Pasting 1st line of memo field to a text field (revisited)

A little while ago Ron P kindly responded to my inquiry on how to copy
the first line of memo field into a text field, using a query:

left([MemoField],instr(1,[MemoField],vbCrLf)-1)

This is great, but I would like to do this on a form, so that the
person entering the memo can use a button to paste the 1st line to a
title (text) field. I'm having trouble setting up the code to do this.
I'd also appreciate some ideas on how to get the 2nd and 3rd lines
copied to other fields.

Thanks

Alex

0
alexsg (3)

alexsg@msn.com.au wrote:

> A little while ago Ron P kindly responded to my inquiry on how to copy
> the first line of memo field into a text field, using a query:
>
> left([MemoField],instr(1,[MemoField],vbCrLf)-1)
>
> This is great, but I would like to do this on a form, so that the
> person entering the memo can use a button to paste the 1st line to a
> title (text) field. I'm having trouble setting up the code to do this.
> I'd also appreciate some ideas on how to get the 2nd and 3rd lines
> copied to other fields.
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex

Here's some code you can modify.  This opens up a table called Table3
and reads 2 records in this table that have memos.  You can change the
count if you like.

It attempts to read and display the first 3 lines of the memo before
moving on to the next record.  If there are only 1 or 2 lines, it
displays them then goes on to the next record.

It's possible that at the end of the memo the operator hits the tab key.
  This will not have a CR/LF at the end.

When you read the memo in your form, in the AfterUpdate event you can
run the modified code I have provided.  With the variable "i" you can
assign the result "s" string to Text1, Text2, or Text3 depending on
"i's" value.

You can copy this code into a code module.  Then change the table name
and memo field name in the code below.  It will run fine and demo how do
do what you want.

Sub abcdef()
     Dim r As DAO.Recordset
     Dim i As Integer
     Dim j As Integer
     Dim k As Integer
     Dim s As String

     'change Table3 to your table name
     Set r = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Table3", dbOpenSnapshot)

     Do While Not r.EOF
         If Not IsNull(r!memoF) Then
             k = k + 1  'record counter

             'only check 2 records
             If k = 3 Then Exit Do

             'change all MemoF refs in this code to
             'your memo field name
             s = r!memoF 'assign to the string var

             For j = 1 To 3
                 'find the first CR/LF
                 i = InStr(s, vbNewLine)

                 If i > 0 Then
                     'it found a crlf
                     MsgBox k & " " & j & " " & Left(s, i - 1)
                     If i + 2 >= Len(r!memoF) Then
                         'there are no move cr/lf's
                         Exit For
                     Else
                         'we have more cr/lf's
                         s = Mid(s, i + 2)
                     End If
                 Else
                     'there was either 1 cr/lf or else this
                     'has no cr/lf left because of the tab
                     'key being pressed
                     MsgBox k & " " & j & " " & s
                     Exit For
                 End If
             Next
         End If
         r.MoveNext
     Loop
     r.Close
     Set r = Nothing
     MsgBox "Done"
End Sub

0
oil (4047)

text fields to memo field
Is there a way to combine text fields into one memo field? This is an existing database. Some people in the database may have several "contact" entries where they have a "note" in a text field. I would like to figure a way to combine all the "note" fields for each person into one memo field. Thank you "RR" <texson552000@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<S6HRb.969$ee6.74@fe2.texas.rr.com>... > Is there a way to combine text fields into one memo field? > > This is an existing database. Some people in the database may have seve...

Moving text from alpha fields to memo/formatted memo field
Hi I have a small app where I have a few alpha fields for text comments. Now I would like to change these fields to one memo or formatted memo field. How? I have tried and managed to move texts in ascii-format with delimiters and separators useing TextStream. I have also managed to import, by importAsciiVar, it back to paradox table but not in memo or f-memo fields, only in alpha field. The problem is that the length of alpha field is only 255 chars and I would need more, not moch but a little. You have some tricks, I'm sure, so would you tell me too. Thanks and greetings ...

Forcing a New Line in a Text Field in MS Access using VB
Heya! I feel I'm beating an old horse to death with this question but I can't get around the problem. I want to update a text field on a form with a string from a VB module. I need enter/linefeeds in the string. I've tried: Chr(10) & Chr(13) Chr(13) & Chr(10 vbnewline vbcrlf none of which seem to work. I've set the properties for the text box to [Enter Key Behavior] = 'New Line In Field' and [Can Grow] = 'yes'. At the moment, my code looks like this: celsql = celsql _ & "Program: " & encname _ & vbCrLf _ & vbCrLf _ & "Start Time: " & sttim _ & vbCrLf _ & "Participants: " & numpart _ & vbCrLf _ & "Confirmed by Curator: " & cbc _ & vbCrLf _ & "Client: " & clntnm _ & vbCrLf _ & "Contact: " & cntct _ & vbCrLf _ & vbCrLf Forms(frm)(bts) = celsql If I toss this string into a [MsgBox], it comes out fine. It's just something about the text field... I'm working in MSAccess 2007, but need it backwards compatible to 2003. I'd really appreciate any advice. Cheers, KG I've seen this type of problem before, but I typically just use a separate text box for each data field. Is there a par...

MS Qry and text field to date field
I am using MS Query to pull files (from IBM AS400) and put them in Excel. However, when I do this the dates are now text fields. The text/ Date field looks like this: 20070331 (YYYYMMDD) I would like the change this text to a date field so Excel will see it as a date. Can someone please help me? I have looked all over the place for a solution and I have found nothing. Also, if you know of a good place to get information on MS query please let me know. /Thanks! wwolford wrote: > I am using MS Query to pull files (from IBM AS400) and put them in > Excel. However, when I do this the dates are now text fields. The text/ > Date field looks like this: 20070331 (YYYYMMDD) > > > I would like the change this text to a date field so Excel will see > it as a date. > > Can someone please help me? I have looked all over the place for a > solution and I have found nothing. > > Also, if you know of a good place to get information on MS query > please let me know. > > /Thanks! > In Access you could use DateSerial. Ex: x ="20070331" ? dateserial(left(x,4),Mid(x,5,2),mid(x,7,2)) ...

MS Access Memo Fields
Hi I am a novice at Access (2002) and I need some help. I want to use a query to interrogate a memo field which contains the body of an email but despite help with the syntax etc. I can not get it to return any records. Can anyone tell me if there are limitations using queries on Memo fields? For example, do they just look at the first 255 characters, all the field contents or just not work at all The query I am running is: SELECT Emails.* FROM Emails WHERE ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%BUY%' Or ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%SELL%' ORDER BY Emails.[Message#]; I was also unsure whether the Like function is case sensitive Thanks <philip.spinks@gartmore.com> wrote in message news:1181653682.879684.93670@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hi > > I am a novice at Access (2002) and I need some help. I want to use a > query to interrogate a memo field which contains the body of an email > but despite help with the syntax etc. I can not get it to return any > records. > > Can anyone tell me if there are limitations using queries on Memo > fields? For example, do they just look at the first 255 characters, > all the field contents or just not work at all > > The query I am running is: > > SELECT Emails.* > FROM Emails > WHERE ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%BUY%' Or > ucase(Emails.MessageTxt) Like '%SELL%' > ORDER BY Emails.[Message#]; > > I was also unsure whether the Lik...

Accessing text form fields name=field[label]

MS Access Memo field question?
Hi I was wondering is it possible to read write to a memo field in ms access, the same way you would read write to a text field? I have my database set up and reading writeing to the databse ok using text field but I have to now store strings which will contain 316 characters e.g 1315259804765771089746208008724780151971640940654061 5945089711350055105440014387233852223755558178959373 5901729523358226196346901333363266720160161567476750 8698500810033377223926558621622404221161922571217657 5908662820038302522362188659394554116014527409368579 573295108852401025657242056374503972313949815709 6436944847683848865450458408521580987232589912971236 713653320010771954202838636539445174893761859498584761 774348548858284051610193336458404802244737321229315795 259346400597219730922809042994571064196264789556436973 256754063980517342616225212190669661339367714653468330 0777901869239185845560584199360795573155 I need to do it beacuse Im encrypting ever thing in the database, Thank if you can help Niall ...

access97, sql2005 memo field in a linked table shows as a text field
I've got two tables in sql2005 which have an 'ntext' field when I linked the first table in access97 last week using an odbc data source the access-field type was 'memo' when I link the 2nd table today, it is linked as a text(255) field, ditto for the first table if I link it today if I link the 2nd table using access2003 (and the same odbc data source) it is linked as a memo field I don't think anything was changed on sql2005 or access97 since linkage of the first table produce the correct field type does anyone know what is required to get access97 to link a memo field ? On Aug 21, 12:59 pm, Roger <lesperan...@natpro.com> wrote: > I've got two tables in sql2005 which have an 'ntext' field > when I linked the first table in access97 last week using an odbc data > source the access-field type was 'memo' > > when I link the 2nd table today, it is linked as a text(255) field, > ditto for the first table if I link it today > > if I link the 2nd table using access2003 (and the same odbc data > source) it is linked as a memo field > > I don't think anything was changed on sql2005 or access97 since > linkage of the first table produce the correct field type > > does anyone know what is required to get access97 to link a memo > field ? If I change the sql table field from 'ntext' to 'text' and relink, the access field is now 'memo', but when I display the...

SQL Server View integer field shows as text field in Access
Hi All! I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is defined as a text field in Access. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it? Thanks in advance! KB On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 20:31:43 -0700 (PDT), kevinfbutt <kevin.butt@iavalley.edu> wrote: That's quite unusual. Can you post the SQL for that field in that view? What version of Access and SQL Server? Fully patched? Can you replicate the problem with a view in one of the SQL Server sample databases? -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >Hi All! > >I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer >field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is >defined as a text field in Access. > >Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it? > >Thanks in advance! > >KB Is the column in the view the result of a calculation? If so, try applying the CAST or CONVERT function to coerce the result back into an integer. "kevinfbutt" <kevin.butt@iavalley.edu> wrote in message news:162bd7b3-e29e-4aba-bb57-e92bfd689684@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com... > Hi All! > > I have an SQL Server View where my field in the view is an integer > field and works well. When I link to it from Access, the field is > defined as a text field in Access. > > Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how to fix it? > >...

Access treating Memo like a Text field
Hi, I have an web app and I am using access 2002 and VB.net. I am using a data adapter to fill a dataset. I am retrieving product descriptions, some are long and i have used a field of memo datatype to save them in. The problem is sometimes I can only retrieve the first 255 characters in a memo field and other times I can retrieve the full product descriptions which can be over 640 charaters. The problem is consistent, the same fields are always truncated to 255 characters and the others are always displayed in full. Has anyone heard of this before? Any ideas on where I can look? Thanks ...

multiple conditions in a join, access doesn't like on (table1.field=table2.field and table1.field=table3.field)
Hi I have written the following query and am having problems with the last outer join in ms access... it doesn't like the multiple conditions that I have in there, if I have just one or the other its OK but not both... and I have tried putting the second condition in a where clause but then i don't get an outer join i'm pulling my hair out on this one... i would be extremely greatful for some ideas... SELECT ro.thickness,ro.width,ro.grade,sum(ro.pcs) as pieces, ro.length,GT.thicknessid,t.thicknessid,gt.gradethicknessgroupid, gtd.gradeid, gr.gradeid FROM(((NewOrders as RO LEFT OUTER JOIN Grades as GR on GR.gradename=ro.grade) LEFT OUTER JOIN thicknesses as t on t.imperialdecimal=ro.thickness) LEFT OUTER JOIN GradeThicknessGroups as GT on GT.thicknessid=t.thicknessid) LEFT OUTER JOIN GradeThicknessGroupDetail as GTD on (GTD.GradeThicknessGroupID=GT.GradeThicknessGroupID and gtd.gradeid=gr.gradeid) where gtd.gradeid=gr.gradeid GROUP BY ro.thickness,ro.width,ro.grade, ro.length,t.thicknessid,gr.gradeid,gt.thicknessid, gt.gradethicknessgroupid, gtd.gradeid Order By ro.thickness,ro.width my tables looks like this [NewOrders] ID (PK) Width Thickness Grade Length [Grade] GradeID (PK) GradeName [GradeThicknessGroups] GradeThicknessGroupID (PK) ThicknessID (FK: [Thickness]) [GradeThicknessGroupsDetails] GradeThicknessGroupDetailID (PK) GradeThicknessGroupID GradeID (FK: [Grade]) [Thickness] ThicknessID (PK) ImperialDecimal oops i left the where statement in.. r...

How to link fields in MS word document to Access database
Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an access database? What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in an Access database. I also want to later select the document (from a file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields from the database. Of course if there are then any updates I want to put them back into the database. Workable? Anyone with sample code? Bob Alston On Jun 10, 6:21=A0pm, Bob Alston <bobalst...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Anyone have experience in linking fields in an MS Word document to an > access database? Hello Bob, Instead of Word documents I use RTF-documents. RTF-documents act just like Word documents in Word. The difference is that RFT-documents are plain text-files, and can easily be processed in Access to find - with the appropriate placeholders - the filled in information. HBInc. > > What I am considering doing is taking an existing fill-in-the fields > word document, for which I cannot now save the data, and allow it to be > opened with no data, have the fields filled in and then save the data in > an Access database. =A0I also want to later select the document (from a > file in the database), open the word document and populate the fields > from the database. =A0Of course if there are then ...

Copying and pasting into a memo field
I have a pretty straightforward database that is designed to record free-form information about products (date, source and a memo field). This is searched and updated via a form. For new records, the memo field is usually filled by cutting and pasting from e-mails, web content and spreadsheets. The only problem is that some of the memos can be just a few words, and some can be tens or hundreds of lines, and I've realised that zooming matching fields one by one is very tedious! Ideally I'd like to make the form detect multiple line memo fields, and break them up so that it enters in...

Strip data in clipboard to text only so that it may be pasted into memo field
I have a form with a large memo field that is designed to hold lengthy comments. There are times when my users need to paste in e-mails directly into the comment box. This works fine unless their e-mail contains attachments, pictures, etc. In the event that their copy action captured something other than text than nothing happens when they try and paste into the comment field. I considered handling this with an imbedded OLE object, but the application already houses 10,000 comments, and will eventually house around 30-40k in the near future. My thoughts are that this would be way too big. I'm wondering if there would be a method to 'clean' the object in the clipboard so that it contained only text. I'm guessing this would require some sort of API call, but I'm not sure how to go about making something like that. I was wondering if anybody had seen some existing code that did something similar. I am currently using A97 with Win2k. In about a month we are scheduled to all have Win XP with Office 2003, and already half of the users using this have the upgraded version. I am not sure if this newer version of Access will provide additional tools to make this easier. Thanks in advance -Andy On 31 Oct 2006 15:37:28 -0800, Andy_Khosravi@bcbsmn.com wrote: >I have a form with a large memo field that is designed to hold lengthy >comments. There are times when my users need to paste in e-mails >directly into the comment box. This works fine unless the...

HELP! Retriving field names and properties from MS Access database using ASP
Hi everyone! I have a really frustrating error and need help. I&#8217;m trying to do a function that gets the properties and names of the fields in a MS Access database using ASP. I haven&#8217;t programmed in a while so I&#8217;m quite lost. Once I have the my database structure I will insert the corresponding fields from a web form but the database is huge and I want to be able to change the database and form without changing the ASP code all the time. This is my function that is not working yet. I cant seem to connect properly to the database... Function InsertDataBase() ...

Get the real type of columns from MS Access databases(OLEObject, text, memo, numeric)
Hello, I made one application that opens MS Access databases.And I have one problem.How can I find the real data type of columns(text, memo, OLEObject, numeric) like it is into Access.I tried with resultSetMetaData.getColumnType(columnIndex) but I receive java.sql.Types.I have two columns that contains OLEObjects(images).But I receive two different types for columns : VARCHAR once, and for second column SMALLINT.I only want to see the types like in Access(OLEObjects, Text, Numeric, Memo...).Thanks in advance! Best regards, Calin Pop ...

Changing Text Field to ported field
I did a search, and maybe I'm looking things up using the wrong criteria. I apologize if this has been discussed before, and if it has, please let me know where to find it. Thanks. FMPro V6.04 Windows XP Our users are currently entering in all SW code associated with a problem into a text field, using paragraph returns or comma's as delimiters. To make metric gathering more useful, I created a child database to collect the SW mods individually (with all the details that go with them), and have created portal on my main database to this child database so that they can enter in the ...

"Record Deleted" error when appending to a memo field from a memo field
I found what is causing the error by removing various fields from the Append Query. I also get the error when doing an INSERT INTO. I do not get the error if I do not list the memo field in the Insert or have it in the Append Query. This is not happening with the same field in another query (but I need to check that again). Any ideas why I am getting the "Record Deleted" error? No records end up getting written to the destination table. I know it used to work. -paulw On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 1:46:58 PM UTC-4, PW wrote: > I found what is causing the error by removing various fields from the > Append Query. I also get the error when doing an INSERT INTO. > > I do not get the error if I do not list the memo field in the Insert > or have it in the Append Query. > > This is not happening with the same field in another query (but I need > to check that again). > > Any ideas why I am getting the "Record Deleted" error? No records end > up getting written to the destination table. > > I know it used to work. > > -paulw Are you sure the fields in both tables are the same? What happens if you update record by record? Dim r as recordset Dim r1 as recordset set r = currentdb.openrecordset("Table1",dbopensnapshot) set r1 = currentdb.openrecordset("Table1",dbopenDynaset) R.movefirst Do while not r.eof r1.addnew r1!Field1 = r!Field1 ...

Changing drop-down field to text field.
I am working on creating an editable grid (for use in adding, deleting, and editing rows back to an Oracle database). I have a JSP that posts back to a servlet, which in turns posts to a WebLogic SFSB and, from there, to the database. On the front end, all cells appear as text fields. However, for certain cells, when the user clicks on the cell, the text field turns into a drop-down field (i.e. Select object), defaulting to the value in the text field (unless the field is blank, in which case the drop-down defaults to the first entry in the drop-down). Once the user has selected a new en...

How to convert Number Field to Text Field
I'm newbie in Filemaker, currently I'm using Filemaker pro v 6.01 on Windows XP. I have a small problem. I'm trying to make a solution for Hotel Rate. I want to change the USD. 0.00 to "Included" for breakfast rate which already included in the room rate. Anybody can help, will be much appreciated. Thanks. "Adhie" <priyadi77@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ba1b5c27.0404080446.21e110b2@posting.google.com... > I'm newbie in Filemaker, currently I'm using Filemaker pro v 6.01 on > Windows XP. I have a small problem. I'm trying to make a ...

Linking A Text Field With A Number Field
Is there any way to link a field I'll call StudentId in Table1 with StudentId in Table2? In Table1, StudentId is a number and in Table2 it's a text field. The values match up fine so other than one being a number and the other a text field, everything else would be okay. I know I can create an append query to copy, say, Table2 to e.g. Table3 and make StudentId a number field in Student3 but wondered if there's a more "elegant" solution. Thanks, Sheldon Potolsky On Mar 6, 11:42=A0am, Sheldon <SHPsalm...@aol.com> wrote: > Is there any way to link a field I'll call StudentId in Table1 with > StudentId in Table2? =A0In Table1, StudentId is a number and in Table2 > it's a text field. =A0The values match up fine so other than one being a > number and the other a text field, everything else would be okay. =A0I > know I can create an append query to copy, say, Table2 to e.g. Table3 > and make StudentId a number field in Student3 but wondered if there's > a more "elegant" solution. > > Thanks, > > Sheldon Potolsky You could use Cstr() or Clng() functions - depending on which side you're doing the connection. If you are going from a number to text convert it to Text with a Cstr() or vice versa. Sol. Sheldon wrote: > Is there any way to link a field I'll call StudentId in Table1 with > StudentId in Table2? In Table1, StudentId is a number and in Table2 > it's a text field. ...

concatenating 2nd field if 1st field is same #2
I have a file: data1:1,2,3,4 data2:434,434,233,7 data3:23,44,76,334 data4:4,6,55,8 data1:6,76,45,09 data5:45,43,343,2 data2:3,43,5,5656,5 I am using awk with input field separator as ":" I want to concatenate field 2 of every record that has the same field 1. The final contents of the processed file should look like: data1:1,2,3,4,6,76,45,09 data2:434,434,233,7,3,43,5,5656,5 data3:23,44,76,334 data4:4,6,55,8 data5:45,43,343,2 Any guidance is highly appreciated. In article <c4ff98be-323d-4802-9d1e-f48a0bcb3d18@q39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, <sixstringsin@yahoo.co.i...

Create date field from substring of text field
I am trying to populate a field in a SQL table based on the values returned from using substring on a text field. Example: Field Name = RecNum Field Value = 024071023 The 7th and 8th character of this number is the year. I am able to get those digits by saying substring(recnum,7,2) and I get '02'. Now what I need to do is determine if this is >= 50 then concatenate a '19' to the front of it or if it is less that '50' concatenate a '20'. This particular example should return '2002'. Then I want to take the result of this and populate a field called TaxYear. Any help would be greatly apprecaietd. Mark Mark, Assuming both RecNum and TaxYear fields are in the same table, you can use this script to populate TaxYear: update YourTable set TaxYear = case when SubString(RecNum,7,2) >= '50' then '19' + SubString(RecNum,7,2) else '20' + SubString(RecNum,7,2) end Shervin "Mark" <markcash@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:57bdc737.0310151257.1dc4d0a9@posting.google.com... > I am trying to populate a field in a SQL table based on the values > returned from using substring on a text field. > > Example: > > Field Name = RecNum > Field Value = 024071023 > > The 7th and 8th character of this number is the year. I am able to > get those digits by saying substring(recnum,7,2) and I get '02'. Now > what...

update text field based on selection field

Web resources about - Pasting 1st line of memo field to a text field (revisited) - comp.databases.ms-access

Revisited (Tom Lehrer album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
On the original Lehrer Records release of Revisited , tracks 1–6 (side 1) were recorded live on November 23 & 24, 1959, in Kresge Auditorium ...

The end of Facebook Credits revisited: the effect on TrialPay
Earlier this month, Facebook announced that it would be officially ending Facebook Payments on September 12 . Instead, Facebook will begin using ...

Sign of the times revisited - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I was able to get a little closer today. Click here for the view of the street.

Zombie Killer Revisited - YouTube
Leslie and the Ly's Present: "Zombie Killer" featuring guest vocals from Elvira, Mistress of the Dark!! This was an all-volunteer effort from ...

Pig City revisited: Brisbane writer Andrew Stafford updates tome on music and politics
A common misconception about Andrew Stafford's Pig City is that it is a chronicle of a Brisbane music scene fueled by the oppressive political ...

Is Iraq Vietnam revisited?
&#160;There are some parallels between the situation facing us in Iraq and the situation that faced us when we first deployed to South Vietnam ...

Vietnam war revisited on 50th anniversary of Long Tan
Never have the notes of the Last Post seemed more significant than at this moment. I’m standing in a nondescript corner of southern Vietnam, ...

Venice revisited
To sit in the Piazza San Marco with the sun shining is like finding yourself in a Verdi opera, writes Michael Gebicki.

Ashes of the Singularity Revisited: A Beta Look at DirectX 12 & Asynchronous Shading
We’ve been following DirectX 12 for about 2 years now, watching Microsoft’s next-generation low-level graphics API go from an internal development ...

The console wars revisited: Two years of Xbox One vs. PS4
(credit: Aurich Lawson Getty Images) Back in late 2013 when both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 were brand new to the gaming scene, we recommended ...