Opening access database for exclusive access

hi Folks,

I am opening my access database file (Access 2003) from a C#
application.  The connection string specifies mode=Share Exclusive

The intent is that the application have exclusive access to the
database file.  No other instance of MS Access or this particular C#
application (or any other app) should be able to open the access
database file concurrently.

however it seems that this is not happening.  A second instance of my
program run from another computer under another LAN user id can
successfully open a connection to the database using the same
connection string, specifying Share Exclusive.

I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

-John

jljamison#gmail.com@NOSPAM

0
jljamison (2)

never mind - i figured it out.  I had inadvertently put two "Mode=..."
pairs in my connection string,  the latter one was less restrictive.

0
jljamison (2)

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to > access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to > log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way > around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. > Thanks Mike > We have just started this database so any changes would be better done > sooner. It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each PC. You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example. Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access reverts to single-user only. -- regards, Br@dley Br@dley wrote:...

Is it possible to open an Access 2007 accdb database in Access 2003?
I understand that new features would not be available but is there any way I could open an accdb database in Access 2003? Robert Hi, Robert. >I understand that new features would not be available but is there any way >I could open an accdb database in Access 2003? Sorry. "Unrecognized database format." ACCDB's require Access 2007. HTH. Gunny See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs. See http://www.Access.QBuilt.com for Microsoft Access tips and tutorials. Blogs: www.DataDevilDog.BlogSpot.com, www.DatabaseTips.BlogSpot.com http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/expert_contributors2.html for contact info. "Robert" <cpq1bcle@verizon.net> wrote in message news:S2O0i.38$eP6.33@newsfe06.lga... >I understand that new features would not be available but is there any way >I could open an accdb database in Access 2003? > > Robert > On Thu, 10 May 2007 19:25:51 -0400, "Robert" <cpq1bcle@verizon.net> wrote: Software rarely is forward compatible, and Access 2003 is no exception. Does your software anticipate the changes you'll make four years later? -Tom. >I understand that new features would not be available but is there any way I >could open an accdb database in Access 2003? > >Robert > "Robert" <cpq1bcle@verizon.net> wrote in news:S2O0i.38$eP6.33@newsfe06.lga: > I understand that new features would not be available but is there > any way I ...

Accessing Access

Access 2003 database will not open using Access 2002
Hi everyone. I am trying to open a database which works fine using Access 2003, but when trying to open it on another PC that has Access 2002 I get the following error "This database is unrecognised file format, it may have been created with a later version of Access, upgrade to a later version..." Could anyone please help to resolve this issue. Many thanks. Joe. Use Access 2003 to decompile the database. To decompile, create a copy, and enter something like this at the command prompt while Access is not running. It is all one line, and include the quotes: "c:\Program Files\Microsoft office\office\msaccess.exe" /decompile "c:\MyPath\MyDatabase.mdb" Then compact the database to get rid of this junk: Tools | Database Utilities | Compact/Repair Although Access 2002 and 2003 share the same file format, each version of Access creates a different binary for the compiled code. What it's supposed to do it automatically discard the 2003 binary when you open the database in A2002, and create the new binary on the fly. In practice, this doesn't always work. The decompile explicitly discarding the binary, which usually solves the problem. This issue is common enough that IMHO, it is always worth decompiling when switching version, especially when reverting to an earlier version. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, r...

Opening databases with out MS access
Hi, I have an Access database file with all the switchboard commands and what I want to do is to try to access the switchboard command without opening microsoft access. Which means i want to access the database without opening access. I am seeing if I can make this file an executable file but i dont think this is the solution. If anybody have any ideas, please help. Thanks > I have an Access database file with all the switchboard commands and > what I want to do is to try to access the switchboard command without > opening microsoft access. Which means i want to access the database > without opening access. I am seeing if I can make this file an > executable file but i dont think this is the solution. If anybody have > any ideas, please help. Thanks You cannot use Access interface without having Access installed into your pc. -- PBsoft di Gabriele Bertolucci www.pbsoft.it skype: pbsoftsolution http://www.mvps.org/access/general/gen0001.htm *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** "Gabriele Bertolucci" <info@REMOVEpbsoft.it> wrote > You cannot use Access interface without > having Access installed into your pc. You can use (but not modify the design of) an Access database if you have the Access runtime, as packaged by the Office Developer Edition (pre-2003) or by the Visual Studio Tools for Office 2003 System. If, in your view, installing the Access runtime qualifies as "having Access install...

"You don't have exclusive access to your database at this time" (Access 2003)
Hi, All of a sudden one of our clients can't use her application. She gets "You don't have exclusive access to your database at this time" when trying to open our application. The only thing she did today, according to her, was to download and install an Avery label wizard. She has rebooted and there are no other versions of Access running. The shortcut that launches the application does point to a version of Access (2003) because the installation wizard found an existing version on her PC. I believe it points to Office 11. Any ideas? -paulw Nevermind. She uninstalled the Avery Label Wizard and the problem went away! -paulw ...

Java access to Microsoft Access database through Samba
Hi, I need to access from an JSP application in a Linux server to a Microsoft Access database (only read) that is in another Windows server (only accepts users in its domain, that are different from Linux server users) I have configured Samba so that I can access to the database file. When I access through the folder navigator of Linux it requests me user, domain and password and access without problems. I do not know, how to access from a Java/JSP application, it's possible to do it? what driver I must use? it is necessary to configure Samaba to have permission some user in parti...

Web resources about - Opening access database for exclusive access - comp.databases.ms-access

Market Exclusive: Stock market insights and analysis
#1 Source For Financial News & analysis

Exclusive correlation spectroscopy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Exclusive correlation spectroscopy (ECOSY) is an NMR correlation experiment introduced by O. W. Sørensen, Christian Griesinger, Richard R. Ernst ...

Bruno Mars ‘Gorilla’ Video Set For Exclusive Premiere On Facebook Monday
Not only will he catch a grenade for you, but singer-songwriter Bruno Mars will also premiere the video for “Gorilla” for you, exclusively on ...

EXCLUSIVE: GLEE STAR LEA MICHELE TALKS FOR THE FIRST TIME ABOUT LOSING CORY AND UPCOMING TRIBUTE EP
By: Jenny Cooney Carrillo Lea Michele describes the upcoming Glee tribute episode to Finn Hudson, played by her late boyfriend and co-star Cory ...

Facebook and CrowdStar Sign Five Year Deal to Make Credits the Exclusive Virtual Currency
... status as the lead test partner for Credits, Facebook’s virtual currency. The two companies have signed a deal where the developer will exclusively ...

People.com : Celebrity News, Celebrity Photos, Exclusives and Star Style
People.com : The #1 Celebrity Site for breaking news, celebrity pictures and star style

Exclusive Photos: Rasheeda and Kirk - S2SMagazine
“Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta” couple Kirk and Rasheeda Frost grace the cover of the March 2014 issue. They discuss their relationship, reality TV, ...

Search Twitter - tomb raider exclusive
Sign in Sign up Search Refresh Parris @ vicious696 20m Check out Episode #444 - Tomb Raider Exclusive Deal Bad For Gaming? OnePlus One Review ...

EXCLUSIVE: #CrushTrump Organizers Caught on Audio Thrilled About Media Portrayal
EXCLUSIVE: #CrushTrump Organizers Caught on Audio Thrilled About Media Portrayal

iPad exclusive: Art Gonzales interrupts Susan Spencer - 48 Hours Videos - CBS News
The former FBI agent interrupts "48 Hours" correspondent Susan Spencer's interview with his attorney, Mark Gardner, to question her.