Open a database from a database

I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an
already running one.  The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but
does not run the startup routine.  Interestingly opening from Windows
Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs!

What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its
AutoExec macro, from code?

Jim

I don't know the answer, but I do know that when you use OpenDatabase the
code in a startup form of that database does work.

Martin

"Jim Devenish"  schreef in bericht

I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an
already running one.  The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but
does not run the startup routine.  Interestingly opening from Windows
Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs!

What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its
AutoExec macro, from code?

Jim

0
martin8990 (22)
4/13/2011 9:23:44 PM
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:37:41 -0700 (PDT), Jim Devenish
<internet.shopping@foobox.com> wrote:

Have you tried the Shell command?

If you weren't using the AutoExec macro but one with another name, you
could use the /X command line switch for msaccess.exe

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an
>already running one.  The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but
>does not run the startup routine.  Interestingly opening from Windows
>Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs!
>
>What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its
>AutoExec macro, from code?
>
>Jim
yout got an answer here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/microsoft.public.access.forms/Fs-Y8OMm3xw
0
s.schk (1)
4/14/2011 7:38:00 AM
"Jim Devenish" <internet.shopping@foobox.com> wrote in message
>I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an
> already running one.  The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but
> does not run the startup routine.  Interestingly opening from Windows
> Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs!
>
> What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its
> AutoExec macro, from code?
>
> Jim

One database I work with does this via an Autoexec macro that contains
RunCode, OpenForm and Maximize commands.

You can also use Tools > Startup > Display Form/Page:

The above is used in Access 2003.

0
chottel (601)
4/14/2011 2:34:59 PM
Jim Devenish <internet.shopping@foobox.com> wrote in
m:

> I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within
> an already running one.  The OpenDatabase command simply opens it
> but does not run the startup routine.  Interestingly opening from
> Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and
> runs!
>
> What command enables me to open another database and get it to run
> its AutoExec macro, from code?

It all depends on what you want to do.

You can use Shell(), but that launches an independent instance of
Access and you don't have much control over it (though if you use
the function version of Shell() you can get the process ID and then
kill it if you need to). The advantage there is that you can close
the launching application without affecting the one you launched
from it.

Alternatively, you could use automation for full control, but that
makes the second instance dependent on the first. That may be an
advantage or a disadvantage.

Another option is Michael Kaplan's SOON utility:

  http://trigeminal.com/lang/1033/utility.asp?ItemID=8#8

I've never used it, but it could be what you need.

Last of all, you might consider whether you need a new instance or
not. If all your trying to do is run some queries or output some
reports that are done in the startup routine of the app, it would
make more sense to move that functionality to code that is called
from the startup routine, but could also then be called without
necessarily needing to open the app in a new instance of Access. But
whether that is possible or not will depend on what tasks are being
performed.

contact via website only     http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
0
NoEmail4557 (375)
4/17/2011 8:57:28 PM
On Apr 17, 9:57=A0pm, "David-W-Fenton" <NoEm...@SeeSignature.invalid>
wrote:
> Jim Devenish <internet.shopp...@foobox.com> wrote innews:0b4510ac-d415-4c=
2c-b200-7546aae178a4@gu8g2000vbb.googlegroups.co
> m:
>
> > I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within
> > an already running one. =A0The OpenDatabase command simply opens it
> > but does not run the startup routine. =A0Interestingly opening from
> > Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and
> > runs!
>
> > What command enables me to open another database and get it to run
> > its AutoExec macro, from code?
>
> It all depends on what you want to do.
>
> You can use Shell(), but that launches an independent instance of
> Access and you don't have much control over it (though if you use
> the function version of Shell() you can get the process ID and then
> kill it if you need to). The advantage there is that you can close
> the launching application without affecting the one you launched
> from it.
>
> Alternatively, you could use automation for full control, but that
> makes the second instance dependent on the first. That may be an
> advantage or a disadvantage.
>
> Another option is Michael Kaplan's SOON utility:
>
> =A0http://trigeminal.com/lang/1033/utility.asp?ItemID=3D8#8
>
> I've never used it, but it could be what you need.
>
> Last of all, you might consider whether you need a new instance or
> not. If all your trying to do is run some queries or output some
> reports that are done in the startup routine of the app, it would
> make more sense to move that functionality to code that is called
> from the startup routine, but could also then be called without
> necessarily needing to open the app in a new instance of Access. But
> whether that is possible or not will depend on what tasks are being
> performed.
>
> --
> David W. Fenton =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0http://www.dfenton.com=
/
> contact via website only =A0 =A0http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

The SOON utility looks very much what I am looking for.  He explains
the situation I have: "Have you ever wanted to close a database, then
maybe compact it, and maybe open it back up?

I want to compact and repair my database and reopen it.  To do this I
want to pass its pathname to a table in a second database; close the
first and open the second; from here compact and repair the first and
then reopen it.

This need has arisen in a surprising way.  I have just moved a number
of applications from A2000 to A2010 and find that in each of them when
I now relink the front end to a new backend, the database needs
compacting or else errors occur.  I can't find an explanation about
why what worked previously is now causing a problem, so I am trying
to get round it by automating the compaction.

Jim
Jim Devenish <internet.shopping@foobox.com> wrote in
m:

> This need has arisen in a surprising way.  I have just moved a
> number of applications from A2000 to A2010 and find that in each
> of them when I now relink the front end to a new backend, the
> database needs compacting or else errors occur.  I can't find an
> explanation about why what worked previously is now causing a
> problem, so I am trying to get round it by automating the
> compaction.

Are you updating the linked tables or recreating them from scratch?

contact via website only     http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
0
NoEmail4557 (375)

open database from another database
I'm struggling with this, and I'm sure there's a way to do it. I would like to automate the back-up of an Access application to a writeable CD drive. I've got the process of creating a folder on the CD with the back-up date done, and I can copy the database objects (there are four MDB files in total) to the CD. All of that works. Here's my problem: because Access databases cannot be copied when they are open, I need to have my CD writing code in a new MDB, and will need to launch the new CD writing MDB from within one of the existing databases. I've done this kind of thing before, but I don't have the slightest recollection on how I did it (used to be you had to do that kind of thing in order to compact/repair through automation). So, I give up. How do you launch Access from within Access??? Well this will do it: Dim i As Variant i = Shell("msaccess d:\persprop\CSCPP.mdb") Just put in your own db path. But this does come up with the warning that requires you to click to get into to the db (in 2003). If you know how to get by that I'd like to know. You could put the function in a macro and then close the db stat started the new one. Good luck Ira Solomon On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:17:10 -0500, Mike Easter <username@domain.com> wrote: >I'm struggling with this, and I'm sure there's a way to do it. I would like >to automate the back-up of an Access application to a wri...

Opening databases with out MS access
Hi, I have an Access database file with all the switchboard commands and what I want to do is to try to access the switchboard command without opening microsoft access. Which means i want to access the database without opening access. I am seeing if I can make this file an executable file but i dont think this is the solution. If anybody have any ideas, please help. Thanks > I have an Access database file with all the switchboard commands and > what I want to do is to try to access the switchboard command without > opening microsoft access. Which means i want to access the database > without opening access. I am seeing if I can make this file an > executable file but i dont think this is the solution. If anybody have > any ideas, please help. Thanks You cannot use Access interface without having Access installed into your pc. -- PBsoft di Gabriele Bertolucci www.pbsoft.it skype: pbsoftsolution http://www.mvps.org/access/general/gen0001.htm *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** "Gabriele Bertolucci" <info@REMOVEpbsoft.it> wrote > You cannot use Access interface without > having Access installed into your pc. You can use (but not modify the design of) an Access database if you have the Access runtime, as packaged by the Office Developer Edition (pre-2003) or by the Visual Studio Tools for Office 2003 System. If, in your view, installing the Access runtime qualifies as "having Access install...

Opening Another Database from WITHIN a Database
I have a database (2000.mdb) which links to my data tables (Data2000.mdb). The database has a Main Menu screen (not a switchboard - a custom one). I need to import records from 5 text files into the 5 different Tables in Data2000.mdb. Here was my plan: Create various Import specs in Data2000.mdb Create a Macro (in Data2000.mdb) which calls each of the specs sequentially. Place a button on the Main Menu (2000.mdb), which closes the current database (optional), opens Data2000.mdb, runs the Macro (Import Reg), then returns the user to the original Menu in the original database (200...

Error on opening a database: MS JEt database says someone tries to modify the file #2
Hello, I've received a databasefile from a friend, which seems to be corrupted. When i try to open the file it gives the error: The Microsoft Jet Database Engine has stopped the proces, since you and another user are trying to modify the same data (translated from dutch). I can't do anythinh with this file. Even importing from another database or Compact and Repairing gives me the same message. Has anyone got a clue how to save the data in this .mdb file. Greetings, Remco ...

How to open Form in different database from the current database
I have to program the button that will open a specific form in the different database. This second database currently has a macro called Autoexec that opens this Form when the database opens. I tried this code, but get error ("You cancelled the previous operation") when it executes line that I marked as (!!!): ********************************************** Dim objACC As New Access.Application DoCmd.SetWarnings False '-----------Open different database------------ Set objACC = GetObject("K:\Greeley_Surveys\PRAssessment\PR Assessment v14. mdb") objACC.DoCmd.RunMacro...

how to find total open database links in a database?
and open_links and open_links_per_instance seems doesn't work for my instance. The value is 4, but I can have open links more than 4, for each session or a instance. niy38@hotmail.com wrote: > and open_links and open_links_per_instance seems doesn't work > for my instance. The value is 4, but I can have open links more > than 4, for each session or a instance. No version number. No SQL so we can see what you are looking at. -- Daniel A. Morgan http://www.psoug.org damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) sorry, it's 8i. niy38@hotmail.com wrote: > sorry, it's 8i. Not a very informative reply, as '8i' covers releases from 8.1.5.0 through 8.1.7.4 (last I checked) and the functionality varies widely from the first release to the last. Post actual version numbers, and the SQL you're running, to get any sort of usable response. David Fitxjarrell niy38@hotmail.com wrote: > and open_links and open_links_per_instance seems doesn't work > for my instance. The value is 4, but I can have open links more > than 4, for each session or a instance. This may be useful, courtesy of Mark Bobak. -- Jared Select /*+ ORDERED */ substr(s.ksusemnm,1,10)||'-'|| substr(s.ksusepid,1,10) "ORIGIN", substr(g.K2GTITID_ORA,1,35) "GTXID", substr(s.indx,1,4)||'.'|| substr(s.ksuseser,1,5) "LSESSION" , s2.username, substr( decode(bitand(ksuseidl,11), 1...

UPDATE VALUE IN ACCESS DATABASE-CONNECTIVITY DATABASE?
Hi to all labviewers, I'm trying to update some values in my access database with sql and labview connectivity toolset but i got an error, what is the problem whit my code? note: when i try to update one colum it's work fine. &nbsp; regard's eyal. UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG: http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/152737/1/UPDATE_ACCESS.JPG This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C5EE8B.DE98AE20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I'm not sure if you can use comma's to se...

[News] Open Database License is Out, Topocad Uses Open Source FDO Database Connection

Open Source Database as an Alternative MS Access?
Is there any project team working on a PERSONAL database as an alternative to MS Access? TIA Dan <dan@nospam.com> writes: > Is there any project team working on a PERSONAL database as an > alternative to MS Access? http://www.icewalkers.com/Linux/Software/Applications/Databases/140/ In article <4YnOb.91694$fq1.71625@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>, Dan wrote: > Is there any project team working on a PERSONAL database as an > alternative to MS Access? http://www.rekallrevealed.org/ Dave Cook Dan wrote: > Is there any project team working on a PERS...

open a pasword proteccted ms access database
Hi, So far I am using no pasword protected ms access database, now my client ask me to use the password protected one. Does anyone know how to do that using connection string? have tried just give the password only and blank on ussername but error. TIA "yanto" <yanto2000@gmail.com> wrote in message news:7dd63a1c-da3b-4a11-886a-f9dd8912e1a0@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > So far I am using no pasword protected ms access database, now my > client ask me to use the password protected one. Does anyone know how > to do that using connection string? have tried ...

Can I use an O8 database as a transit database between a O9 and an O7 database?
Hi all, We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do an insert from the O9 database over a database link into the O7 datawarehouse database, but this is not supported. Then I did the following: - create a dblink in the O9 database to a O8 database - create a dblink in the O8 database to the O7 database - create a synonym in the O8 database to the desired table in the O7 database - create a synonym in the O9 database to the synonym in the O8 database Now in the O9 database I inserted a record into the synonym, which indeed resulted in a record in the O7-table. Would it be a sensible solution to use an O8 database as a transit database in this way? Jaap. yes "Jaap W. van Dijk" <j.w.vandijk.removethis@hetnet.nl> wrote in message news:7fm4b05a4mbbb4jub1urin1j163jjsc7vg@4ax.com... > Hi all, > > We will gradually migrate our application data from a O7 database to a > new O9 database. The application data is also written to an O7 > datawarehouse via a database link. In the intermediate period data has > to be written to the O7 datawarehouse db from the old O7 application > db and also from the new O9 database. I did a test to see if could do >...

Opening one database always restores a minimised database
Hi I have an Access database that I use to keep track of hours I work on development. The database is always open and minimised. An annoying problem is that whenever I open a database I am working on through a shortcut, the time tracking database window gets restored before the one I am opening actually opens. It does stay behind the one I am working on but I have to minimise it again if I want to keep the desktop uncluttered. Is there any way of stopping the minimised one restoring? Jeff When I set the target property of the shortcut to: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\O...

Is there a way to update a web database from an desktop Access database?
Hi, I would like to be able to take records from an Access database (most likely 2010) and update them to whatever database is being used on a web server? For instance, I would like to extract someone's calendar from an Access application and let them sign in and see what their calendar is for a certain time period. I know how to extract the data from Access, but not how to post it onto someone's website (which could be using MySQL, SQL Server). -paulw ...

Database question, Vb6 SP5, DAO, Access database
I posted this message in a VB database newsgroup 5 days ago and have not received any answers. Since this newsgroup has been very supportive in VB, I am posting it here (with changes) in hopes of getting an answer. Jim Y Using a database is still new for me. I do not know all the terms, so I hope I can explain my question. I wrote a program in VB6 SP5 using DAO. It works with no known problems (yet), I had to add/modify the database and program to include an additional variable. This program has been installed on a friends PC with XP and I want to upgrade it with the new version. My que...

Access project database
Why isn't a database created on the MSDE?? Network: Two Win2K Pro machines connected as peers. (No domains.) MS Access is on X, MSDE2000A is on H. MS Access is run under: Windows Administrator. MSDE is set for Windows Authentication only. On using the Microsoft SQL Server Database Wizard to create an Access project, I don't specify a usename or password. After the wizard says it has the info it needs, it closes and a progress bar appears for a only a split second as the wizard tries to create the database. Indications are that the connections to the MSDE was dropped during creatio...

Opening access database for exclusive access
hi Folks, I am opening my access database file (Access 2003) from a C# application. The connection string specifies mode=Share Exclusive The intent is that the application have exclusive access to the database file. No other instance of MS Access or this particular C# application (or any other app) should be able to open the access database file concurrently. however it seems that this is not happening. A second instance of my program run from another computer under another LAN user id can successfully open a connection to the database using the same connection string, specifying Share E...

Another way to open an MS ACCESS 2000 database?
Hi! I've developed an ms access 2000 db. Then I'll protect the db with a password. But I want to open the access 2000 file from a Delphi 7 program, and try to have the program connect to the ms access 2000 db. 1. How can I have the OnOpen_event of the starting form in access check if the db is being tried open from doubleclicking the access 2000 file itself, and deny the user to open except from the Delphi program? 2. What is the connection string to the access 2000 file from the Delphi 7 program? The reason is that I'll write to the register from Delphi 7 and do ...

Web resources about - Open a database from a database - comp.databases.ms-access