problem accessing access 97 database through odbc on windows 2003 sp1

Hello,

We have a legacy application which relies on an Access 97 database
(upgrading is  nog an option atm). As we are setting up a new server
(Windows 2003), we started experiencing problems running that
application after installing all required updates (Windows, Office, ..)
It did work before updating, with a basic OS + application
installation. Somewhere an update dit break things, but we do not know
which one.

Now for the problem. When starting the application, following error is
returned:

---------------------------
ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Login Failed
---------------------------
Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your
application.
---------------------------
OK   Cancel
---------------------------

OK let's you choose another mdb (not an option) and CANCEL fails the
app, which  is the problem :-)

Current versions:
* JET version: 4.0.6305.00 - not sure which this is, it's more recent
than JET 4 SP8 which is the lates I can download separately.
* Office 2000 SR1 with latest updates
* MDAC 2.8 SP2 ON WINDOWS SERVER 2003 SP1 (2.82)(ComponentChecker 2.0)

What we tried so far, to no good:
* http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q310804
* http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310937
* downgrading MDAC, which is seems useless (has no effects on file
versions + no relation to odbc?)
* downgrading JET 4 (by manually replacing odbcjt32.dll in system32 and
system32/dllcache)
* Googled to death on the matter, but no others solutions were brought
up.

Hopefully someone can help us out, we're migrating to Windows 2003
Terminal services, and this application is mission-critical.

thx,

Serge

0
vginders (1)

Access 97 to Access 2003 conversion problem !
I have just been asked to port an Access 97 app from an old Pentium 3 to a new Pentium Core-2-Duo PC. On the new PC, Office 2003 is installed. On opening the database, Access provided me with an option to convert the database which I did. However, there are a couple of small issues. For one, there were a couple of conversion errors which it stored in a conversion errors table (saying it could not find the field "description"). Secondly, and this is my main problem ... When I click on a button in the old Acc97 app it used to work fine, however in Acc2003 it says "The command or action 'SaveRecord' isn't available now". Here is the sub where it occurs: Private Sub Cash_RV_Preview_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Cash_RV_Preview_Click [RVHAMT] = [Receipt Voucher Sub Form].[Form]![PAYABLE AMT] [RVHDIS] = [Receipt Voucher Sub Form].[Form]![TOTAL DISCOUNT] DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70 Dim stDocName As String stDocName = "Receipt Voucher Printing Cash" DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview Exit_Cash_RV_Preview_Click: Exit Sub Err_Cash_RV_Preview_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_Cash_RV_Preview_Click End Sub On checking the Menu Bar I saw the action "Save Record Shift+Enter" is grayed out & not available in the Acc2003 app. However, when checking it under Access 97 on the other PC, the option Save Record is available. Could someon...

Access 97 .mdws with Access XP databases
I'm working at a company that is upgrading from Access 97 to 2002. We have a number of '97 databases that are .mdw secured, but in no case has anyone saved the original PIDs and SIDs used to create the security files and accounts. I'm wondering about the possibility of continuing to use the '97 .mdws with the converted 2002 databases. Are there side effects? I have heard that '97 .mdws sometime bloat when used with Access 2K databases. Any info would be appreciated. "brucedodds2" <bruce.dodds@fmglobal.com> wrote in news:1130179432.172463.288340@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com: > I'm wondering about the possibility of continuing to use the '97 > .mdws with the converted 2002 databases. Are there side effects? > I have heard that '97 .mdws sometime bloat when used with Access > 2K databases. I haven't seen that, but I've only used that setup very occasionally. Keep in mind that A2K+ MDWs bloat a lot more than A97 ones, so it may be an issue that only looks significant on the surface. -- David W. Fenton http://www.bway.net/~dfenton dfenton at bway dot net http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc brucedodds2 <bruce.dodds@fmglobal.com> typed: : I'm working at a company that is upgrading from Access 97 to 2002. We : have a number of '97 databases that are .mdw secured, but in no case : has anyone saved the original PIDs and SIDs used to create the : security file...

View Access 2003 database in Access 2000
How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? rahulghai12@gmail.com wrote: > How can i view in Access 2000 a mdb created in Access 2003? > look here http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HP051863711033.aspx ...

Access 97 to Access 2003
My client has an Access 97 app which contains details (fields) some in English and some in Arabic. On opening the database with Access 2003 (which it offers to convert & I accept), the data in the tables in English is fine ... but the fields containing Arabic are filled with some garbage & spurious characters. I've encountered this with 2 different clients with the same problem ! Does anyone know what the problem is and how to provide a workaround ? And .. oh yes !! Both, the Access 97 & Access 2003 versions were Arabic enabled. Best Rgds, Prakash. If you create a blank A2003 database and import the tables from A97 do you see the same problems? What about linking from A2003 to A97? Just trying to get an idea of the scope - convert can sometimes make assumptions that import or link won't. Good luck, Tim On Jun 10, 4:58=A0am, prakashwadhw...@gmail.com wrote: > My client has an Access 97 app which contains details (fields) some in > English and some in Arabic. > > On opening the database with Access 2003 (which it offers to convert & > I accept), the data in the tables in English is fine ... but the > fields containing Arabic are filled with some garbage & spurious > characters. > > I've encountered this with 2 different clients with the same problem ! > > Does anyone know what the problem is and how to provide a workaround ? > > And .. oh yes !! =A0Both, the Access 97 & Access 2003 versions w...

Problem with MS Access 97 database security
All, I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access 97 database applications that support production and order fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following problems: 1) no one can make modifications to the database except by logging in using the database creator's userid and password on the workstation used by that person, who has of course left the company. Anyone else who tries to access the database, even the system administrator, gets the message "You dont have the nececssary permissions to use the xxxxxxxxx object.Have your system administrator or the person who created the object establish the appropriate permissions for you." 2) We logged in and "added" another person with the same permissions as the creator for all database objects, except we did not change the database object "ownerships", and the problem still persists. I suspect that the ownerships are the problem. Is this so? 3) I dont know anything about the restriction to a particular machine. Can anyone enlighten me on this issue? TIA JL <jliebman@kjlsoftware.com> wrote in message news:1176986756.146353.213270@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > All, > > I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access > 97 database applications that support production and order > fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following > problems: > > 1) no one can make modifications ...

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

Access 97 or Access 2003
Hi everybody I want to use an Access database in a Visual Basic 6 program. Question: -Should I use Access 97 or Access 2003? Thank's On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:28:20 -0400, "Sylmena" <sylmena1@hotmail.com> wrote: > I want to use an Access database in a Visual Basic 6 program. > >Question: >-Should I use Access 97 or Access 2003? If you use MS Access '97, more people will be able to access your data. Access '97 doesn't use Unicode - a space/speed advantage if you are not storing Russian or a language other than English. I can't think ...

Access 97 to Access 2003
Am about to upgrade several machines running access 97 to new boxes with access 2003. Got a massive access front end DB with a SQL back end. Guess I will have to "upgrade" that '97 front. Anyone have any advice or things to watch out for? Any VBA hasles? Horror stories?? Hope it goes seamlessly... Got enough headaches. Hi Tom. This link contains our experience with upgrading Access. It does not address the SQL Server aspects, but does describe Setup, Conversion, and Usability issues: Converting from Access 97 to 2000, 2002 or 2003 at: http://members.iinet.net.au...

Access 97 to Access 2003 conversion problem with Reports !
I just converted an Access 97 application to Access 2003 & most things work fine but in approximately 12 to 15 reports I have noticed that although the page orientation is landscape, the preview and print portrays it as slightly wider than portrait. I have combed through all the settings, high and low - no problems. What's really weird though is that on some PC's eg another PC of mine with WIn-XP Media Edition SP2 & Office 2003 it shows up fine. Also on my Laptop Vista + Off 2003 it's ok. However on 3 to 4 other PC's XP-Pro + Office 2003 this problem occurs. I've applied all the Office Service Packs upto SP3 ... still no result. The only thing I can think off is that on both my Win-XP Media Centre PC & Laptop ... I don't have any printers installed which defaults to MS off document writer or FAX as my default printer. OK ... I just did some testing ... when I change the default printer to : MS office document image writer, the page now shows perfectly in preview. However when I change the default printer to any other printer eg. Epson dot matrix of HP inkjet, the page width shows up weirdly. I did manually create a fresh report & copy/pasted object by object from 1 report to another. That did work. But, if i copied an entire section of a report ... then too the problem occurs. Does any of this make any sense ? Has anyone ever faced this ? Best Rgds, Prakash. ...

Convert Access 2003 database file to Access 2010
How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access 2010 file format? According to Microsoft (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the print options only. How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to display? My 2002-2003 Access database file has 3 tables, 19 queries, 5 forms, and 16 reports. After I open the file up it gives the "Security Warning: Soame active content has been disabled. Click for more details." then there is a button "Enable Content". Before and after I click the "Enable Button" the file tab only has print options available. Thank you for your help, jfcby jfcby <jamesfc30@gmail.com> wrote in news:f4dc9993-afa3-4fed-8180-22786eaa7f83@l14g2000yql.googlegroups.co m: > How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access > 2010 file format? > > According to Microsoft > (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ > convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? > queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is > possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the > print options only. > > How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to > display? ...

Problem with MS Access 97 database security #2
[...]

Accessing Access

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to > access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to > log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way > around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. > Thanks Mike > We have just started this database so any changes would be better done > sooner. It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each PC. You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example. Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access reverts to single-user only. -- regards, Br@dley Br@dley wrote:...

Web resources about - problem accessing access 97 database through odbc on windows 2003 sp1 - comp.databases.ms-access

Accessing the Future Fund a sensible proposal, says super expert Daryl Dixon
As portfolios go, the Future Fund's asset allocation is concentrated in higher-risk investment, including equities and alternative assets.

Accessing my Super
I'm 57 - can I access my super?

Australia, US accessing Indonesian telephone data, leaked documents show
Newly disclosed documents from former US intelligence contractor Edward Snowden have revealed that Australian intelligence efforts against Indonesia ...

Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke detained at Melbourne Airport, accuses Customs officials of accessing ...
Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke has accused Customs officials of accessing hundreds of patients' sensitive records on his laptop after detaining ...