 2000 and Office 2003. I want to copy tables
> from an unknown database format into Access 2.0 and I could do it
> quite easily if it weren't for the fact that recent ODBC-drivers
> aren't capable of writing into an Access 2.0 database (only
> reading). I do have the old Access 2.0 disks including
> odbc-driver, but it doesn't install on my machine (probably
> because the newer ones are installed...). And yes, I know that
> updating the Access-database is probably the first thought that
> everybody has, but it's not practicable in this case. So... how to
> install Access 2.0-drivers when Access 2003 is installed?

There's absolutely nothing inherent in the later versions of Access
nor in recent versions of Windows that prohibits the installation of
Access 2.0. You just have to make sure you install it in a different
directory than your existing Office installation(s). Of course,
that's made fairly easy by Access 2.0 being a Win3.x program, which
didn't have long filenames, and before Microsoft implemented the
standard C:\Program Files\ default programs folder.

I have Win2K, and have Access 2.0, Access 97 and Access 2002 (from
Office XP) installed. All work just fine.

What exactly happens when you try to install it? Are you running the
installer under a logon with full administrative permissions on the
machine you're attempting to install it on?

It's usually recommended that multiple versions of Access be
installed in release order, but I installed Access 2.0 on this
machine after installing the other versions of Access, and had no
problems at all.

XXXusenet (2387)
1/17/2006 1:39:14 AM
Thank you for your answers!
@Linda: Thank you for your answer. That would be the worst case
solution, yea... the thing is that the access-db has to be updated
twice every week by people that are not very familiar with computers...
so I wrote a perl-script that would do the job automatically, and
that's also why I'm dependent upon odbc.

@David: I could easily install Access 2.0 after 2003 was installed and
it works fine. But maybe I didn't make it clean enough that it's about
the corresponding ODBC-drivers. I still can't find them in the
'Microsoft ODBC-Administration' panel. As I wanna write into the Access
2.0 database via Perl, I need them.

Still hoping to get more help... thx!

Stefan

Your gonna get 16 bit ODBC drivers - and 16 bit ODBC admin.
It is a separate program. I don't know how Perl will go
writing to 16 bit ODBC drivers, but I reckon you will need
to find a 16 bit data access object - I don't think you
are going to be able to do that using ADO.

If your current version of ADO or DAO is having trouble
writing to Jet 2.5 data (and I've never tried that),
then you need to specify the Jet 3.5 drivers.

(david)

> Thank you for your answers!
> @Linda: Thank you for your answer. That would be the worst case
> solution, yea... the thing is that the access-db has to be updated
> twice every week by people that are not very familiar with computers...
> so I wrote a perl-script that would do the job automatically, and
> that's also why I'm dependent upon odbc.
>
> @David: I could easily install Access 2.0 after 2003 was installed and
> it works fine. But maybe I didn't make it clean enough that it's about
> the corresponding ODBC-drivers. I still can't find them in the
> 'Microsoft ODBC-Administration' panel. As I wanna write into the Access
> 2.0 database via Perl, I need them.
>
> Still hoping to get more help... thx!
>
> Stefan

0
david

Using Iseries Access ODBC Driver with MS ACCESS 2003
When Trying attaching databases into MsAccess2003 using Iseries Access ODBC Driver (I'm in OS400 v5r2) I get an error message according to which the duration of connection is too long and so I can't attach the database although I got the list of the tables in the library I specified. Can anyone help me ? Thanks in advance. The timeout to dispay de data is small. You need to increase this timeout. The problem can occur when the tables are very very very (but very) big. "Bertrand Bard" <bbard@dehon.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:d01a5cc.0404280030.58f11d3e@posting.go...

Access needs to be installed for me to use MS Access
Hi, Is it required for MS Access to be installed on machines on which I need to deploy windows app which uses MS Access as its backend. If no then how do I access and wrie to access database? Thanks, Vikas. <vikassah@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1166161668.556801.183030@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Is it required for MS Access to be installed on machines on which I > need to deploy windows app which uses MS Access as its backend. If no > then how do I access and wrie to access database? If Access, or the Access runtime (from the developer extensions) is not on the user's machine, then the front-end can be written in a language that supports either DAO or ADO, both of which are available in libraries that are compatible with classic VB (through V6), C++, C#, or VB.NET. There are ther programming languages that can use Windows DLLs, too. Just for the record, though even Microsoft makes the same slip, what you have is _not_ an Access backend, but a Jet database engine backend. DAO support for Jet is available in the "MDAC 5.0" and earlier, and ADO support is available in that, and later versions of MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components). Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP ...

Sharing .MDB between Access 2.0 and Access 2003
I have a .MDB back-end database that is created with Access 2.0. And multiple front-end mdb's, some are created by Access 2.0, and the rest are created by Access 2003. The fron-ends had table attachments to the back-end database. The problem is I'm unable to access any table by both versions of Access in the same time! Here are the steps to replicate the problem 1- Open one Access 2.0 front-end mdb, then open the attached table T1 2- Open another Access 2003 front-end mdb, try to open the same attached table, you will get the error "Could not use .mdb; file already in use." 3- I can only open the table from Access 2.0 front-end. It seems Access 2.0 locks the table against 2003 version only. I'm trying to find a patch/service pack, workaround. Your feed back is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Moor The easiest workaround would be to export the data from the tables in the Acc2.0 mdb as textfiles and then import those textfiles into an Acc2003 mdb. If this will be tedious because you have a few dozen tables to export then an alternative would be to ... well, you could automate the process with VBA and loop through the tabledefs collection (for the table names) and create the textfiles that way and then import them into a Acc2003 mdb. Rich *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Thanks, Rich, In fact the problem is not in the Export/Import process. It is about opening the 2.0 mdb files using different versions of MS Access, epecifi...

Side by side installs of Access XP and Access 2003
Hello all, I know there are a lot of threads in the newsgroups and references in the MS knowledge base about running different Access versions simultaneously. Some of the solutions posted even appear to work so long as one doesn't apply any service packs. At any rate, I am trying to figure out how to run Access XP and Access 2003 on the same machine without being bedeviled by the Windows Installer 'Preparing to install...' dialog every time I switch between versions. I have successfully been able to do this as long as I don't apply service packs to either installation but I'd prefer to be up to date. Has anyone been able to run both versions *with up to date service packs* but without getting the tedious Windows Installer 'Preparing to install...' dialogs when switching between versions? I'm running Windows XP sp 2. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks. Bruce ...

Accessing Access

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to > access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to > log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way > around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. > Thanks Mike > We have just started this database so any changes would be better done > sooner. It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each PC. You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example. Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access reverts to single-user only. -- regards, Br@dley Br@dley wrote:...

Cannot open same table using Access 2.0 and Access 2003 in the same time
I'm unable to to open a linked table T that is stored in an Access 2.0 MDB database file (shared/back-end,) using both Access 2.0 and Access 2003, in the same time. Here is the scenario: 1- Start Access 2.0 and open the linked table T. 2- Start Access 2003 then try to open the same linked table T. 3- You may get the error "Could not use <.mdb file name>; file already in use." It seems Access 2.0 "Locks" the table for exclusive use, but how to explain that another instance of Access 2.0 still CAN open the same table in the same time! Please note: Access 2.0 and Access 2003 runs on two separate machines, while the shared/back-end mdb file is stored on a third machine. Please note upgrading the back-end database to 2003 is NOT a feasible solution in the current time! Thanks ...

Use of Access 2002-2003 structure in MS Access 2007 #2
Dear reader, Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access 2002-2003 format? Tanks for any assistance. Kind regards and all the best for 2009 Simon Simon van Beek wrote: > Dear reader, > > > > Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in > Access 2002-2003 format? > > > > Tanks for any assistance. > > > > Kind regards and all the best for 2009 > > Simon Yes. There might be some issues, though, depending on how you've programmed the db. Best suggestion, in my eyes, would be testing and playing around a little with *a* *copy* of the database and see what turns up. Most likely, you'd need to set the directory in which the database resides, as a trusted location. A very good sumup of "the good, bad and ugly" ;-) of Access 2007 is this list by Allen Browne http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html -- Roy-Vidar Simon, Best wishes to you too. One question: why do you use so many carriage returns in your messages? They cause readers having to unnecessary scroll. Thanks, John "Simon van Beek" <SvanBeekNL@Versatel.nl> schreef in bericht news:495f3ebf$0$28733$bf4948fe@news.tele2.nl... > Dear reader, > > > > Is it possible to run in Access 2007 an application designed in Access > 2002-2003 format? > > > > Tanks for any assistance. > > > > Kind regards and all the best for 2009 > > Simon >...

problem accessing access 97 database through odbc on windows 2003 sp1
Hello, We have a legacy application which relies on an Access 97 database (upgrading is nog an option atm). As we are setting up a new server (Windows 2003), we started experiencing problems running that application after installing all required updates (Windows, Office, ..) It did work before updating, with a basic OS + application installation. Somewhere an update dit break things, but we do not know which one. Now for the problem. When starting the application, following error is returned: --------------------------- ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Login Failed ---------------------------...

Install Shield VB 6.0 Project... Bundling a MS Access Database
Here goes... Outlook 2003 -> Access -> Crystal Reports ...via VB 6.0 code Basically I have a VB 6.0 project working on my machine. All with the click of a button , the Vb code extracts rows from the Calender folder of Outlook 2003, and makes a table in Access based on these rows and then a crystal report is created. The question is...I have bundled this project with Install Shield...what do I need to have on a client's machine in order for this to work there. I know I going to need Outlook 2003 ( I know) and crystal reports ( I think) installed on the clients machine. I don'...

Access 2003 Runtime install hangs on Installing fonts
What is going on with this? We created an installer for Access 2003 Runtime using the P & D Wizard from Access 2003 Dev Extensions. It appeared to be fine but on some computers it simply hangs on "Installing fonts" and the Task Manager shows "not responding." Does anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks in advance for all responses. -- LW ...

View Access 2003 database in Access 2000
How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? rahulghai12@gmail.com wrote: > How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? > look here http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HP051863711033.aspx ...

Help: Install Access 97 and Access 2000
Sorry if this question was posted before but I can not find the FAQ. Anyhow, I am trying to install Access 97 in my computer where Access 2000 is already installed, how this can be done, so I can use both?. Thanks, Jaime Jaime, Search Google for this question and you will get more results than you like ;-) IMHO: You should install A97 first and A2000 afterwards (in different path) I have installed A97 in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office97\ and A2000 in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office2000. This way you won't get into trouble. Installing the other way around can lead to disasters as I recall from this ng. HTH Arno R "JJMM" <jjmm@ya.com> schreef in bericht news:beh1sm$10u$1@news.ya.com... > Sorry if this question was posted before but I can not find the FAQ. > Anyhow, I am trying to install Access 97 in my computer where Access 2000 is > already installed, how this can be done, so I can use both?. > > Thanks, > > Jaime > > On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:29:50 +0200 in comp.databases.ms-access, "JJMM" <jjmm@ya.com> wrote: >Sorry if this question was posted before but I can not find the FAQ. >Anyhow, I am trying to install Access 97 in my computer where Access 2000 is >already installed, how this can be done, so I can use both?. The FAQ is posted here every week or so and the term "access faq" at google will net you a lot. IME it's a PITA to do this but install them in the order they w...

Read-Only ODBC Access to MS Access 2000
I have created an ODBC File DSN data source in Windows XP. I have successfully used this DSN to link tables from a Sybase SQL Anywhere database to Access 2000. How can you make this ODBC connection read-only? P.S. I would like to make the ODBC connection itself read-only (if possible) rather than adding security to the MS Access DB. ...

Web resources about - ODBC: How to install Access 2.0-Drivers when Access 2003 is installed - comp.databases.ms-access