Problem with MS Access

I have a large database running on a Dell Server.  There are aprox 10
users on the network accessing the database.  I keep getting error
messages saying that a user on the network has the file open and
locked under "Admin".  as far as I am concerned the admin has a
password and all users are NOT accesing the database with Admin
rights.  Why does the database become locked on a irregular basis (it
is not dependent on machine or user)  and how can I repvent it
happening.  It is causing me a right headache as I have to keep
getting everyone to close the database so i can reboot the server and
then repair the file.

Access security is always "on" and the default login is the Admin user.

Split the multiuser database into front-end (queries, forms, reports,
macros, modules, and any infrequently-changed local lookup tables) and back
end (data, tables, and relationships). Give each user a copy of the front
end, and link the tables in the shared back end.

Although you may not have yet encountered a problem, having multiple users
logged in to the same front-end or monolithic database (as it seems yours
may be) significantly increases the probability of corruption.

For an introductory overview of multiuser, download the presentation I did
for my user group on that subject from http://appdevissues.tripod.com. For
the best collection of links and info on the subject, visit MVP Tony Toews'
site http://www.granite.ab.ca.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

"Darren Rhodes" <darren_rhodes@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have a large database running on a Dell Server.  There are aprox 10
> users on the network accessing the database.  I keep getting error
> messages saying that a user on the network has the file open and
> locked under "Admin".  as far as I am concerned the admin has a
> password and all users are NOT accesing the database with Admin
> rights.  Why does the database become locked on a irregular basis (it
> is not dependent on machine or user)  and how can I repvent it
> happening.  It is causing me a right headache as I have to keep
> getting everyone to close the database so i can reboot the server and
> then repair the file.

0
bouncer (4168)

Ms. Access database problem
Hello, I have a MS. Access database in XP. When I open the database in design view, users will get an error message & cannot even open the database. Is there any way to solve this problem? Thanks for your help in advance. Orchid What error message? Did you try the standard compact/repair routine? Thanks for your reply! The error message is: "The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin' on machine 'Name' that prevents it from being opened or locked." Yeah, I tried the standard compact/repair routine, (which is under Tool, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair Database...)but still got the same error message. "Orchid" <yhtong86@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<1112194542.469115.105910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>... > Thanks for your reply! > The error message is: "The database has been placed in a state by user > 'Admin' on machine 'Name' that prevents it from being opened or > locked." > > Yeah, I tried the standard compact/repair routine, (which is under > Tool, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair Database...)but still got > the same error message. try deleting the *.ldb file on the machine that has it opened or locked. Orchid wrote: > Hello, > I have a MS. Access database in XP. When I open the database in design > view, users will get an error message & cannot even open the database. > Is there any way to solve this problem?...

Problem with MS Access Database
------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C56A17.539605A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I'm using wxWidgets now a long time for designig my applications. This weekend I tried first to use the Database classes, but I've got a problem with them... I've got an Microsoft Access Datenbase, with two tables: Orte(ID, Staat, Name, and so on) PLZOrte(ID, PLZ) This tables are set into a relationship. The field ID ist the primary key in Orte and set up the relation. Now I'd like to do a query to this database in my...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work > in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Allen Browne has an excellent calendar control at http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Thanks for the link...

Does MS Access db have problems with multiple users access it at once?
I am developing an Access db which will be used by multiple users. My questions are: Does MS Access have problems with multiple users accessing the db at once? If yes, what is your solution to this problem? I was informed that Access is not a good application for multiple users accessing it at once. Thank you for your assistance to this issue of mine. Will the users just be reading, or will multiple users be writing at the same time? I've seen data corruption in older (Access '97) databases with large numbers of users reading and writing. I haven't seen any corruption where...

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); ----------------------------------- The error message I got is: "Unknown connection option in connection string: driver." for str_1 and " Unknown connection option in connection string: provider." for str_2 So I am wondering, where is the problem? Is it because my connection string for MS Access is specified wrongly? Or is it because I cannot use SqlHelper to access the MS Access database? ( I have used SqlHelper class to access the MS SQL server, and it works) Your help will be greatly appreciated. James James wrote: > Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine > in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. > > But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application > Blocks to access the database. > > I have tried 2 possible connection strings. > > ----------------------------------------- > ...

Problem with MS Access 97 database security
All, I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access 97 database applications that support production and order fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following problems: 1) no one can make modifications to the database except by logging in using the database creator's userid and password on the workstation used by that person, who has of course left the company. Anyone else who tries to access the database, even the system administrator, gets the message "You dont have the nececssary permissions to use the xxxxxxxxx object.Have your system administrator or the person who created the object establish the appropriate permissions for you." 2) We logged in and "added" another person with the same permissions as the creator for all database objects, except we did not change the database object "ownerships", and the problem still persists. I suspect that the ownerships are the problem. Is this so? 3) I dont know anything about the restriction to a particular machine. Can anyone enlighten me on this issue? TIA JL <jliebman@kjlsoftware.com> wrote in message news:1176986756.146353.213270@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > All, > > I recently started at a company that has a number of older MS Access > 97 database applications that support production and order > fulfillment. There is one database with which I have the following > problems: > > 1) no one can make modifications ...

How to access MS Access from Perl?

Problem with MS Access 97 database security #2
[...]

Problem concatenating memo fields in MS access database
I have an access database form where I have a button that is supposed to be appending the contents of 1 memo field to another is behaving non-predictably. The code is: Me![ToDo] = Me![ToDo] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies1] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies2] Me![Meds] = Me![MedsEntered] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![IVF] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Diet] DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70 Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Could there be a casting problem? (I just want to append the text of 1 field to another field - am I actually assigning objects this way?) Any help would be greatly appreciated. GH ghadley_00@yahoo.com I have managed this in a report without the $ sign e.g. =[FirstName] & " " & [lastname] & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & IIf([job title] Is Not Null,[job title] & Chr(13) & Chr(10),"") It does not use memo fields but I would think they would work OK? James <ghadley_00@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1131535433.245165.221450@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I have an access database form where I have a button that is supposed > to be appending the contents of 1 memo field to another is behaving > non-predictably. The code is: > > Me![ToDo] = Me![ToDo] & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies1] & > Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & Me![Studies2] > Me![Meds] = Me![MedsEnter...

Web resources about - Problem with MS Access - comp.databases.ms-access

China has a $777 billion problem with unpaid bills
Not since 1999 have China's companies had so much trouble getting customers to actually pay for what they've bought.

China has a $777 billion problem with unpaid bills
Not since 1999 have China's companies had so much trouble getting customers to actually pay for what they've bought.

China has a $777 billion problem with unpaid bills
Not since 1999 have China's companies had so much trouble getting customers to actually pay for what they've bought.

John Oliver: All Of The Legal, Economic, And Practical Problems With Donald Trump’s Wall
About the Trump wall. There are just a few problems with that...

Zero rates may be the problem stopping inflation
US Federal Reserve voting member James Bullard suggested that zero interest rate policy might be preventing much-needed inflation returning. ...

Mini-review: tvOS 9.2 fixes all the Apple TV’s biggest problems
... the work of building the Apple TV into a platform rather than just a streaming box. That platform mostly seems solid, and its biggest problems ...

Things I Didn’t Know Were Problems
Pigeons and tawny crazy ants. Who knew? Here’s something that might be a problem: Would you be alarmed if your smallish freshwater fish tank ...

Leak suggests iPhone 7 might actually address the iPhone’s biggest problem
... and a brand new report brings us more information suggesting that Apple's new iPhone 7 might actually address the iPhone lineup's biggest problem. ...

Despite a "Terror Recruitment Problem", Obama Continues Importing Nearly 1,000 Somalis Each Month
... in Somalia. Others have been convicted of sending material support to overseas terrorist organizations... ...The [radicalization] problem has ...