Records Getting Deleted from Key Table

I have a database with a split front end/back end.  There is a key
table in the back end called Catalog, and it is sort of a central key
table for all sorts of things.  It's a list of all the jobs that have
ever been worked on at our company.  Records are getting lost out of
this table, but I have no way of figuring out how they're being
deleted.  Records should NEVER be deleted out of this table.  They can
be marked as inactive, or something like that, but nowhere, in any code
do I ever display this table for the users, and allow them edit access,
and nowhere in the VB code I have written do I ever delete records out
of that table.

One hint, I don't know if this means anything, but the records always
seem to dissapear off the TOP of the table.  It's always the first
record in the table that gets deleted.  We put 20 dummy lines at the
top of the table just to keep real jobs from dissapearing.  This works
pretty well.  I also have written a routine that makes a copy of the
catalog table, and then the next time you go into the table, it
compares the current table with the snapshot that was made, and if it
finds records in the older snapshot that aren't in the current table,
then it re-appends these records in.

This whole thing is a little too flaky for my liking.  I'm unaware of
any sort of tracking that Access has for this type of thing, like SQL
has some sort of mechanism that you could figure out who was deleting,
or what program, or workstation, or at least some clue as to what was
happening.  I am without a paddle in this situation.  It's an important
table, and my fixes of having dummy records, and the "did any records
dissapear?" routine, while they do seem to be working, I'd much rather
dig down and find out what is happening here.

Any suggestings would be helpful!

-BrianDP

0
bdp222 (20)

BrianDP wrote:
> I have a database with a split front end/back end.  There is a key
> table in the back end called Catalog, and it is sort of a central key
> table for all sorts of things.  It's a list of all the jobs that have
> ever been worked on at our company.  Records are getting lost out of
> this table, but I have no way of figuring out how they're being
> deleted.  Records should NEVER be deleted out of this table.  They can
> be marked as inactive, or something like that, but nowhere, in any code
> do I ever display this table for the users, and allow them edit access,
> and nowhere in the VB code I have written do I ever delete records out
> of that table.
>
> One hint, I don't know if this means anything, but the records always
> seem to dissapear off the TOP of the table.  It's always the first
> record in the table that gets deleted.  We put 20 dummy lines at the
> top of the table just to keep real jobs from dissapearing.  This works
> pretty well.  I also have written a routine that makes a copy of the
> catalog table, and then the next time you go into the table, it
> compares the current table with the snapshot that was made, and if it
> finds records in the older snapshot that aren't in the current table,
> then it re-appends these records in.
>
> This whole thing is a little too flaky for my liking.  I'm unaware of
> any sort of tracking that Access has for this type of thing, like SQL
> has some sort of mechanism that you could figure out who was deleting,
> or what program, or workstation, or at least some clue as to what was
> happening.  I am without a paddle in this situation.  It's an important
> table, and my fixes of having dummy records, and the "did any records
> dissapear?" routine, while they do seem to be working, I'd much rather
> dig down and find out what is happening here.
>
> Any suggestings would be helpful!
>
> -BrianDP

0
me2968 (1474)
3/1/2006 8:55:37 PM
Hello.

Just a point of reference. Is there any records that are being
deleted in any other table. If so, maybe you can check in the
relationship window and see if a link has been created between
that table and the main table of reference. If so, then check
and see if the "Cascade Delete Related Records" has been
selected. If so, deselect it.

Just my two cents worth.

Regards

0
raycait04 (26)
3/2/2006 12:57:34 AM
No, no other records that I can tell, are being deleted from any other
tables.

There is one program that is run every morning, where they enter labor
transactions, and as it does, it opens this catalog table, and verifies
that the transaction they are entering actually has a job that exists
in the catalog table.

That program appears to be the culprit, because it's only in the early
morning when they're running that application this happens.  The woman
who runs the program is some sort of speed demon as well, and gets 5
fields ahead of the entry program, so if something happens, and the
program breaks in the middle of her entry, we can't see where it broke.

I think it's that program, and I think something is happening that she
types SO fast that she doesn't see if she makes a little mistake, the
program breaks, and somehow she over-writes that record.  I can't see
it any other way.

I suppose a solution would be for them to match the jobs against a copy
of the master table, that way if the records got deleted, they would
only be from a copy of the real table, not from the real thing.

-Brian

0
bdp222 (20)

deleting records from MS Access table
I have some xml data that I stick into MS Access tables. I can't export the to Access mdb because replacing the table will destroy the relationships in the Access table. A couple of times a month, I get new xml data. This data is cumulative, so, I can replace the whole table. So, the solution is to PROC APPEND the xml data into the Access tables, but only the shell of the table--no observations else I would have dupes. What I need to do then is remove all observations from the Access tables before I append. I read something in the online docs that may thwart my plans: You cannot use...

How to delete a record in an Ms Access Database
Dear Community, I connected Matlab with an Ms Access databse. I already found out how to import, export and update Data my Ms Access Database via the Database Tollbox. But how can I delete a record in Ms Access via Matlab? Thanks for any help! Eric "Eric " > Dear Community, > > I connected Matlab with an Ms Access databse. I already found out how to import, export and update Data my Ms Access Database via the Database Tollbox. But how can I delete a record in Ms Access via Matlab? > > Thanks for any help! > > Eric exec(conn,'delete from myTable whe...

Re: deleting records from MS Access table
Jeremy: Would you consider a slightly different strategy? - copy the metadata shell of the table; - delete the table; - rename the empty shell of the table to the name of the original table; - append the new data to the shell. The SQL create table new like old; copies the shell of the table. The DROP TABLE old; query deletes the old table. CREATE TABLE old FROM new; renames the new table. Enclose the queries that operate on metadata (do not yield a tabular object) in an EXECUTE() function. I suspect that this strategy will work faster than one that requires deletions at the row level. Sig -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Miller, Jeremy T. Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 5:45 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: deleting records from MS Access table I have some xml data that I stick into MS Access tables. I can't export the to Access mdb because replacing the table will destroy the relationships in the Access table. A couple of times a month, I get new xml data. This data is cumulative, so, I can replace the whole table. So, the solution is to PROC APPEND the xml data into the Access tables, but only the shell of the table--no observations else I would have dupes. What I need to do then is remove all observations from the Access tables before I append. I read something in the online docs that may thwart my plans: You cannot use DELETE FROM on a table accessed via an engine that d...

how to get the specified number of records from ms access database
Hi there, Can anybody help me in, how to get the specified number of (say 35 at a time) from ms acess database. Please let me know the steps or idea. Thanks dhaniram@gmail.com wrote: > Hi there, > > Can anybody help me in, how to get the specified number of (say 35 at a > time) from ms acess database. Please let me know the steps or idea. > > Thanks > e.g. select top 35 * from table -- [Oo=w=oO] ...

Re: deleting records from MS Access table #7 636355
Jeremy, Try: proc sql; connect to oledb as test (provider="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" properties=("data source"="C:\test.mdb")); execute (delete from Table1) by test; disconnect from test; quit; Francis R Harvey III WB 303, (301)294-3952 harveyf1@westat.com > -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@listserv.vt.edu] On > Behalf Of Miller, Jeremy T. > Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 5:45 PM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.VT.EDU > Subject: deleting records from MS Access table > > > I have som...

Re: deleting records from MS Access table #8 1544361
Thanks Sig, Tried that. The problem is ACCESS. I have relationships set up. If you erase one table, all of the other relationships dissappear and I have to rebuild them. Thanks. -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Sigurd Hermansen Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 6:09 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: deleting records from MS Access table Jeremy: Would you consider a slightly different strategy? - copy the metadata shell of the table; - delete the table; - rename the empty shell of the table to the name of the original table; - append the new data to the shell. The SQL create table new like old; copies the shell of the table. The DROP TABLE old; query deletes the old table. CREATE TABLE old FROM new; renames the new table. Enclose the queries that operate on metadata (do not yield a tabular object) in an EXECUTE() function. I suspect that this strategy will work faster than one that requires deletions at the row level. Sig -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Miller, Jeremy T. Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 5:45 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: deleting records from MS Access table I have some xml data that I stick into MS Access tables. I can't export the to Access mdb because replacing the table will destroy the relationships in the Access table. A couple of times a month, I get new xml data. This dat...

Re: deleting records from MS Access table #7 1544357
Hi Jeremy, If, as you say in last paragraph, you want to delete ALL obs from the MSAccess table then saving the table structure and blowing away the entire table and then put the empty structure back into place should do you fine. * point SAS to MSAccess database ; libname MyMdb odbc noprompt="DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb); DBQ=c:\temp\sample data.mdb"; * grab MSAccess table structure ; data HoldTableStructure; set MyMdb.MyTable; stop; run; * delete entire MSAccess Table ; proc sql; drop table MyMdb.MyTable; quit; * copy empty structure back to MSAccess ; data MyMdb.MyTable; set HoldTableStructure; run; Hope this is helpful, Mark Terjeson Reporting, Analysis, and Procurement Section Information Services Division Department of Social and Health Services State of Washington mailto:terjem@dshs.wa.gov -----Original Message----- From: Miller, Jeremy T. [mailto:zyp9@CDC.GOV] Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 2:45 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: deleting records from MS Access table I have some xml data that I stick into MS Access tables. I can't export the to Access mdb because replacing the table will destroy the relationships in the Access table. A couple of times a month, I get new xml data. This data is cumulative, so, I can replace the whole table. So, the solution is to PROC APPEND the xml data into the Access tables, but only the shell of the table--no observations els...

Re: deleting records from MS Access table #8 636356
Jeremy, Without knowing your export method to Access, it is difficult to offer suggestions. However, you might want to try using the dhms function, using 0s for the hour, minute, and second parameters, to convert your SAS date to a datetime value prior to the export. Francis R Harvey III WB 303, (301)294-3952 harveyf1@westat.com > -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@listserv.vt.edu] On > Behalf Of Miller, Jeremy T. > Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 11:07 PM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.VT.EDU > Subject: Re: deleting records from MS Access table ...

Delete a record from a table in a Database with Database Connectivity
I can't find the function from the Database Connectivity library that allows me to delete a record from a table of the database. I tried to use DB Tools Free Object.vi function but this one deletes only the table created with a query. &nbsp; Thankyou Hi, I have the same problem to delete a record&nbsp;from a table in a Database. I couldn't understand your answers very well. Can anyone give some more&nbsp;details? If you&nbsp;already have got the solution, could you let&nbsp;me know? Thank you very much! Jane&nbsp; I have used the sql query as described above a...

MS Access VBA making multiple tables in database from a main table.
I have a database table called "tbl_personal" and struggling to VBA program a bit of code to create multiple tables in a database from the main "tbl_personal" table. In this case the 'color' column is the field I would like to look at. 1. Identify the number of unique records in column 'color' 2. For each color record that is label as red in the "tbl_personal" table, create a table called 'red' and populate with all red records in from the "tbl_personal" table. 3.Then move onto the next unique color and repeat the whole process again. 4. When all unique color tables are created in MS Access database end with a msg "batch process done" name surname age color country aa aaa 1 red UK bb bbb 10 green USA cc ccc 20 blue China dd ddd 30 red Germany ee eee 40 green France ff fff 1 blue Italy gg ggg 20 red Spain hh hhh 40 yellow Canada ii iii 34 black Italy =85 Is this doable automatically in MS Access? Many thanks. brenda Are you sure you want to do this? I would expect 3 tables vis: Table of Personel with PersonelID, Suname, FirstName, ColourID, CountryID & DateOfBirth (Age will be out of date next birthday and should be calculated), Table of Colours ColourID & Colour Table of Countries CountryID & Country. You can then use simple queries to return all the red people or people who live in UK. Am I missing something? Phil <bbcdancer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:495c4ca6...

How to indicate which table's records get deleted in a 2-table query.
I had a table (tblReturnReceipts) with 47 records and I wanted 18 of its records deleted. So I thought I would be smart and make another table (a temporary junk table) named BadRRIDs and use it in the following Select query... SELECT tblReturnReceipts.RtnRcptID, tblReturnReceipts.CorrespID, tblReturnReceipts.DateSigned, tblReturnReceipts.OLA, tblReturnReceipts.OLA_ID, tblReturnReceipts.RRTDstamp, tblReturnReceipts.RRuser, tblReturnReceipts.Tracked FROM BadRRIDs INNER JOIN tblReturnReceipts ON BadRRIDs.RRID = tblReturnReceipts.RtnRcptID; I wanted to run the query, which lists all the records in tblReturnReceipts targeted for deletion, select all the rows with the mouse and press the delete key. For the life of me, I can only delete the 18 records in the trash table - BadRRIDs. How do I tell the query to delete the records in the OTHER table? On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:52:58 -0500, MLH <CRCI@NorthState.net> wrote: Delete * from MainTable where ID in (select ID from BadTable) -Tom. >I had a table (tblReturnReceipts) with 47 records and I wanted 18 >of its records deleted. So I thought I would be smart and make >another table (a temporary junk table) named BadRRIDs and use >it in the following Select query... > >SELECT tblReturnReceipts.RtnRcptID, tblReturnReceipts.CorrespID, >tblReturnReceipts.DateSigned, tblReturnReceipts.OLA, >tblReturnReceipts.OLA_ID, tblReturnReceipts.RRTDstamp, >tblReturnReceipts.RRuser, tblReturnReceipts.Tracked FROM Ba...

how to get some table defination from the access database?
Hi I can get the table defination from the Oracle database by the SQL command SELECT COLUMN_ID, COLUMN_NAME, DATA_TYPE, DATA_LENGTH, DATA_PRECISION, DATA_SCALE FROM ALL_TAB_COLUMNS WHERE OWNER = xxx AND TABLE_NAME = xxx ORDER BY COLUMN_ID Does the Access database have the same functoin table like ALL_TAB_COLUMNS ? Or how can I get the table information in Access database? Thanks a lot. ...

Deleting records in one table having a matching related record in another table?
DELETE tblPreliminaryVINs.* FROM tblPreliminaryVINs INNER JOIN tblVehicleJobs ON tblPreliminaryVINs.PVIN = tblVehicleJobs.SerialNum; The above SQL does not work for me. I get an error I cannot delete the record(s) because of READONLY and PERMISSIONS related issues. I can hilite (select) the record in the table and delete it. I can use the following SQL to delete record(s) in tblPreliminaryVINs DELETE tblPreliminaryVINs.* FROM tblPreliminaryVINs; But I really only want to delete records in tblPreliminaryVINs whose [PVIN] field has a matching value somewhere in blVehicleJobs's [SerialNum] field. How do I construct that SQL? try it this way: DELETE * from FROM tblPreliminaryVINs Where PVIN In (Select SerialNum From tblVehicleJobs) Rich *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** That was perfect, Rich. Many thx. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx On 26 Jul 2006 15:13:09 GMT, Rich P <rpng123@aol.com> wrote: >try it this way: > >DELETE * from FROM tblPreliminaryVINs Where PVIN In (Select SerialNum >From tblVehicleJobs) > > >Rich > >*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** ...

Get record data from table and record counts from 3 other related tables
Hi everyone I'm writing a simple intranet app to search through company contact information. I have a main table called companies, then a few related tables: contacts, adbookings, invoices all related by a company_id I have a simple SELECT query which gets the company information and displays it on the page: SELECT `companies`.* FROM `companies` WHERE `companies`.`company_id`='19796' LIMIT 0, 1 But I would also like to return the number of related records from the contacts, adbookings and invoices tables at the same time. I know how I could do it to return the related record c...

Delete one instance of a record in a table for each instance of that record in a 2nd table.SQL
I have been searching many postings and I cant seem to find anyone that has this answer so I decided to post. I am using SQL (Transact-SQL).If I have 2 tables with columns acct_num,activity_date,and pay_amt and I want to delete one instance of a record in table 1 for every instance of that record in table 2 how could I do that. For example. Table 1 ----------- acct activity_date pay_amt 123 5/1/2004 50.00 123 5/1/2004 50.00 123 5/1/2004 50.00 123 5/1/2004 50.00 123 5/1/2004 50.00 Table 2 ----------- acct activity_d...

Get Records from a 2.DB with MS-Access
Hello, I have a Ms-Access application. All data stand in a Oracle data base. The Oracle data base has a DatabaseLink to a second Oracle database. I would like to get records from a table in the 2. Oracle data base. Like: "Select * From Tabel@SecondDB " But it does not work Hello, Sam, near 16:50 13-Jul from samsung@gmx.de: > Hello, > > I have a Ms-Access application. > > All data stand in a Oracle data base. > > The Oracle data base has a DatabaseLink to a second Oracle database. > > I would like to get records from a table in the 2. Oracle data base. > > Like: > > "Select * From Tabel@SecondDB " > > But it does not work On the first database: create view v_tabel as select * from tabel@SecondDB; Then try to "select * from v_tabel". Other option is to configure tnsnames alias for second database on machine with application and configure datasource in your application directly from it (attach the table). -- wbr, Wit. ...

Delete records in MS Access reappear afterward
I'm experiencing a very strange problem. My application is MS Access front-end and MS SQL server back-end database. I have a SQL statement that deletes records from a table after an export process. The problem is occasionally when the delete statement is executed, these records no longer display on List Box (not even in the MS Access link table). But when close and reopen the form, those records reappear. It almost like MS SQL server rejected or reversed my SQL command. Any help is greatly appreciated. Scott Hi Scott, From what I have gathered - you have an ODBC linked table in Access from a sql server. You export records from this linked table and then execute some command to delete these records from the linked table. But after closing the Access app and reopening the app the records reappear. I have a few questions: 1) are the records reappearing cumulatively? like you export records on day1 - they reappear on day2 so you export the same records plus new records and manually delete the old ones from the day2 export - and on day3 you now have records from day1 and day2... 2) how are you deleting the records? Are you using a delete query against the linked table or using a DoCmd.RunSql "Delete * From your tbl" statement? Or are you using a server based stored procedure? Rich *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** On Jul 17, 8:14=A0am, Rich P <rpng...@aol.com> wrote: > Hi Scott, > > From what I have gathered ...

How to get the name of selected table in MS access
I&nbsp;am using MS access database. If I select any particular table in access DB, is it possible to get that table name in Labview? In short, I want to display the name of table which is selected in Access on front panel. &nbsp;Also, same way I want to display the name of field in table, selected in DB. Is it practically possible?? Thanks for ur help in advance ...

Deleting Table Inside MS Access 2010
Hi...I had created a table by using ODBC connection to a SQL Server 2008 R2= .. I can view the table contents. No problem there. Now, I need to delete th= e table from the interface of Access 2010. I do see Delete option inside ri= ght click choices. If I select this right click Delete choice, will it dele= te the table from the SQL Server 2008 R2? If so, how can I delete the said = table inside Access interface without deleting it from the source SQL serve= r? Any correct response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Victor vr3357@gmail.com wrote: > Hi...I had created a table by using ODBC connection to a SQL Server > 2008 R2. I can view the table contents. No problem there. Now, I need > to delete the table from the interface of Access 2010. I do see > Delete option inside right click choices. If I select this right > click Delete choice, will it delete the table from the SQL Server > 2008 R2? No, it will delete the table link, not the table itself. vr3357@gmail.com wrote: > Hi...I had created a table by using ODBC connection to a SQL Server > 2008 R2. I can view the table contents. No problem there. Now, I need > to delete the table from the interface of Access 2010. I do see > Delete option inside right click choices. If I select this right > click Delete choice, will it delete the table from the SQL Server > 2008 R2? If so, how can I delete the said table inside Access > interface without deleting ...

Which table's records get deleted?
I have two tables with a common field containing an automobile VIN code. If I create a query putting both tables in the QBE grid and link the common field between the two tables and drop one single field from one ofthe tables for display purposes, I get a list of records having common values in both tables. If I select all rows in the dynaset and press delete key - records from the same table each time are deleted. I wanted them to be deleted from the other table (of course). How do I control that? PVIN and SerialNum are the common fields in the two tables. SELECT tblPreliminaryVINs.PVIN FROM tblPreliminaryVINs INNER JOIN tblVehicleJobs ON tblPreliminaryVINs.PVIN = tblVehicleJobs.SerialNum; I forgot to mention that if you dbl-click the join in the QBE grid (between the two tables) the join type is 1... Only include rows where the joined fields from both tables are equal. Also, I wanted to ask - since it doesn't matter which table's fields are brought down for display, when you "select all records" and press the delete key, Access just decides which table it wants to delete from and does it. It doesn't delete from both tables. It only deletes from one and its always the same one in my tests. How does Access choose which one it wants to delete? One more thing worthy of note is that I get an error telling me "couldn't delete from specified tables" if I run this delete query... DELETE tblPreliminaryVINs.* FROM tblPreliminaryVINs INNER...

why do i get a key conflict when I add a record to a linked table?
Hi, if I add a record to a table in my database, everything goes well. When I then place the table in another database and link to it from my database I suddenly get a key conflict when I add a record. Nothing else changed. How to solve? thanks for any help Michiel must have been a glitch of Access.... and it took me quite some days to find out. The autonumbering field must have caused the key conflict I finally solved it by removing the field from the table, compress the database and add the same autonumbering field. Bizarre. As if it confused what I did with synchronization of a replicated database. michiel "mick" <noreply@nonsense.zz> wrote in message news:4616273b$0$27355$e4fe514c@dreader15.news.xs4all.nl... > Hi, > > if I add a record to a table in my database, everything goes well. > When I then place the table in another database and link to it from my > database I suddenly get a key conflict when I add a record. > Nothing else changed. > How to solve? > > thanks for any help > > Michiel > ...

How to read MS Access Database Table Created Date
Hi, may need some help here. I am using Borland Delphi Dev 2006. I am able to read the list of tables names in MS Access 2003 database using ADOConnection1.GetTableNames, but I am trying to read the list of tables with their created/modified dates, appreciate some help here please. Thanks. Xan. ...

Web resources about - Records Getting Deleted from Key Table - comp.databases.ms-access

Récord - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Record
Great new podcast co-hosted by Chris Parrish and Brent Simmons: The Record brings you the stories you should know about the Mac and Cocoa development ...

Lompoc Record - Lompoc, California News
The first time Jerry Brown was governor of California, he earned the nickname “Gov. Moonbeam.” It was, after all, the tail-end of the Hippie ...

Palmer refinery records ammonium 'breach'
Clive Palmer's embattled north Queensland nickel refinery could face enforcement action from the government after two creeks were found to contain ...

Record temperatures for March a warning of what's to come, say experts
Record-breaking autumn heat is just a warning of what's to come if Australia doesn't act immediately to combat climate change.

Perth Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi justifies records in new travel row
PERTH Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi has outlined her defence for not properly declaring acc&shy;ommodation gifted to her when she attended World Cities ...

Record temperatures for March a warning of what's to come, say experts
Record-breaking autumn heat is just a warning of what's to come if Australia doesn't act immediately to combat climate change.

Record-breaking autumn temperatures points to a hotter future, environmentalists warn
Record hot weather across Australia in autumn could have long-ranging consequences, the Climate Council says.

Watch live: Record-setting NASA astronaut launching to space station
... by Russian astronauts. Before the end of his present mission (after 158 days, specifically), Williams will surpass Scott Kelly for the US record ...

Woman earns Guinness record for pulling bus with her hair
... , Videos Asha Rani just pulled a double-decker London bus using her hair. There were 32 people on board. And yes, it's a Guinness World Record. ...