Problem with MS Access 97 database security

All,

I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access
97 database applications that support production and order
fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following
problems:

1) no one can make modifications to the database except by logging in
using the database creator's userid and password on the workstation
used by that person, who has of course left the company. Anyone else
who tries to access the database, even the system administrator, gets
the message "You dont have the nececssary permissions to use the
xxxxxxxxx object.Have your system administrator or the person who
created the object establish the appropriate permissions for you."

2) We logged in and "added" another person with the same permissions
as the creator for all database objects, except we did not change the
database object "ownerships", and the problem still persists. I
suspect that the ownerships are the problem. Is this so?

3) I dont know anything about the restriction to a particular machine.
Can anyone enlighten me on this issue?

TIA

JL

0
jliebman (4)

<jliebman@kjlsoftware.com> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access
> 97 database applications that support production and order
> fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following
> problems:
>
> 1) no one can make modifications to the database except by logging in
> using the database creator's userid and password on the workstation
> used by that person, who has of course left the company. Anyone else
> who tries to access the database, even the system administrator, gets
> the message "You dont have the nececssary permissions to use the
> xxxxxxxxx object.Have your system administrator or the person who
> created the object establish the appropriate permissions for you."
>
> 2) We logged in and "added" another person with the same permissions
> as the creator for all database objects, except we did not change the
> database object "ownerships", and the problem still persists. I
> suspect that the ownerships are the problem. Is this so?
>
> 3) I dont know anything about the restriction to a particular machine.
> Can anyone enlighten me on this issue?
>
> TIA
>
> JL

It sounds like the workgroup file (*.mdw) is on that user's PC.  As a
general rule of thumb I don't give accounts the names of individuals but of
functions, eg "developer" could be the admin name, a member of the Admins
group.

Things to (consider) do(ing):

1 - MAKE A BACKUP.

2 - Log in on the original developer's account.  Create a generic
"developer" account and give it full permissions to everything including the
database object.

3 - Log in on the new account and create a new blank database.  Import all
of the objects from the "old" database.  The new account should be the
owner.  You should then be able to make design changes with this account.

4 - Put the workgroup file on a server where all users can access it.

5 - Split the db and put the back end in the same location as the workgroup
file.  Give all users their own local front end copy linked to the back end.

6 - Have the users launch the app using a desktop shortcut using the
"/wrkgrp" command line switch.  That way they will not be prompted for a
password for "unsecured" apps.

I think that's all ... hope it helps.

Keith.
www.keithwilby.com

0
here9 (1031)

Problem with MS Access 97 database security #2
[...]

Problem with MS Access Database
------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C56A17.539605A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I'm using wxWidgets now a long time for designig my applications. This weekend I tried first to use the Database classes, but I've got a problem with them... I've got an Microsoft Access Datenbase, with two tables: Orte(ID, Staat, Name, and so on) PLZOrte(ID, PLZ) This tables are set into a relationship. The field ID ist the primary key in Orte and set up the relation. Now I'd like to do a query to this database in my...

problem accessing access 97 database through odbc on windows 2003 sp1
Hello, We have a legacy application which relies on an Access 97 database (upgrading is nog an option atm). As we are setting up a new server (Windows 2003), we started experiencing problems running that application after installing all required updates (Windows, Office, ..) It did work before updating, with a basic OS + application installation. Somewhere an update dit break things, but we do not know which one. Now for the problem. When starting the application, following error is returned: --------------------------- ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Login Failed ---------------------------...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

databases.ms-access
hi for fun masti, fashion, articles,mobiles, cars etc plz visit these sites http://www.familypk.com http://www.enttwist.com thanks ...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

Web resources about - Problem with MS Access 97 database security - comp.databases.ms-access