Problem concatenating memo fields in MS access database

I have an access database form where I have a button that is supposed
to be appending the contents of 1 memo field to another is behaving
non-predictably. The code is:

  Me![ToDo] = Me![ToDo] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies1] &
Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies2]
    Me![Meds] = Me![MedsEntered] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![IVF] &
Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Diet]
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, ,
acMenuVer70

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Could there be a casting problem?
(I just want to append the text of 1 field to another field - am I
actually assigning objects this way?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GH
ghadley_00@yahoo.com

0
ghadley_00 (35)

I have managed this in a report without the $ sign
e.g.
=[FirstName] & " " & [lastname] & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & IIf([job title] Is Not
Null,[job title] & Chr(13) & Chr(10),"")

It does not use memo fields but I would think they would work OK?

James
<ghadley_00@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have an access database form where I have a button that is supposed
> to be appending the contents of 1 memo field to another is behaving
> non-predictably. The code is:
>
>  Me![ToDo] = Me![ToDo] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies1] &
> Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies2]
>    Me![Meds] = Me![MedsEntered] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![IVF] &
> Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Diet]
>    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, ,
> acMenuVer70
>
> Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Could there be a casting problem?
> (I just want to append the text of 1 field to another field - am I
> actually assigning objects this way?)
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> GH
> ghadley_00@yahoo.com

0
j.b.grant (5)
11/9/2005 12:21:03 PM
ghadley_00@yahoo.com wrote in

> I have an access database form where I have a button that is
> supposed to be appending the contents of 1 memo field to another
> is behaving non-predictably. The code is:
>
>   Me![ToDo] = Me![ToDo] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies1] &
> Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies2]
>     Me![Meds] = Me![MedsEntered] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![IVF]
>     &
> Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Diet]
>     DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, ,
> acMenuVer70
>
> Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Could there be a casting
> problem? (I just want to append the text of 1 field to another
> field - am I actually assigning objects this way?)

What error are you getting?

Do the controls displaying the memo data have the same names as the
underlying memo fields that they display? If so, then you've got an
ambiguity that could cause a problem, since Access may be confused
about whether you are referring to the control or the field in the
record behind the form.

dfenton at bway dot net                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc
0
dXXXfenton (2542)
11/10/2005 4:54:05 AM
Also, you may want to change your Chr(10) & Chr(13)  commands to just "
& vbCrLf " for Carriage Return and Line Feed.
I would have written it:
Me!ToDo = Me!ToDo & vbCrLf & Me!Studies1 & vbCrLf & Me!Studies2
Me!Meds = Me!MedsEntered & vbCrLf & Me!IVF & vbCrLf & Me!Diet
DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord,, acMenuVer70
Ted

0
bear999 (35)
11/10/2005 4:50:16 PM
"Ted" <bear999@gmail.com> wrote in

> Also, you may want to change your Chr(10) & Chr(13)  commands to
> just " & vbCrLf " for Carriage Return and Line Feed.
> I would have written it:
> Me!ToDo = Me!ToDo & vbCrLf & Me!Studies1 & vbCrLf & Me!Studies2
> Me!Meds = Me!MedsEntered & vbCrLf & Me!IVF & vbCrLf & Me!Diet
> DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord,,
> acMenuVer7

I'd replace the DoMenuItem with:

  Me.Dirty = False

Menus are for people, not for code.

dfenton at bway dot net                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc
0
dXXXfenton (2542)

Problem with MS Access Database
------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C56A17.539605A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I'm using wxWidgets now a long time for designig my applications. This weekend I tried first to use the Database classes, but I've got a problem with them... I've got an Microsoft Access Datenbase, with two tables: Orte(ID, Staat, Name, and so on) PLZOrte(ID, PLZ) This tables are set into a relationship. The field ID ist the primary key in Orte and set up the relation. Now I'd like to do a query to this database in my...

Problem with MS Access 97 database security
All, I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access 97 database applications that support production and order fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following problems: 1) no one can make modifications to the database except by logging in using the database creator's userid and password on the workstation used by that person, who has of course left the company. Anyone else who tries to access the database, even the system administrator, gets the message "You dont have the nececssary permissions to use the xxxxxxxxx object.Have your system administrator or the person who created the object establish the appropriate permissions for you." 2) We logged in and "added" another person with the same permissions as the creator for all database objects, except we did not change the database object "ownerships", and the problem still persists. I suspect that the ownerships are the problem. Is this so? 3) I dont know anything about the restriction to a particular machine. Can anyone enlighten me on this issue? TIA JL <jliebman@kjlsoftware.com> wrote in message news:1176986756.146353.213270@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > All, > > I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access > 97 database applications that support production and order > fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following > problems: > > 1) no one can make modifications ...

MS Access Script to import data from external mde database to mdb database
Hi, Does anyone know of a way I can write a script that imports a table from a particular .mde file? I don't seen any obvious way to do it as a macro. Any suggestions if it can be done as a macro or as a written module? My ultimate goal is to have script that clears info out of 1 table in an .mdb file, imports an identically structured table from a .mde file, runs an append query I have in place to copy the data from the imported table to the table in my.mbd file, and then delete the imported table. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes, George Hadley ghadley_00@yahoo.com With DBEngine(0)(0) .Execute "DELETE * FROM Suppliers WHERE SupplierID IN (SELECT SupplierID FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers)" .Execute "INSERT INTO Suppliers SELECT * FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers" End With Is this code I would run as a module? Yes or you could use the strings in two separate saved queries. ...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

databases.ms-access
hi for fun masti, fashion, articles,mobiles, cars etc plz visit these sites http://www.familypk.com http://www.enttwist.com thanks ...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

Problem with MS Access 97 database security #2
[...]

Web resources about - Problem concatenating memo fields in MS access database - comp.databases.ms-access