Question re: MS Access Forms or Data Pages

I have a single large MS Access table with about 25 fields (Grant
Number, Project, Check Date, etc.).  I’d like to create a form
or data sheet that would allow people who are not familiar with Access
queries to look up (not add or edit) information.  For example, to
find all the transactions that are associated with a particular grant
number.  Is the best way to do this to create a form based on a blank
query for the input, then have a sub-form for the results?  Thanks!
0
jeff7035 (1)

Hi Jeff,

This is a simple approach but it'll get you started:

I created a blank form, no recordsource.
One combobox, one command button.
Generated a read-only query based on the contents of the combobox.
[1] combobox named cboChoice populated with names via a query - using
'distinct' to return one row for each name.
"SELECT DISTINCT tblPerson.PersonName FROM tblPerson; "
[2] command button named cmdComboQuery.
[3] also created a query called qryCombo with initial SQL same as statement
above, doesn't matter what it is as it will be rewritten for each query.

This event is triggered by hitting the command button:

Private Sub cmdComboQuery_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_cmdComboQuery_Click

    Dim qryName As String
    Dim qdf As querydef

    qryName = "qryCombo"

    Set qdf = CurrentDb.QueryDefs(qryName)
    qdf.SQL = "select * from tblPerson where PersonName = '" & Me!cboChoice
& "'"
    DoCmd.OpenQuery qryName, acNormal, acReadOnly

Exit_cmdComboQuery_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_cmdComboQuery_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_cmdComboQuery_Click

End Sub

HTH         -Linda

"Jeff" <jeff@endofhistory.com> wrote in message
> I have a single large MS Access table with about 25 fields (Grant
> Number, Project, Check Date, etc.).  I&#8217;d like to create a form
> or data sheet that would allow people who are not familiar with Access
> queries to look up (not add or edit) information.  For example, to
> find all the transactions that are associated with a particular grant
> number.  Is the best way to do this to create a form based on a blank
> query for the input, then have a sub-form for the results?  Thanks!

0
wiseowl (90)

ms access data access pages
hi my self uttam . i am working in r & d organization . friends i need a he lp from u . if any one of u know how add two sections(consisting of caption, header, footer ) be displayed on the same data page in ms access 2003 or 2005.i tried to display two tables on the data page in tabular format but i could not do it. it is allowing to display one table but it is not allowing to display the other table separately in tabular format . i want more than one table in tabular format to be dispalyed in data page separately with some text in-between tables. plz reply me with regards uttam On Mar 24, 5:06 am, kunu...@gmail.com wrote: > hi my self uttam . i am working in r & d organization . friends i > need a he lp from u . if any one of u know how add two > sections(consisting of caption, header, footer ) be displayed on the > same data page in ms access 2003 or 2005.i tried to display two tables > on the data page in > tabular format but i could not do it. it is allowing to display one > table but it is not allowing to display the other table separately in > tabular format . i want more than one table in tabular format to be > dispalyed in data page separately with some text in-between tables. > plz reply me > with regards > uttam Use a form and subforms. ...

RE: How can I access data from MS Access?
Peter, I sadly admit that I was wrong. "Doesn't seem to work" is effectivly even more useless than "doesn't work". I give up. Years ago we used to get our FORTRAN card decks back from the DP center with a piece of scrap paper saysing "She No Work". top that. On 5 Feb, 19:40, "Sells, Fred" <f...@adventistcare.org> wrote: > Years ago we used to get our FORTRAN card decks back from the DP center > with a piece of scrap paper saysing "She No Work". top that. I used to use a cross-compiler (targetting some obscure single-c...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions
Without having enough time to analyze excatly, what are your needs: if there are no important reasons why the data must be keept in MS Access: why you don't keep it all in SAS? If you are analyzing in SAS, there is no real reason to have any other DB to hold the data. For users you have many possibilities to give them comfortable possibilities to enter data, in or outside SAS. In SAS, the most easy idea is to use SAS/FSP. But that is not necessary. You can use nearly any tool for data entry and bring the (standard formatted) data into SAS. To get a consultant for realizing a proper solution might be a good idea. It sometime is not easy trying to learn to program in SAS by developing a productive solution, because it might be not easy to get it in time with all the obstacles, there might be in your way. If you have time (and money) enough, you should take the chance to learn how to do some steps further in SAS programming together with a good consultant. On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:26:59 -0500, Rob Cheshire <rob.cheshire@NOAA.GOV> wrote: >Hi to all, > I need some help deciding on the best database system for our >specific application. >OPTIONAL INFO: We currently have 2 separate projects that need to be >updated from dos-based dBase. I'll only describe one of these but the >other is comparable in size. The project currently has about 32 >files. The 2 largest are about 30,000 records and 5 columns include >data from the last 30 yea...

MS Access Question for Access Gurus
I have one table called Album another table called Song One Album has many songs I created an Album form that contains a Song Subform. in the Song table I have a field id which is the primary key, and another field called index The song index is a number that represents the song number on the record. For example on the Beatle's Album: Abbey Road the song indices are as follows: Track Listings 1. Come Together 2. Something 3. Maxwell's Silver Hammer 4. Oh! Darling 5. Octopus's Garden 6. I Want You (She's So Heavy) 7. Here Comes the Sun 8. Because 9. You Never Give Me Your Money 10. Sun King 11. Mean Mr. Mustard 12. Polythene Pam 13. She Came in Through the Bathroom Window 14. Golden Slumbers 15. Carry That Weight 16. End 17. Her Majesty My question is.....on the song subform how can I get the song index to automatically have the index inserted based on the number of tracks already entered. In other words a running count? For your information, here are my tables Table: Album Primary Key: id (number) name (text) Table: Song Primary Key: id (number) name (text) index (number) albumID (foreign key) Relationship is One Album to Many Songs with Referential Integrity. I really appreciate your help. "Elliot W. Scott" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:mu2dndCuUJpUqInfRVn-pw@comcast.com... >I have one table called Album > another table cal...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions #3
Rob: MS Access imports data easily from dBase (*.dbf) files. I see no advantage in moving to SAS for that feature, especially if you would prefer to use the basic DE form controls in MS Access to develop what should be a simple DE capability. Although ODBC transfers of data from MS Access (*.mdb) databases has some pitfalls, as does OLEdb or other middleware (in particular, conversions of integers to floating point numbers, date/time values, and nulls/missings), a bit of Q/C will help you iron out the wrinkles and set up a reliable connection. It often helps as well to separate a data collection operation from a data analysis group. Even on a small scale, periodic publishing of analytic datasets usually works better than giving researchers continuous access to primary data files. Continuous access makes it more difficult to check estimates for consistency and to replicate earlier results. A separate database for data collection operations also makes it easier to implement a sound database design for operations. Data analysts prefer to restructure data to fit analytic procedures, and have little appreciation of data integrity constraints and data validation. Fortunately you do not have to choose between MS Access (or another DBMS) and SAS. SAS has particular value on the analytic side of your project(s). Access to a data source with a good relational database design guarantees that a SAS programmer can restructure data quickly and accurately into the structures that analysts ...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions #2
You're describing my project with the Department of Education! We had a dbase database and used a Clipper application to massage it into 'presentable' form. And I thought I was on the bleeding edge (back edge, that is) 8 years ago. As with everything, it depends on what your main purpose is. In my case, it was to disseminate the information to as many people as possible in a format that could be read by/into as many applications as possible. So, we converted our data to flat files and supplied an 'application' that generated sas code that would read the flat files into a sas dataset (complete with formats and labels), so the researcher could write their own code to run against the sas dataset. It sounds like your project isn't quite as ambitious, but the reason I include this example is that it's hard to predict what form data will take, say, 5 years from now. I'll bet you've already run into difficulties in using Clipper, and you'd like to avoid these kind of problems the next time you update/analyze your data. Sas has had some changes in going from one version to another--generally, upgrading to the next version involves updating your dataset to the next version's format. So, if you're purpose is to archive your data for the next iteration of your survey, unless you're going to be active in the data, sas might not be the best choice for data storage. Somewhat more stable would be something like SQL server (cheap, ...

Importing MS Access data into MS Word
In the thread "combining multiple address fields into 1 address field", Stuart (?) helped solve that problem. I then tried to set up a mail merge in Word to check how I could use and merge the data. I found the database tool bar and opened the appropriate database - but... I could not find a way to open a particular table or query in order to insert the fields from the query into Word. The procedure I followed was this: - open a blank word .doc - from the database tool bar selected "insert database" - a window opened, headed 'Database' and divided into 3 section: at the top a section titled "data source", a middle section titled "data options", a bottom section titled "insert the data into the document" - "under "data source" I clicked "get data" - a window headed 'Select data source' opened - I navigated to the relevant database (mobmem07.mdb) and selected it. - this added the database location to the "data source" part of the 'database' window - I then looked at the "query options" section I found I could not select a table or query from within the database I had opened. Word had merely defaulted to opening one of the two tables in it. The only querying I could do was on the table it had loaded from the functions Word provided. I could not find a way to open any other table let alone a query. Moreover, I couldn't see a wa...

exporting data from ms access to ms project
Im wondering if any on can help me to export data out of an ms access database into ms project 2002. I want to export a start date and completion data of different projects, which is stored in the database. I think this process can be done invisible to the user, so that when they enter the data into access and save it, it will automatically create a project schedule in ms project, which they can refer to at a later date in the application. I would appreciate if any one can give me any advice on this matter, i.e. VBA code etc or good web sites etc that may be of use. Regards Rob McC, England ...

Date picker from MS-Access 2000 to MS-Access 2003
Hello. How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in MS-Access 2003. TIA J�rn Why not scrap it and use the all-API approach Stephen Lebans has at http://www.lebans.com/monthcalendar.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work > in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Allen Browne has an excellent calendar control at http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html -- PC Datasheet Your Resource For Help With Access, Excel And Word Applications resource@pcdatasheet.com www.pcdatasheet.com "JHB" <joern_bea@removeThis_tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message news:42190d18$0$48635$edfadb0f@dread15.news.tele.dk... > Hello. > > > > How do I get a date picker (References: Microsoft Calendar Control 8.0 > Location C:\Windows\System 32\mscal.ocx) inset in MS-Access 2000, to work in > MS-Access 2003. > > > > TIA > > J�rn > > Thanks for the link...

MS Access Script to import data from external mde database to mdb database
Hi, Does anyone know of a way I can write a script that imports a table from a particular .mde file? I don't seen any obvious way to do it as a macro. Any suggestions if it can be done as a macro or as a written module? My ultimate goal is to have script that clears info out of 1 table in an .mdb file, imports an identically structured table from a .mde file, runs an append query I have in place to copy the data from the imported table to the table in my.mbd file, and then delete the imported table. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes, George Hadley ghadley_00@yahoo.com With DBEngine(0)(0) .Execute "DELETE * FROM Suppliers WHERE SupplierID IN (SELECT SupplierID FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers)" .Execute "INSERT INTO Suppliers SELECT * FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers" End With Is this code I would run as a module? Yes or you could use the strings in two separate saved queries. ...

Form size question with Access forms, remote desktop, and MS Surface Pro
Hi, I know this is a stretch to ask this question, but: We have an Access 2010 application hosted using Remote Desktop. When we access forms from the desktop they look like they should. And from an iPad. However, a client is using their Surface Pro the forms are so tiny that she can't use them when accessing our application "on the cloud". Otherwise, they look fine on a Surface Pro when running it off the cloud. Does anyone have an idea? I do not think there is anything that the people that are hosting our software can do. -paulw On Monday, 29 February 2016 17:30:11 UTC, PW wrote: > Hi, > > I know this is a stretch to ask this question, but: > > We have an Access 2010 application hosted using Remote Desktop. When > we access forms from the desktop they look like they should. And from > an iPad. However, a client is using their Surface Pro the forms are > so tiny that she can't use them when accessing our application "on the > cloud". Otherwise, they look fine on a Surface Pro when running it > off the cloud. > > Does anyone have an idea? I do not think there is anything that the > people that are hosting our software can do. > > -paulw It will cost you, but have a look at a program called "ShrinkerStrether from Peter's Software (http://www.peterssoftware.com/ss.htm) This should shrink or stretch forms and all their controls to match the scr...

1* Exporting data from Ms Access to Ms Project
Im wondering if any on can help me to export data out of an ms access database into ms project 2002. I want to export a start date and completion data of different projects, which is stored in the database. I think this process can be done invisible to the user, so that when they enter the data into access and save it, it will automatically create a project schedule in ms project, which they can refer to at a later date in the application. I would appreciate if any one can give me any advice on this matter, i.e. VBA code etc or good web sites, books that may be of use. Regards Rob McC, England There is code to write from Access to Project in Scott Barker's "Access 2000 Power Programming". Never automated Project, but the rest of his code worked a charm, so that should too. ...

how to access MS data access 2.7 sdk ???
I keep getting the following when trying to create a connection to a database : Error: User defined type not declared . The declaration it is complaining about is : c1 As ADODB.Connecton I'm re-entering this mess from a couple of years ago, and just want to connect to a DB2 v8.1 database from a VB app. Any suggestions, code examples, etc., would be appreciated. Mairhtin O'Feannag mairhtin at techsolutionsgroupllc dot com ... On 24 May 2004 13:31:01 -0700, in comp.lang.basic.visual.database you wrote: >I keep getting the following when trying to create a co...

How to connect MS Access form to MS SQL Server
Hello all I created an application which use MS Access 2000 as user interface and MS SQL Server 2000 as backend. If I want to get data from MS SQL Sever 2000 and display them on the MS Access 2000 form, where do I set the database connection to the form (i.e. tell the form to get data from MS SQL server database)? Thanks Bon In Windows control panel, admin tools, data sources (ODBC), create a system DSN of type SQL server and fill in the parameters for your SQL database. In Access, select file / get external data, files of type ODBC. Select machine data source, select the DSN you created and the table(s) you need. ...

Web resources about - Question re: MS Access Forms or Data Pages - comp.databases.ms-access

Thirteen tough questions every couple should ask for a successful marriage
These intimate and sometimes awkward questions give couples a chance to spill secrets before it's too late.

Arnold Schwarzenegger terminates Weekend Sunrise interview after questions on US presidential campaign ...
He's famous for saying he'll be back, but Arnold Schwarzenegger may think twice about appearing on Weekend Sunrise again.

South Carolina police officer killed trying to question teen
A South Carolina police officer was shot and killed Friday as he and a partner were trying to question a self-professed gang member who they ...

"It’s a question every candidate for state Supreme Court is asked: Which U.S. Supreme Court justices ...
Writes the left/liberal Bill Lueders at the end of his Isthmus piece "Battle for the [Wisconsin Supreme] court/Bradley v. Kloppenburg is a classic ...

17 former Google interview questions so ridiculous that the company banned them
Sometimes the hiring practices of even the most successful companies can feel outright wonky. There can be strange interview questions that ...

S.C. police officer killed trying to question teen
S.C. police officer killed trying to question teen

14 great responses when a job interviewer asks, 'Any questions for me?'
So you managed to get through a phone screen, ten resume revisions, and a lot of anxious moments when you were convinced they were ignoring you. ...

South Carolina police officer killed trying to question man
New York Daily News South Carolina police officer killed trying to question man Charlotte Observer Police officers work the scene of an officer-involved ...

5 Climate Questions About China’s New Five-Year Plan
Originally published on WRI. By Geoffrey Henderson, Ranping Song and Paul Joffe China has officially unveiled its 13th Five-Year Plan, which ...