Remote desktop #3

Dear All,

DB on the server opened by remote desktop.

I want only 1 user at the same time to be able to open the DB by clicking a
shortcut-icon.

Thanks,

Filip

"Filips Benoit" <benoit.filips@pandora.be> wrote in message
> Dear All,
>
> DB on the server opened by remote desktop.
>
> I want only 1 user at the same time to be able to open the DB by clicking
> shortcut-icon.

In the shortcut include the /excl argument.  That will open the file
exclusively.  First user in will automatically lock out anyone else.

The shortcut has to point to the Access executable to include arguments,
not just to the file.

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message.     Send instead to...

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
11/16/2004 2:07:01 PM
Shortcut-Target = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE"
and then?
Where do i put the file-argument and the /excl argument?

Thanks

> Shortcut-Target = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE"
> and then?
> Where do i put the file-argument and the /excl argument?

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "Path to mdb" /excl

The Help topic is named...

"Start Microsoft Access with command-line options"

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message.     Send instead to...
RBrandt    at       Hunter      dot      com

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)

MS Access Database with Remote Desktop
Dear Access Guru's, Hopefully you can help me (as Microsoft don't seem to be able to) We have an Access database on a Windows 2003 server with 5 CALS in our office. Access is loaded onto the server. We have 2 PC's connected to it on the LAN We are planning to open 2 remote offices and we want to be able to use the Access database at the remote offices as well as the local office. I have tested the remote desktop to the server and it allows me to connect and use the database. How many remote desktops can I run to the server simultaneously? Do i need terminal services? Can I use Small Business Server? If I run 2 plus the office connections can we all use the same database at the same time? Many thanks James I don't have an answer about "remote desktop" without Terminal Server, but Access plays nicely with Windows Terminal Services. Each user should have their own private disk space, and be running their own copy of the front-end part of the application. There are too many variables to tell you how many users can concurrently use a database, some factors are: the hardware, software, and network environment, and the requirements, design, and implementation of the database application. If all are near-perfect, we have reports of over 100 concurrent users; we have also had reports of "Access falling over with as few as 4 users" but I have to guess that in those cases, every factor was just about as far from perfect as it c...

ACCESS Database #3 #3
Hi, This is Mac , - Recruitment and Resources from SancroSoft USA Inc. We have an urgent requirement as follows: Please respond with resumes in MS-Word Format with the following details to Mac@sancrosoftusa.com Full Name : Location : Contact Number : Email : Availability : Rate / Hour : Visa Status : REQUIREMENT DETAILS :-- ACCESS Database Location: Jersey City NJ Duration: 3 months JD: =95 Design and development ACCESS database and UI Screens using Microsoft technology (VB/ASP.NET) =95 Backup of ACCESS database and restoring on need be basis =95 Documenting the design and screens used. =95 Documenting all the database aspects =95 Unit Testing of the developed code Thanks & Regards Mac Smith Business Development Manager The power of focus SancroSoft USA INC 4944 Sunrise Blvd, Suite B-4 || Fair Oaks, CA 95628 Phone : 916-671-5589 || Alt: 916-671-8082|| Fax: 916-200-0305 E-Mail : Mac@sancrosoftusa.com || www.sancrosoftusa.com ...

running MS Access using Remote Desktop
Hello all, Has anyone out there tried running an Access adp file using Remote Desktop/Terminal Services from a pocket PC? I was able to connect to the desktop PC but when I tried running Access, it gave me the error that "A video adapter resolution of at least 640x480 pixels is required to run Microsoft Access." Is there any way of getting around this? Does anyone have a better solution for using an Access DB from a pocket PC rather than using RD/TS? Maybe it's our network, but when using RD/TS, my connectiong keeps getting dropped after about 5 minutes. I'm running Win CE 4.10 and Win 2k with SR2 from my desktop. Thanks in advance. Al Hi Al, Your problem has been proved. I ran PocketPC via USB via Desktop PC cable modem to the my PC in the Office. Ran an .ade / adp (I have Access 2002 and 2000 there but I think 2000 prefers to launch when you double click on a document). Got your 640x480 message. Connection via Terminal Services is steady, no drop outs - there are a few km between my PocketPC and the Office PC. If you are using .adp, you are obviously using SQL Server engine in the back end. Looks like the most promising way would be to design server scripted web pages to expose your data as web pages and use PocketIE to do your work. I have not tried VNC - that might get around that 640x480 issue but I believe VNC would generate more traffic than Terminal Services. Hope This Helps Ananda "Al" <b_i...

using a remote MySQL Database in MS Access
Hello Probably, this is a beginners question, but I am stuck on it. I am trying to use a MYSQL Database on a remote server from inside an MS Access program. Therefore I have to create an ODBC data source. Now is my question: Where can I do this. I suppose it is the Windows Start | Control Panel | Admin Tools | Data Sources menu, but there, I cannot find what selections I have to make for a remote MySQL Database. I don't have a "MySQL" driver or something. Thanks for any help. LR lucky wrote: > Hello > > Probably, this is a beginners question, but I am stuck on it. > I am trying to use a MYSQL Database on a remote server from > inside an MS Access program. > > Therefore I have to create an ODBC data source. > Now is my question: Where can I do this. > > I suppose it is the Windows Start | Control Panel | Admin Tools | Data Sources > menu, but there, I cannot find what selections I have to make for a remote > MySQL Database. I don't have a "MySQL" driver or something. Go to Google.com & enter the following as a search string: "mysql driver" You get thousands of references. -- MGFoster:::mgf00 <at> earthlink <decimal-point> net Oakland, CA (USA) ...

MS Access remote access from ADO
Hi all, first of all, sorry, my English is horrible. I have a local Borland Visual C++ application that uses an Access .mdb file as DB. I need to make this application distributed, with a centralized DB and many clients accesing to it. Could somebody suggest a way to do this if: - If possible, I want to keep Access as DB, because I would have probably to change many queries and I don�t have enough time to do it. If possible, we won�t to use a database server, like MSDE or MySQL (as you can see, we can afford a licensed product as SQLServer). - I can connect a client to a .mdb file in another machine in my LAN, so I know I can solve the problem by using a VPN, but we want to avoid it, too. Is there any way to connect my program to a remote .mdb file (through the Internet) without using a database server? Is there any way to do what I want? Perhaps it's impossible.... Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks and sorry again, Besbello On 3 Mar 2005 10:31:47 -0800, besbello@gmail.com (Besbello) wrote: Right. You first tie both of my hands behind my back, and then you're asking for my help? Translation: don't say "we can't do this, and can't do that". Those are (hopefully) conscious decisions, and who makes them should be willing to live with the consequences. Access db's can only successfully be accessed over the LAN or using some form of terminal services. -Tom. >Hi all, >first of all, sorry, my English is horrible. >I have...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions #3
Rob: MS Access imports data easily from dBase (*.dbf) files. I see no advantage in moving to SAS for that feature, especially if you would prefer to use the basic DE form controls in MS Access to develop what should be a simple DE capability. Although ODBC transfers of data from MS Access (*.mdb) databases has some pitfalls, as does OLEdb or other middleware (in particular, conversions of integers to floating point numbers, date/time values, and nulls/missings), a bit of Q/C will help you iron out the wrinkles and set up a reliable connection. It often helps as well to separate a data collection operation from a data analysis group. Even on a small scale, periodic publishing of analytic datasets usually works better than giving researchers continuous access to primary data files. Continuous access makes it more difficult to check estimates for consistency and to replicate earlier results. A separate database for data collection operations also makes it easier to implement a sound database design for operations. Data analysts prefer to restructure data to fit analytic procedures, and have little appreciation of data integrity constraints and data validation. Fortunately you do not have to choose between MS Access (or another DBMS) and SAS. SAS has particular value on the analytic side of your project(s). Access to a data source with a good relational database design guarantees that a SAS programmer can restructure data quickly and accurately into the structures that analysts ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Form size question with Access forms, remote desktop, and MS Surface Pro
Hi, I know this is a stretch to ask this question, but: We have an Access 2010 application hosted using Remote Desktop. When we access forms from the desktop they look like they should. And from an iPad. However, a client is using their Surface Pro the forms are so tiny that she can't use them when accessing our application "on the cloud". Otherwise, they look fine on a Surface Pro when running it off the cloud. Does anyone have an idea? I do not think there is anything that the people that are hosting our software can do. -paulw On Monday, 29 February 2016 17:30:11 UTC, PW wrote: > Hi, > > I know this is a stretch to ask this question, but: > > We have an Access 2010 application hosted using Remote Desktop. When > we access forms from the desktop they look like they should. And from > an iPad. However, a client is using their Surface Pro the forms are > so tiny that she can't use them when accessing our application "on the > cloud". Otherwise, they look fine on a Surface Pro when running it > off the cloud. > > Does anyone have an idea? I do not think there is anything that the > people that are hosting our software can do. > > -paulw It will cost you, but have a look at a program called "ShrinkerStrether from Peter's Software (http://www.peterssoftware.com/ss.htm) This should shrink or stretch forms and all their controls to match the scr...

MS Remote Desktop Connection and Cisco VPN Client 4.0.3 D
Hi, I have a laptop that I would like to use MS Remote Desktop to connect to over hardwire Ethernet at the same time my VPN Client is using the WiFi adapter to connected to my office. I have no problem establishing the connection, but when I log into the VPN my Remote desktop session disconnects. Is there a way to configure the VPN client to allow this connection? Thanks, Peter Gonzalez petergon@gmail.com In article <hpFuf.11199$SH2.10419@fe12.lga>, PG <pgon1217@optonline.net> wrote: >I have a laptop that I would like to use MS Remote Desktop to connect to >over ...

ArcView 3.3. Database Access Extension
I am trying to update a SQL Server 2000 database from ArcView 3.3 using the above extension. The ODBC connection is made by supplying the sa username and password, which seems to have permission to do anything in the database. Yet, when it comes to 'saving the database table', a CanUpdate message sent to the recordset returns False, and the database is not updated. I have used the sample code supplied with the extension. Everything works up to the stage where the database needs to be updated. I have copied the relevant code below. My question is: If I'm making the OD...

Is there a way to update a web database from an desktop Access database?
Hi, I would like to be able to take records from an Access database (most likely 2010) and update them to whatever database is being used on a web server? For instance, I would like to extract someone's calendar from an Access application and let them sign in and see what their calendar is for a certain time period. I know how to extract the data from Access, but not how to post it onto someone's website (which could be using MySQL, SQL Server). -paulw ...

Web resources about - Remote desktop #3 - comp.databases.ms-access

Active Desktop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Windows 95 or NT 4.0 with Internet Explorer 4.0, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 Active Desktop was a feature ...

Last Chance for Desktop-or-Die Crowd: Google Cranks Up Search Benefit to Mobile-Friendly Pages
Brands and publishers that still haven't gotten around to building a responsive site might want to tweak their development roadmap, uh, yesterday. ...

Opera's desktop browser adds a built-in ad-blocker
... ads at the network level . And, as of today, Opera Software is also a member of this group. Opera Software just announced that its desktop ...

This app brings your entire desktop into the VR world with you
... you're browsing the Internet, watching Netflix or even playing a non-VR game, BigScreen is a piece of software that can bring your desktop into ...

Smart Reply in Desktop Google Inbox
... Inbox service has a feature that suggests 3 short replies. It was first added to the Inbox mobile apps and now it's available in the desktop ...

This Russian all-in-one desktop is just quirky enough to attract attention
... left over from 1999. The latest entrant seems more promising but is still one to file under "curiosity." It's a 21.5-inch all-in-one desktop ...

Here’s how Siri might get to your desktop
... getting Siri on your MacBook or iMac might seem like something out of a near-future like the one shown in Her by Spike Jones. Siri on the desktop ...

Opera's desktop web browser gets built-in ad blocking
If you use a major desktop web browser, you usually have to hunt down an ad blocking add-on if you're determined to purge intrusive promos from ...

Computer Sales Continue to Evolve Away From Desktop PCs, Says Report
As desktop PC sales continue to fade, steady sales of laptops and portables appear to debunk the idea that PCs are dead, the report finds.

AMD, Razer want to standardize external GPUs, bring desktop gaming to ultrabooks
For years, various laptop manufacturers and OEMs have tried to push external graphics chassis into the mainstream, with little success. It looks ...