Re: Access 2010 with Sharepoint 2010

<David Fentom wrote:

<But I haven't had contract for a build-from-scratch brand-new Access
<app of any degree of complexity in over 5 years -- all my work now
<is maintaining the apps of my existing client base, and taking on
<new clients with existing apps that need to be revised, updated and
<expanding.

Perhaps then your Access business is dying.

<Nobody is asking for web deployment.

I hear of lots of people asking for web development.  something that to
date I have done very little of.  so David, perhaps they know you are
Access focused and look elsewhere for web development.

Bob
0
bobalston9 (397)

Bob Alston <bobalston9@yahoo.com> wrote in

><David Fentom wrote:
>
><But I haven't had contract for a build-from-scratch brand-new
>Access <app of any degree of complexity in over 5 years -- all my
>work now <is maintaining the apps of my existing client base, and
>taking on <new clients with existing apps that need to be revised,
>updated and <expanding.
>
> Perhaps then your Access business is dying.

I spend the vast majority of my billable hours on Access, just not
new applications.

I think one of the issues may be that Office 2007 has not been
widely deployed, and thus the new development that usually comes
with a paradigm-shifting new version of Access has not happened
because people aren't using that new version of Access, because they
are resisting the whole of that version of Office.

I think that Win7 and the forthcoming Office 2010 is going to change
all of that. I'm certainly bullish on Win7 whereas I was completely
against Vista.

I do fear that many of my clients will resist the ribbon. I am still
at the stage of finding it to be amateurish and distracting. It's
not persistent enough or uniform enough for me to feel comfortable
with it, but, again, I'm not using it all day long, so I'm not
really giving it a chance.

But it really is a big stumbling block for certain kinds of users,
seems to me (and I have lots of them). I mean, I have a client who
(rightly, in my opinion) is still upset by the transition from Word
97 to Word 2002/2003 -- the whole task pane thing is still giving
her fits (it gives *me* fits). I am also still annoyed at the moving
around of features (usually to incorporate them into the task pane).
Editing a style was hard enough in Word 97. Now it has twice the
number of steps to get to the editing dialog.

I haven't looked at Word 2007 to see if it's better organized with
the ribbons -- ah, yes, they've made it vastly easier (better even
than the Word 97 version), by simply adding a MODIFY button to any
place where you select a style. Once there, it's the same old
problem with having to dig down through dialog levels off the format
button, but at least it's much quicker to get there.

That's the kind of thing I can sell with training, but my users will
say "but I already know how to do it -- what am I gaining by
switching beyond the need to relearn everything?" And in most cases,
particularly apps like Word, it's a pretty hard sell.

><Nobody is asking for web deployment.
>
> I hear of lots of people asking for web development.  something
> that to date I have done very little of.  so David, perhaps they
> know you are Access focused and look elsewhere for web
> development.

I do web development as well, so that doesn't seem to me to be the
issue. Now, for significant web projects, I usually direct them to
someone who concentrates on web development (and act as the liaison
guiding the project, i.e., insuring that what gets done is actually
what the client asked for and needs), but that doesn't mean they
don't ask me about web development. My main role with most of my
clients is to be their one-person IT department, and that means all
the IT questions come to me. So, if they were needing web deployment
(or something that could be addressed with web deployment), I'd be
hearing about it. Of course, a lot of the needs that web deployment
is usually an answer to are addressed for *my* clients with either
Remote Desktop to user workstations or to Windows Terminal Server.

So, I think both of your responses are incorrect.

XXXusenet (2387)

Nice video on Publishing Access 2010 database to Sharepoint 2010 Access services
http://channel9.msdn.com/learn/courses/Office2010/OfficeServicesUnit/DevelopingWithAccessServices/ Thanks for posting Bob. I'm not sure he enhanced his case by arguing that the problem with Access is when a second user tries to access the same data. Simplified to the point of inaccuracy. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Bob Alston" <bobalston9@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:CJVSm.17263$y%5.1718@newsfe03.iad... > http://channel9.msdn.com/learn/courses/Office2010/OfficeServicesUnit/DevelopingWithAccessServices/ ...

Sharepoint security settings for distributing Access 2010 databases via Sharepoint 2010
Anyone know the security settings for sharepoint 2010 relative to using Access Services to distribute an Access database? See posting here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010setup/thread/8a028a99-a00f-4f08-86a9-98c644c3695d Bob Bob Alston wrote: > Anyone know the security settings for sharepoint 2010 relative to using > Access Services to distribute an Access database? See posting here > > http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010setup/thread/8a028a99-a00f-4f08-86a9-98c644c3695d > > > Bob Surely one...

Access 2010 with Sharepoint 2010
I found this article http://sharepointproconnections.com/Articles/tabid/149/nodeid/1996/SharePoint-Wish-List--Does-SharePoint-2010-Deliver-.aspx Of key interest to me was these two points: "You can run SharePoint 2010 for development on a Vista or Windows 7 client." Hopefully this means you can test out the Access 2010 in a browser capabilities. "SharePoint 2010 supports all popular browsers and provides XHTML, WCAG 2.0 AA compliance. Level 1 browsers, which support 100 percent functionality, include 32- bit versions of IE7, IE8, and Firefox on Windows. Level 2 browsers are IE7 and IE8 x64, Safari, Firefox on other platforms. Level 2 browsers will have some limitations in rendering and behavior." Bob "Bob Alston" <bobalston9@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:KdkJm.7661$de6.5721@newsfe21.iad... >I found this article > > http://sharepointproconnections.com/Articles/tabid/149/nodeid/1996/SharePoint-Wish-List--Does-SharePoint-2010-Deliver-.aspx > > Of key interest to me was these two points: > > > "You can run SharePoint 2010 for development on a Vista or Windows 7 > client." > > Hopefully this means you can test out the Access 2010 in a browser > capabilities. > Well, the question is do you really need to go to all that trouble? I mean in traditional web development, you usually have to adopt what is called a develpment stack. that means you need to adopt a web server, ...

Restricting User Access In Access 2010 Sharepoint With Hydrated Database
I am starting to use Access 2010 publishing to Sharepoint to allow users to use hydrated accdw database copies on laptops. They can run the apps disconnected from the internet and when they open the app and are connected to the internet, they can log in and sync both directions. I am using an Office 365 P1 account and will share the database with about 10-12 users in multiple countries. Several questions: 1) I only want the users to utilize the accdw application and not directly use the tables shown in Sharepoint. Is there any Sharepoint restrictions I can implement to restrict the users ability to directly use the tables shown on the Sharepoint web site? 2) I wish the accdw would function more as an MDE where the user cannot change things. I know I can start the database without the object interface being available. I can likely use the same capability to disable the use of the left shift key when opening. a) can I also revise the ribbon to omit the edit and design commands? b) other ways to lock down the accdw to make the user only have the ability to access the data via the application itself and not be able to change the code? 3) I know how to invite users to have access to the Sharepoint site a) Is it better to email the accdw as an attachment rather than introduce the user to the web site and give detailed instructions to download the accdw? It would seem so and also not introducing them to the web interface. b) Is th...

Convert Access 2003 database file to Access 2010
How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access 2010 file format? According to Microsoft (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the print options only. How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to display? My 2002-2003 Access database file has 3 tables, 19 queries, 5 forms, and 16 reports. After I open the file up it gives the "Security Warning: Soame active content has been disabled. Click for more details." then there is a button "Enable Content". Before and after I click the "Enable Button" the file tab only has print options available. Thank you for your help, jfcby jfcby <jamesfc30@gmail.com> wrote in news:f4dc9993-afa3-4fed-8180-22786eaa7f83@l14g2000yql.googlegroups.co m: > How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access > 2010 file format? > > According to Microsoft > (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ > convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? > queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is > possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the > print options only. > > How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to > display? ...

Sharepoint 2010 permissions for Access database
Can anyone answer questions on how to set permissions for Access services in Sharepoint? I posted questions to the Sharepoint 2919 forum but have not yet gotten any answers. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010general/thread/13a3b9c0-3fb9-4ff0-b725-145d5e482473 Bob ...

Downloading the access database front end from Sharepoint 2010
Those of you who are interested in using the Access database front end to sharepoint and allowing users to download the database and use it may be interested in this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/access/thread/6e38aa54-23d4-47a9-a587-48511ee06d4f Bob Bob Alston <bobalston9@yahoo.com> wrote in news:%ByTm.143$%E6.131@newsfe06.iad: > Those of you who are interested in using the Access database front > end to sharepoint and allowing users to download the database and > use it may be interested in this thread: > > http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/access/thread/6e38 > aa54-23d4-47a9-a587-48511ee06d4f Thanks for the link. What Usenet group is that? Or is MS now not propagating all of its discussion groups via Usenet? -- David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/ usenet at dfenton dot com http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/ David W. Fenton wrote: > Bob Alston <bobalston9@yahoo.com> wrote in > news:%ByTm.143$%E6.131@newsfe06.iad: > >> Those of you who are interested in using the Access database front >> end to sharepoint and allowing users to download the database and >> use it may be interested in this thread: >> >> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/access/thread/6e38 >> aa54-23d4-47a9-a587-48511ee06d4f > > Thanks for the link. What Usenet group is that? Or is MS now not > propagati...

Open the previous version database in ms-access 2010
Hi all, When I try to open the previous version database in Ms-Access 2010 is not working. Please help me and solve my problem. Naushad "Naushad" <nhaider@kockw.com> wrote in message news:715ed09d-a319-457b-8cfb-0d48fa7ef63b@t5g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > When I try to open the previous version database in Ms-Access 2010 > is not working. Please help me and solve my problem. If you still have a copy of your old version of Access, use it to follow these steps: http://allenbrowne.com/recover.html Then try opening the database with A2010 again. -- Allen...

Using Access 2010 with Sharepoint but only running local copies of Access
Can anyone point me to good books and articles or people to exchange information with on the ins and outs etc of using Access 2010 and sharepoint but from the perspective of using sharepoint only as the central repository, sort of like the central replication hub, where all users continue to run Access on their local PCs. These "hydrated" versions of Access can run with an active connection to sharepoint or run offline/disconnected. This allows the developer to continue to use all the VBA stuff we have always used. Also all the forms and reports and queries, etc continue as they have before Sharepoint. It seems that such is a much better method of supporting geographically distributed users of an app than trying to use replication across the web ( I have never done this), more traditional replication (which I have used very successfully with laptops and three host locations) or terminal services. The Access w/ Sharepoint as described above also has nice capabilities for updating the logic in all versions of the software automatically after changes to forms and reports - as long as the user is not disconnected from Sharepoint. I guess having the ability to have web based capabilities will be of interest to some and maybe in the future I will find a client requirement where that works best. for now, I am interested in using Access and sharepoint as described above. I have modified one of my own apps and successfully created a test applicati...

Access 2007 db.accdb modified using Access 2010 can no longer be opened with Access 2007
Hi, A client sent me an Access 2007 db.accdb which I modified using 2010. The client could not open using Access 2007 "Unrecognized database format 'C:\RD\db.accdb". I tried to open using Access 2007 and got the same message. Does anyone have an explanation?? Cheers, Barry "Barry Edmund Wright" <barry.edmund.wright@witstoronto.ca> wrote > Does anyone have an explanation?? Explanation: It's easy to look back and make a version backward compatible because you can see and test with the older version (Access 2010 successfully opens the Access 2007 database) ; it's not nearly so easy to look forward and make a version (in your case Access 2007) forward compatible with whatever may be done in the _next_ version (Access 2007 not opening the database once it's been modified and saved in Access 2010). This is a known issue, discussed many times here in the newsgroup. What we don't know is whether Microsoft _thought_ they'd implemented both backward and forward compatibility in Access 2010. -- Larry Linson Microsoft Office Access MVP Co-Author, Microsoft Access Small Business Solutions, Wiley 2010 "Barry Edmund Wright" wrote in message=20 news:8d50cbbe-0804-40ed-a420-3f13d1da89f3@hs8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com...= >Hi, > >A client sent me an Access 2007 db.accdb which I modified using 2010. >The client could not open using Access 2007 "Unrecognized database >format 'C:\...

RE: How can I access data from MS Access?
Peter, I sadly admit that I was wrong. "Doesn't seem to work" is effectivly even more useless than "doesn't work". I give up. Years ago we used to get our FORTRAN card decks back from the DP center with a piece of scrap paper saysing "She No Work". top that. On 5 Feb, 19:40, "Sells, Fred" <f...@adventistcare.org> wrote: > Years ago we used to get our FORTRAN card decks back from the DP center > with a piece of scrap paper saysing "She No Work". top that. I used to use a cross-compiler (targetting some obscure single-c...

having problems with access 2010 and any database
None of the people can open a database without errors. I tried some old 2003 and 2007 databases and they won't run if they have ANY code behind it. The IT says we just installed it, it must be corrupt code or something NOTHING we did. I can open a database by holding down shift and it works but nothing else works. is this a setting in 2010 or what is causing this? Did you check the references? -- Danny Lesandrini www.lesandrini.com/datafast/ "sparks" wrote in message news:93dat75osatala5r4bi9efhe09q5c258of@4ax.com... None of the people can open a database without errors. I tried some old 2003 and 2007 databases and they won't run if they have ANY code behind it. The IT says we just installed it, it must be corrupt code or something NOTHING we did. I can open a database by holding down shift and it works but nothing else works. is this a setting in 2010 or what is causing this? Make sure that the yellow bar asking for permission to allow code to run in the database isn't showing. Often people will overlook that, and then no code an run. If that's the case, you can turn that off in the Trust Center. "sparks" <twwhopper@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:93dat75osatala5r4bi9efhe09q5c258of@4ax.com... > None of the people can open a database without errors. > I tried some old 2003 and 2007 databases and they won't run if they > have ANY code behind it. > The IT ...

Print Excel 2010 Sheet to PDF from Access 2010
Hi, I have an Access app that I need to do the following: 1. Open an Excel file 2. Change a value 3. Print a sheet to pdf 4. Close Excel file Because the production machine is Office 2007, I am using late binding and = don't have a reference to the Excel object library. Because of this, the code is failing at Step 3: xl.Activesheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=3DxlTypePDF, FileName:=3DTargetFil= e, OpenAfterPublish:=3DFalse I get a "Variable not defined" error highlighting the "xlTypePDF" value. As= soon as I add a reference to the Excel object library the code compiles an= d runs correctly. Full code is as follows: Dim xl As Object =20 'INDIVIDUAL STORES FIRST dbRS.Open "SELECT ReportGroup2.TemplateFile, ReportGroup3.ReportGro= upName, ReportGroup3.DeliveryList FROM ReportGroup3 INNER JOIN ReportGroup2= ON ReportGroup3.ReportGroup2 =3D ReportGroup2.ID WHERE ReportGroup3.Inacti= ve =3D FALSE", CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly If dbRS.RecordCount > 0 Then dbRS.MoveFirst While Not dbRS.EOF ReportFile =3D dbRS!TemplateFile Set xl =3D CreateObject("Excel.Application") xl.Workbooks.Open (ReportFile) With xl .Range("StoreName") =3D dbRS!ReportGroupNam= e .Sheets("Practic...

Access 2010 Save & Publish crashes Access
I am using a copy of Microsoft Office Professional Plus subscription version database. I am running on a Windows XP sp1 virtual machine running on a Vista Ultimate host. 1 gb memory assigned to the virtual machine. Vista has 3 gig total. Whenever I click on "Save & Publish" Access 2010 crashes. sometimes I can see the screen which should come up before the crash and sometimes not. I have installed sp1. I have also tried removing Office, re-downloading it and reinstalling it and updating with sp1. No joy. On a dual boot windows xp, using the same install disk for windows xp, and using the same downloaded Office s/w, I do not encounter the problem. Anyone seen this before? Is there anywhere where Access would log information about the crash that I could use to figure out what is happening? Bob "BobAlston" wrote in message news:j0k9fi$8lb$1@dont-email.me... >Whenever I click on "Save & Publish" Access 2010 crashes. sometimes I = can=20 >see the screen which should come up before the crash and sometimes not. >I have installed sp1. I have also tried removing Office, = re-downloading it=20 >and reinstalling it and updating with sp1. No joy. There been some issues with sp1. In my case, doing a de-compile on the=20 application does the trick for me. I not sure if you can just place a shortcut of msaccess.exe in the = sendto=20 dir, add the /decompile to the path. In win7, this gives me a right = click,=20 t...

Convert Access 2010 to Access 2003 under windows 7
This is further information on my posting about converting Access 2010 to Access 2003 I have just removed and re-installed Office 2010 32 bit on my Windows 7 machine. If I create a completely blank database (Database9.AccDb) - no tables, no forms, no VBA and try to Save & Publish in Access 2003 format, I get an error message message "Could not use 'C:\Phil Data\Access\Database9.AccDb'; file already in use" . If I add any tables, the error is the same I have Access 2010 running under Windows XP on another machine, and the conversion of a genuine BE Db (Tables only) went without a hitch. Anyone else found the same problem? Phil Phil was thinking very hard : > This is further information on my posting about converting Access 2010 to > Access 2003 I have just removed and re-installed Office 2010 32 bit on my > Windows 7 machine. If I create a completely blank database (Database9.AccDb) > - no tables, no forms, no VBA and try to Save & Publish in Access 2003 > format, I get an error message message "Could not use 'C:\Phil > Data\Access\Database9.AccDb'; file already in use" . If I add any tables, the > error is the same > > I have Access 2010 running under Windows XP on another machine, and the > conversion of a genuine BE Db (Tables only) went without a hitch. Anyone else > found the same problem? Phil Sounds like a Windows 7 Permissions issue to me. Are you an Admin on this machine? Does the Folde...

Re: <Another Pluh>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
From: "PeteVickers" <pete@GUI-INNOVATIONS.COM> > Hi, > forgive the 2nd plug, but we have just uploaded the NewsWire review to the > web site, or use the direct link > http://www.gui-innovations.com/NewsWire0209.pdf > "Paul H. Christidis" <phchristidis@raytheon.com> wrote in message > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, > > and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL > > server or an ORACLE database on a different host? <plug> MPE/iX Enterpr...

Flexigrid worked in Access 2000 but not under Windows 7 and not Access 2010
I am learning that using Activex controls in Access is NOT a good idea! I need to display data from several queries in a grid with both row and column sizes determined by the query results. This worked in Access 2000 by populating a Flexigrid control on a form. Windows 7 and Access 2010 refuse to have anything to do with the flexigrid controls! What alternatives do I have, barring creating a new table and re-designing the form 'on the hoof' to accomodate its fields? Sorry if this is a really silly question but I am entirely self-taught in Access. Perhaps this will point you towards a ...

Web resources about - Re: Access 2010 with Sharepoint 2010 - comp.databases.ms-access

Home - SharePoint Buzz
Turn on more accessible mode Turn off more accessible mode Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content To navigate through the Ribbon, use standard ...

Sharepoint Outlook Email Solution - EmailFiler
Tired of uploading emails to SharePoint one by one? EmailFiler is a SharePoint email solution that lets you drag emails to SharePoint from within ...

SharePoint Magazine
Your Premier Source for SharePoint Information

Microsoft SharePoint Workspace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2010 (14.0.4761.1000) / June 15, 2010 ; 3 years ago ( 2010-06-15 ) where different organizations do not share a common security infrastructure ...

SharePoint - Collaboration Software for the Enterprise
SharePoint collaboration software helps simplify business intelligence, content management, search, and sharing for intranet and internet sites. ...

Formotus: Business forms for data collection and SharePoint on the App Store on iTunes
Get Formotus: Business forms for data collection and SharePoint on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Todd Klindt's SharePoint Podcast 253 - Long Time Listener First Time Caller - YouTube
In tonight's podcast I talk a lot about Windows 10. How to install it, where to install it, ways it won't let me install it, the whole gamut. ...

International Airlines Group deploys Office 365 - IAG, lync, Sharepoint, Yammer, chief information officer ...
The International Airlines Group (IAG) has deployed Microsoft Office 365 as its business communication solution to enable anytime, anywhere collaboration ...

Six Reasons to Empower Your SharePoint Citizen Developers - CIO
Information Technology strategy insight for senior IT management - resources to understand and leverage information technology.

SharePoint-Yammer integration promising, but a long-term plan - applications, Microsoft, Yammer, software ...
CIOs and IT managers tracking the progress of the SharePoint-Yammer integration got more details about the road map this week, but the updates ...