Problems accessing a MySQL database via an Access linked table

Hello

In order to perform a hetrogeneous join (I think that's what they're called)
between MySQL and another database, I've created an Access database
containing linked tables from each datasource.

I create the linked tables without any problems, clicking on "save password"
before selecting the desired tables. I can then access both tables fine from
within the Access GUI.

The problem starts when I then try to access this data from my ASP.NET web
application - classic ASP works fine but .NET gives me...

ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] ODBC--connection to
'MyDSN' failed.

From then on, the Access database remains locked (.LDB file in the same
directory) and I get a similar error when I run my ASP page, which
previously worked.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Regards
James Bird

Web Manager
The Dolls House Emporium
Tudor Models Ltd
james.bird@dollshouse.com  www.dollshouse.com
Tel: 01773 514405   Fax: 01773 513772

solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. No liability
is accepted for the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in
this email.

If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender that you have
received it in error, and do not use, distribute, print or copy it.

Can you supply your code?

Also, can you successfully hit the source databases wthout using the middle
database from your .Net application?

"James Bird" <james.bird@dollshouse.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> In order to perform a hetrogeneous join (I think that's what they're
called)
> between MySQL and another database, I've created an Access database
> containing linked tables from each datasource.
>
> I create the linked tables without any problems, clicking on "save
password"
> before selecting the desired tables. I can then access both tables fine
from
> within the Access GUI.
>
> The problem starts when I then try to access this data from my ASP.NET web
> application - classic ASP works fine but .NET gives me...
>
> ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] ODBC--connection
> 'MyDSN' failed.
>
> From then on, the Access database remains locked (.LDB file in the same
> directory) and I get a similar error when I run my ASP page, which
> previously worked.
>
> Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
>
> Regards
> James Bird
>
> Web Manager
> The Dolls House Emporium
> Tudor Models Ltd
> james.bird@dollshouse.com  www.dollshouse.com
> Tel: 01773 514405   Fax: 01773 513772

> solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. No
liability
> is accepted for the accuracy or completeness of any information contained
in
> this email.
>
> If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender that you
have
> received it in error, and do not use, distribute, print or copy it.

Identifying Access Databases with tables linked from other Databases/Files
Hi, Have a number of Access Databases that I inherited and want to zip a few of them. My concern is that other active Microsoft Applications may be linking to the database or its tables. Is there a method of searching that will allow me to identify those MS Access files that are linked to. I am not really concerned with itemizing the which files link to which, but just that a link exists. Thanks in advance for any help. Bill It is easy to find the files which it links to but I don't know of any way to find the files which link to it. If you want to find the ones it links to look up the "linked table manager". If you want it the other way round I can't think of any suggestions :( <bill.brennum@grainger.com> wrote in message news:1123692126.033753.32220@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Have a number of Access Databases that I inherited and want to zip a > few of them. My concern is that other active Microsoft Applications > may be linking to the database or its tables. Is there a method of > searching that will allow me to identify those MS Access files that are > linked to. I am not really concerned with itemizing the which files > link to which, but just that a link exists. > > Thanks in advance for any help. > > Bill > John, Thanks for the reply. Yeah I had the linked table manager for the databases linked to. The linked from is what I want. Bill The only way I can think of ...

Accessing Access database files
Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access database? I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run it because all my computers run Linux. -- martin@ | Martin Gregorie gregorie. | Essex, UK org | On 7/1/2014 9:28 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote: > Is there a JDBC driver or non-JDBC class library that would give a Java > program read/write access to the tables and schema in a MS Access > database? > > I don't need to update the database, just examine the schema and table > contents. I don't have a copy od the Access software and nowhere to run > it because all my computers run Linux. I haven't tried this myself, but Stack Overflow says: "You can use JDBC-ODBC bridge by calling: Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver") Then you can use JDBC database URL in form: jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=c:\\Nwind.mdb or if you configure your database in ODBC manager you can use its alias: jdbc:odbc:northwind " You might need an older copy of the JDK because the driver was removed in JDK 8. You can find drivers in a couple of places: http://jackcess.sourceforge.net/ http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 09:55:30 -...

Accessing Access

access to Access
We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it including me. We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. Thanks Mike We have just started this database so any changes would be better done sooner. Mike Kelliher wrote: > We use MS access 2000 at work and few people know how to work it > including me. > We are using it on a network and more than one person is trying to > access it at once. Needless to say this isn't working as one has to > log out first before another can enter data. Is there an easy way > around this? Or a complicated way, actually I'll take anyway. > Thanks Mike > We have just started this database so any changes would be better done > sooner. It's highly recommended to have the database split with the data on the shared network drive and a copy of the frontend (forms/reports/etc) on each PC. You'll still get issues if people try to edit the same record for example. Also, you must make sure each user has permission to create new files on the network dive/folder where the MDB is located as Access dynamically creates an LDB file for record locking. If they can't create this file then Access reverts to single-user only. -- regards, Br@dley Br@dley wrote:...

problem accessing access 97 database through odbc on windows 2003 sp1
Hello, We have a legacy application which relies on an Access 97 database (upgrading is nog an option atm). As we are setting up a new server (Windows 2003), we started experiencing problems running that application after installing all required updates (Windows, Office, ..) It did work before updating, with a basic OS + application installation. Somewhere an update dit break things, but we do not know which one. Now for the problem. When starting the application, following error is returned: --------------------------- ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Login Failed --------------------------- Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application. --------------------------- OK Cancel --------------------------- OK let's you choose another mdb (not an option) and CANCEL fails the app, which is the problem :-) Current versions: * JET version: 4.0.6305.00 - not sure which this is, it's more recent than JET 4 SP8 which is the lates I can download separately. * Office 2000 SR1 with latest updates * MDAC 2.8 SP2 ON WINDOWS SERVER 2003 SP1 (2.82)(ComponentChecker 2.0) What we tried so far, to no good: * http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q310804 * http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310937 * downgrading MDAC, which is seems useless (has no effects on file versions + no relation to odbc?) * downgrading JET 4 (by manually replacing odbcjt32.dll in system32 and system32/dllcache) * Googled to death on the matt...

Can an Access 2013 database link to an Access 97 back end?
Can an Access 2013 database link to an Access 97 back end, perhaps using ODBC even? On Monday, September 29, 2014 5:17:03 PM UTC-4, Neil wrote: > Can an Access 2013 database link to an Access 97 back end, perhaps using > > ODBC even? I think this answers the question. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA102749625.aspx. I don't see why the links to the backend wouldn't work unless you have mapping issues or something similar. On 9/30/2014 8:02 AM, Patrick Finucane wrote: > On Monday, September 29, 2014 5:17:03 PM UTC-4, Neil wrote: >> Can an Access 2013 database link to an Access 97 back end, perhaps using >> >> ODBC even? > > I think this answers the question. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA102749625.aspx. I don't see why the links to the backend wouldn't work unless you have mapping issues or something similar. > No, that article just says to convert the back end to ACCDB. I need to keep the back end in A97 (another system also uses it, and it has to be in A97 format, as that system is old). I understand A13 not supporting the A97 format for databases, as that format is old. But I don't understand it not allowing to at least link to A97 tables. Seems it should be able to do that. But, apparently, you can't. One person I've spoken with elsewhere was able...

Problem with MS Access Database
------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C56A17.539605A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I'm using wxWidgets now a long time for designig my applications. This weekend I tried first to use the Database classes, but I've got a problem with them... I've got an Microsoft Access Datenbase, with two tables: Orte(ID, Staat, Name, and so on) PLZOrte(ID, PLZ) This tables are set into a relationship. The field ID ist the primary key in Orte and set up the relation. Now I'd like to do a query to this database in my...

Ms. Access database problem
Hello, I have a MS. Access database in XP. When I open the database in design view, users will get an error message & cannot even open the database. Is there any way to solve this problem? Thanks for your help in advance. Orchid What error message? Did you try the standard compact/repair routine? Thanks for your reply! The error message is: "The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin' on machine 'Name' that prevents it from being opened or locked." Yeah, I tried the standard compact/repair routine, (which is under Tool, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair Database...)but still got the same error message. "Orchid" <yhtong86@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<1112194542.469115.105910@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>... > Thanks for your reply! > The error message is: "The database has been placed in a state by user > 'Admin' on machine 'Name' that prevents it from being opened or > locked." > > Yeah, I tried the standard compact/repair routine, (which is under > Tool, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair Database...)but still got > the same error message. try deleting the *.ldb file on the machine that has it opened or locked. Orchid wrote: > Hello, > I have a MS. Access database in XP. When I open the database in design > view, users will get an error message & cannot even open the database. > Is there any way to solve this problem?...

Blocking users from accessing Access database
Hi, All I try to block some one import my Access database tables using Access database. I used password protection, but if some one crack through my password, are there any other methods to block some one importing my tables using Access database? Thanks kai "kai" wrote > I used password protection, but if some > one crack through my password, are > there any other methods to block some > one importing my tables using Access > database? No, not that I know of, if they break security (and it isn't all that difficult). Security on a desktop database that someone can copy as a file, take away, and work on at their leisure isn't ever going to be as good as security on a server database. If your data tables are very important to you, that would be the way to go -- a server database with an Access front-end. Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP Larry, Thanks Kai "Larry Linson" <bouncer@localhost.not> wrote in message news:khO4d.1375$Jj4.548@trnddc06... > "kai" wrote > > > I used password protection, but if some > > one crack through my password, are > > there any other methods to block some > > one importing my tables using Access > > database? > > No, not that I know of, if they break security (and it isn't all that > difficult). Security on a desktop database that someone can copy as a > file, > take away, and work on at their leisure i...

Opening access database for exclusive access
hi Folks, I am opening my access database file (Access 2003) from a C# application. The connection string specifies mode=Share Exclusive The intent is that the application have exclusive access to the database file. No other instance of MS Access or this particular C# application (or any other app) should be able to open the access database file concurrently. however it seems that this is not happening. A second instance of my program run from another computer under another LAN user id can successfully open a connection to the database using the same connection string, specifying Share Exclusive. I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. -John jljamison#gmail.com@NOSPAM never mind - i figured it out. I had inadvertently put two "Mode=..." pairs in my connection string, the latter one was less restrictive. ...

Web resources about - Problems accessing a MySQL database via an Access linked table - comp.databases.ms-access

Accessing the Future Fund a sensible proposal, says super expert Daryl Dixon
As portfolios go, the Future Fund's asset allocation is concentrated in higher-risk investment, including equities and alternative assets.

Accessing my Super
I'm 57 - can I access my super?

Australia, US accessing Indonesian telephone data, leaked documents show
Newly disclosed documents from former US intelligence contractor Edward Snowden have revealed that Australian intelligence efforts against Indonesia ...

Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke detained at Melbourne Airport, accuses Customs officials of accessing ...
Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke has accused Customs officials of accessing hundreds of patients' sensitive records on his laptop after detaining ...