Rounding when converting float to integer

Cint(3/2) = 2 (rounded up, I would have thought the answer would be 1)

Cint(5/2) = 2 (rounded down)

The Access help says Cint() rounds to the nearest even number, but why??

Do I need to "roll my own" integer conversion to get it to always round up
or down?

I looked at Cint(3\2) and Cint(5\2) which seems to consistently round
down... that may do.
--
regards,

Br@dley

comp.databases.ms-access 42659 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Br@dley wrote:
> Cint(3/2) = 2 (rounded up, I would have thought the answer would be 1)
>
> Cint(5/2) = 2 (rounded down)
>
> The Access help says Cint() rounds to the nearest even number, but why??
>
> Do I need to "roll my own" integer conversion to get it to always round up
> or down?
>
> I looked at Cint(3\2) and Cint(5\2) which seems to consistently round
> down... that may do.

Format(3/2)  -> 1.5  a string.  To get a number use Val(Format(3/2)).

Int(Format(3/2)) -> 1.  Int() removes the decimal.

Format(5/2) -> 2.5 a string.

Val(Format(5/2)) -> 2.5.  Int(Format(5/2)) - > 2.

--
MGFoster:::mgf00 <at> earthlink <decimal-point> net
Oakland, CA (USA)

0
lylefairfield (1852)
4/13/2006 2:37:54 AM
MGFoster wrote:
> Br@dley wrote:
>> Cint(3/2) = 2 (rounded up, I would have thought the answer would be
>> 1) Cint(5/2) = 2 (rounded down)
>>
>> The Access help says Cint() rounds to the nearest even number, but
>> why?? Do I need to "roll my own" integer conversion to get it to always
>> round up or down?
>>
>> I looked at Cint(3\2) and Cint(5\2) which seems to consistently round
>> down... that may do.
>
> Format(3/2)  -> 1.5  a string.  To get a number use Val(Format(3/2)).
>
> Int(Format(3/2)) -> 1.  Int() removes the decimal.
>
> Format(5/2) -> 2.5 a string.
>
> Val(Format(5/2)) -> 2.5.  Int(Format(5/2)) - > 2.

Ta. I guess my main question was WHY the Cint() rounds to the nearest even
number?? Just interested in the reasoning for implementing it that way.
--
regards,

Br@dley

"Br@dley" <dontlookforme@google.com> wrote in

> MGFoster wrote:
>> Br@dley wrote:
>>> Cint(3/2) = 2 (rounded up, I would have thought the answer would be
>>> 1) Cint(5/2) = 2 (rounded down)
>>>
>>> The Access help says Cint() rounds to the nearest even number, but
>>> why?? Do I need to "roll my own" integer conversion to get it to
>>> always round up or down?
>>>
>>> I looked at Cint(3\2) and Cint(5\2) which seems to consistently
>>> round down... that may do.
>>
>> Format(3/2)  -> 1.5  a string.  To get a number use Val(Format(3/2)).
>>
>> Int(Format(3/2)) -> 1.  Int() removes the decimal.
>>
>> Format(5/2) -> 2.5 a string.
>>
>> Val(Format(5/2)) -> 2.5.  Int(Format(5/2)) - > 2.
>
> Ta. I guess my main question was WHY the Cint() rounds to the nearest
> even number?? Just interested in the reasoning for implementing it
> that way.

So that the sum of a bunch of rounded numbers will approximate the sum of
the same numbers before rounding.

--
Lyle Fairfield
0
Br@dley wrote in message <e1k7c1$lqv$1@news-02.connect.com.au> :
> Cint(3/2) = 2 (rounded up, I would have thought the answer would be
> 1)
>
> Cint(5/2) = 2 (rounded down)
>
> The Access help says Cint() rounds to the nearest even number, but
> why??
>
> Do I need to "roll my own" integer conversion to get it to always
> round up or down?
>
> I looked at Cint(3\2) and Cint(5\2) which seems to consistently round
> down... that may do.

Check out these (watch for linebreaks in the links)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/modcore/html/deconconversionroundingtruncation.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;196652

--
Roy-Vidar

Lyle Fairfield schreef:
> Ceiling = -(Int(-d))

Wow! A quote from the Excel 3.0 manual ... ;-)

--
Paul

kaniest wrote:
> Lyle Fairfield schreef:
>
>>Ceiling = -(Int(-d))
>

> Wow! A quote from the Excel 3.0 manual ... ;-)

Everyone learns what they know from somewhere.
0
rkc1870 (593)
4/13/2006 11:18:08 AM
That's interesting to know. I got it from:

From:	 	Paul van Goudoever - view profile
Date:		Fri, Sep 18 1998 12:00 am
Email: 		"Paul van Goudoever" <pgoud...@sig.nl>
Groups: 		comp.databases.ms-access

This one handles reals as well:

Function RoundUp5(varNum As Variant) As Long
On Error Resume Next
    If IsNumeric(varNum) Then
        RoundUp5 = -Int(-varNum / 5) * 5
    End If
End Function

Unfortuantely, Paul doesn't post here anymore.

0
lylefairfield (1852)
4/13/2006 11:29:58 AM
Lyle Fairfield
> Unfortuantely, Paul doesn't post here anymore.

Not as often as I used to but ...

Bye,
Paul

Did Excel 3.0 have VB(A) enabled?

0
lylefairfield (1852)
4/13/2006 12:05:36 PM
Lyle Fairfield:
> Did Excel 3.0 have VB(A) enabled?

IIRC it had some macro language ...
A co-worker gave me the wow-comment when he saw the posting.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the smart Paul. Well, you could be Paul
VG, I suppose, as I've seen smart things posted by you perviously. If
you were Paul VG you would probably have noted over the years that I
have credited you with this function on several occasions, and forgiven
me for failing to do so in a quickie reponse late at night.

0
lylefairfield (1852)
4/13/2006 12:43:01 PM
I feel a pretty dumb right now, but I still think I hardly
deserve any credits for -(int(-x)). Maybe a tiny little
bit for first posting it in cdma.

I don't deserve as much credit as that. But it might help Bradley.

Assuming you are Paul VG you haven't posted much that's dumb here,
nothing that I have ever noted. If you have, it's compensated for by a
whole bunch of smart things you have posted.

So let's just forget this exchange and move forward.

0
lylefairfield (1852)
4/13/2006 1:45:21 PM
"Br@dley" <dontlookforme@google.com> wrote

 > Ta. I guess my main question was WHY the
 > Cint() rounds to the nearest even number?
 > Just interested in the reasoning for imple-
 > menting it that way.

It's called "Banker's Rounding" and it is what Microsoft chose to use, after
conferring with their customers.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

0
bouncer (4167)

YARDI Database converter to ms-access?
i am in a real bind here.. all i have is some data files.. no longer have a copy of yardi.. and i need to convert that database to access?? anyone have any ideas? ...

Convert Access 2003 database file to Access 2010
How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access 2010 file format? According to Microsoft (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the print options only. How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to display? My 2002-2003 Access database file has 3 tables, 19 queries, 5 forms, and 16 reports. After I open the file up it gives the "Security Warning: Soame active content has been disabled. Click for more details." then there is a button "Enable Content". Before and after I click the "Enable Button" the file tab only has print options available. Thank you for your help, jfcby jfcby <jamesfc30@gmail.com> wrote in news:f4dc9993-afa3-4fed-8180-22786eaa7f83@l14g2000yql.googlegroups.co m: > How do you convert a Access 2002-2003 database file to a Access > 2010 file format? > > According to Microsoft > (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/ > convert-a-database-to-the-accdb-file-format-HA010341552.aspx? > queryid=34ea405f95aa4cb8b8ffb2764afb4993&respos=0&CTT=1) it is > possible. When I tried this on the file tab it only displays the > print options only. > > How can I get the save, save & publish, and other commands to > display? ...

MS Access database
A client of mine has another 3rd party program which uses MS Access database. They want my to create an additional program which is to read this data. My problem is that the database has a password on it. I know there are cracks available at a cost of USD$45.00+. Does anybody have a free crack to retrieve the database password? Would this be unethical or be a copyright of reverse engineering violation? The data is owned by the client so I recon is would be fine to read the data! Regards, Lance It's your data. As long as you don't sell it or use their data in any software that you...

float to integer convertion
I have this functions, c3 and c2 that computes and return a float number. The problem is that wen I pass the result of c2 (float number) to c3(), in function apears to be an integer. Ex.: $calc2=c2(params); (float number) $calc3=c3($calc2); ($calc2 - float number) echo $calc3; (is not the number that supposed to be, because c4 computes $calc2 as if it were an integer: if $calc=39.96 it wil be converted in 39). What is the problem? I really can't see it. _____ function c2($j,$n) { //=(J54*100)/N47 $c=$j*100/$n; return number_format($c,2,",","."); } function ...

MS Access databases
Hello, I have been trying to read a simple MSAccess database and show the records on screen but no success so far. I have created a DSN (Data Source Name) in my Win 2k box and the connection goes ok. But when I try to return a ResultSet using a simple SELECT statement, ("SELECT * FROM MyTable") no records appear. Database is Ok. It is a very simple table. I don't get *any* error message but also no records from it. Is there anything special I need to do for accessing it? Does anybody have a simple code for accessing MSAccess databases? (From DSN creation till sample code) Thanks in Advance. Java Newbie. import java.sql.*; public class DataBase { public static void main(String[] args) { String data = "jdbc:odbc:YahooAddrBook"; // data base friendly nam try { Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver"); Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection( data, "", ""); Statement st = conn.createStatement(); String q = "SELECT * " + "FROM yahoo_ab " + // table name "WHERE (\"Last Name\" LIKE '"+ args[0]+"') "+ "ORDER BY (\"First Name\")"; System.out.println(q); ResultSet rec = st.executeQuery(q); while(re...

MS Access Database
Hi, I am working on a database to keep track all the caller's info in the database. For example: After the user entered a caller's information in the database, and when that same caller called back again the second time and then some of their information and also the client id automatically appeared on the screen so that the user don't need to retype them again. I want to keep track of each record as new records. The Id and first name will be the same. When I run a report I can link them all together and knowing that this person had called in twice! Any suggesti...

databases.ms-access
hi for fun masti, fashion, articles,mobiles, cars etc plz visit these sites http://www.familypk.com http://www.enttwist.com thanks ...

MS Access Database
Interested profiles should be delivered at versatilehr.farook@gmail.com Title: MS Access Database Location-NC Duration-3 months Skills & Experience: MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience developing MS Access applications. =95 SQL experience =95 ODBC =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB =95 Forms development =95 working with DB objects =95 Creating New Databases The Relational Model of Data Storage Creating Relational Database Tables Assigning a Primary Key to a Table =95 Joining tables in Database =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using conditions =95 Macros =95 Reporting =95 Using Datasheets =95 Customizing tool bars Farook Ahmed On 19 May, 19:15, Farook Ahmed <farook.versatil...@gmail.com> wrote: > Interested profiles should be delivered at > versatilehr.far...@gmail.com > > Title: MS Access Database > Location-NC > Duration-3 months > > Skills & Experience: > MS Access Database experience: Must understand and have experience > developing MS Access applications. > =95 SQL experience > =95 ODBC > =95 Importing and exporting excel spreadsheets to and from Access DB > =95 Forms development > =95 working with DB objects > =95 Creating New Databases > =A0The Relational Model of Data Storage > Creating Relational Database Tables > Assigning a Primary Key to a Table > =95 Joining tables in Database > =95 Queries and Advanced Queries using c...

how to convert an integer to a float?
Hi, I have the following functions, but ' dx = abs(i2 - i1)/min(i2, i1)' always return 0, can you please tell me how can i convert it from an integer to float? def compareValue(n1, n2): i1 = int(n1) i2 = int(n2) dx = abs(i2 - i1)/min(i2, i1) print dx return dx < 0.05 On Feb 27, 7:05 pm, "ying...@gmail.com" <ying...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, I have the following functions, but ' dx = abs(i2 - i1)/min(i2, > i1)' always return 0, can you please tell me how can i convert it from > an integer to float? > > def compareValue(n...

Web resources about - Rounding when converting float to integer - comp.databases.ms-access

Converting dry air to water: solution to Broken Hill's water crisis gains support
A one-man crusade by a Broken Hill resident to solve the historic town's water crisis by introducing air to water converters is gaining support. ...