Running a MS-Access BE and an SQL-Server BE on same TS Server

What are the implications of running a MS-Access BE and an SQL-Server
BE on the same Terminal Server?

Assuming that the TS can handle the load are there any other issues?
Thanks
Patrick
0
info5734 (61)

Patrick Fisher wrote:
> What are the implications of running a MS-Access BE and an SQL-Server
> BE on the same Terminal Server?
>
> Assuming that the TS can handle the load are there any other issues?
> Thanks
> Patrick

You either serve the Access "front end" as a terminal server published
application or you just stick an Access "back end" on it in which case the
server is nothing more than a file server.  Which are you talking about?
Certainly in the case of the latter the added load would be minimal.  If you
plan on installing Access on the server and running Access apps from the server
then the added load would be significant as your number of users climb.

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message.     Send instead to...

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)
5/3/2005 11:24:36 AM
Hello Rick

We are talking about a customer who currently runs 4 TSs with load
balancing running SQL Server to about 80 users, the data is held on a
5th TS, this system is running a program called scala and works at an
acceptable speed accross an ADSL VPN

Against my advice they have installed our Access97 Runtime using DFS
and BE on one of the TSs, this across the VPN is very slow when Scala
users a logged on.

They have restricted the Access Runtime to one server but of course it
is still running the SQL program as well.

I wondered whether there might be a clash between two databases
running on the same server or whether it was simply a question of
load.

My feeling is that they should have a dedicated server for our Access
Program

Patrick

On Tue, 03 May 2005 11:24:36 GMT, "Rick Brandt"
<rickbrandt2@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Patrick Fisher wrote:
>> What are the implications of running a MS-Access BE and an SQL-Server
>> BE on the same Terminal Server?
>>
>> Assuming that the TS can handle the load are there any other issues?
>> Thanks
>> Patrick
>
>You either serve the Access "front end" as a terminal server published
>application or you just stick an Access "back end" on it in which case the
>server is nothing more than a file server.  Which are you talking about?
>Certainly in the case of the latter the added load would be minimal.  If you
>plan on installing Access on the server and running Access apps from the server
>then the added load would be significant as your number of users climb.

0
info5734 (61)
5/3/2005 11:40:49 AM
Patrick Fisher wrote:
> Hello Rick
>
> We are talking about a customer who currently runs 4 TSs with load
> balancing running SQL Server to about 80 users, the data is held on a
> 5th TS, this system is running a program called scala and works at an
> acceptable speed accross an ADSL VPN
>
> Against my advice they have installed our Access97 Runtime using DFS
> and BE on one of the TSs, this across the VPN is very slow when Scala
> users a logged on.
>
> They have restricted the Access Runtime to one server but of course it
> is still running the SQL program as well.
>
> I wondered whether there might be a clash between two databases
> running on the same server or whether it was simply a question of
> load.
>
> My feeling is that they should have a dedicated server for our Access
> Program
>
> Patrick

Ok, then they are running Microsoft Access on one of the servers, not simply
hosting the back end on it.  I agree that this is not a good idea.  It's not
even a good idea to run terminal services and SQL Server on the same box.  Any
SQL Server that is doing any real work should be on a dedicated box.

--
I don't check the Email account attached
to this message.     Send instead to...
RBrandt    at       Hunter      dot      com

0
rickbrandt2 (2458)

Running MS Access db as a Linked Server on SQL Server
Hi, Looking for a quick and dirty on running an Access database as a linked server in SQL Server. Basically, the majority of my stuff is in SQL Server, but there is one lingering nightmare-of-an-Access-database no one wants to touch. I just want to create a linked server to use the Access db. So far I have not found a way to connect (under Security -> Link Servers in SQL Server), though I tried all kinds of drivers, connection strings, etc. What do I put for Product Name, Data Source, Provider String, (Location, Catalog)? Thanks a bunch. This might help; note the table about halfway...

MS Access, SQL Server, Web server
Scenario -------- I am planning to write an application using MS Access as front-end. User enters records (mostly 15 records or less per user per day) into an Access database. Having done that, users click a button to transfer these records to a web server hosting an SQL Server database (set up by a service provider). Each record represents a job; provider will update its status when a job is done. At the end of day, user will open up the database to enquire the records status, which will be retrieved from the web server (through HTTP protocol) A service provider will probably have 2000 records/jobs per day, which will be fetched from the web server to its PC for job scheduling purposes. Question -------- Can someone advise me as to how to go about doing this ? I have read a little on WinInet APIs of MS Visual Studio 6, but I am still not sure; eg how to get SQL server to send data to client PC using HTTP. Thanks for your advice. I can't really understand the scenario here. You are going to have to explain this better. 1. Who are the users? What do they do? Are they mobile in that they are not connected to the network when they are working, like traveling salesmen? 2. Who are the service providers? I'm assuming that these are not Internet Service Providers or Application Service Providers, but rather people who work for the company and do things for customers. What kind of jobs do they do? Do they provide their services in places where they h...

How to connect MS Access form to MS SQL Server
Hello all I created an application which use MS Access 2000 as user interface and MS SQL Server 2000 as backend. If I want to get data from MS SQL Sever 2000 and display them on the MS Access 2000 form, where do I set the database connection to the form (i.e. tell the form to get data from MS SQL server database)? Thanks Bon In Windows control panel, admin tools, data sources (ODBC), create a system DSN of type SQL server and fill in the parameters for your SQL database. In Access, select file / get external data, files of type ODBC. Select machine data source, select the DSN you created and the table(s) you need. ...

insert fails
Hi, I configured a linked server in MS SQL Server v8 pointing to a remote AS/400 DB2 database. I used Client Access ODBC driver (v7), installed it from a Client Access Express v4.5. Select/update/delete seems to be working fine, I just cannot execute an insert statement. Here's the error I'm getting: update as400..U1.TB1 set a = 4 select * from as400..U1.TB1 insert into as400..U1.TB1 ( a ) values (1) ------------------------------------------------------ Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 4 OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' reported an error. The provider did not give any inf...

Adding records to a SQL Server database from MS Access
Thanks in advance for your help. I have just upsized an Access database to SQL Server with the hope of using a fairly extensive Access application that was part of it. But now, the forms will not allow the addition of new records (the >* button is greyed out). The forms use a macro to advance the dataset to a new record. How can I get the additions (inserts) turned back on? Regards. ...

what is equivalent of format(date) function of MS Access in MS Sql Server 2000
Hi All, I am facing a problem with a sql what i used in MS Access but its not returning the same result in MS Sql Server 2000. Here i am giving the sql: SELECT TOP 3 format( MY_DATE, "dddd mm, yyyy" ) FROM MY_TAB WHERE MY_ID=1 The above sql in ACCESS return me the date in below format in one column: Friday 09, 2003 But in Sql server 2000 i am not getting the same format eventhough i am using convert function, date part function etc. Please if you find the solution would be helpful for me.. Thanks Hoque Hi If you field is a datetime, you can use the CONVERT function to conver...

Re: Accessing legacy data via MS SQL Server linked servers
Chuck, You might talk to MBFoster. They may have a solution for you. Imagesql has odbclink/se but I'm not sure if this will do the job for you. Imagesql is available to 7.0 and 7.5 users. I have found in some cases that MSAccess does a quick job of access legacy data with odbclink/se...(but that is going thur Imagesql). JDBC, java, perl may be another solution. These have classes for image. Hope this helps Cathlene Mc Rae HP Sr Response Center Engineer. * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/arc...

Php and DataBase Abstraction for mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access?
Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the same functions with the three different PHP db functions. I see that php_dba is listed as an extension, but I determine which DBs are supported. However, I think that it does not support the ones I need. Thanks David wrote: > Is there a good DataBase Abstraction layer that will handle the > mySql, Sql Server, and MS Access engines? I do not wish to write the > same functions with the three different PHP db functions. > > I see that php_...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
Paul, if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC driver of the respective target database. A small example showing access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver and database URL/logon fairly easily)... http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a sep...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anythi...

Moving data from MS SQL Server 2000 or MS Access XP to UniData 5.2.9
Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. --Ryan N. Ryan N. wrote: > Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte > level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch > initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 > or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. > > Any leads would be greatly appreciated. > > --Ryan N. Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then the scripting to move it on. www.asent.com Better yet, most likely you need a consultant. Check out Tony Gravagno. He's good at building interfaces, and has most of the tools pre-built. He is at http:(no spam)//nebula-rnd.com/ get rid of the (no spam) HTH, Patrick <;=) "(Latimerp)" <"(Latimerp)"@comcast.net> wrote: >Ryan N. wrote: >> Complete MVDBMS neophyte -I may not even qualify at the neophyte >> level- that needs a simple solution to move data -in batch >> initially...real-time eventually- from RDBMSs such as SQL Server 2000 >> or Access 2002 (XP) to UniData 5.2.9. >> >> Any leads would be greatly appreciated. >> >> --Ryan N. > >Accuterm, look at the Excel option, and then t...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and data...

US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45359032402)
US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45359032402) ========================================================================================= Position: Programmer Reference: ZYD00182 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Experience manipulating data and developing applications in Microsoft Access. A strong technology background including relational database principles and web development technologies. Experience in Visual Basic, SQL Server, Active Server Pages ...

US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45360132405)
US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45360132405) ========================================================================================= Position: Programmer Reference: ZYD00182 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Experience manipulating data and developing applications in Microsoft Access. A strong technology background including relational database principles and web development technologies. Experience in Visual Basic, SQL Server, Active Server Pages ...

US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45360132405)
US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45360132405) ========================================================================================= Position: Programmer Reference: ZYD00182 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Experience manipulating data and developing applications in Microsoft Access. A strong technology background including relational database principles and web development technologies. Experience in Visual Basic, SQL Server, Active Server Pages ...

US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45359314402)
US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45359314402) ========================================================================================= Position: Programmer Reference: ZYD00182 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Experience manipulating data and developing applications in Microsoft Access. A strong technology background including relational database principles and web development technologies. Experience in Visual Basic, SQL Server, Active Server Pages ...

US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45358457604)
US-TX-Austin: Programmer, MS Access, VB SQL Server, Active Server Pages; DH (45358457604) ========================================================================================= Position: Programmer Reference: ZYD00182 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Experience manipulating data and developing applications in Microsoft Access. A strong technology background including relational database principles and web development technologies. Experience in Visual Basic, SQL Server, Active Server Pages ...

Web resources about - Running a MS-Access BE and an SQL-Server BE on same TS Server - comp.databases.ms-access

Microsoft SQL Server - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Microsoft SQL Server is a relational database management system developed by Microsoft . As a database, it is a software product whose primary ...

Puppet unveils Windows Microsoft SQL Server module
... software company Puppet Labs has launched a range of new products to manage Windows environments. The new Puppet Supported Microsoft SQL Server ...

SQL Server best practices on Tintri - stand-alone instances
Computerworld Australia is the leading source of technology news, analysis and tools for IT decision makers, managers and professionals. ...

Microsoft updates cloud-based SQL Server to simplify management
Microsoft has added automated backup and patching for SQL Server databases running in virtual machines on its Azure cloud, in a bid to simplify ...

Price Drop: SQL Server Mobile Database Client
SQL Server Mobile Database Client 6.0.3 Device: iOS Universal Category: Productivity Price: Free, Version: 6.0.3 ( iTunes ) Description: Browse, ...

SQL Server for Linux coming in mid-2017
... executive vice president of the Cloud and Enterprise Group, announced today that next year Microsoft will be releasing a version of SQL Server ...

Microsoft Shares Gain 1.5% as Nadella Announces Launch of SQL Server 2014
Shares of Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) are vastly outperforming the Nasdaq in Tuesday's trading, up 1.5 percent to $39.77. News crossed the wires ...

Microsoft brings SQL Server to Linux
... and with other companies following suit, reliance on server solutions has increased. Today the company announces that it is bringing SQL Server ...

Microsoft to cut off support for SQL Server 2005
Announcement made in a blog post. Announcement made in a blog post. Microsoft announced today that it will end support for SQL Server 2005 on ...

What end of support for SQL Server 2005 means for CIOs
Microsoft’s support for SQL Server 2005 ends in April and just like with Server 2003, you should take the end-of-life announcements from Microsoft ...