Possible to hide code outside the mdb and use this code?

Hi all,

Is it possible to 'hide' code (e.g. in a mde) and to use this in app.mdb?

Reason for asking:
I have made some of the applications a client (health-care organisation) works with.
My applications are usually mde's (Access '97 and up) or secured mdb's (Access 2.0)
I want to secure the code and I also don't want clients to be able to 'mess up' applications I made.

The organisation also uses 'own' mdb's. They work A LOT with Access.
Now they ask me to enhance one of  'their' mdb's.  (A2k)
They want far more features than they can accomplish themselves.
I can use some of my usual code-routines for this task but don't want all of this code to be visible
for them.

Client persists in getting an mdb, because they want to be able to make changes themselves again
afterwards.
I want to protect at least some of my 'routines'.  How? What is the best approach here?

Maybe I could use a code.mde as add-in or something alike ?

TIA
Arno R

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:00:09 +0100, "Arno R"
<arracomn_o_s_p_a_m@tiscali.nl> wrote:

Indeed you can.
However, check with the client first. Since they obviously want source
code, they may not want you to "hide" code. They may rather want to
buy your source code as a library.

-Tom.

>Hi all,
>
>Is it possible to 'hide' code (e.g. in a mde) and to use this in app.mdb?
>
>Reason for asking:
>I have made some of the applications a client (health-care organisation) works with.
>My applications are usually mde's (Access '97 and up) or secured mdb's (Access 2.0)
>I want to secure the code and I also don't want clients to be able to 'mess up' applications I made.
>
>The organisation also uses 'own' mdb's. They work A LOT with Access.
>Now they ask me to enhance one of  'their' mdb's.  (A2k)
>They want far more features than they can accomplish themselves.
>I can use some of my usual code-routines for this task but don't want all of this code to be visible
>for them.
>
>Client persists in getting an mdb, because they want to be able to make changes themselves again
>afterwards.
>I want to protect at least some of my 'routines'.  How? What is the best approach here?
>
>Maybe I could use a code.mde as add-in or something alike ?
>
>TIA
>Arno R

0
tom7744 (598)
11/14/2003 2:04:46 PM
You can have code libraries which are external to the current mdb.

.... But I would agree with Tom van Stiphout that you need to clarify with
the customer exactly what they are getting and whether they want to own the
source code or are willing to let you retain ownership.

Terry

"Arno R" <arracomn_o_s_p_a_m@tiscali.nl> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to 'hide' code (e.g. in a mde) and to use this in app.mdb?
>
> Reason for asking:
> I have made some of the applications a client (health-care organisation)
works with.
> My applications are usually mde's (Access '97 and up) or secured mdb's
(Access 2.0)
> I want to secure the code and I also don't want clients to be able to
'mess up' applications I made.

> The organisation also uses 'own' mdb's. They work A LOT with Access.
> Now they ask me to enhance one of  'their' mdb's.  (A2k)
> They want far more features than they can accomplish themselves.
> I can use some of my usual code-routines for this task but don't want all
of this code to be visible
> for them.
>
> Client persists in getting an mdb, because they want to be able to make
changes themselves again
> afterwards.
> I want to protect at least some of my 'routines'.  How? What is the best
approach here?

> Maybe I could use a code.mde as add-in or something alike ?
>
> TIA
> Arno R

0
terry.kreft (988)
11/14/2003 4:08:46 PM
Thanks Tom and Terry for your reply's.

> You can have code libraries which are external to the current mdb.
I thought it must be possible indeed but ...
How to create/ use them?    I never did this before ...
Where can I find more and explicit info on this? Any examples?

> ... But I would agree with Tom van Stiphout that you need to clarify with
> the customer exactly what they are getting and whether they want to own the
> source code or are willing to let you retain ownership.

Customer said this afternoon that they don't need to own the sourcecode
but want to be able to modify the mdb when they think they need to.

Arno R

arracomn_o_s_p_a_m@tiscali.nl (Arno R) wrote in
<3fb51656$0$79346$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl>:

>> ... But I would agree with Tom van Stiphout that you need to
>> clarify with the customer exactly what they are getting and
>> whether they want to own the source code or are willing to let
>> you retain ownership.
>
>Customer said this afternoon that they don't need to own the
>sourcecode but want to be able to modify the mdb when they think
>they need to.

I had a contract that the client eventually walked away from that
specified that I'd provide a perpetual license to use my code
library MDE with this one application and that I'd provide a help
file documenting the interface to all the functionality in that
library. It never got finished because of a management change, so I
never ended up creating the help file.

But the principle was this:

1. the client would have full control of the front end code.

2. any dependencies on library code would be documented in terms of
what they did and what interface they had.

The latter would allow any developer who came in after me to modify
the code they owned to understand how my code worked and replace it
if he wanted to do so.

dfenton at bway dot net                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc
0
dXXXfenton (2542)
11/14/2003 9:07:36 PM
A fair agreement it seems to me.

I tend to find that people tend to get a bit freaky when dealing with a one
man shop, therefore I'm not too concerned with whether they have the source
code or not.

Having said that the UK tends to be s bit less litiginous than, say, the US
so it's easier to be relaxed about such things over here.

Terry

"David W. Fenton" <dXXXfenton@bway.net.invalid> wrote in message
> arracomn_o_s_p_a_m@tiscali.nl (Arno R) wrote in
> <3fb51656$0$79346$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl>:
>
> >> ... But I would agree with Tom van Stiphout that you need to
> >> clarify with the customer exactly what they are getting and
> >> whether they want to own the source code or are willing to let
> >> you retain ownership.
> >
> >Customer said this afternoon that they don't need to own the
> >sourcecode but want to be able to modify the mdb when they think
> >they need to.
>
> I had a contract that the client eventually walked away from that
> specified that I'd provide a perpetual license to use my code
> library MDE with this one application and that I'd provide a help
> file documenting the interface to all the functionality in that
> library. It never got finished because of a management change, so I
> never ended up creating the help file.
>
> But the principle was this:
>
> 1. the client would have full control of the front end code.
>
> 2. any dependencies on library code would be documented in terms of
> what they did and what interface they had.
>
> The latter would allow any developer who came in after me to modify
> the code they owned to understand how my code worked and replace it
> if he wanted to do so.
>
> --
> David W. Fenton                        http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
> dfenton at bway dot net                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc

0
terry.kreft (988)

Access the database using VBA code
Private Sub tbDate_AfterUpdate() Dim cnn As New ADODB.Connection Dim rst As New ADODB.Recordset rst.CursorLocation = adUseClient Set cnn = CurrentProject.Connection rst.Open "SELECT * FROM Table1 ORDER BY StudentID ASC", cnn, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText rst.Close cnn.Close End Sub I have been trying to sort the database through the VBA code. The above SQL statement works very well when I do it in the SQL view or Design view of Query. Somehow I am not able to access the database through VBA code; I don't understand where I am going wrong. Can anybody please help me? I am using Access 2003 with OS as Win 2003 professional. Do I need to create some kind of User DSN or File DSN, if so can you please give me the procedure or any website where I can learn to do it. Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated Thank you so much. This may be me misunderstanding or a syntactical error but... The database itself doesn't get sorted or re-arranged. When you run an ordered query or view rows on a form you are looking through a window at a virtual view of the records (rows) not a re-ordering of the records themselves. The apparently re-ordered rows from a table are an abstraction. The code you included opens an ADO recordset then closes it. It doesn't actually do anything with it. Could you refine your question? -- Nick Coe (UK) AccHelp v1.01 Application Help File Builder http://www.alphacos.co....

To code or not to code?
To code or not to code, that is question! Reporting from Lotus Notes Applications has never been easy. Notes developers usually need to write reams of code to create even the simplest of reports. Check this - a single-level cross-tab report takes about 2 days of code writing! Creating reports with higher functionality only means more coding and more complexities. Is there an alternative to this? You bet there is! Introducing IntelliPRINT Reporting - a cutting-edge next generation solution for Lotus Notes reporting. It is a native Lotus Notes solution that acts as an add-on lay...

To Code or Not to Code?
Just read a paper with the very interesting title, "To code or not to code: lossy source-channel communication revisited", Gastpar et al, IEEE Trans Information Theory, May 2003, p 1147. It's available for free here... http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~gastpar/01197846.pdf As far as I can tell, the idea is that although source and channel coding can be separated without loss of optimality (Shannon) it can be overly complex, and less complex systems can get close to this opimality by combining source and channel coding, or at least matching them in some way. This sounds like a pret...

To code or not to code?
To code or not to code, that is question! Reporting from Lotus Notes Applications has never been easy. Notes developers usually need to write reams of code to create even the simplest of reports. Check this - a single-level cross-tab report takes about 2 days of code writing! Creating reports with higher functionality only means more coding and more complexities. Is there an alternative to this? You bet there is! Introducing IntelliPRINT Reporting - a cutting-edge next generation solution for Lotus Notes reporting. It is a native Lotus Notes solution that acts as an add-on lay...

How do I change an MS Access Database PAssword from VB Code
I am trying to change an existing database password from VB 6. The database is an MS Access 2000 database if this helps How do I do this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks Ali "alijsyed" <alijsyed@hotmail.com> wrote > I am trying to change an existing > database password from VB 6. > The database is an MS Access 2000 > database if this helps I'm sure this is possible if you are very knowledgeable of the internals, but AFAIK there is no documented method... if there were, what would prevent anyone who wanted to grab your data from doing the same? Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP "Larry Linson" <bouncer@localhost.not> wrote in news:SDpqe.3372$2K4.946@trnddc08: > "alijsyed" <alijsyed@hotmail.com> wrote > > > I am trying to change an existing > > database password from VB 6. > > The database is an MS Access 2000 > > database if this helps > > I'm sure this is possible if you are very knowledgeable of the > internals, but AFAIK there is no documented method... if there were, > what would prevent anyone who wanted to grab your data from doing the > same? > > Larry Linson > Microsoft Access MVP > > > I thought you could do some of this with ADOX? At the very least, assuming you know the existing Database password (as opposed to a given user password...), you should be able to do it through Automation, even in VB......

Can I extract VBA code from *.mdb file and run VB program from outside the database ?
I have a *.mdb Access database which contains VBA code with a couple of forms. Can I somehow extract all the VBA code into an external file (or multiple files) and run the VB code from there (including forms and databases accesses of cause) ? Tony ...

Where to find info/samle code to draw graph in Access Form using MS Graph
Hello All I want to draw my own pie chart in MS Access 2000 form. Could anyone tell me where I can find information or sample code on doing it? Cheers Bon Bon wrote: > Hello All > > I want to draw my own pie chart in MS Access 2000 form. Could anyone > tell me where I can find information or sample code on doing it? Have you tried the chart wizard? -- I don't check the Email account attached to this message. Send instead to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com I did use the chart wizard. But, the chart won't changed from client to client. I don't know how to set the row source to execute a stored procedure and pass the clientID to the stored procedure. Rick Brandt wrote: > Bon wrote: > > Hello All > > > > I want to draw my own pie chart in MS Access 2000 form. Could anyone > > tell me where I can find information or sample code on doing it? > > Have you tried the chart wizard? > > -- > I don't check the Email account attached > to this message. Send instead to... > RBrandt at Hunter dot com "Bon" <bonnie.tangyn@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1138286135.888059.176740@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I did use the chart wizard. But, the chart won't changed from client to > client. I don't know how to set the row source to execute a stored > procedure and pass the clientID to the stored procedure. In a report the Ma...

Control Code Folding with code
I want to quickly switch between predefined states of code folding and hopes for an undocumented trick. Is there one? - per Did you ever find out if this was possible? Thanks "per isakson" wrote in message <ippasb$iid$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I want to quickly switch between predefined states of code folding and hopes for an undocumented trick. Is there one? > - per ...

Help with use of code.InteractiveInterpreter for multiline code
I'm trying to embed a Python interpreter in a GUI I'm developing, and I'm having trouble understanding the proper use of code.InteractiveInterpreter. Here's what I'm trying: % python Python 2.3 (#1, Sep 13 2003, 00:49:11) [GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)] on darwin Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. >>> from code import InteractiveInterpreter >>> a = InteractiveInterpreter() >>> a.runsource('a = 0') False >>> a.runsource('b = 0'...

how to access the queries made and stored in MS Access thru C# Code?
hi, Does anybody know how to access the queries made and stored in MS Access thru C# Code. thanks, bjorn Yes. You will need to use classes in namespaces System.Data System.Data.OleDb A quick example of a function that returns a dataset might be (unchecked) -------------------------------- using System.Data; using System.Data.OleDb; public class MyClass { string strConnect = "enter your OLEDB connection string here"; public static DataSet ExecuteDataset(string strSQL) { try { //create a command and prepare it for execution OleDbConnection objConn = new OleDbConnection(strConnect); OleDbDataAdapter objAdapt = new OleDbDataAdapter(strSQL, objConn); //Fill the dataset DataSet DS = new DataSet(); objAdapt.Fill(DS, "DataTable"); return DS; } catch (Exception ex) { //return nothing if an error has occurred return null; } } } --------------------------------- to use the function, you might do the following: DataSet objDS = myproject.MyClass.ExecuteDataset("SELECT * FROM qryMySavedQuery"); --------------------------------- There's a lot to learn in.NET so I'm not going to try to show you everything here. If you're not familiar with .NET, you will probably want to buy yourself a book and learn about it, especially the data access portion (System.Data, otherwise known as ADO.NET) of the framework. Bill E. Hollywood, FL ...

Who uses a library, user code or client code?
I need some nomenclature help here. I was calling something "user" tasks, then noticed I already used "user" internally for something completely different. Then it occurred to me that "client" is actually a better word for code that uses a library. Hope so, i need /something/ besides "user" for library using code. kt Ken Tilton <kentilton@gmail.com> writes: >Hope so, i need /something/ besides "user" for library using code. �consumer�, (�patron�, �customer�)? "Ken Tilton" <kentilton@gmail.com> wrote in messag...

MS Access Script to import data from external mde database to mdb database
Hi, Does anyone know of a way I can write a script that imports a table from a particular .mde file? I don't seen any obvious way to do it as a macro. Any suggestions if it can be done as a macro or as a written module? My ultimate goal is to have script that clears info out of 1 table in an .mdb file, imports an identically structured table from a .mde file, runs an append query I have in place to copy the data from the imported table to the table in my.mbd file, and then delete the imported table. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes, George Hadley ghadley_00@yahoo.com With DBEngine(0)(0) .Execute "DELETE * FROM Suppliers WHERE SupplierID IN (SELECT SupplierID FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers)" .Execute "INSERT INTO Suppliers SELECT * FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers" End With Is this code I would run as a module? Yes or you could use the strings in two separate saved queries. ...

Possible to convert SAS syntax code to SPSS code?
I had a user ask me this yesterday, and I don't know if there is a easy way to do this "conversion". They have been long, long time SAS users, but need to do some equivalent work in SPSS. Brute force would be difficult as some of their programs are long and sophisticated. Thanks, Necia A. Black, Ph.D. e-mail: black@buffalo.edu 246 Computing Center Web URL:http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~black SUNY-Buffalo FAX: (716) 645-3734 Buffalo, New York 14260 Ph...

MATLAB Code for simualting the spreading using Walsh Codes
A = [-1 -1 1 1]; %Spread waveform representation of user A's signal B = [-1 1 -1 1]; %Spread waveform representation of user B's signal C = [1 1 -1 -1]; %Spread waveform representation of user C's signal % Generating the code and its timing sequence: % to generate a 4 x 4 Hadamard matrix (which is the matrix of 1's and -1's % and the columns are orthogonal): N = 4; H = hadamard(N); % Picking full second row of Hadamard matrix: cA = H(2,:); % Picking full third row of Hadamard matrix: cB = H(3,:); % Picking full fourth row of Hadamard matrix: cC = H(4,:); ...

build a code for queries that identical to the code for the tables for hiding
Hi all, i'm using a code to hide the table in the following matter: Application.CurrentDb.TableDefs("tablename").Properties("Attributes").Value = dbHiddenObject i would like to have the same code to use for hiding queries is it posible this option is raising very much the level of security for now i just hide the queries in the property but its easier to bypass with a small knolage in access "thread" <yaniv.dg@gmail.com> schreef in bericht = news:81663656-25c1-44af-ad76-2b6ce72ea1ac@i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hi all, >=20 > i'm using a code to hide the table in the following matter: > = Application.CurrentDb.TableDefs("tablename").Properties("Attributes").Val= ue > =3D dbHiddenObject > i would like to have the same code to use for hiding queries is it > posible > this option is raising very much the level of security > for now i just hide the queries in the property but its easier to > bypass with a small knolage in access I learned from this group that the dbHiddenObject property can be very = dangerous! So I guess you better *not* use that property... Why not just hide the database Window and also disable the shift key? But be careful to not lock yourself out ! Arno R "thread" <yaniv.dg@gmail.com> wrote in message news:81663656-25c1-44af-ad76-2b6ce72ea1ac@i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hi all, > > i'm using a code to hide the table in th...

MS access coding standards.
ALl. Is it possible to get MS ACCESS CODING STANDARDS? TIA The same standards apply to Access as would apply to VB6 ... it's basically the same language -- Scott McDaniel InfoTrakker Software <db2sysc@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1123572531.626074.154430@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > ALl. > > Is it possible to get MS ACCESS CODING STANDARDS? > > TIA > <db2sysc@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1123572531.626074.154430@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > ALl. > > Is it possible to get MS ACCESS CODING STANDARDS? Many of the Access self-study books have recommendations for coding conventions. There is no "standards body" to "bless" an official standard. "Have and use a naming convention" is one common recommendation. Probably the most widely-used Access naming convention is the Reddick Naming Convention. You'll find it described at Greg Reddick's website, www.xoc.net/standards/default.asp. I got a lot of hits when I googled on Reddick Naming Convention, so leading to discussions of additional standards, too. I got several hits, too, on "Access Coding Standards" Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP "Scott McDaniel" <scott@infotrakkerDELETEME.com> wrote in message news:p_OdnbumaedAK2XfRVn-1w@comcast.com... > The same standards apply to Access as would apply to VB6 ... it's > basically the same language Classic VB coding standar...

Code to display my code
Hi all, I am taking a class in PHP and thought that it would be nice to display the PHP code that generated my pages when the user clicked a link (or submit button). I have seen page that will display the underlying HTML on the page and it would be a nice touch...I think Is there a way to do this? TIA, Miki Michelle wrote: > I am taking a class in PHP and thought that it would be nice to display > the PHP code that generated my pages when the user clicked a link (or > submit button). I have seen page that will display the underlying HTML > on the page and it would be a n...

Is it possible to embed C++ codes within MATLAB codes?
Hi, I would like to learn if it is possible to run C++ functions on MATLAB. I have written a code on MATLAB however some parts are working too slow. I would like to run those parts using C++ functions and call them in the MATLAB code. I would be very glad if you help me with this problem. Best Regards, -Baran Baran Aydogan wrote: > Hi, > > I would like to learn if it is possible to run C++ functions on > MATLAB. > > I have written a code on MATLAB however some parts are working too > slow. I would like to run those parts using C++ functions and call > them in the...

Generating C code from matab code using mcc
Hi I have some code svm.m (a function by the name of svm) written in Matlab which I wanted to translate to C code. When I invoke the matlab compiler as mcc -m svm.m It generates the following "C" files svm_main.c svm_mcc_component_data.c It also generates a ctf file svm.ctf and an exe file svm.exe But I am not able to make any sense of the "C code" generated by MCC. In particular, I would like to find out what my loops, if statements, matrix multiplications etc translate into. Can anyone guide me regarding how I could convert matlab code into C code that I could m...

Code to compile a code
In a c program I have a var with the name of a file that I want to compile, how would I compile it using c code? Profetas <xuxu_18@yahoo.com> wrote: > In a c program I have a var with the name of a file that I want to compile, > how would I compile it using c code? Probably by cobbling together a string with the command to invoke the compiler, using your variable, and than feeding it to the system() function. Regards, Jens -- \ Jens Thoms Toerring ___ Jens.Toerring@physik.fu-berlin.de \__________________________ http://www.toerring....

changing code by code
hi y'all! i want to implement a few macros to help me do my coding; when calling a macro: how i can i find out in which module i'm currently in; at which position and what text i have selected. it's gotta be possible somehow, but the screen-objekt really isn't of much help. can anyone help me? thanks in advance! mike maercker I don't know about macros. You might be able to use them to run code you write. But if you are up to coding, you need to set a reference to the 'Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications Extensibility 5.3'. It provides the interface for ...

Web resources about - Possible to hide code outside the mdb and use this code? - comp.databases.ms-access

Apple's events are getting as predictable as the company. Is it time for a refresh?
"Good morning and thanks for joining us." When Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook began his company's tri-annual product launch Monday with a refrain ...

Belgian Police Name Man Suspected of Being Salah Abdeslam’s Accomplice
Najim Laachraoui was with Mr. Abdeslam, who is charged with terrorist murder over the Paris attacks, as they passed between Hungary and Austria ...

‘11.22.63’ Episode 6 Recap: Plans Fall Apart in ‘Happy Birthday, Lee Harvey Oswald’
Spoiler warning: Do not read unless you’ve seen episode six of “11.22.63,” titled “Happy Birthday, Lee Harvey Oswald.” This episode begins on ...

‘Batman v Superman’ Almost Featured The Joker and The Riddler
There is a lot going on in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and it remains to be seen exactly how the film will find time for the Man of Steel, ...

Novak Djokovic Says Some Weird Stuff About Women Tennis Players and Their 'Hormones'
On Monday, number one ranked tennis player Novak Djokovic joined the incomprehensible band of tennis-adjacent figures confidently saying some ...

South Korea: Prepared for another North Korean nuclear test
A US think-tank said recent satellite images showed activity at the North's main nuclear test site that suggest a further underground detonation ...

TV News Roundup: ‘Walking Dead’ Gets Super-Sized Finale, ‘Bloodline’ Sets Season 2 Premiere Date
Netflix’s “Bloodline” sets a Season 2 premiere date; “The Walking Dead” will get an extra-long Season 6 finale; “The Talk” will once again announce ...

‘RRS Boaty McBoatface’: NERC Research Vessel Could End Up With A Joke Name
“RRS Boaty McBoatface” may not be a very regal sounding name for a Royal Research Ship, but if officials at the Natural Environment Research ...

Got An Older Kindle? Update Your Device By March 22 Or It Won’t Connect To The Internet
Unless you’re happy reading the material that’s on your older Kindle right now forever and ever, you’ll want to heed Amazon’s advice, and quick: ...

Double dissolution election on July 2 likely due to crossbench resistance to industrial relations bills ...
Crossbench senators are resisting pressure to pass the Government's bills, increasing the chances of a July election.