Problem with temporary table in Access project

Hi,

I'm developing an application with an Access Project 2000 (ADP) front-
end and a SQL Server 2000 back-end. I've created a temporary table
thrugh ADO code

then i want to use the result table (e.g. #Emp ) as a RecordSource
of Report.

but Unfortunately, the report could not recognize existence of
this table.

I've also tried prefixing #Emp with 'tempdb', also not work

Any help or ideas would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you,

Thank you,

Ridwan

"ridwan" <member36104@dbforums.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>

> I'm developing an application with an Access Project 2000 (ADP) front-
> end and a SQL Server 2000 back-end. I've created a temporary table
> thrugh ADO code
>
> then i want to use the result table (e.g. #Emp ) as a RecordSource
> of Report.
>
> but Unfortunately, the report could not recognize existence of
> this table.
>
> I've also tried prefixing #Emp with 'tempdb', also not work
>

> Any help or ideas would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you,

Local temp tables are only visible to the connection that created them, so
you need to create and populate the table, and retrieve the resultset in a
single procedure.

Make sure you put SET NOCOUNT ON at the start of the procedure.

If you still have problems - post the SQL

In n ADP, each time you reference CurrentProject.Connection, you actually get
a new connection to the database.  They are separate from each other, and
separate from the connection used automatically by Access for forms and reports.
This limits the ability of an ADP application to sca well, but it also keeps
you from being able to open a temporary table in code, then reference it by
name in a form's recordsource.

The only answer I've come up with is to open a recordset to the table in code,
and set the form's Recordset property to that recordset.  That seems to work
fine, though.  Just make sure your code also holds a reference to the connection
object used by the recordset until after the form is done with it.

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:21:44 -0400, ridwan <member36104@dbforums.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>

>I'm developing an application with an Access Project 2000 (ADP) front-
>end and a SQL Server 2000 back-end. I've created a temporary table
>thrugh ADO code
>
>then i want to use the result table (e.g. #Emp ) as a RecordSource
>of Report.
>
>but Unfortunately, the report could not recognize existence of
>this table.
>
>I've also tried prefixing #Emp with 'tempdb', also not work
>

>Any help or ideas would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you,
>

>Thank you,
>

>Ridwan

0
nospam48 (2784)
8/18/2003 2:07:08 PM
"Steve Jorgensen" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> In n ADP, each time you reference CurrentProject.Connection, you actually
get
> a new connection to the database.  They are separate from each other, and
> separate from the connection used automatically by Access for forms and
reports.
> This limits the ability of an ADP application to sca well, but it also
keeps
> you from being able to open a temporary table in code, then reference it
by
> name in a form's recordsource.

You can also wrap the whole thing in a stored procedure and bind the form to
the procedure.

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:19:30 -0400, "John Winterbottom" <john_winterbottom@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Steve Jorgensen" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> In n ADP, each time you reference CurrentProject.Connection, you actually
>get
>> a new connection to the database.  They are separate from each other, and
>> separate from the connection used automatically by Access for forms and
>reports.
>> This limits the ability of an ADP application to sca well, but it also
>keeps
>> you from being able to open a temporary table in code, then reference it
>by
>> name in a form's recordsource.
>>

>You can also wrap the whole thing in a stored procedure and bind the form to
>the procedure.

Well, that works if you only need a viewable snapshot of the temporary table's
data.  A temporary table created within a stored procedure is destroyed when the
procedure finishes, so the data is sent back to the form, but the object it's
bound to has disappeared.
0
nospam48 (2784)
8/18/2003 3:02:07 PM
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:19:30 -0400, "John Winterbottom"
<john_winterbottom@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >"Steve Jorgensen" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> >> In n ADP, each time you reference CurrentProject.Connection, you
actually
> >get
> >> a new connection to the database.  They are separate from each other,
and
> >> separate from the connection used automatically by Access for forms and
> >reports.
> >> This limits the ability of an ADP application to sca well, but it also
> >keeps
> >> you from being able to open a temporary table in code, then reference
it
> >by
> >> name in a form's recordsource.
> >>

> >You can also wrap the whole thing in a stored procedure and bind the form
> >the procedure.
>
> Well, that works if you only need a viewable snapshot of the temporary
table's
> data.  A temporary table created within a stored procedure is destroyed
when the
> procedure finishes, so the data is sent back to the form, but the object
it's
> bound to has disappeared.

True.  There are a couple of other options though, I'm sure you know these
already.

1. Use a permamanent table with a SPID column
2. Use a global temp table with a name that is unique to connection creating
it.

Both of these have problems of course. Option 1 can get slow if you have
many users - not to mention taking up lots of disk space. Option 2 relies on
dynamic sql which has it's own set of problems. And both are pretty clumsy.

As a side note, SQL Server 2000 supports table variables which have some
advantages over local temporary tables in terms of performance. They have
the same scope though, so they don't help in this case.

With thanks to all who replied, I'm back, still trying to get an
answer to my

original problem.

i have the following notes :

to the answer of Mr.Steve Jorgensen:

I agree with your concept, but for your suggestion :

to open a recordset to the table in code, and set the form's recordset
preperty to that recordset,

in VB it works, but in Access i failed to assign a recordset to the
report, it will accept only text,  that is :

    Set Me.RecordSource = MyRS   ..... not work ( invalid use of
    property )

    Me.RecordSource = "select * from Emp"   ...........  Works

----- >> any one have suggestion <<------

but ,

can we use CurrentProject.Connection to Create the Temp table, then use
it as a RecordSource of the Report ( and how ).

----- >> any one have suggestion <<------

-------------------------------

to the answer of Mr.John Winterbottom.

your suggestion is good, currently i am using global temp tables along
with the user name ,station name,

but still loocking to use local temp tables

If someone could point me in this direction , I would greatly
appreciate it.

Thank you,

Ridwan

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 03:47:47 -0400, ridwan <member36104@dbforums.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>

>With thanks to all who replied, I'm back, still trying to get an
>answer to my
>
>original problem.
>
>i have the following notes :
>
>to the answer of Mr.Steve Jorgensen:
>
>I agree with your concept, but for your suggestion :
>
>to open a recordset to the table in code, and set the form's recordset
>preperty to that recordset,
>
>in VB it works, but in Access i failed to assign a recordset to the
>report, it will accept only text,  that is :

Well, 2 things.

1. I said the Recordset property, not the RecordSource property.  Very
different things.
2. I didn't read your post well enough.  You said a report, not a form.
I know it works with forms, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with
reports.  Sorry about that.

>    Set Me.RecordSource = MyRS   ..... not work ( invalid use of
>    property )
>
>    Me.RecordSource = "select * from Emp"   ...........  Works
>
>----- >> any one have suggestion <<------
>
>but ,
>
>can we use CurrentProject.Connection to Create the Temp table, then use
>it as a RecordSource of the Report ( and how ).

As I was trying to say before, CurrentProject.Connection is not a variable,
it's a function, and it returns a new and separate connection each time
you call it, so a temporary table createdd in a connection derived from
CurrentProject.Connection will not be available on any form or report.

As an asside, since each call to CurrentProject.Connection returns a new
conneciton, you should never use it directly in code as if it were a variable,
but always use it to assign a connection variable, and use that.  If you
don't, you won't even be able to read the errors collection after an error
is raised.

After all that, what I recommend is a batch table.  Make a table to hold
the temporary result (or just IDs of result records) and include a batch
ID in the primary key.  Use a filter on the batch ID to get just the
results you want in the report, and finally, delete the batch records
when the report is closed.  You might also need a periodic clean-up
procedure to empty the batch table of any junk left over from abnormal
shut-downs.
0
nospam48 (2784)
8/19/2003 4:09:45 PM
ridwan <member36104@dbforums.com> wrote in news:3259253.1061279267
@dbforums.com:

> With thanks to all who replied, I'm back, still trying to get an
> answer to my original problem.

I think one cannot set a Report's recordset in Access 2000, as one can in
Access XP.
I believe you want to do this in order to use a local table.

I suggest the following in order to accomplish that:

1. Create the local table.
2. In the MDB or ADP where the local table exists, create the report that
you want.
3. In the MDB or ADP where the local table exists, create a public sub thet
opens the report.
4. In the main ADP set a reference to the local MDB/ADP where the table,
the report and the public sub reside.
5. From the main ADP call the public sub (which opens the report) from the
referenced MDB/ADP. The report should open in the main ADP.

I have tested this many times with forms, but only once with a report. It
seemed to work successfully. If you decide to try this, perhaps you will
let us know how it worked for you.

--
Lyle

0
lylefair1 (164)
8/21/2003 1:53:06 AM
Mr(s)/ Lyle

Sorry for that, but

I think that you are talking about some thing deferent,

MS SQL Temp Tables is located in deferent Database

Unlike MDB which has no relation to MS SQL by itself.

and once you are mixing between them , this means that

you are talking about other thing.

or may be i did not understand you.

Thank you any way.

Ridwan

Problems accessing a MySQL database via an Access linked table
Hello In order to perform a hetrogeneous join (I think that's what they're called) between MySQL and another database, I've created an Access database containing linked tables from each datasource. I create the linked tables without any problems, clicking on "save password" before selecting the desired tables. I can then access both tables fine from within the Access GUI. The problem starts when I then try to access this data from my ASP.NET web application - classic ASP works fine but .NET gives me... ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] ODBC--connection to 'MyDSN' failed. From then on, the Access database remains locked (.LDB file in the same directory) and I get a similar error when I run my ASP page, which previously worked. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Regards James Bird Web Manager The Dolls House Emporium Tudor Models Ltd james.bird@dollshouse.com www.dollshouse.com Tel: 01773 514405 Fax: 01773 513772 This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. No liability is accepted for the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in this email. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender that you have received it in error, and do not use, distribute, print or copy it. Can you supply your code? Also, can you successfully hit the source databases wthout using the middle datab...

Accessing Oracle Tables from MS Access
How difficult is this? I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to work. I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP. What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work: select id from emp I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point. Any help in how to get this done, or pointing me in the right direction of a book or website, would be greatly appreciated! berj Yes, I do have the table links working. But I did want to run the select for such things as grabbing the next number off of a sequence. As in: select test.nextval from dual; Where "test" is the name of an Oracle sequence. berj "Steve Jorgensen" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:bp0821lsd8tt5ec5jhvtgbt46fdvb2t3dt@4ax.com... > The easiest way is to link the table in Access, then query the link. Is that > how you're trying to do it? > > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:25:36 -0800, "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote: > > >How difficult is this? I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to > >work. > > > >I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP. > > > > > >What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work: > > > >select id from emp > > > > > >I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point. > > > > > >Any help in how to get this done, or pointing ...

MS Access VBA making multiple tables in database from a main table.
I have a database table called "tbl_personal" and struggling to VBA program a bit of code to create multiple tables in a database from the main "tbl_personal" table. In this case the 'color' column is the field I would like to look at. 1. Identify the number of unique records in column 'color' 2. For each color record that is label as red in the "tbl_personal" table, create a table called 'red' and populate with all red records in from the "tbl_personal" table. 3.Then move onto the next unique color and repeat the whole process again. 4. When all unique color tables are created in MS Access database end with a msg "batch process done" name surname age color country aa aaa 1 red UK bb bbb 10 green USA cc ccc 20 blue China dd ddd 30 red Germany ee eee 40 green France ff fff 1 blue Italy gg ggg 20 red Spain hh hhh 40 yellow Canada ii iii 34 black Italy =85 Is this doable automatically in MS Access? Many thanks. brenda Are you sure you want to do this? I would expect 3 tables vis: Table of Personel with PersonelID, Suname, FirstName, ColourID, CountryID & DateOfBirth (Age will be out of date next birthday and should be calculated), Table of Colours ColourID & Colour Table of Countries CountryID & Country. You can then use simple queries to return all the red people or people who live in UK. Am I missing something? Phil <bbcdancer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:495c4ca6...

Ms. Access database problem
Hello, I have a MS. Access database in XP. When I open the database in design view, users will get an error message & cannot even open the database. Is there any way to solve this problem? Thanks for your help in advance. Orchid What error message? Did you try the standard compact/repair routine? Thanks for your reply! The error message is: "The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin' on machine 'Name' that prevents it from being opened or locked." Yeah, I tried the standard compact/repair routine, (which is under Tool, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair Database...)but still got the same error message. "Orchid" <yhtong86@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<1112194542.469115.105910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>... > Thanks for your reply! > The error message is: "The database has been placed in a state by user > 'Admin' on machine 'Name' that prevents it from being opened or > locked." > > Yeah, I tried the standard compact/repair routine, (which is under > Tool, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair Database...)but still got > the same error message. try deleting the *.ldb file on the machine that has it opened or locked. Orchid wrote: > Hello, > I have a MS. Access database in XP. When I open the database in design > view, users will get an error message & cannot even open the database. > Is there any way to solve this problem?...

Problem with MS Access Database
------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C56A17.539605A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I'm using wxWidgets now a long time for designig my applications. This weekend I tried first to use the Database classes, but I've got a problem with them... I've got an Microsoft Access Datenbase, with two tables: Orte(ID, Staat, Name, and so on) PLZOrte(ID, PLZ) This tables are set into a relationship. The field ID ist the primary key in Orte and set up the relation. Now I'd like to do a query to this database in my...

How to access MS-Access metadata tables (eg MSysObjects)
Dear all, I have an MS-Access MDB-file with hundreds of tables and want to know when they were created and/or modified. The MS-Access metadata table MSySObjects includes this information, but I have not managed to read it from SAS. (CLI describe error tells me that I have no reading access) --> Does anybody have a working code example for this? I have tried the libname ACCESS and Libname ODBC variants. Regards Dietrich -- DIETRICH ALTE, Dipl.-Statistiker, Dr. rer. med. Wiss. Projektmanager "Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP)" Institut f�r Community Medicine - SHIP/KEF EMA-Universit�t Greifswald - Medizinische Fakult�t Walther-Rathenau-Str. 48, D-17475 Greifswald, Germany URL ship.community-medicine.de Phone ++49(0)3834-867713, Fax ++49(0)3834-866684 ...

access MS-Access database in C# Windows Application
Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application Blocks to access the database. I have tried 2 possible connection strings. ----------------------------------------- str_1 = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" + DBFilePath; str_2 = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" + DBFilePath; //SqlHelper is the class in the Microsoft Application Blocks SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery( str_1, CommandType.Text, SQL_str); ----------------------------------- The error message I got is: "Unknown connection option in connection string: driver." for str_1 and " Unknown connection option in connection string: provider." for str_2 So I am wondering, where is the problem? Is it because my connection string for MS Access is specified wrongly? Or is it because I cannot use SqlHelper to access the MS Access database? ( I have used SqlHelper class to access the MS SQL server, and it works) Your help will be greatly appreciated. James James wrote: > Hi, I am trying to access the MS Access database on my local machine > in C# Windows Application in Visual Studio.NET. > > But it seems that it does not work. I use the Microsoft Application > Blocks to access the database. > > I have tried 2 possible connection strings. > > ----------------------------------------- > ...

Wanted
I am wanting to be able to write reports against an ms-access database that is part of another package. I only want to report from the database. What I need is a package that will allow me to create the reports and then be able to distribute a run-time version. The client may not have Office so the package must run standalone. It could get to the Access database through an ODBC driver. Does anyone know what packages available? It looks like Crystal Reports has taken out their runtime version with their latest software but that was only a footnote in a book that I was reading. Please provide me with a list to start researching. Thanks, Joe There used to be other third-party report writers, but I don't know how many have survived over the years -- Crystal Reports appears to have been the most popular of these packages. (It is the only one that I have observed closely in use, and I saw some impressive work done with it on web applications against SQL Server.) Unless the magnitude of the distributable would be a problem, you can create your reports in Access, and distribute the Access application to run them with Access' runtime support. You'll get the Access runtime support in the Office Developer Edition for Access 97 - 2002, and in the Visual Studio.NET Tools for Office 2003 System for Access 2003. If you have difficulties with deployment using only the Packaging and Distribution Wizard, you can use a third-party installer such as Wise InstallMaster or Instal...

Does MS Access db have problems with multiple users access it at once?
I am developing an Access db which will be used by multiple users. My questions are: Does MS Access have problems with multiple users accessing the db at once? If yes, what is your solution to this problem? I was informed that Access is not a good application for multiple users accessing it at once. Thank you for your assistance to this issue of mine. Will the users just be reading, or will multiple users be writing at the same time? I've seen data corruption in older (Access '97) databases with large numbers of users reading and writing. I haven't seen any corruption where there's only one user writing. You might want to take a look at using MS-SQL, but it depends a lot on and whether the complexity of the application warrents the add'l resource investment... chloemelmom@yahoo.com (mary) wrote in message news:<a0a64947.0311251150.1357819@posting.google.com>... > I am developing an Access db which will be used by multiple users. My > questions are: > > Does MS Access have problems with multiple users accessing the db at > once? > > If yes, what is your solution to this problem? > > I was informed that Access is not a good application for multiple > users accessing it at once. > > Thank you for your assistance to this issue of mine. ...

MS Access Linked table problem
Hi. I've got a strange problem with linked tables in MS Access. The linked tables are on SQL Server 2000, and the Access version is 2003. When any of the the column names contain a space, I get an "incorrect syntax" error. When the column names do not contain a space, the table opens OK. So I assume it's some problem with the ODBC connector. However, the ODBC version is the same as on another PC that can open the linked tables (same database) without any problems. Any ideas? Try wrapping your field names in square brackets. i.e. tablename! [field name]. -tc On Mar 4, 4:51=A0am, benb <Ben.Baw...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi. I've got a strange problem with linked tables in MS Access. > > The linked tables are on SQL Server 2000, and the Access version is > 2003. > > When any of the the column names contain a space, I get an "incorrect > syntax" error. When the column names do not contain a space, the table > opens OK. So I assume it's some problem with the ODBC connector. > However, the ODBC version is the same as on another PC that can open > the linked tables (same database) without any problems. > > Any ideas? ...

Problem with Pivot Tables in MS Access
I have two computers both running XP and Office 2003. Whenever I try to open a query in Pivot Table view on my laptop, the computer pauses briefly, then changes to datasheet view. If I move the database to my desktop, I can view queries in Pivot Table view with no problems. I tried creating a dummy database from scratch to see if the problem was with my database or with Access on the laptop and was again unable to view anything in Pivot Table view. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the entire Office suite from the CD but I continue to have this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. ...

postgreSQL temporary tables and MS Access
I tried to work with postgres temporary tables from MS Access, but unsuccessfully... I was able to create temporary table by pass-through query, also I succeeded in creating linked table through code, but when I try to open it, an error apears and Access says there is no schema... Also, I couldn't link table using ODBC wizard... Can someone explain why I can't use temporary tables from MS Access ? Does it mean that every query execution is separate connection, so previously created temporary table no longer works for next queries ? Has anybody used postgres temporary tables from MS Access ? Thanks in advance, Zlatko ...

Linking to temporary tables from an Access Project
I've been asked to take over maintenance of a report generation tool. It exists as a standalone app. that reports on a Pretty Large Application. The PLA is an Access MDB FE that links to a SQL Server BE, and the FE has a smattering of local tables as well. My reporting tool is an Access Project (ADP) that sits on the PLA's SQL BE. But suddenly I happen to need data from a temporary Access table in the application's FE. What's worse, it needs it in a single SQL statement. To cut a VERY unpleasant piece of SQL down to a manageable chunk... SQL Table: PLA.tblApplicant ACCESS Table: tblApplicantStatus Requirement: SELECT tblApplicantStatus.fldStatus FROM tblApplicantStatus INNER JOIN PLA.tblApplicant ON tblApplicantStatus.fldStatusID = PLA.tblApplicant.fldStatusID Can it be done, with some trickery involving the prefixing the local table with a connection string of some sort? Or am I doomed to rewrite the whole shooting match as an MDB? TIA Edward ...

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to > access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to > log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way > around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. > Thanks Mike > We have just started this database so any changes would be better done > sooner. It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each PC. You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example. Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access reverts to single-user only. -- regards, Br@dley Br@dley wrote:...

Web resources about - Problem with temporary table in Access project - comp.databases.ms-access

Temporary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Report: Facebook To Open Temporary Vancouver Office To Recruit, Train Engineering Talent
Facebook will set up a temporary office in Vancouver , British Columbia, where it will conduct “boot camps” to train recent software engineering ...

Facebook brings post insights back to Pages Manager app after temporary removal
A recent update to Pages Manager for iOS has returned detailed post insights to the product after a version earlier this month was released without ...

App Store - Bridgeway Temporary Housing
Get Bridgeway Temporary Housing on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Temporary public toilets 1 - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
These are positioned by the city every year over the canals. They are located on the river bank and are therefore subject to flooding every few ...

人人建築 Architecture for the Mass - 尼泊爾臨時住所原型 Temporary Shelter Prototype in Nepal - YouTube
Charles Lai from Hong Kong and Takehiko Suzuki from Tokyo completed a prototype for a rapid-erected shelter with bamboo structure and other local ...

Temporary speed reduction on Abu Dhabi-Dubai highway - The National
Radars along a stretch of the road will be set at 121kph, down from 141kph, as roadwork is carried out.

Charlotte Pass accept temporary lease extension
Charlotte Pass ski village has accepted a 28-month extension on their existing lease with the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service in a deal ...

Morrison says deficit levy 'only temporary'
Treasurer Scott Morrison says a 'deficit levy' on high-income earners was always a temporary measure.

Apple Watch Diary: A (temporary) world without Apple Pay
I said last summer in my Apple Watch Diary series that Apple Pay arriving in the UK was the tipping point for me in transforming the Watch from ...